Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  My 88 Fiero GT 14k miles (Page 47)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 49 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
My 88 Fiero GT 14k miles by BV MotorSports
Started on: 03-16-2012 02:48 PM
Replies: 1936 (68281 views)
Last post by: BV MotorSports on 01-13-2017 07:45 PM
rcp builders

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2015 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rcp buildersSend a Private Message to rcp buildersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Justinbart:

I put the car on 4 jack stands. Lower the cradle, about 6" on the pass side and rest the cradle on blocks. Remove trans mounts. Put jack under engine. Tip cradle down on drivers side and the trans will pop right off.

[This message has been edited by rcp builders (edited 04-11-2015).]

IP: Logged
davylong86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2015 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for davylong86Send a Private Message to davylong86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula:

Awesome! Hopefully this is the fix that sticks.

Agree, hope it turns out running as good as it looks. That's a nice car! And speaking of looking back in the past on this build, I hope you don't break this engine in by jumping curbs and doing lawn jobs, lol ! Just thought I would bring that up for the last time.
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2015 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Justinbart:

I put the car on 4 jack stands. Lower the cradle, about 6" on the pass side and rest the cradle on blocks. Remove trans mounts. Put jack under engine. Tip cradle down on drivers side and the trans will pop right off.

Even on an 88 with solid mounted cradle? I was just going to support the engine and swing the cradle down on the front 2 bolts.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2015 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BV MotorSports

4821 posts
Member since May 2001

Originally posted by davylong86:

Agree, hope it turns out running as good as it looks. That's a nice car! And speaking of looking back in the past on this build, I hope you don't break this engine in by jumping curbs and doing lawn jobs, lol ! Just thought I would bring that up for the last time.

Nothing like full boost burnouts in your OWN front yard!
Justinbart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2015 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BV MotorSports:

Even on an 88 with solid mounted cradle? I was just going to support the engine and swing the cradle down on the front 2 bolts.

I don't swing it down it makes everything too awkward.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
10.91@133.1

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2015 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Engine brace nearly finished. I just have to add simple cross braces to each strut tower.

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 04-15-2015).]

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2015 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Back up and running. So good so far. Going for a road test in the AM.

https://youtu.be/U_Zs8QSeSfc

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 04-30-2015).]

davylong86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2015 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for davylong86Send a Private Message to davylong86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds great! Looks great! Hope it stays that way for you. Have fun.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2015 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Took her out for a 30min ride today. WOOHOOO DOGGY she is gonna be fun. I got a few DTCs though. P0102, P0135, P0717. I have to check to see if the tune supports the ZZP fixed MAF doohicky and cheeck my o2 it seems. The VSS one...hmm gotta look into that one.

For your viewing pleasure: Test run 1

https://youtu.be/64JfBU0tzSw
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2015 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

For your viewing pleasure: Test run 1

https://youtu.be/64JfBU0tzSw

I like how it says "yessss!" between shifts
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2015 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice car, sounds great and its good to see you still here after all these years. Nothing like feeling the excitement of a full throttle run as you pass a 45 MPH speed limit sign!! On rural roads when there is nothing around there shouldn't be any speed limit.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

PFF
System Bot
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2015 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Only about 1/2-3/4 throttle. Just shaking it down. Scott and I agreed I shouldnt beat on it quite yet. I need some seat time to fall in love with it again.

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 05-01-2015).]

BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2015 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats!
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2015 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Swapped out the MAF and o2. Lets hope tonights ride goes well.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2015 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Car is doing great. Though I did find a few issues:

RR caliper is leaking- ordered a new one.
Random missfire(s) my MSD wires are junk. Looking for new wires online right now.
Battery is dead. Just picked up a new one
Alignment is off. She is nervous in the bends
Right channel of the stock radio is dead
I wired the gauges wrong. They are way too dim during the day. They also stay on if I turn the lights on then off. They wont shut off unless I turn the ign off.

I drove the car about 45min away to the farm. She is DIRTY!!!!!

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 05-05-2015).]

Formula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2015 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Random missfire(s) my MSD wires are junk. Looking for new wires online right now.

AC Delco
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2015 02:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Might be why I was getting missfires!

FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2015 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Naaah, that looks ok.

[This message has been edited by FieroMaster88 (edited 05-08-2015).]

eph_kay

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2015 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eph_kaySend a Private Message to eph_kayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have heat cracked many sets of wires on a 3800sc swap I had with some headers, and i didn't even drive the car that hard.

I swapped over to taylor monster 10.8mm wires I think, they were build your own style and worked great, they might have been 12mm if that is even offered I went with the biggest I could get to help insulate from the heat, and then used the fiberglass heat shields on any place that got really close to the headers. They were weird equal length headers that weren't built with a simple plug wire route in mind.

Good luck on fixing that it shouldn't be too bad, 3800s run a lot better without heat cracked wires

Chris
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2015 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got a set of Taylor Spiro-Pros. They seem to be working pretty well. I took the car to its first meet tonight. Everyone loved it. What a GREAT night. Man this has been a long time coming. The car is running AWESOME!!!!
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2015 03:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad you are finally seeing some light at the end of that tunnel...
PFF
System Bot
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2015 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I should have built the car in the 1st place, so now I am going to do just that. For those that DO care, its going to be a while before the 88 hits the streets.

10-16-2012 07:48 AM

LOL never thought it would take this long. Look at the date posted!!! Anyone in the NW area want to check her out or go for a ride, LMK. ITS AWESOME!!!

To do list:
Paint the modded panels
Fill the super mega awesome badges Will made for me and make them side marker lights. I'd love advice how to do this!
Alignment
Have the AC line made and service the AC system. Its getting warm in Fl
Get a head unit. The stock one looks awesome (so retro) but the R channel is out
Headliner recovered
Start wrapping the interior trim in Alcantera
One of my LED side marker lights is dying. I need to get this swapped out. I wonder if thast forum member still makes them?
I need to get started modding the spare set of damaged GT taillights I have
300 more miles of break-in and then its off to MASE Engineering to get dyno tuned.

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 05-10-2015).]

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2015 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BV MotorSports

4821 posts
Member since May 2001
Pic from last night. I took her to its 1st meet. Everyone was really cool and loved the Fiero. 2 guys with NSX's hung out with me and it was such a great night.

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2015 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm happy for you. Glad you are finally getting to enjoy the car. I'm amazed you stuck with it so long, I think I would have given up!
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2015 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks bud. I am one of those ppl that dont like anything to beat me. I guess I proved I am more stubborn than an inanimate object! lol

------------------
2009 G8 GT Kook's 1 3/4 LT's, Kooks catted Xpipe, Magnaflow axleback, Vararam CAI, HSRK, HPTuners, Atari gauges

1988 Fiero GT L67, GT4067S, w2a, F23, & more

1987 Fiero GT 3.4TDC Road Racer.

ƒ13r0'$ rµ£3

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2015 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Leaking front motor mount replaced and it was a bit of a pig to do. I found my oil filter housing is leaking a bit. I snugged the bolts up, lets hope that has it. I also had to trim off one of the "ears" on the bottom front of the F23 as it was bumping the cradle under load. I also think my serp belt is making contact with itself on the run from the AC comp to the tensioner pulley. I think it is making contact on that run where its REALLY close to the water pump pulley. I may add a simple idler (non-adjustible) to space it out a bit. And the minor tweaks continue.

Pic of how close the belt is:

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 05-13-2015).]

Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2015 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Pic of how close the belt is:

Too bad you can't rotate the entire tensioner about 45 degrees toward the firewall side of the engine. It would shorten up that hugely long span of belt, and also force it away from the WP pulley. It would also buy you some more room between the pulley and the decklid, if that's an issue. (Don't know that it is.)
It would also allow more wrap on the alternator pulley. The negative is that there would be a few degrees less wrap on the A/C compressor. Not that either would be an issue. Just a thought.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 05-13-2015).]

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2015 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
200 more miles till I have enough miles on it to feel confident to haul the car to MASE for a dyno tune. The car is running REALLY good. I am half tempted to do some full boost burnouts in my driveway and jump the speed bumps in my neighborhood. LMAO.

I still haven't done anything with the AC lines. I just don't have time but damn its getting hot outside.
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2015 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad it's running good. Ready to see some dyno videos!

------------------

88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder, W2A, T25 Turbo, water/meth injection
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project
01 BMW 525i: daily driver

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2015 03:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Pic of how close the belt is...

This is probably a really dumb question (I don't know that style engine at all, and I don't want to review 47 pages in this thread for a possible answer ), but with that belt wrap... won't the water pump end up being rotated backwards?
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2015 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its turning the correct way.
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2015 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

This is probably a really dumb question (I don't know that style engine at all, and I don't want to review 47 pages in this thread for a possible answer ), but with that belt wrap... won't the water pump end up being rotated backwards?

Long answer...
Any pulley that has the grooved side of the belt riding on it, will rotate in the same direction as the engine.
Any pulley that has the flat side of the belt riding on it, will rotate in the opposite direction as the engine. This is by design.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2015 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The long span will allow it to flop and strike the WP pulley. To effect Raydar's suggestion of rotating the idler, you can use a belt about 1 inch shorter and it would cause the idler to tilt more, thereby raising the belt away from the WP. With the idler standing almost straight up, I can't see how it has a lot of effect.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2015 03:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Its turning the correct way.

Originally posted by Raydar:

Long answer...
Any pulley that has the grooved side of the belt riding on it, will rotate in the same direction as the engine.
Any pulley that has the flat side of the belt riding on it, will rotate in the opposite direction as the engine. This is by design.

Of course I can't see the water pump pulley well enough to determine whether there are grooves on it or not, but yes, I figured this must be the way this engine/water pump is designed, unlike any engine I've ever worked on... 2.5, 2.8, SBC, BBC, etc.

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-23-2015).]

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2015 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

The long span will allow it to flop and strike the WP pulley. To effect Raydar's suggestion of rotating the idler, you can use a belt about 1 inch shorter and it would cause the idler to tilt more, thereby raising the belt away from the WP. With the idler standing almost straight up, I can't see how it has a lot of effect.

Hmm, now I need to find my old 88, l67 build thread and see how I did the idler. What you see here is whodumbass' work.

HA! I found my old thread.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...100421-1-072572.html

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 05-23-2015).]

eph_kay

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2015 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eph_kaySend a Private Message to eph_kayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another way to cheat the belts being to close is just to get a larger pulley for the tensioner, its a little cheeky but it works just fine, I ended up with the largest ribbed pulley they had on my swap and it worked just fine, gave just enough clearance, you will probably have to get a slightly larger belt though.

Chris
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2015 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just tinkering a bit here and there. I am trying to figure out why whe is leaning out up top. I pulled the vac line off the RRFPR and set it to 50psi with the engine running. Once the vac line is back on, its got about 44psi. Now I need to see if I get 65psi at WOT (1# per 1psi of boost). Other than that, dyno tuning is not that much farther out.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2015 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just picked up an original '82 Mustang hood scoop for the decklid. Hopefully that can help cool off the engine bay a bit. I am waiting on MASE to get back to me when he has an appt available to tune the car. Getting close now!
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2015 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I slowly tinkering on bits here and there. I have and appt with Mase on the 14th to geet thee car tuned. Mase blocked out the entire day for the Fiero. He is keen to get his hands on it! I am working on the AC lines. Its just way too hot not to have working AC here in Florida. I found a guy that likes a challenge and wants to do the lines. RESULT! I love ppl that like a good challenge. Square peg in a round hole are my kind of ppl. My old boss Gary (of Garys Customs) is going to respray the modded panels in stock red. Once thats all done, all it really needs is a new headliner. I picked upa nice 1.5 din aftermarket HU and got that installed during the week. Still sounds like crap but it works.

Now for the big thing, I am REALLY thinking about selling the car. Why you ask? Because I really want another R32 Skyline GTR. Now that they slip under the 25yr import law, I got to have one. So the Fiero may be on the market very soon.

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 06-26-2015).]

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2015 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cant believe she is 27 yrs old!

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Added a new headunit!

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 49 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock