Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  My 88 Fiero GT 14k miles (Page 22)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 49 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
My 88 Fiero GT 14k miles by BV MotorSports
Started on: 03-16-2012 02:48 PM
Replies: 1936 (68281 views)
Last post by: BV MotorSports on 01-13-2017 07:45 PM
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2012 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmwguru:

I guess you are either trying to spread more misinformation or you are very unskilled at building engines. I have installed ZZP's long blocks and they are still up and running without issues for years now. Sabooo's made 365whp/376ft lbs and is still running without the need of a trailer. My tech Ryan's had the bottom end balanced and the entire engine redone.....the only time that car has been broken was when he snapped an axle at the track.

I would prefer a built engine over a neglected, high mileage, sludge infested $300 complete engine that may have ran at one point. I'm not afraid to dump some cash into my hobby...and my car is my hobby.

Dave

So all motors from junkyards are sludge infested? All motors from junkyards are less reliable than built ones? Built motors are stronger than junkyard ones?
IP: Logged
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2012 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

So all motors from junkyards are sludge infested? All motors from junkyards are less reliable than built ones? Built motors are stronger than junkyard ones?

I didn't say that....I would believe a $300 motor would fit that description though. If I have to go to the junkyard, I don't touch anything with over 20,000 miles. Being in the business of repairing cars, I know how well the average person maintains their car...its scary. Once that option becomes extinct, then so will that choice.

Dave

[This message has been edited by bmwguru (edited 12-06-2012).]

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2012 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bmwguru

4692 posts
Member since Sep 2006

Originally posted by BV MotorSports:
I have one of those I'll sell you for $6k!

That sounds wonderful.....please sir, may I have another?

Dave
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2012 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ill let you know when my sludge infested time bomb, making signficantly more than double the power than any of the motors you have destroyed, finally bites the dust.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2012 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ill let you know when my sludge infested time bomb, making signficantly more than double the power than any of the motors you have destroyed, finally bites the dust.

Thank you, I'm glad that you have to compensate by saying that your's is bigger....I'll take your word on it.

TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2012 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
darkhorizon, do you truly believe that nobody but GM mechanics can build a bottom end to a motor that won`t blow up.
The world of any type of automotive racing would be awfully boring if people only used stock factory motors.
Formula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2012 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXGOOD:

darkhorizon, do you truly believe that nobody but GM mechanics can build a bottom end to a motor that won`t blow up.
The world of any type of automotive racing would be awfully boring if people only used stock factory motors.

I think he is implying that gm built a motor good enough for anything we are going to attempt on this forum. If zzp built a stock bottom end 8 second car with it, what is the point of "building" it and ending up with something less reliable (imo).

In my own personal experience, I've had better luck with oem motors then motors built by shops.

RULOOKIN

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2012 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had my L26 bottom end fully balanced cam installed heads from L67 compleatly rebuilt with valve job and 105 valve springs all installed with all new gasgets oil pan to LIM compleate engine for $1700 I did the swap my self, and under heavy critisisim by certin un named people that the L26 bottom end cant handle the boost from a SC, I ran a full intercooler 3 inch pully N* , XP cam , full exhaust
no issuses at all BV look into a L26 bottom end there are plenty of low mile ones out there, buy keep in mind if you do you will have to have the motor balanced with your flywheel and ither the L67 harmonic or the L26 one

Now we are going to hear from all the non belivers that L26 is not strong enughf !!!!
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2012 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOL as long as they are fighting each other over who's e-peen is bigger, and not accusing me of trying to cry wolf about Whodeanies, I don't care.
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2012 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree partially Formula and I`m not going to touch the bottom of my engine but just as people talk about how reliable the bottom of the 3800 is there have been a couple of people on here who have gone through spun bearings on a couple of junkyard motors before they got one that lasted. And although some people will talk of yards full of 3800 motors where they live, mostly up North, down here in Texas people are either hoarding them up or there just aren`t any. I go on Car-parts.com quite often just to see what`s available and most of the
motors that are on there are either 600 miles away or they want 1000 dollars for.

I should have specified 3800SC motors.
Here we have NAs but they cost as much as the SCs

[This message has been edited by TXGOOD (edited 12-06-2012).]

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2012 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXGOOD:

I agree partially Formula and I`m not going to touch the bottom of my engine but just as people talk about how reliable the bottom of the 3800 is there have been a couple of people on here who have gone through spun bearings on a couple of junkyard motors before they got one that lasted. And although some people will talk of yards full of 3800 motors where they live, mostly up North, down here in Texas people are either hoarding them up or there just aren`t any. I go on Car-parts.com quite often just to see what`s available and most of the
motors that are on there are either 600 miles away or they want 1000 dollars for.

I should have specified 3800SC motors.
Here we have NAs but they cost as much as the SCs

Same here.. they aren't cheap and you never know what you are getting. I have no problem what-so-ever with a rebuilt engine, as long as it was done correctly.
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2012 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Same here, they're $700 and up, with around 200,000 miles on them, occasionally 130,000. One closest to me wants $1200 for one with 75,000 miles on it.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2012 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

Same here, they're $700 and up, with around 200,000 miles on them, occasionally 130,000. One closest to me wants $1200 for one with 75,000 miles on it.

drive down here and get the one off my trailer for $300.

Most of my dad's family lives in manton/caddilac too... so I am up there a few times a year if you really need a motor.

[This message has been edited by darkhorizon (edited 12-06-2012).]

Justinbart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2012 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RULOOKIN:

I had my L26 bottom end fully balanced cam installed heads from L67 compleatly rebuilt with valve job and 105 valve springs all installed with all new gasgets oil pan to LIM compleate engine for $1700 I did the swap my self, and under heavy critisisim by certin un named people that the L26 bottom end cant handle the boost from a SC, I ran a full intercooler 3 inch pully N* , XP cam , full exhaust
no issuses at all BV look into a L26 bottom end there are plenty of low mile ones out there, buy keep in mind if you do you will have to have the motor balanced with your flywheel and ither the L67 harmonic or the L26 one

Now we are going to hear from all the non belivers that L26 is not strong enughf !!!!

Key words are "boost from the SC". The L26 wont hold for long with a turbo. There has been a few rods broken from members on Clubgp, myself included.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
11.17@132.6

mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2012 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Justinbart:

Key words are "boost from the SC". The L26 wont hold for long with a turbo. There has been a few rods broken from members on Clubgp, myself included.

Wasn't it stated that the L36 is actually stronger then the L26 in the same situation?
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2012 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

Wasn't it stated that the L36 is actually stronger then the L26 in the same situation?

I have always speculated this
RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2012 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know guys up here in Canada with L26 bottomend all stock other than a turbo cam and ported L26 heads, running turbos through L26 cast intake and they are pushing over 500Hp, motors are holding up fine, I think BV is not looking to drag race the car every weekend and trailer it home like some of you others,

I put the L26 motor as a alternative to a high mile L67, anything with over 100,000 MILES is a high mile motor in my opinion , 200,000Km cars dont sell here in Canada, I got my L26 with 2500KM not miles

BV dont be discouaged by the bottom end choice, plus i bet your L67 crank is still good as well as the pistons and rods all can be put into a L26 block they are exactly the same and you will get the aluminum oil pan you are looking for !
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2012 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RULOOKIN:

I know guys up here in Canada with L26 bottomend all stock other than a turbo cam and ported L26 heads, running turbos through L26 cast intake and they are pushing over 500Hp, motors are holding up fine, I think BV is not looking to drag race the car every weekend and trailer it home like some of you others,

I put the L26 motor as a alternative to a high mile L67, anything with over 100,000 MILES is a high mile motor in my opinion , 200,000Km cars dont sell here in Canada, I got my L26 with 2500KM not miles

BV dont be discouaged by the bottom end choice, plus i bet your L67 crank is still good as well as the pistons and rods all can be put into a L26 block they are exactly the same and you will get the aluminum oil pan you are looking for !

TBH, I dont care for drag racing. An occasional red light nationals & some road course action is fine for me. Hell, I just want to be able to drive the damn thing at this point. I am heading to P&P this weekend to see if I can find a complete 3800s2 N/A or L67 as a spare. I am also gonna grab the aluminum oil pan. Me and Garth have been working on his TDC car all week (he is visiting from Va). So that is priority right now.
RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2012 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well BV I would say get a L26 you will find more of them with way less miles than any SC motor have you tried Morad Parts yet if mot look them up they might have what you want in stock ! If you decide to go L26 you will get the aluminum oil pan and a cast intake if you want to change the whole set up you curently have!

http://moradpartscompany.com/
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2012 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pete Matos:

Correct me if I am wrong but it APPEARS that there is a crack in this picture between the intake port and the water jacket? It sure looks like a crack to me... Either way I agree with the others those heads are shot. Amazing that this was supposed to be a performance build. Man that sucks. Peace

Pete

It is cracked.... I am not sure if its that in the pic or silicone residue but the machine shop called and said one of the heads is cracked and needs replaced.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2012 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BV MotorSports

4821 posts
Member since May 2001
I want to point out something... this is MY motor (I personally took the pic in June)

This is the "mock up motor" that was in the car that day. (look in the oil fill)

This is what was in my car when I received it:

This is the pic of my heavily ported heads Dean sent me:

This is what I got:

Now, where is my motor?????????????????? I know its not in the '88.... But I am now 90% sure where it is..

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 12-12-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
mptighe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2012 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Damn man, I am sorry. Any word from the AG or your attorney? Like I said, have your attorney demand the Kermit motor.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2012 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mptighe:

Damn man, I am sorry. Any word from the AG or your attorney? Like I said, have your attorney demand the Kermit motor.

Would be better off "demanding" $200 so you can get a junkyard motor.
mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2012 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Would be better off "demanding" $200 so you can get a junkyard motor.

Funny every junkyard 3800 around here is quite a bit more than $200. The last one I paid for was over $1,000. BV (and quite a few others) don't appear to agree with you on the junkyard v/s rebuilt thing. I say let him try to get something that he feels is worth what he paid, but just like you my opinion doesn't mean much since it's not my situation.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2012 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I cant say anything right now. Standby

Edit, I'd love to have $200 L67's around here... add another $800 minimum.

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 12-12-2012).]

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2012 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BV MotorSports:

I cant say anything right now. Standby

Edit, I'd love to have $200 L67's around here... add another $800 minimum.

Why do I have a feeling you have never actually looked for a $200 3800?
mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2012 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Probably because he doesn't share your belief that a junkyard engine is reliable. It's his choice.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2012 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Because they dont exist here in NW Florida. If they are $200... they are scrap. Sorry man, but you are not being realistic. Not for my market anyway. Even as the Service MGR for Firestone back in '08 when I built my L67 Fiero, TRADE price for the engine I found was $500. And it had 103k on the clock.

I even posted about it here (I even had to drive 3hrs away to Pensacola to get it):
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...421-1-072572.html#p4
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...21-1-072572.html#p19

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 12-13-2012).]

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2012 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Probably because he doesn't share your belief that a junkyard engine is reliable. It's his choice.

Wait, whos engine has never ran more than 2 miles, and who has every record in the 1/4 mile thread, and daily drives it in the summer???
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2012 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

who has every record in the 1/4 mile thread, and daily drives it in the summer???

This Guy!!!!!! Mr. Dark Horizon....modeling his summer attire.

With this showpiece of an engine bay!!!!!!

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2012 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2012 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LMAO
mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2012 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mptighe

3321 posts
Member since Aug 2009

Wait, whos engine has never ran more than 2 miles, and who has every record in the 1/4 mile thread, and daily drives it in the summer???

I don't know, who's engine has never ran more than two miles? I can assure you it's not mine, so who? Also, who has every record in the 1/4 mile thread? It's not you, so who is it? There are faster 60' times, faster eta's, and I haven't checked but probably faster top speeds too. You definitely win the legend in your own mind record though

[This message has been edited by mptighe (edited 12-13-2012).]

Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2012 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't know, who's engine has never ran more than two miles? I can assure you it's not mine, so who? Also, who has every record in the 1/4 mile thread? It's not you, so who is it? There are faster 60' times, faster eta's, and I haven't checked but probably faster top speeds too. You definitely win the legend in your own mind record though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKm5xQyD2vE

Peace

Pete
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2012 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My Halloween costume was boss this year. I looked just like yellow suit guy.

There are faster 60' times, faster eta's, and I haven't checked but probably faster top speeds too.

You might want to look before you say random crap.
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2012 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

With this showpiece of an engine bay!!!!!!

Track days.

------------------
11.17@132.6

rcp builders

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2012 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rcp buildersSend a Private Message to rcp buildersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I live in SW Florida and was just at the pick and pull yeasterday. They had 3 L67 and they are $250. Ray
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2012 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2012 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
search flint for motors.

I bought 2 L67 longblocks 2 weeks ago for $150 each.... but you wont find it on carpart.
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2012 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So. Cash talks.

------------------
11.17@132.6

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 49 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock