Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  My 88 Fiero GT 14k miles (Page 33)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 49 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
My 88 Fiero GT 14k miles by BV MotorSports
Started on: 03-16-2012 02:48 PM
Replies: 1936 (68281 views)
Last post by: BV MotorSports on 01-13-2017 07:45 PM
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2013 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So after all the work I have done around here, I decided it was time do get some work knocked out on my G8... this is what I get. FML! I guess the Kook's LT and catted xpipe install will have to wait.

IP: Logged
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2013 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BV MotorSports

4821 posts
Member since May 2001
I managed to get the headers on between the rain showers.. I'll have to finish tomorrow. Its just not safe to continue with the lightning. BTW, this is hands down one of the easiest cars I have ever installed longtube headers on!
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2013 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Installing LTs without even dropping the subframe? Nice lol, I don't know how it is on G8s but I've removed TOGs from my grand prix with everything in there and it sucked. Can't imagine it on my Trans Am but I have crap edelbrock shorties right now.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2013 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nitroheadz28:

Installing LTs without even dropping the subframe? Nice lol, I don't know how it is on G8s but I've removed TOGs from my grand prix with everything in there and it sucked. Can't imagine it on my Trans Am but I have crap edelbrock shorties right now.

The G8 (non GT) had the 3.6 v6 which is much wider than the L76. So there is tons of room on each side of the engine. I put headers on my 94 Firechicken.. that sucked. Anyway, if it wasn't pouring rain, I bet I could of had the headers and catted xpipe exhaust installed under 2hrs.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2013 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Of course, you had to light it off with the open headers. Just for a minute. Right?
Or are you going to do that tomorrow?
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2013 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOL Oddly no. Don't wanna piss off my neighbors.

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2013 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I always liked the G8.
I think GM f'd up by not offering the GT with a 6 speed, though.
I was shopping them for a minute, when I bought my Challenger, but I wasn't about to spring for a GXP, just for the manual.
That's assuming I could have found one, anyway.

You did get my color, though.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 03-24-2013).]

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2013 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

I always liked the G8.
I think GM f'd up by not offering the GT with a 6 speed, though.
I was shopping them for a minute, when I bought my Challenger, but I wasn't about to spring for a GXP, just for the manual.
That's assuming I could have found one, anyway.

You did get my color, though.

MGM is an awesome color for the G8. Shows off its lines well. I am gonna paint the Fiero the same color, but satin. I wish the 6mt was offered on the G8GT. The 6AT is dim-witted and the 2-3rd flare is ridiculous. My tune made a huge difference by tweaking the shift firmness and such. Hopefully MASE will be able to work his magic during the dyno tune. They say the LT's and tune are good for 35-40whp. Ideally, there will be a maggie strapped on there (or procharger D1) by the end of the year. DOD delete & cam is a crap load of work. FI seems the best option. Even if its atleast $6k.

Yeah, good luck finding a GXP. If you do, they are one of the few GM cars holding an excellent resale. Better off getting a CTSv. Mmmmmm!
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2013 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Look what arrived today! Phonedawgz did an awesome job fixing Whodeanies mess. To the tune of an entirely new harness, complete with bulkhead quick disconnects.

mptighe

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2013 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good, no more excuses. Get that car on the road!
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2013 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah...we want to see what that thing is capable of doing!!!
PFF
System Bot
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2013 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mptighe:

Good, no more excuses. Get that car on the road!

Providing nothing else is wrong...
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2013 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BV MotorSports:

Look what arrived today! Phonedawgz did an awesome job fixing Whodeanies mess. To the tune of an entirely new harness, complete with bulkhead quick disconnects.

BERRY, BERRY .... Neoice.

Git er done !

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2013 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am going to have to drop the cradle. I just don't see how I can get this wiring installed, neatly, or have the piece of mind that nothing else is wrong. Problem is, its a two man job to do it safely. I have done it by myself in the past, but there has always been another adult around in case something goes wrong. Damn it... I put a call out to my friends to see if they can come help. problem is, spring break is in full effect here and everyone is putting in some long hours.

One step forward, two steps back. Anyone in the panhandle area (NW Florida) wanna come help? Food, drinks and plenty of slap stick humor to go around!
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2013 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like I was able to convince my friends to come lend a hand this weekend. Should be dropping the cradle on Saturday! Man, I hope I didn't just jinx myself.
Justinbart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2013 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hope you're not dropping the cradle just to put the wire harness on.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
11.17@132.6

Formula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2013 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Justinbart:

He is going to change the oil too.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2013 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nope, just to change the TPS sensor.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2013 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Quick update while I munch down my PBJ, we are in the process of dropping the cradle.. fingers crossed.
Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2013 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
is it out yet?
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2013 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula:

is it out yet?

Of course it is, we are eating pizza now. Cleaned up and done for the night.
PFF
System Bot
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2013 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Caution! Some of the photos below are pretty hard to look at... Like I have said many times, the more I look, the worse it gets. Dean Cain, you are gonna get exactly what you deserve. I cant wait to see you in court.

Whodeanie's idea of a 3" turbo back exhaust

Oopps someone forgot to finish the weld!

Bolts? We dont need no stinking bolts holding on the trans!

So much for the ceramic coating on the headers

Belt is rubbing when its running. Notice all the rubber dust.

I just dont get it. There is just no way the same person that started this build, finished it. There is some brilliant fabrication, and a bunch of careless negligence. I shall persevere and see this to the end.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2013 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Doing a little touch up here and there. Many of the little stuff is getting a fresh coat of satin black.

Heads
Throttle cable bracket
Tstat housing
MAF bracket

The custom UIM is getting a fresh coat of VHT wrinkle black.

As soon as my package arrives from Summit Racing, I'll repaint the VC's and charge pipe in VHT wrinkle red. Isnt it funny how the wrinkle black is availible at most part stores, but the red isnt?

Edit, oh yeah.. I am finding all kinds of loose bolts. Some were Deans... some (including two missing) were all Charlie S. *sigh*

One last thing. I noticed a zip tie on the shift mechanism. Turns out a C clip is missing so Dean used a zip tie... LOL

I also need to get a few bellhousing bolts and a vent for the trans. Mine is broken off flush in the trans. I have had some success by putting a screw in them to pull it out. Problem is, where can I find a replacement vent?

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 03-31-2013).]

NoMoreRicers

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2013 07:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NoMoreRicersSend a Private Message to NoMoreRicersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2013 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In 24hrs, this is gonna look great!

Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2013 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What does the inside of the intake look like? Did they at least do a decent job making it? It does look cool.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2013 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula:

What does the inside of the intake look like? Did they at least do a decent job making it? It does look cool.

You'd have to look back several pages. It was nasty inside. It was ground down, welded and milled flat by a local machine shop.
sc10e

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2013 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sc10eSend a Private Message to sc10eEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BV, I just read 95% of this thread the other night.

I am 19 and just bought a Fiero a little over a month ago, and it has been garaged since. I found it on a craigslist ad and it "needed a clutch and was good to go." Yeah, it needed a clutch, but it also had a 3.4L engine swap that was done horrifically. RTV seals for all the exhaust parts, no RTV OR gaskets between intake manifold section, bad hoses, a horribly done oil filter relocation, bad sensors, etc. Now, I have nowehere near the time and money invested that you do (your originally unfinished 30k job is what I make in a year at this age), but I understand what it feels like to keep finding more wrong as you take more apart and having that constant "facepalm" feeling as that's EXACTLY what I've experienced since buying this car. It is technically my first car too; I have been driving a newer Mazda 3 for a couple of years but it is in my Dad's name. What a great experience! Not. Luckily, my dad has the background knowledge to help me get through this bit by bit and I hope you do too. Best of luck to the both of us, I suppose.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2013 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sc10e:

BV, I just read 95% of this thread the other night.

I am 19 and just bought a Fiero a little over a month ago, and it has been garaged since. I found it on a craigslist ad and it "needed a clutch and was good to go." Yeah, it needed a clutch, but it also had a 3.4L engine swap that was done horrifically. RTV seals for all the exhaust parts, no RTV OR gaskets between intake manifold section, bad hoses, a horribly done oil filter relocation, bad sensors, etc. Now, I have nowehere near the time and money invested that you do (your originally unfinished 30k job is what I make in a year at this age), but I understand what it feels like to keep finding more wrong as you take more apart and having that constant "facepalm" feeling as that's EXACTLY what I've experienced since buying this car. It is technically my first car too; I have been driving a newer Mazda 3 for a couple of years but it is in my Dad's name. What a great experience! Not. Luckily, my dad has the background knowledge to help me get through this bit by bit and I hope you do too. Best of luck to the both of us, I suppose.

There are some good Fiero people in Va. I lived there for many years before getting stationed in the UK. You shouldn't have much trouble finding help with your car. Rule #1 Get the FSM's and learn to do everything yourself. And once you got that bit down.. dont get lazy and go against rule #1, if you do, be prepared to get ripped off. Trust me on that one. This car was the first time I let my guard down and I paid dearly. I guess it will be my lesson for the next 20yrs(?) of Fiero ownership. LOL I have too much in this one to let it go anytime soon.
sc10e

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2013 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sc10eSend a Private Message to sc10eEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

There are some good Fiero people in Va. I lived there for many years before getting stationed in the UK. You shouldn't have much trouble finding help with your car. Rule #1 Get the FSM's and learn to do everything yourself. And once you got that bit down.. dont get lazy and go against rule #1, if you do, be prepared to get ripped off. Trust me on that one. This car was the first time I let my guard down and I paid dearly. I guess it will be my lesson for the next 20yrs(?) of Fiero ownership. LOL I have too much in this one to let it go anytime soon.

I already have found a club local to the Fredericksburg area where I am located as well as emailed in an app for the major VA one around VA beach. I can't wait to get involved with everyone locally, it's like waiting on a part to get shipped vs. it being in stock locally, lol. I realize I'll probably be the "baby" of the group but I'm sure that will have its perks! haha
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2013 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ever just get the feeling something just wasn't right by looking at it? I am kinda funny about things matching. Bolts... I like them all to match. I noticed the trans mounts had all different bolts holding the mount to the trans. Turns out I am lucky I checked. 1 of 6 were the correct type and length. 4 of the bolts were 1 inch long.

PFF
System Bot
Justinbart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2013 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You might as well separated the engine and trans to see whats inside.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
11.17@132.6

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2013 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You might as well separated the engine and trans to see whats inside.

You are absolutely right... though I dread to think of what horrors await!
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2013 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You are absolutely right... though I dread to think of what horrors await!

Springs in the clutch disk? You don't need no springs...
Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2013 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

Springs in the clutch disk? You don't need no springs...

Clutch? You don't need no clutch!
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2013 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BV,
I read your thread often. I wish things had truned out differently with your transaction. I really do. There is no way anyone can deny that your car should not be the way it is. My only hope is that you actually get it finished the way you really wanted it in the first place. Wish I was closer to help lend a hand and learn some stuff along the way. You seem to have a good amount of knowledge. I'll keep reading and if we get down that way I will try to drop in for an hour or two and a chin wag...and to check out the beast. I don't know if you have named her yet but some Rolling Stones lyrics come to mind..."Beast of Burden". Hopefully one day she will bring you tears of joy.
JR
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2013 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

BV,
I read your thread often. I wish things had truned out differently with your transaction. I really do. There is no way anyone can deny that your car should not be the way it is. My only hope is that you actually get it finished the way you really wanted it in the first place. Wish I was closer to help lend a hand and learn some stuff along the way. You seem to have a good amount of knowledge. I'll keep reading and if we get down that way I will try to drop in for an hour or two and a chin wag...and to check out the beast. I don't know if you have named her yet but some Rolling Stones lyrics come to mind..."Beast of Burden". Hopefully one day she will bring you tears of joy.
JR

Her name is "the ex-wife". No explanation required. LOL
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2013 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BV MotorSports

4821 posts
Member since May 2001
Oil catch can in wrinkle black

Pass side & chargecooling pump

Wrinkle red on the valve covers (again)

Engine bay

Drivers side

A little badge engineering from Down Under!
Jfrost

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2013 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JfrostSend a Private Message to JfrostEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

A little badge engineering from Down Under!

Nice! Are you gonna make the front end match? I've always loved the G8 and would swap over to the Holden badges too if I ever get one.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2013 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jfrost:

Nice! Are you gonna make the front end match? I've always loved the G8 and would swap over to the Holden badges too if I ever get one.

Doing the front gets expensive. I'll be content with the GXP bumper conversion as I already have the matching rear diffuser.

I put the center caps on too!

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 04-01-2013).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 49 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock