Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  My 88 Fiero GT 14k miles (Page 40)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 49 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
My 88 Fiero GT 14k miles by BV MotorSports
Started on: 03-16-2012 02:48 PM
Replies: 1936 (68280 views)
Last post by: BV MotorSports on 01-13-2017 07:45 PM
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Luckily I know my way around these setups enough that I can do phone tuning with some degree of accuracy. BV knows his way around a laptop well enough to make it a painless process and we hardly spent 2 hours working on it from start to finish. I sent over a file to import for a base setup, then I just told him ~10 other tables that needed to be changed and cranked it up to a perfect cold start and cold idle, drove around, made a few boost runs, then cranked up the timing and leaned it out a bit... Couldn't have been easier!

Trick is knowing what these cars dont need to have changed, more so than knowing what to change.

oh, and try another oil filter... could be something stupid killing off your pressure when warm.

[This message has been edited by darkhorizon (edited 07-03-2013).]

IP: Logged
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You are the 3rd person to tell me to try an oil & filter change before ripping it apart. I honestly think its going to be a loose rod bolt. But, it couldn't hurt to try. I'll go get some 15w40 Rotella and a ACDelco filter.

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 07-03-2013).]

nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm sorry to hear the bad newz. Great job tuning as DH obviously knows his $h!t and is usually pretty darn helpful. But to bust his ballz ...

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

I suggest you stop saying "hits".. It is completely non descriptive and pointless information.

Give some real data, psi/afr, logs, spool rpm, observed lag, timing, etc. Also suggest going open loop unless you really know what you are doing with that setup.

FIrst hit under boost pulled up 13 degrees of timing at 11.1 afr with a good rich spike during spool .

nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nosrac

3520 posts
Member since Jan 2005

Originally posted by BV MotorSports:
14.7psi, 15-16deg of timing at WOT and the AFR is around 11 or so. Damn this stupid car!!!!!!!!

How do you know it was ONLY 14.7 psi? The stock 2 bar map ONLY goes to 14.7 psi so you could have been running wayyy more boost.

You didn't mention that you have a 3 bar map connected to your Aeroforce or something. Do you have a 3 bar map?

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ummm... thats a very good point. I didn't even think about that!!!!!!!!!!!!
Justinbart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nosrac:

How do you know it was ONLY 14.7 psi? The stock 2 bar map ONLY goes to 14.7 psi so you could have been running wayyy more boost.

You didn't mention that you have a 3 bar map connected to your Aeroforce or something. Do you have a 3 bar map?

I doubt he could have been that much over since he is on pump gas with terribly inefficient intercooler.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
11.17@132.6

Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well Bravo to Darkhorizon for getting it setup right finally it only sucks it has a problem now. May be something may be nothing. If the setup maxed at 14.7 you might have been much higher without knowing possibly I guess. I am quite sure it hauls ass tho. I rode in and drove a supercharged fiero with several mods and it was insane I can only imagine what the turbo setup with higher boost and less drag will do. Color me jealous man... Good luck with it hope you get it sorted and get to enjoy that boost without drama for awhile once you do. peace

Pete

------------------
"May the grins begin when you turn the key and hear the engine roar over your shoulder" ......Gall57 (slightly modified LOL)

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
P/N 886 on the MAP sensor, so its a 2BAR. I ordered a 3BAR p/n 12223861 & matching pigtail. On a side note, I said screw it and started pulling it apart.
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does the oil have bearing material in it? ....glittery sheen?

------------------
11.17@132.6

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep and there is oil everywhere. The pan, timing cover and oil filter adapter are all leaking...

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 07-03-2013).]

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got some work done tonight. I started the long process of pulling the drivetrain. I have a lead on a new GM crate engine. Now if only I can work out a good price! I also think I am going to send my y-pipe & DP to Fierobsessed and have them remade in stainless. If not I am going to send them and the headers off to get coated inside and out. I also have an idea on how to re-route the chargecooler lines as well as a few other things I want to "fix". Might as well make some improvements while I am in there.
PFF
System Bot
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

P/N 886 on the MAP sensor, so its a 2BAR. I ordered a 3BAR p/n 12223861 & matching pigtail. On a side note, I said screw it and started pulling it apart.

3bars dont work... and never will work. You can wire it to the EGR or aeroforce and create a custom readout.

i assumed you had a mechanical gauge Luckily I see from the scan it never really got much over 15 judging by fuel flow.

[This message has been edited by darkhorizon (edited 07-04-2013).]

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 01:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whats the problem with the 3bar MAP? As for the EGR pin on the ECU, I was thinking of running the aux output of the LC1 to it so we can datalog it. What do you think?
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New crate engine? I prefer them to be a little loose.

------------------
11.17@132.6

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Whats the problem with the 3bar MAP? As for the EGR pin on the ECU, I was thinking of running the aux output of the LC1 to it so we can datalog it. What do you think?

The 3bar can not be read by the PCM in any way other than raw voltage. You would just be using it as a gauge, the PCM will never read it.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The 3bar can not be read by the PCM in any way other than raw voltage. You would just be using it as a gauge, the PCM will never read it.

Oh, well that blows. I guess there is no re-scaling for it? I really hate multiple gauges, I guess I am going to have to order a boost gauge now as well. Well, atleast I have a use for that 3 gauge panel that goes in the aux location.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BV MotorSports

4821 posts
Member since May 2001

Originally posted by Justinbart:

I prefer them to be a little loose.

I love them good-n-tight.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Oh, well that blows. I guess there is no re-scaling for it? I really hate multiple gauges, I guess I am going to have to order a boost gauge now as well. Well, atleast I have a use for that 3 gauge panel that goes in the aux location.

you can wire a 3bar to an areoforce or the a/c pressure input on the ecu if you are not using it.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its Florida, definitely using the A/C!
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 01-01-2016).]

Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well....He did actually, he got to feel the rush of a 3800 turbo motor if not for just a little while anyways LOL... I have faith in the man, he is gonna get it sorted here soon. Then he is gonna drive it up here and let me do some boost runs in the bad boy...!! peace

Pete
PFF
System Bot
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nope, never. This car is cursed.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Still no idea on the shipping yet. I hope we can reach a deal on this GM crate motor. I want to get this turkey back up and prowling the streets instead of my garage!
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2013 02:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No new news on the car or the engine.... yet.

I did do some porting/cleanup on my downpipe. I received a few spings for the BOV & EWG and a MLS gasket for my leaking v-band flange at the turbo to DP surface. I am goign to mail out the headers, y-pipe and DP to get ceramic coated this week.

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 07-09-2013).]

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2013 02:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BV MotorSports

4821 posts
Member since May 2001
Oh yeah.. I still need to figure out where to get an oil cooler for my L67. What was it you said to use Scott?
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2013 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Might be easiest to use a sandwich adapter at this point. Should be a standard size out there that would work well.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2013 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I spoke with Jeff in Atlanta. We are talking about the motor in his Bonny. Good thing, he is willing to meet me 1/2 way so it will cost me a tank of gas to get it. I still prefer the new GM crate motor but the cheapest shipping quote has been $440.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2013 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I spoke with Jeff in Atlanta. We are talking about the motor in his Bonny. Good thing, he is willing to meet me 1/2 way so it will cost me a tank of gas to get it. I still prefer the new GM crate motor but the cheapest shipping quote has been $440.

Bummer, how does jasper and junkyards manage to do it? I can get a motor from japan for comparitively cheaper than florida I guess.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2013 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bummer, how does jasper and junkyards manage to do it? I can get a motor from japan for comparitively cheaper than florida I guess.

Can you help your friend find a shipping company? Dude, we spoke, you know where I am on this. I dont want to have to do this again anytime soon. Help a brother out!
USAF FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2013 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USAF FieroGTSend a Private Message to USAF FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i have been hearing a lot of horror stories about whodeanie and also an accusation of theft. anyone care to elaborate?
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2013 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by USAF FieroGT:

i have been hearing a lot of horror stories about whodeanie and also an accusation of theft. anyone care to elaborate?

Nope. You must be misinformed.

You should be able to get the engine shipped for under $200 if you go to the depot or freight center to pick it up.

------------------
11.17@132.6

[This message has been edited by Justinbart (edited 07-09-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2013 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by USAF FieroGT:

Look in the trash can.

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2013 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nothing new to report. Still trying to find a good deal for shipping. Now we are going to go with business to business shipping method. I had my friend Rob see what he could find for me. Since he is a regional manager for Tuffy, I figured his automotive contacts could find me a good L67 @ trade price. What did he find? A 99k mile 2001 GTP motor, complete, for $1000. No way!!!!

Edit Oh yeah, since I am going to part out Garths old '87GT, I am going to pull the new brake booster off and install it on my 88. This way I can get rid of the S10 booster and get my pedal back to the way it should feel!

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 07-13-2013).]

FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a s10 booster on my 88. The pedal feels fine, no different than before. You sure it's a booster problem?
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2013 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure. I didn't get to drive the car before Dean got his hands on it. It stops fine, but the pedal has a lot of travel and goes to the floor. I have pressure bled the brakes and it helped a bit with feel.
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2013 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, the pedal in my car does not go to the floor, it's nice and firm. Can you pump the brake pedal solid with the engine off? Maybe you got a bad brake booster. You're not the first person to complain about a soft pedal after the s10 booster swap.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2013 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am just lucky like that. LOL

On a side note, if all goes well this weekend, I should be able to order my new crate motor on Monday!
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2013 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wooohooo! I'll be buying my replacement engine tomorrow!! Thanks to Scott aka DH for helping me find it!
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2013 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wooohooo! I'll be buying my replacement engine tomorrow!! Thanks to Scott aka DH for helping me find it!

Crate engine or J-yard? You keeping same CAM ST1 or are you upping the ante?
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
GM crate engine. There is a bit of mystery surrounding what cam is in my car. I wont know anything till I get it out of the car.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 49 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock