Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  My 88 Fiero GT 14k miles (Page 38)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 49 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
My 88 Fiero GT 14k miles by BV MotorSports
Started on: 03-16-2012 02:48 PM
Replies: 1936 (68281 views)
Last post by: BV MotorSports on 01-13-2017 07:45 PM
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BV MotorSports:

Its not a long crank, its a hard crank.. Ever take a distributor car and give it too much/little advance? It will hit, then pause, then crank. That is exactly what mine is doing.

Timing can not be modified to cause that, you cant retard beyond 14btdc or advance byond 60btdc, neither would cause slam bang cranking. Your harmonic balancer would be the only part that could cause timing issues to cause a pause like that.

I would look more at the starter/battery.
IP: Logged
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have experienced the labored cranking when the crankshaft sensor was on its way out.
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

I have experienced the labored cranking when the crankshaft sensor was on its way out.

I had to replace one on my last L67 Fiero.. that job can suck it.

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 06-19-2013).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Interesting.
If that's the case... Since that engine is possibly a mish-mash of different pieces, and the PCM isn't necessarily the one that came with the engine, I would be tempted to have a case learn performed, before I started looking for other stuff. (I know this is true of other engines. Assuming a 3800 is the same?)

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You are correct. And no it hasnt been through the case learn process that I am aware of.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2013 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh yeah, I kinda cheated on the Fiero a bit and got some new bits for the G8!

Before: 245/45/19 all around

SHINEY!!!
After: 245/45/19 w/ 19x8 front and 275/35/19 19x9.5 rear. Running Bridgestone Potenza RE760's just like the Fiero. These things HOOK!!!!

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 06-20-2013).]

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2013 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Interesting.
If that's the case... Since that engine is possibly a mish-mash of different pieces, and the PCM isn't necessarily the one that came with the engine, I would be tempted to have a case learn performed, before I started looking for other stuff. (I know this is true of other engines. Assuming a 3800 is the same?)

All a case learn is going to do is enable misfire detection.. It has nothing to do with base ignition. The PCM does not send much for timing modifications during start, and unless you made some EXTREME (bolded and underlined) changes its not going to cause the motor to start poorly.
GADJet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2013 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dude those new G8 wheels are the bomb! I am sure its not a 5x100 lug pattern though. :-( I would love to have those on my Fiero!
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2013 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GADJet:

Dude those new G8 wheels are the bomb! I am sure its not a 5x100 lug pattern though. :-( I would love to have those on my Fiero!

Breyton GTF2's and they are awesome!! Since I am painting the Fiero the same MGM color as the G8 (only in satin) I'd love to get matching wheels as well. Sadly, 5x120mm.....

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 06-20-2013).]

Justinbart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2013 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
dem wheels

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
11.17@132.6

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2013 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I went to pay for the alignment during lunch. They were able to sort it out no problem. Well, there was one problem. The LF upper ball joint's retaining bolts were completely stripped out. The guy couldnt believe that it made it to their shop! YIKES!!!!!! He replaced the bolts free of charge. Nice guys at Lamar's. Old school too.

LOL at Justin don't be hating on my baller wheels.
PFF
System Bot
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2013 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BV MotorSports

4821 posts
Member since May 2001
I was playing around with HPT and switched off closed loop. Guess what? The car started to idle much better. Imagine that! However, I also (prior to doing this) have P0133, P0717 & P1133 DTC's.
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2013 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The wheels on the G8 look good. Better than what I have on my 5 series.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2013 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMaster88:

The wheels on the G8 look good. Better than what I have on my 5 series.

They look so good I had to order some 2007 CTSV brembo's & 2010 Camaro rotors to replace my ugly ass brakes that are on full display.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2013 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like those wheels. Always preferred 5 (narrower) spokes. Especially gunmetal.

Originally posted by darkhorizon:
All a case learn is going to do is enable misfire detection.. It has nothing to do with base ignition. The PCM does not send much for timing modifications during start, and unless you made some EXTREME (bolded and underlined) changes its not going to cause the motor to start poorly.

Makes sense, I guess. I'll have to take your word.
All I know about case learn is what I've read on the various forums, since everything I've messed with is OBD1.
The general consensus seemed to be that if it's not correct, it can make the engine run poorly. Sometimes with a code/MIL, sometimes not.
Just threw it out there, since I figured that it hadn't been done with that engine / PCM combo.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2013 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Before:

After:

The very front hangs down a bit more than I like so the shop said if I remove that section and bring it in, they will take about 30mm out of the height. That should tuck it up a bit better.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2013 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BV MotorSports

4821 posts
Member since May 2001
Cold start clip:

http://youtu.be/HL_AC0m-xK4

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 06-21-2013).]

infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2013 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 01-01-2016).]

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2013 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sounds neat. borla seems pretty cool.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2013 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sounds neat. borla seems pretty cool.

Thanks Scott. Like I said before, its got this odd sound. I wasn't expecting it to sound anything like this. Man, I just want to get this thing tuned so I can fall in love with it all over again. Or set it on fire and roast marshmallows... either way seems as feasible as the other.
Jfrost

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2013 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JfrostSend a Private Message to JfrostEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That exhaust sounds awesome! Definitely not your typical sounding 3800.

------------------
Project L67 Fiero

PFF
System Bot
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2013 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was trying to sort out why 1st & 3rd are hard to engage. I pinned the shifter in 1st and went to adjust the cables and they are spot on. What I did find kinda worries me. Looks like I am going to have to stiffen up the shift brackets.

http://www.youtube.com/watc...H4o&feature=youtu.be
zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2013 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That sounds AWESOME!! I know it's been a long journey for you with this car, but hang in there I think it will be worth it in the end.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2013 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks Scott. Like I said before, its got this odd sound. I wasn't expecting it to sound anything like this. Man, I just want to get this thing tuned so I can fall in love with it all over again. Or set it on fire and roast marshmallows... either way seems as feasible as the other.

have you determined that it is untuned yet?
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2013 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

have you determined that it is untuned yet?

Considering you looked at the datalogs yourself, and Chris Henry has as well, I'd say of course! You guys have both said pretty much the same thing. Only Chris went into much further detail. We are working on it. There may be a way around the closed loop issue. I had to send him a copy of my cam card. Though like he said, remote tuning isn't what the car needs. However, he agrees I need to get it "driveable" and put some miles on it before taking it to get professionally dyno tuned. I'd hate to trailer it to Jacksonville and have an issue arise that may have been found during the break-in period. I want to get about 500 miles on it first. Steady as she goes...

I'd also like to thank you and everyone else for their advice, input, and support along the way. Yes you too, even in your DH kind of way. LOL

Edit: Before I am asked yet again. I am taking the car to Mase. He has tuned several of my previous cars and I trust him. For that very reason, it is worth the 5hr drive.

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 06-23-2013).]

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2013 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BV MotorSports

4821 posts
Member since May 2001
Too much?

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2013 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I might be tempted to put some "T Type" emblems from an 80s Regal on the rockers, and leave it at that.
Give everyone a moment.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2013 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That would be cool!
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2013 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
GgGGGGrrrr RRRRR I am getting fed up with all these "tuners". How damn hard can it be to tune a freggen L67? Its always the same damn line(s) too. "Why did your last tuner do that"? "Its easy, it just needs XXX and YYY". OK so why cant anyone get this car to run correctly? Its just too far to take the car to Jacksonville (Mase) and hope everything goes well. With my luck, it will explode on the dyno. I have got to get this driveable so I can put some miles on it first. I just don't trust it otherwise.

*sigh*
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2013 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Considering you looked at the datalogs yourself, and Chris Henry has as well, I'd say of course! You guys have both said pretty much the same thing. Only Chris went into much further detail. We are working on it. There may be a way around the closed loop issue. I had to send him a copy of my cam card. Though like he said, remote tuning isn't what the car needs. However, he agrees I need to get it "driveable" and put some miles on it before taking it to get professionally dyno tuned. I'd hate to trailer it to Jacksonville and have an issue arise that may have been found during the break-in period. I want to get about 500 miles on it first. Steady as she goes...

I'd also like to thank you and everyone else for their advice, input, and support along the way. Yes you too, even in your DH kind of way. LOL

Edit: Before I am asked yet again. I am taking the car to Mase. He has tuned several of my previous cars and I trust him. For that very reason, it is worth the 5hr drive.

The amount of "tuning" this car needs is very little. The stock ECU comes "pre tuned" for stuff like timing and fueling curves, as well as all the drivability stuff that you would "tune" on other platforms. The small tweaks required are just to really make it read more boost over the stock tune. The cam is not going to throw off anything on a maf sensor car, as it is big enough to ruin the stock O2 sensor system, but small enough to not cause cam reversion surge through the maf sensor.

Setting up the maf table slightly will get around the tricks, but they should be dead nuts from zzp's base file. The rest is most likely done as well.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2013 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

darkhorizon

12279 posts
Member since Jan 2006
Could I have an up to date "mod list" that I can reference? I really want to know what maf sensor is in the car, as well as any maf interceptors that are put on it. Also, could you send over the latest HPT read off the PCM?
PFF
System Bot
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2013 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lets see:

PT67 Turbo .68ar
ZZP fuel rails
ZZP FPR (43.5psi)
PT 50# injectors
340lph "stealth pump"
Comp Cams 76-000-9 cam (ST4 ??)
130# PAC valve springs
ZZP Full Stack w2a intercooler
Tial EWG
Tial BOV
98 ECU
Headers
3" Exhaust
Phonedawgz wiring harness
F23

No outside boost control (spring pressure only for now)
No MAF manipulation (stock replacement Delphi unit)

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 06-24-2013).]

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2013 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can you tell me more about the maf ? Stock tb? What year tb ?
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2013 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Can you tell me more about the maf ? Stock tb? What year tb ?

The engine is a 2001 Regal GS (or so I was told).
TB is a stock 98 GTP unit but someone removed the screen
MAF is a replacement Delphi unit for the 98 GTP

Justinbart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2013 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why didn't you keep the 01 TB? They are somewhat better.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
11.17@132.6

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2013 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Justinbart:

Why didn't you keep the 01 TB? They are somewhat better.

LOL, you assume I had any say in the matter. Dean did wtf he wanted to.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2013 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 98 maf sucks... You are going to need to get a fixed afc to make any more than 10psi. I also do suggest getting the 01 style throttle body because I never tried to tune a 98 style before.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2013 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll go see if I can find one @ pick & pull tomorrow. How about a N* one? Tons of those in the yard.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2013 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BV MotorSports

4821 posts
Member since May 2001
Also, I checked the pn for the new MAF I have installed. MF5519 is for a '98 Pontiac GP GTP. 2001 Buick Regal GS is MF5288.

Here is the T/B I have on the car. I dont know if there is any physical difference between the two.

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2013 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'll go see if I can find one @ pick & pull tomorrow. How about a N* one? Tons of those in the yard.

If you cant get one you can make the 98 work. Either way I would suggest getting an AFC before even getting started if you have any illusions of making more than 350whp.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 49 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock