Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  My 88 Fiero GT 14k miles (Page 37)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 49 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
My 88 Fiero GT 14k miles by BV MotorSports
Started on: 03-16-2012 02:48 PM
Replies: 1936 (68279 views)
Last post by: BV MotorSports on 01-13-2017 07:45 PM
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2013 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just because "MASE" sets your AFR to 11.5 and timing to 16 degrees, it doesnt mean it is going to make more power than if some guy down the road does the same thing.
IP: Logged
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2013 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

Just because "MASE" sets your AFR to 11.5 and timing to 16 degrees, it doesnt mean it is going to make more power than if some guy down the road does the same thing.

Block tuning is for beginners... MASE is no beginner.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2013 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BV MotorSports:

Block tuning is for beginners... MASE is no beginner.

What is block tuning?
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2013 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

What is block tuning?

I thought you were a "tuner"?
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2013 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BV...big shout out here in your thread to say you were right. Should have listened long ago and retrieved my car and parts. I wanted to believe in the good and the promises from "he who shall never be named again" made but they turned out to be empty.
FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2013 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnyrottin:
BV...big shout out here in your thread to say you were right. Should have listened long ago and retrieved my car and parts. I wanted to believe in the good and the promises from "he who shall never be named again" made but they turned out to be empty.

You where not the only one that fell for Dean's narcissistic lies and it didn't help with his cheerleaders backing him. Where are they now? with their tails between their legs.

"Dean's the man!"
Actually no, he's just a common thieve.

------------------
'88 GT, 3800 SC II, IMSA/MadCurls widebody combo, Choptop, Borla exhaust, GT-One NSX Headlights, RX-8 mirrors.
FGTO Build thread ~> Link

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2013 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It's all good. I'm sorry you got screwed like the other Whodumbass customers.
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2013 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
He must now be called "he who shall not be named".
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2013 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

He must now be called "he who shall not be named".

I like Paul's better... "Whodeanies Customs, where customers cars, money, and dreams disappear like magic"!
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2013 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Look what arrived today!

I can not express how happy I am with this exhaust. I hope it fits as well as it looks!

WOW!!!!
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2013 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
that is really nice looking. Can't wait to hear a youtube clip.
PFF
System Bot
Justinbart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2013 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks awesome! I really need to get a tig welder! $$$$

How big was the box or was it just tagged or wrapped up?
------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
11.17@132.6

[This message has been edited by Justinbart (edited 05-17-2013).]

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2013 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Justinbart:

That looks awesome! I really need to get a tig welder! $$$$

How big was the box or was it just tagged or wrapped up?

Thanks, Fierobsessed did an awesome job!

Package:
The package is 43 LBs, 14x22x55
NoMoreRicers

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2013 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NoMoreRicersSend a Private Message to NoMoreRicersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So you had it in your house two hours ago, why isn't it on the car yet? Slacker!
Formula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2013 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NoMoreRicers:

So you had it in your house two hours ago, why isn't it on the car yet? Slacker!

The awesome exhaust that Justin made for my car is sitting on a couch in my garage, the dump pipe is pretty fun to drive around with.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2013 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NoMoreRicers:

LOL I know.. just not all that excited about the car anymore. I need to install it, verify the downpipe length and how much needs trimmed before the flex joint. Thats why that part wasnt welded on yet. Then its a matter of removing the downpipe and welding on the Vband.. and adding a bung for the wb02.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2013 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not much to report. I knocked out a few odds and ends. Hopefully I'll be able to get back to working on this thing after the 12th.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2013 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BV MotorSports

4821 posts
Member since May 2001
Oh yeah, I ordered a speedhut double gauge pod for the dodge neon. Fits like complete ass. There has got to be a better fitting one. Anyone know?

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 06-04-2013).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2013 06:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Oh yeah, I ordered a speedhut double gauge pod for the dodge neon. Fits like complete ass. There has got to be a better fitting one. Anyone know?

Originally posted by David Bartlett:

20100 is the correct pod, It's designed to fit an Acura Integra, 2 Door 90-93 but fits the Fiero perfectly. I have one myself...

I don't know this for sure, since I don't use one...

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 06-05-2013).]

Formula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2013 06:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got one from the fierostore and it fits ok. Its just a generic one that is on top of the oem pillar.
JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2013 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd assume you already purchased your gauges but ill throw this out there anyway. PLX makes a very thin digital gauge about 1/2" thick, and it can monitor 16 different sensors. It's called a DM-6, I used a very thin double stick tape and installed it on the flat part of the dash under the RPM tach. Im currently using it for wideband AFR and boost but plan on adding additional sensors, it works well.

[This message has been edited by JCircs (edited 06-05-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2013 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a Aeroforce Interceptor and a LC1 wb02. Granted, the aeroforce has an .5v input for the wbo2 but, since I have the gauge, I might as well run it.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2013 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I drove the car to the exhaust shop today. It actually ran fairly well! The alignment makes it feel really loose though. They are going to fit the exhaust and weld it all up and do an alignment on it. I really dont think they are going to be able to do that last job, so I may end up taking it to Lamar's. Then, if all goes well (oh, please not ANOTHER jinx) its off to be tuned.....
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2013 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So I noticed a few things while driving around today. Here they are:

Doesn't like to hot start. It will start, it just struggles. It has a new battery and is kept on a battery tender at night. IIRC it has 700cca. I think it may be in the tune though.

1st & 3rd are difficult to engage. It feels like a throw issue. I have played with the custom cables a bit but haven't quite got them right yet. They are the new cables from California Push Pull specifically for the F23 swap.

Something doesn't feel right with the engine/trans mounts. it feels like the engine is trying to move around. I need to double check it. I know I check eveything while the cradle was out. I guess I may need to upgrade the trans mounts, they are the stock items.

Alignment is WAY off.
Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2013 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey man at least you are driving it finally LOL... The little issues can be dealt with as you go along. It looks pretty good too. Hows the power dept.? enjoy it man you've earned it. Wish you were closer I'd love to go for a ride in that bad boy. Peace

Pete

------------------
"May the grins begin when you turn the key and hear the engine roar over your shoulder" ......Gall57 (slightly modified LOL)

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2013 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IDK, I havent got on it yet. It only has a base map from ZZP in it. Once the exhaust is fitted and a bung is added for the wbo2 I can start datalogging. Then ZZP (Turbo Tim) should be able to dial her in a bit.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2013 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

IDK, I havent got on it yet. It only has a base map from ZZP in it. Once the exhaust is fitted and a bung is added for the wbo2 I can start datalogging. Then ZZP (Turbo Tim) should be able to dial her in a bit.

I wouldnt expect much if any tuning needed afterwards... You are really used to running jank speed density systems or something because maf cars like this are cake.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2013 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If there ever were a time when I wished you were right, this would be it. Though what about the hard start when hot issue? I know you looked at the datalogs, and I haven't done any adjustments like you suggested. Mostly because I didnt understand what I was looking at in HPT (hey atleast I am honest!). It acts like there is too much timing during cranking. But only when its hot. Also, the coolant temps were pretty much dead on 185 all day.

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 06-18-2013).]

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2013 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BV MotorSports

4821 posts
Member since May 2001
OHHHH!!!! I almost forgot!!!!!!

Turbo Tim suggested something really cool. My HPT is the basic kit. It doesnt have the input on the side of the controller for the wbo2 input. Had I paid attention when I bought the damn thing, I would have got the deluxe version... Anyway, he suggested I take the 5v sensor lead from my LC1 (white or green, I cant remember) and run the wire to the EGR pin of the ECU. That way it will log the wbo2. Pretty neat huh?
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2013 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If there ever were a time when I wished you were right, this would be it. Though what about the hard start when hot issue? I know you looked at the datalogs, and I haven't done any adjustments like you suggested. Mostly because I didnt understand what I was looking at in HPT (hey atleast I am honest!). It acts like there is too much timing during cranking. But only when its hot. Also, the coolant temps were pretty much dead on 185 all day.

I have never had a car not start on me... Typically any idle issues are related to lack of timing with the st5 cam, but unlikely to cause starting issues. Most long crank situations would be related to fuel pressure issues.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2013 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its not a long crank, its a hard crank.. Ever take a distributor car and give it too much/little advance? It will hit, then pause, then crank. That is exactly what mine is doing.

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 06-18-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
Jfrost

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2013 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JfrostSend a Private Message to JfrostEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Turbo Tim suggested something really cool. My HPT is the basic kit. It doesnt have the input on the side of the controller for the wbo2 input. Had I paid attention when I bought the damn thing, I would have got the deluxe version... Anyway, he suggested I take the 5v sensor lead from my LC1 (white or green, I cant remember) and run the wire to the EGR pin of the ECU. That way it will log the wbo2. Pretty neat huh?

That sounds like a great idea. I'm in your same situation, basic kit and I want a wideband sensor. Be sure to post how it turns out!

------------------
Project L67 Fiero

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2013 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Its not a long crank, its a hard crank.. Ever take a distributor car and give it too much/little advance? It will hit, then pause, then crank. That is exactly what mine is doing.

Front mount battery?
I hate to say "check your grounds", but...

What about your cable size? What about your connections, especially at the starter?

I'm running at least a #2 wire from the battery to the starter.
My grounds are two #4s from the engine to the frame, and one #4 from the battery to the stud where the brake booster mounts.
I have no difficulties whatsoever starting a 4.9. Hot or not.

I'm using a gear reduction starter (from an Allante) now. I used to have heat soak issues with the stock 4.9 starter.
Make sure you've got the correct starter. (I understand that L67s were supposed to have a gear reduction starter) and that it's good.
If it looks like a stock Fiero starter, I'll bet it probably is. I understand they'll interchange.

fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2013 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I gotta say, that's one sweet looking exhaust. Very well executed.

If some supplier could fab these for a 2.8l, I bet there would be more
than a few people interested. Plus...its a Borla.

Probably the best fabbed up cat. back I've seen here for quite some time.

They would have to get the attachment bracket points right on for a "factory" fit.
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 07:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You will need to create a custom PID to make the wideband read from the EGR. I can pm you the details if you need assistance setting it up. I've set them up to read the LC1 and the AEM widebands.

Dave
GADJet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great work bro... You should have done this all yourself from the beginning and saved yourself the headache and $$$$! Awesome car, I'm waiting on a dyno video then a road video.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Front mount battery?
I hate to say "check your grounds", but...

What about your cable size? What about your connections, especially at the starter?

I'm running at least a #2 wire from the battery to the starter.
My grounds are two #4s from the engine to the frame, and one #4 from the battery to the stud where the brake booster mounts.
I have no difficulties whatsoever starting a 4.9. Hot or not.

I'm using a gear reduction starter (from an Allante) now. I used to have heat soak issues with the stock 4.9 starter.
Make sure you've got the correct starter. (I understand that L67s were supposed to have a gear reduction starter) and that it's good.
If it looks like a stock Fiero starter, I'll bet it probably is. I understand they'll interchange.

It is a FMB! Not sure on the cables, they actually look like the Norms kit I have. Both cables are ran to the engine. However, I am going to add a few additional grounds since it can hurt.
It also has the gear reduction starter. I am so used to Fiero's, that was one of the first things I went to upgrade. LOL.

BMWGuru, I'd love to see what you did! Definitely PM me the info please.

Gadjet, I know, I know.. Hindsight and all. She is getting there.

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 06-19-2013).]

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BV MotorSports

4821 posts
Member since May 2001
I just stopped at the muffler shop to pay the bill during my lunch break. WOW!!! This thing sounds amazing. I cant really explain it. It doesnt have that typical 3800 "tractor" sound. It has a very unusual, flat plane crank Ferrari sound.

I have to pick it up tonight and then drop it off at Lamar's Alignment shop. Expect pics and vids in the next day or so. Its really killing me now. I cant wait to get this thing tuned and driving on a regular basis. WOOOHOOO .... Yeah, I am a bit excited.
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would love to hear how it sounds. Better put up a sound clip on youtube!
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Roger that!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 49 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock