Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  NEW Headlight Option In The Works! Gauging Interest... (Page 10)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 12 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
NEW Headlight Option In The Works! Gauging Interest... by doublec4
Started on: 11-08-2011 10:16 PM
Replies: 476 (31775 views)
Last post by: Will on 03-01-2018 07:52 PM
AL87

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 02:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ive been following this thread since the beginning, and I applaud your work. I really do, when I get an honest chance, i'd like to buy two sets. but there are two things that irk me.

1.) painting the lenses... im just cursed with perfectionism, id literally die if I messed up the painting (either too much/little or not straight and symetreical to the other lens.

2.) the lenses sitting flush at the back. my artistic eyes observe the lenses sit a little low in the hood and therefor I see a BOLD straight edge at the back of the rounded lenses, i feel if they say a bit higher up in the back to fit flush, it would stop attracting my eyes.
IP: Logged
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AL87:

ive been following this thread since the beginning, and I applaud your work. I really do, when I get an honest chance, i'd like to buy two sets. but there are two things that irk me.

1.) painting the lenses... im just cursed with perfectionism, id literally die if I messed up the painting (either too much/little or not straight and symetreical to the other lens.

2.) the lenses sitting flush at the back. my artistic eyes observe the lenses sit a little low in the hood and therefor I see a BOLD straight edge at the back of the rounded lenses, i feel if they say a bit higher up in the back to fit flush, it would stop attracting my eyes.

Thanks,

Painting the lenses isn't as hard as you'd think. You just need to get creative with how you make them the same on both sides. I put the lenses side by side, used some green painters tape and took some measurements. I also used some paper to trace the curves I made, so I could flip them over and replicate the same curve on the otherside. Not as difficult as you'd think.

Once you mask the lens, you're also painting from the inside. You really can't paint too much/too little. Just go heavy with the paint and get as many layers on as you can. This way, any light from projectors cannot penetrate through the paint.

The whole unit is adjustible up and down so the line you're seeing at the back can be made to be flush with the body work. I aimed the lights properly but still haven't adjusted the buckets to sit higher at the back. I should probably do that soon lol.

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 06-10-2012).]

OneSlowFiero

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OneSlowFieroSend a Private Message to OneSlowFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can't wait to get these on my car! Did someone step forth to make a harness to have all 4 on at once? Hairballrm said his FTL harness would work but I'm not sure if it would need to be modified or not to accommodate the bi-xenon projectors. I'm sure he will chime in again. Also, would you be willing to paint the lenses for a little extra money? Depending on the price it might be worth it to me and a lot of other people to offer it as an option. Just a thought
-Josh
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For everyone who wants a set, here is your chance!!

Just posted up a group buy in the mall!

Check it out!

//www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/062198.html#p0

Nobody has come forth with a wiring kit, however I just ordered 2 bixenon wiring controller relays off of ebay. I believe it will be as simple as using two of these now that I think about it. They were $10 each. They're coming from China so it might be 2-3 weeks before I receive these harnesses. They should plug right into the H4 connectors and then the relays will run the lights straight off of the battery.

Let the group buy begin!!

snowblindburd

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for snowblindburdSend a Private Message to snowblindburdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I had a Fiero, I'd be all over these. I just wanted to say that I think you did a great job on them. They look amazing!

------------------

1990 Pontiac Sunbird /// 1995 Beretta Base /// betty progress

troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2012 06:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great job! I must say that before your project and development thread i was not a fan of non OEM head lights due to fear of product quality. Consider me a fan
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2012 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys, it means a lot!

Just a friendly bump for everyone in the thread who was interested and still is
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2012 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There has been a lot of interest in my group buy thread and I've received lots of pm's!

Thank you again everyone, and another friendly bump. Hope nobody minds!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2012 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got room for a few more! Get over to the mall and check out the group buy!
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2012 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really want to do these but then I saw the cost for the extra parts that you need, whats the cheapest option?

------------------
1985 Fiero GT 4speed 1986 Fiero GT
1997 BMW 328 1984 Porsche 944

FieroNews~Boots~Bag's~Walle ts~Headliner~Spare Cover~
Visors~Sunshads and T-Top Sunshades~Download the Fieronews Catalog HERE~

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2012 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Thomas:

I really want to do these but then I saw the cost for the extra parts that you need, whats the cheapest option?

Sending you a pm, there are lots of options
PFF
System Bot
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2012 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

Thank You

------------------
1985 Fiero GT 4speed 1986 Fiero GT
1997 BMW 328 1984 Porsche 944

FieroNews~Boots~Bag's~Walle ts~Headliner~Spare Cover~
Visors~Sunshads and T-Top Sunshades~Download the Fieronews Catalog HERE~

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2012 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a weekend bump, last day of the group buy is tomorrow!

Some night pictures:

Just to reiterate, this is with only a single pair of projectors on, 35W bulbs, and 8000K temp bulbs (6000K are the brightest). These were all shot with low beam only!

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 06-17-2012).]

nightonfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2012 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
can you explain: "single pair of projectors on, 35W bulbs, and 8000K temp bulbs (6000K are the brightest)"

I would think that 8000k sould be brighter than 6000k ?

These look great, what a difference for flush mounts !!!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by nightonfire (edited 06-22-2012).]

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2012 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nightonfire:

can you explain: "single pair of projectors on, 35W bulbs, and 8000K temp bulbs (6000K are the brightest)"

I would think that 8000k sould be brighter than 6000k ?

These look great, what a difference for flush mounts !!!!!!!!!!

Thank you

What I mean by a single pair of projectors is that I'm only using one light in each housing right now. The kit comes with 2 projector units in each housing. So technically those pictures are with half of the possible light output.

Also, the HID kit I was using there are 35W ballasts/bulbs. 55W kits are available and are supposed to be even brighter.

Lastly, 8000K is the "temperature" of the bulb which determines the colour of light output. 8000K is more of an ice blue colour where as 6000K more closely simulates regular daylight. As you move away from the regular day light bulb temperature, the light isn't quite as bright or ideal for your vision. You can get HID kits in colours like purple/green etc. Their temperatures are upwards of 14000K. While they look cool, they don't do much for seeing at night and are likely to get you a ticket because of their colour.

Thanks for the question!
Swampthing

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2012 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SwampthingSend a Private Message to SwampthingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I would like to hear the other options as well, also is this gonna be the only group buy? I'm still broke from buying my fiero...
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2012 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Swampthing:

I would like to hear the other options as well, also is this gonna be the only group buy? I'm still broke from buying my fiero...

pm sent

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2012 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

doublec4

8289 posts
Member since Jun 2003
I also forgot to mention that I'm working on a jig right now so I can have all of the lenses laser cut as well. Better quality cuts and great precision.

The first group buy guys will have their sets laser cut as well. Left/Right jigs will be done this afternoon
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2012 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lots of lenses are getting done! More buckets on the way + projectors should be here soon!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2012 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got my harnesses in from ebay. Hooked them up and its really easy to get all 4 headlights on at the same time:

Its hard to see the separate lights in the pictures, but in person you can easily identify that 4 lights are on. You can also see that the cut off is sharp against the wall.

Tonight I'll see if I can snap more pictures while driving. I can't wait to see how 4 lights function! Should be super bright!

I don't think they'll ever be a need for high beams with this set up, but the lights do have the high beam function for those who want to go from BRIGHT to the power of a thousand suns, lol...
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2012 07:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would like to see someone attempt to refrain from painting the lens cover and make from soft zinc then painted or vinyl wrapped a cover for between the lamps and lens cover.
PFF
System Bot
turboguy327

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2012 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turboguy327Send a Private Message to turboguy327Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Stevenr:

Any idea of the price of a decent HID kit and bulbs would cost on top of the 400?

No better place for top of the line kits but here

www.theretrofitsource.com
FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2012 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great work!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2012 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Australian, I'm not sure I'm correctly picturing what you're saying... Do you have any examples of someone doing something similar on other cars?

Originally posted by FierociousGT:

Great work!

Thank you!

I'll post some pictures tonight of the laser cut sample lenses I had done. Turned out great and everyone's lights will be done this way
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2012 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First group buy is done complete and I'm in the process of shipping them out! Thank you to all who ordered, the second group buy will be starting in a week.

I will be contacting everyone in the first group buy with shipping quotes
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2012 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

doublec4

8289 posts
Member since Jun 2003
By the way,

the laser cutting is great:

Precision fitment + a nice edge. Just excuse the dust and the rough shape of the hood cut out I use.
repnblvd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2012 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for repnblvdSend a Private Message to repnblvdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Someone PLEASE post pics of your installs!!! Maybe a play-by-play?

------------------
-Repnblvd

'86 Fiero GT "Kona Car"
'86 Fiero GT "Old Yeller"
'85 GT "DOA"

'02 Aztek

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2012 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by repnblvd:

Someone PLEASE post pics of your installs!!! Maybe a play-by-play?

The first sets were sent out this weekend so hopefully we'll see some installs soon. I'm very excited to see what they look like on other cars and what people do to customize them.

I'm finishing up the install instructions as we speak.

Oh and the second group buy is open in the mall. Check it out

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 07-16-2012).]

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2012 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Australian, I'm not sure I'm correctly picturing what you're saying... Do you have any examples of someone doing something similar on other cars?

If I'm thinking along the same lines as Australian - then this is maybe what he (we? :-)) have in mind:

Notice the "vented cover" between the light fixture and outer lens?
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2012 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT:

If I'm thinking along the same lines as Australian - then this is maybe what he (we? :-)) have in mind:

Notice the "vented cover" between the light fixture and outer lens?

Ah I've very familiar with those lights. Quite honestly, a cover underneath like that would have to be made from fiberglass (which I sadly have very little experience with). Vacuum forming the vents with tight curves / detail etc would be really tough to get right. If I knew I was going to sell a thousand of these, I would invest in injection molds but it just doesn't make sense financially.

I would still suggest painting the lenses above anything else. Many of the Corvette guys I know with those exact lights end up painting the inside of the lenses so you can't see that plastic stuff. They feel that the stuff on the inside makes the lights look cheap / ricey.
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2012 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ah I've very familiar with those lights. Quite honestly, a cover underneath like that would have to be made from fiberglass (which I sadly have very little experience with). Vacuum forming the vents with tight curves / detail etc would be really tough to get right. If I knew I was going to sell a thousand of these, I would invest in injection molds but it just doesn't make sense financially.

I would still suggest painting the lenses above anything else. Many of the Corvette guys I know with those exact lights end up painting the inside of the lenses so you can't see that plastic stuff. They feel that the stuff on the inside makes the lights look cheap / ricey.

I thought you might recognize those (I first saw them in one of your links earlier in this thread).

I would agree that the chrome would probably appear a bit tacky (depending on the style of the rest of the car). I was pondering creating a "simpler" cover shape doesn't necessarily wrap forward... rather just covers the hardware from above) and possibly painting it body color or black to blend in a bit more!
PFF
System Bot
nightonfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2012 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Everyone

I have a few pics that were posted by another member, click on the thread link, and towards the bottom you will see a list of phot files. click on the files and you will be able to them installed. I will also try to get my photos uploades as soon as possible, but for now,

link: //www.fiero.nl/forum/F...1/HTML/081183-7.html

enjoy!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2012 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for posting those pictures! Hope to see a few more if possible

They look fantastic on your car as I thought they would. Do you have any pictures with the lights on? Awesome job! I'm very, very excited to see them on another Fiero and I can't thank you enough for the interest in these lights.

------------------

Check out my build and my website!
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000100.html
Embrace Racing

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 07-22-2012).]

ICCAMDFIERO

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2012 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ICCAMDFIEROSend a Private Message to ICCAMDFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If only I didnt just buy rims and pay insurance on my car and bike.... guess ill have to wait for group buy #3 or #4 if people keep wanting them so soon! Looks great and really looks like it improves night visibility. But for now lets see some more install pics people... possibly a black car
Vendetta

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2012 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VendettaSend a Private Message to VendettaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man those look slick. I really like what you've done Double.

Austin
Fiero2m8

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2012 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
C4, This might help you sell some more kits

------------------

Indy Northstar-Stretch

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2012 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero2m8:

C4, This might help you sell some more kits

Looks great! Thanks!

Any more pictures, higher res as well?

Sending you a pm!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2012 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a few more install pictures:

Thanks!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2012 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another example of a great install

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2012 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a little bump to keep things fresh

... and there's a third group buy open in the mall

------------------

Check out my build and my website!
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000100.html
Embrace Racing

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 12 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to: