Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  My 88 Fiero GT 14k miles (Page 43)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 49 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
My 88 Fiero GT 14k miles by BV MotorSports
Started on: 03-16-2012 02:48 PM
Replies: 1936 (68280 views)
Last post by: BV MotorSports on 01-13-2017 07:45 PM
Formula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2013 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
search youtube for l67 harmonic balancer knock, sounds similar

[This message has been edited by Formula (edited 09-04-2013).]

IP: Logged
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2013 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCeMx18P2aM
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2013 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Boy that would be a much easier fix and its only like $60!
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2013 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BV MotorSports:

Boy that would be a much easier fix and its only like $60!

you should have like 3 of them by now.

It could just be installed wrong too.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2013 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The noise sounds heavier than a lifter issue, but I still wouldn't rule a lifter issue.
After running the first set of springs with the retainers bottoming out on the valve seal bosses, you easily could have damaged a lifter, pushrod or rocker arm.
Justinbart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2013 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Noise would change if it was t/o, clutch, transmission.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
11.17@132.6

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2013 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My vote. Similar but a little less when mine was going. Idling made noise. Rev it a little and no noise. You got to be the unluckiest engine swaper on this forum
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2013 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

My vote. Similar but a little less when mine was going. Idling made noise. Rev it a little and no noise. You got to be the unluckiest engine swaper on this forum

Thats exactly what mine does. BTW new balancer is setting on the workbench. Got to wait for the A/C to cool off the garage before I go swap it out.

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2013 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BV MotorSports

4821 posts
Member since May 2001
Good news, I can go get my $103 bucks back. Bad news, balancer wasnt the problem. $20 says its in the clutch/pressure plate/HTOB.
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2013 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry to see such bad luck. I have a great idea for an updated thread title...IT WENT BOOM!

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 09-06-2013).]

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2013 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Back to the second part of my comment above....
PFF
System Bot
Formula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2013 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
damn, I thought for sure that was it.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2013 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

damn, I thought for sure that was it.

I know right??? That rev it up and the noise goes away bit is really odd.

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2013 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Before I have an aneurysm, I am going to put the 88 on the back burner and get Garths LQ1 '85 GT up and running. I need a break and so does my wallet. Thank you all for the support. I just got to step back for a little bit.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2013 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When you decide to get back to it, I would suggest removing the transmission, taking out the clutch/pressure plate, then reinstalling the transmission so you can start the car again. By removing the clutch/pressure plate you isolate those components as well as the transmission, so if the noise stays its engine related, if it goes away, its clutch/pressure plate/transmission related.

Under scenarios like this, I prefer to support the engine from above, remove the cradle and pull the transmission out the side. It makes quick work for transmission removal and installation without having to completely disconnect everything and refill all the fluids.
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2013 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I just got to step back for a little bit.

Wow, I don't blame you.

I've seen this thread before but never really read thru it, until today.

You must be on your 4th or 5th engine installation (I lost count).

I'm thinking that with all the time & money that's been invested in this car that you could have had an LS376-480 with a 6 speed & been driving it 4 weeks later.

Sorry you've had such bad luck building your super Fiero.

Archie
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2013 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by Justinbart (edited 09-07-2013).]

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2013 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

Wow, I don't blame you.

I've seen this thread before but never really read thru it, until today.

You must be on your 4th or 5th engine installation (I lost count).

I'm thinking that with all the time & money that's been invested in this car that you could have had an LS376-480 with a 6 speed & been driving it 4 weeks later.

Sorry you've had such bad luck building your super Fiero.

Archie

Whats that they say about hindsight? Lesson learned.
mptighe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2013 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your thread is the only one that makes me feel a little less crappy about my luck right now. Sorry man, I really am. One day, you and I will be driving our cars. I guess nosrac is in our little club too. We should start working on a secret handshake.
rcp builders

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2013 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rcp buildersSend a Private Message to rcp buildersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I need a break and so does my wallet. I just got to step back for a little bit.

You just need to spend your money a bit wiser and fly one of the Michigan boys down for a long weekend and get it done! G/L Ray

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2013 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rcp builders:

You just need to spend your money a bit wiser and fly one of the Michigan boys down for a long weekend and get it done! G/L Ray

I am on the phone with Scott all the time. Its nothing he or I did. Its getting rid of everything done to the car while it was in the "home of smoke and mirrors". Problem is, every time I think I got the last bit of crap whodumbass screwed up, I get proved wrong again. Luckily, the clutch & trans are pretty much all that is left. Well, then there is the F23 mounts and turbo, headers, Y-pipe... oh good grief!
PFF
System Bot
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2013 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mptighe:

Your thread is the only one that makes me feel a little less crappy about my luck right now. Sorry man, I really am. One day, you and I will be driving our cars. I guess nosrac is in our little club too. We should start working on a secret handshake.

Yep, I am right there in the 3800 Turbo bad luck club with you guys.

I have to take a breather, and the I can come back for more.

We will all get there if we stick to our guns and keep plowing along.

With my luck I will get her running like the beast she is and then break my stock trans as soon as I open the can-o-whoop-azz at the track ...
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2013 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nosrac:

Yep, I am right there in the 3800 Turbo bad luck club with you guys.

Amateurs....

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
11.17@132.6

nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2013 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Justinbart:

Amateurs....

LoL...from the guy who has broken more engines and transmissions than any other member on PFF.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2013 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had some 2.5mm thick structural carbon fiber cut at UDT on their cnc waterjet. With the material left over I had enough to have 3, 2 1/16th (52mm) 3 gauge panels made for the GT aux gauges. I am keeping one, Garth hasn't got back to me if he wants one. So I may have one, possibly 2 panels for sale. Remember, this is REAL, 2.5mm thick structural carbon fiber. If anyone wants one, they are $100 each. Never to be made again. My photobucket should be back up any day now, I'll post pics when I get them back from UDT.

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 09-12-2013).]

FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2013 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I had some 2.5mm thick structural carbon fiber cut at UDT on their cnc waterjet. With the material left over I had enough to have 3, 2 1/16th (52mm) 3 gauge panels made for the GT aux gauges. I am keeping one, Garth hasn't got back to me if he wants one. So I may have one, possibly 2 panels for sale. Remember, this is REAL, 2.5mm thick structural carbon fiber. If anyone wants one, they are $100 each. Never to be made again. My photobucket should be back up any day now, I'll post pics when I get them back from UDT.

I'd be interested in one.
NoMoreRicers

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2013 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NoMoreRicersSend a Private Message to NoMoreRicersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I might be in for one, but I'm gonna wait for the pictures.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2013 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
photobucket says I am on the NO-NO list for 7 more days.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2013 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BV MotorSports

4821 posts
Member since May 2001
NoMoreRicers

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2013 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NoMoreRicersSend a Private Message to NoMoreRicersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you want to host some pictures temporarily until your Photobucket is back, I would recommend imgur. You don't even need to sign up, just upload.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2013 03:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Woohooo photos back up!
PFF
System Bot
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2013 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not Fiero related but, this is where I got the CF pieces from. Nothing like cutting up a $1000 case.

Done, for now. I just got an oven, powder coating rig and media blaster. Oh the fun to come!

Gonna take it all back apart and powder coat the chassis black chrome and have the waterjet guys redo the top vent trim to match the front intake bezel. I tried to brush the aluminum myself but the clear blushed a few days after bringing it into the house. It cured for 3 days in the hot ass garage, but it wasnt enough. So I had to strip it and polish as best as I could.

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 10-24-2013).]

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2013 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So in keeping with my break from this devil-spawn of a car, I am going to get busy transplanting the LQ1 from Garth's 87GT into his "new" 85GT this weekend. For those that asked about the parts from the 87 or taking the 87 roller off my hands, I should be in a better position by next weekend. Otherwise, and I hate to do it, the 87 is going to the scrapyard.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2013 02:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Few things, the 87GT (roller) is stripped and going to be picked up for scrap by P&P. I cant believe no one wanted a FREE 87GT roller with a clean title. Garths 85 is almost done. I am just waiting on a few odds and ends before I put the engine back in. I now help my friend from time to time at his powder coating shop and have access to some cool stuff! So expect my 88 to get the full treatment. If anyone wants pc work done, let me know! I have tons of stock parts so I can offer an exchange service on some things. This keeps your down time at a minimum.

As for the 88. Well, its still setting in the exact spot I parked it when it broke (driveway). Once the 87 is gone and the 85 can roll round, it will go back in the garage and get torn apart. Not looking forward to how much its going to cost me this time. Lets hope its just in the clutch/trans. Good news is, I can now powder coat whatever I want, ceramic coat the headers, y-pipe and downpipe. Hey, I got to look for something good.

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2013 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Getting close to finishing up the 85GT. Then I'll get on the 88.

Its been a good 20+ yrs. Rest in piece ol girl

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2013 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well it fought me every step of the way, but I proved even more stubborn than an inanimate object... ????

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2013 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
E mail sent.

Nelson
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2013 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had 3 of these 2.5mm thick structural carbon fiber gauge panels made. The response has been overwhelming. I am looking into making more but I need to source some CF sheets.

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2013 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BV MotorSports

4821 posts
Member since May 2001
I also got more done on Garth's 85 but ended up getting an antibiotic resistant string of pneumonia so I have been pretty much incapacitated for the last 3 weeks.

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2013 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
P&P offered me $50 and will haul away Garths old 87GT for free. I hate to see it go to waste like that (clear title and all) but, I cant have it here. Why the HOA hasn't busted my balls over it yet is a mystery. One last time before it goes....

FREE 1987GT roller w/ clear Virgina title and all the parts I DON'T need FREE
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 49 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock