Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  My 88 Fiero GT 14k miles (Page 21)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 49 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
My 88 Fiero GT 14k miles by BV MotorSports
Started on: 03-16-2012 02:48 PM
Replies: 1936 (68281 views)
Last post by: BV MotorSports on 01-13-2017 07:45 PM
Justinbart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2012 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BV MotorSports:

More bad news on my car today... I am going to need a completely new engine. I am so sick of this car, whats been done to me, and that my car has been butchered so badly by Whodeanies Customs... I just need to step back and take a break from cars in general. I'll be back....... I just cant do this right now.

Saw this coming.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
11.17@132.6

IP: Logged
mptighe

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2012 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

More bad news on my car today... I am going to need a completely new engine. I am so sick of this car, whats been done to me, and that my car has been butchered so badly by Whodeanies Customs... I just need to step back and take a break from cars in general. I'll be back....... I just cant do this right now.

Sorry man. Grabbing a better starter engine would probably be more time and cost effective than it would have been to completely go through that one though. Document everything. Get another shop's opinion to corroborate that the engine is junk and do what you need to do with an attorney. Glad people started taking back their negs, hopefully this will get better.
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2012 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BV, I know you are feeling at a low point but keep pressing. it is darkest right before the light.
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2012 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sorry man. Sucks for sure.
Why cant you get a different 3800, swap over the good parts from your current engine and put it in the car?
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2012 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMaster88:

Sorry man. Sucks for sure.
Why cant you get a different 3800, swap over the good parts from your current engine and put it in the car?

That is the plan.. I'll save up and do the swap over from top to bottom. You guys have to remember I dropped over $35k (if not more) on this stupid car since March.. all cash. I don't know about you guys, but that is a lot of coin on a toy. It went to a shop so I wouldn't HAVE to do this over. It was supposed to be a drop off, build, pick up and enjoy. LOL I got nothing of the sort! Damn I should of bought that M3 or built it myself......... Honestly, thats what I get for taking the 'easy' route.

My wife just deployed, finals, taking care of everything as a temporary single parent of 4, checking in on Francine's father (recent BAD, crippling stroke)... I am just burnt out on the whole car situation. Anytime I think of it, it physically makes me ill. I have way more important things to take care of right now.

Just one ride.. just one full throttle, tires boiling, stupid grin inducing ride.. Was that too much to ask for?

I do appreciate the encouragement from everyone (welcome change of pace..lol)... It means a lot.
Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2012 06:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh man MAJOR facepalm on that engine....you have no semblance of luck at all my friend, sounds like me LOL. Good Luck and yeah I agree it is time to step away from the turbo fiero for a breather...peace

Pete
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2012 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is a lot of money for a toy. I have at least that into my car over the years I'm sure. I've been pretty angry with it at times too, that's when I put it away for a while. Sounds like that's where you are. Take care of the more important things in life and come back to the car when things calm down. We will just have to wait to see this beast running.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2012 03:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMaster88:

That is a lot of money for a toy. I have at least that into my car over the years I'm sure. I've been pretty angry with it at times too, that's when I put it away for a while. Sounds like that's where you are. Take care of the more important things in life and come back to the car when things calm down. We will just have to wait to see this beast running.

Cheers for that. I want to see it running too!
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2012 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a quick update. The machine shop just verified that my Whodeanie "fully built race engine" is in fact a j-yard motor. Dean did install a cam, stock LS valve springs and head studs. Thats it. But then, we all knew this was coming.
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2012 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I just left Charile's shop. I am so upset right now, I cant think straight. I'll post some pics and update later....

No $30k engine builder would EVER, EVER let this pass.

These are NOT Comp Cams springs and retainers... they are used GM LS parts. Notice the black "coking" on the heads, springs and retainers. So even the heads weren't even hot tanked!

Deans "so good ZZP wants us to start porting their heads" port job. They arent even finished (look at the black marks from the sanding wheel)

Pretty obvious here:

Notice all the oil in the lower intake. UIM & ZZP full stack didnt have any oil on them. Oh, yeah, NO GASKETS... all silicone, on EVERYTHING

Metal & grinding wheel grit in EVERYTHING (its even in the TB vac ports!)

So where did all the money go that was spent on parts? Obviously not in my engine. This is just the tip of the iceberg I am afraid. I just cant believe what Charlie found when he opened my engine. Pics are pretty damming. Used parts, metal savings, grit, and silicone instead of gaskets. I said it before, and I am going to repeat it again.....

GET YOUR CARS OUT OF WHODEANIES CUSTOMS!

Anyone that uses silicone instead of new gaskets is simply a frigg'en dork. I don't call that a mechanic, period.
And some will say their ASE certified?? I call BS on that one.

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. All original.

joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2012 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's not true.
PFF
System Bot
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2012 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogt28:

Anyone that uses silicone instead of new gaskets is simply a frigg'en dork. I don't call that a mechanic, period.
And some will say their ASE certified?? I call BS on that one.

LOL a tube of silicone is only $5... gaskets aint cheap! It matches the rest of the engine.. complete **** !
IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2012 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man I wish you Goodluck on your car, I broke the starter mount off my 3800 block and was so upset that I would need a new engine and I have no money at all just graduated HS... But I got it welded and continued and finished my install! I really thought about selling off my project but pushed through and it's amazing... Goodluck man!

------------------
86 Fiero GTX project now tearing up the street, My build thread! 3800sc, interior, wheels, suspension and more! https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089483.html

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2012 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Just a quick update. The machine shop just verified that my Whodeanie "fully built race engine" is in fact a j-yard motor. Dean did install a cam, stock LS valve springs and head studs. Thats it. But then, we all knew this was coming.

That's a good thing.

------------------
11.17@132.6

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2012 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Justinbart:

That's a good thing.

Not when I paid 6k for a built engine...
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2012 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a junkyard engine.

------------------
11.17@132.6

InTheLead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2012 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for InTheLeadSend a Private Message to InTheLeadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Did you have a detailed list of what was going into the built engine? A build sheet signed?
FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2012 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wonder if your engine was put in here instead....

johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2012 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Uhg! I have to admit that this really makes me reflect...
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2012 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by InTheLead:

Did you have a detailed list of what was going into the built engine? A build sheet signed?

I sure do. One that Dean created and the Excel spreadsheet I made using that information.

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 12-05-2012).]

mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2012 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FierociousGT:

I was actually going to suggest he ask for the Kermit engine as a way for Dean to make amends.
PFF
System Bot
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2012 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FierociousGT:

Its somewhere, just not in my car. Anyone else get a built motor around the March-Sep time frame?
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2012 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BV MotorSports

4821 posts
Member since May 2001

Originally posted by mptighe:

I was actually going to suggest he ask for the Kermit engine as a way for Dean to make amends.

Good idea! Dean isn't going to talk to me. I made it clear all he had to do (before I found out my engine was garbage) was to come on here and publicly apologize and to accept responsibility for my car. He wouldnt do that and it was "free". Do you think he is going to give me an engine, even if I actually PAID FOR it.

If Dean wants me to go away, I need a new engine delivered to my house. Complete longblock to replace this garbage motor he put in my car. If he does this, he will never hear from me again. I will not pursue the matter further.

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2012 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe I missed it, what was wrong with the engine in it now?

------------------
11.17@132.6

mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2012 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kinda funny how that list states F35...that ain't no F35. Haha. And I know little things tend to add up with a swap, but man some of those prices are just crazy.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2012 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another update from the machine shop:

New oil pump
Federal Mogul bearings
Fuel cell bulkhead fitting in the oil pan for the oil return (WHAT?)
They cut the ridge out of the top of the cylinders and hand sanded the bores
New rings
Cleaned stock pistons
New timing chain
Stock everything else

The motor is being correctly rebuilt. Should be done in a week or two.

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2012 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BV MotorSports

4821 posts
Member since May 2001

Originally posted by mattwa:

Kinda funny how that list states F35...that ain't no F35. Haha. And I know little things tend to add up with a swap, but man some of those prices are just crazy.

Its the F35 joint fighter swap! Only available from Whodeanies!

mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2012 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Good idea! Dean isn't going to talk to me. I made it clear all he had to do (before I found out my engine was garbage) was to come on here and publicly apologize and to accept responsibility for my car. He wouldnt do that and it was "free". Do you think he is going to give me an engine, even if I actually PAID FOR it.

If Dean wants me to go away, I need a new engine delivered to my house. Complete longblock to replace this garbage motor he put in my car. If he does this, he will never hear from me again. I will not pursue the matter further.

I meant through your attorney.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2012 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is interesting that there isn't a machine shop charge on the sheet for hot tanking, boring, honing or anything in regards to the engine block. Without it, the information on the sheet leads me to think this was quoted as an overhaul (new bearings/rings, gaskets/seals, but without any new pistons or machine work), but I have no idea as to what was "said".

Also, when I look at the listed engine components in the quote and the posts from the findings at the machine shop, most of the listed "parts" were present and installed.

The other unknown I would be curious about is the comment of needing to get the total down in the 13K-14K range from a 20K quote. Was there another document that listed what items on the list were agreed upon not doing?

This most certainly is a bad situation overall...

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 12-05-2012).]

mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2012 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I sure do. One that Dean created and the Excel spreadsheet I made using that information.

Do you have anything with Dean's writing on it? That will help quite a bit.

[This message has been edited by mptighe (edited 12-05-2012).]

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2012 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

It is interesting that there isn't a machine shop charge on the sheet for hot tanking, boring, honing or anything in regards to the engine block. Without it, the information on the sheet leads me to think this was quoted as an overhaul (new bearings/rings, gaskets/seals, but without any new pistons or machine work), but I have no idea as to what was "said".

Also, when I look at the listed engine components in the quote and the posts from the findings at the machine shop, most of the listed "parts" were present and installed.

The other unknown I would be curious about is the comment of needing to get the total down in the 13K-14K range from a 20K quote. Was there another document that listed what items on the list were agreed upon not doing?

This most certainly is a bad situation overall...

Yes there is the current and updated file. I'm not going to post that one for obvious reasons. You also have posts in this thread from his engine builder & dean about the engine (look for the one about Dean not trusting ZZP's engines...LOL). Furthermore, I have the texts concerning the engine as well. And it was to get it to 13-14k UP from the original quote of 10k (for cost overruns, see I tried to be reasonable) and not the crazy 20k he tried to get in June.

PFF
System Bot
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2012 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Its somewhere, just not in my car. Anyone else get a built motor around the March-Sep time frame?

Its probably nowhere... a "built" 3800 is probably just a pile of scrap that should be thrown away anyway.... Never heard of a built motor getting anyone anywhere but on a towtruck.
mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2012 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

Its probably nowhere... a "built" 3800 is probably just a pile of scrap that should be thrown away anyway.... Never heard of a built motor getting anyone anywhere but on a towtruck.

Was ZZP's 8 second 3800 mostly stock? I'm asking, I didn't study up on it.
katatak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2012 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey BV,

Just now getting caught up on all this - Unbelieveable! Hope it all works out for you.

Ridge in the cylinders - that motor was never touched below the heads. The pics of the fine welding craftsmanship in the intake and the "globbed" on sillycone - Looks like it was put together in the parking lot behind Pep Boys!

Worried about everyone else's cars still there. Raises a lot of questions - mainly - where did everyone's money go?

Pat
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2012 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by katatak:
Worried about everyone else's cars still there. Raises a lot of questions - mainly - where did everyone's money go?

Pat

That big rock on his girls finger for one.. me thinks.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2012 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BV MotorSports

4821 posts
Member since May 2001

Been there, done that dude!
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2012 07:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I guess you are either trying to spread more misinformation or you are very unskilled at building engines. I have installed ZZP's long blocks and they are still up and running without issues for years now. Sabooo's made 365whp/376ft lbs and is still running without the need of a trailer. My tech Ryan's had the bottom end balanced and the entire engine redone.....the only time that car has been broken was when he snapped an axle at the track.

I would prefer a built engine over a neglected, high mileage, sludge infested $300 complete engine that may have ran at one point. I'm not afraid to dump some cash into my hobby...and my car is my hobby.

Dave
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2012 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmwguru:

I guess you are either trying to spread more misinformation or you are very unskilled at building engines. I have installed ZZP's long blocks and they are still up and running without issues for years now. Sabooo's made 365whp/376ft lbs and is still running without the need of a trailer. My tech Ryan's had the bottom end balanced and the entire engine redone.....the only time that car has been broken was when he snapped an axle at the track.

I would prefer a built engine over a neglected, high mileage, sludge infested $300 complete engine that may have ran at one point. I'm not afraid to dump some cash into my hobby...and my car is my hobby.

Dave

I have one of those I'll sell you for $6k!

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2012 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mptighe:

Was ZZP's 8 second 3800 mostly stock? I'm asking, I didn't study up on it.

Untouched factory. Melted an alum head off it without any damage to the block at pinks all out.
BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2012 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have one of those I'll sell you for $6k!

Only $6K... I'll take two please!

Good thing Dean is only installing mine!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 49 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock