Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  NEW Headlight Option In The Works! Gauging Interest... (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 12 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
NEW Headlight Option In The Works! Gauging Interest... by doublec4
Started on: 11-08-2011 10:16 PM
Replies: 476 (31768 views)
Last post by: Will on 03-01-2018 07:52 PM
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2011 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
GROUP BUY CAN BE FOUND HERE:

//www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/062198.html#p0

I've been contemplating making a new Fiero headlight option available for some time now. I've just been busy in the past with finishing school, etc. Lately I've had some time to make some progress with things and have a preliminary design in place. It will still be a while before my first prototype is made, but I'd like to gauge some interest to see if others might be willing to purchase my headlight mod down the road.

The basic design is very similar to that of the Corvette C5R:

They would replace your stock headlights, eliminate the pop up action (no longer have to rely on those motors), and not require any cutting of your hood/frame/etc. Basically a bolt on.

They would also come with your choice of 4 bi-xenon projectors, or 2 bixenon projectors and some sort of turn signal/fog light pair. (Projector shrouds included)

It would also include the lenses, the bucket and brackets. At this point, I think I would leave the wiring/bulbs up to you, or if someone else wants to jump in and make harnesses I don't mind.

This is just a quick photoshop of how it might look on a fiero:

Theres my sales pitch for now! Comments/critiques welcome

------------------

Check out my build!
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000100.html

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 06-10-2012).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2011 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Munson's units were the best flush mounts available to us but unfortunately he is no longer with us .i have Norm's but the brightness is not high enough without fog lamps .the C5 idea is a good one and i almost tried to adapt a set .i like the idea of a headlamp set that bulges up just enough to give a better beam but does not require hood and bumper surgery .i would really like a set of these .
donnie072003

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2011 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donnie072003Click Here to visit donnie072003's HomePageSend a Private Message to donnie072003Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think your concept looks great. I'd love to have something different.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2011 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys.

That is what kept me from buying Kris Munson's... you were restricted to using the thin rectangular camaro lights which were set way back. This would cause a large shadow in front of your car. Not really ideal, but slick looking none the less.

These would "bulge" as you mentioned and allow you to run projectors that could be mounted further forward and higher up.
JumpStart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2011 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JumpStartSend a Private Message to JumpStartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe it was FierociousGT on here that was trying something like this but ran into a problem. Maybe you could PM him and get an idea on what to expect.
Personally, I like the idea and think it would look great.

Steve

[This message has been edited by JumpStart (edited 11-08-2011).]

Niterrorz

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2011 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i likem but can you do a molded plastic flushmount? ay know with the corners and everything maybe thermo formed plexiglass? i do like your idea tho its unique and depending on the price id be interested in getting some
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2011 05:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JumpStart:

I believe it was FierociousGT on here that was trying something like this but ran into a problem. Maybe you could PM him and get an idea on what to expect.
Personally, I like the idea and think it would look great.

Steve

I think he was trying to adapt the actual C5 aftermarket headlights. I will be making my own from the ground up so they will fit. Not using something that already exists.

Originally posted by Niterrorz:

i likem but can you do a molded plastic flushmount? ay know with the corners and everything maybe thermo formed plexiglass? i do like your idea tho its unique and depending on the price id be interested in getting some

Not sure what you really mean by the first part... but yes they will be formed lenses, everything should fit nicely. I will be keeping the price as low as possible!

------------------

Check out my build!
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000100.html

85pontiac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2011 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85pontiacSend a Private Message to 85pontiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those look great! I would definately be interested.

------------------
Adam
1984 Sport Coupe Auto., 130,~~~ miles, bad duke
1985 Sport Coupe 5 Speed, 55,000 original miles
1987 GT Auto., 155,~~~ miles, partial daily driver
2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 5" lift, 33" tires, partial daily driver
1989 Yamaha V Max (oh yeah, it's fun!)
1975 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 25,000 original miles
1936 Dodge Two-door Touring Sedan

Syn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2011 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynSend a Private Message to SynEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really like that idea and although it looks a little buggy on the fiero I think that with paint to match car color it would look great! the only thing I would be concerned with would be the amount of light that they produce but other than that I like them.
CarverToo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2011 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarverTooSend a Private Message to CarverTooEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice idea and modern look!
Oslo

Feedback score:    (53)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2011 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That would be very cool

------------------
Top Line Group Automotive
-Aftermarket accessories for the Fiero
www.TLG-Store.com
Find TLG on Facebook!

PFF
System Bot
Niterrorz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2011 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i was talking about having the look of the stock healight doors but using plexiglass. the flush mounts ive seen dont look great they are just a piece of plastic layed out over the headlight hole. i was hoping for more of a drop in unit in place of the actuall door.
TheRealShadowX

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2011 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheRealShadowXSend a Private Message to TheRealShadowXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

i was talking about having the look of the stock healight doors but using plexiglass. the flush mounts ive seen dont look great they are just a piece of plastic layed out over the headlight hole. i was hoping for more of a drop in unit in place of the actuall door.

I'm pretty sure that's what he's designing.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2011 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It would be a replacement for the door. They would be formed lenses instead of headlight doors.
Niterrorz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2011 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ya but flush not with that big bump in the middle altho that one looks good to
Vintovkamosin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2011 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VintovkamosinSend a Private Message to VintovkamosinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like it. Once I get my fiero I will consider a set if you ever get these made. How much would you charge?
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2011 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ya but flush not with that big bump in the middle altho that one looks good to

Without the bump you can't put big enough round projectors in there... even if you did and sunk them down / way back, you would get really poor lighting out of a set up like that. I know the flush/non-bump looks good too, but in terms of function its not ideal.

Originally posted by Vintovkamosin:

I like it. Once I get my fiero I will consider a set if you ever get these made. How much would you charge?

Not sure yet, I have to source out some more parts...
Niterrorz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2011 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well how do the 3rd gen camero headlights do when theyare run flushmount? same thing just with a lens covering it up
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2011 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The camaro lights in the Fiero and in the Camaro are still different applications. I believe there is less obstruction directly in front/under the Camaro application than there is on the Fiero.

If you ask around to some of the guys with the Camaro lights flushmount on this forum, I would say that most would report a shadow being cast in front of the car. I'm just speaking from what I've heard in terms of reviews so thats the best I can do.

This is not to say that my set up will be the greatest thing ever. I'm hoping to improve the flushmount design and offer newer technology in terms of headlight options. Only time will tell how much (if) there is an improvement. The look may not float everyone's boat but I hope it gets some people interested!

I appreciate the discussion being generated!
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2011 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
<== This guys is interested.

DISCLAIMER: If prices requires a testicle or other body part to be sold to afford mod, then Hulki's interest in the project could possibly be terminated. Seller's version of affordable may not directly match Hulki's version of affordable, and may therefore terminate Hulki's interest. Economy and Uncle Sam could terminate Hulki's interest to buy at any time. Not valid in the state of California.

[This message has been edited by Hulki U. My-BFF (edited 11-09-2011).]

Jim_Martin29

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2011 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim_Martin29Send a Private Message to Jim_Martin29Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Once installed, can they be removed and go back to stock?

I am interest.

------------------
Jim Martin
White '86 GT
Monterey, California

PFF
System Bot
CarverToo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2011 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarverTooSend a Private Message to CarverTooEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lots of new cars feature the "Bulge" in the headlamps. Some look good and some no so. My hope is that these would not end up looking like frog eyes!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2011 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hulki U. My-BFF:

DISCLAIMER: If prices requires a testicle or other body part to be sold to afford mod, then Hulki's interest in the project could possibly be terminated. Seller's version of affordable may not directly match Hulki's version of affordable, and may therefore terminate Hulki's interest. Economy and Uncle Sam could terminate Hulki's interest to buy at any time. Not valid in the state of California.

lol... I promise no testicles or body parts required. You can keep those. I'm not looking to get rich off of something like this. Just thought it would be cool to design something that other people would consider putting on their cars.

Originally posted by Jim_Martin29:

Once installed, can they be removed and go back to stock?

I am interest.

Yes. There will be no cutting or anything that would prevent you from going back to stock. The goal is a complete bolt on.

I hope they don't look like frog eyes either

There will be some level of assembly/ "do it yourself" involved such as painting the lenses and wiring. So really, you could do whatever else you like to them to make them your own or more subtle. I think its nicer that way.
OneSlowFiero

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2011 06:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OneSlowFieroSend a Private Message to OneSlowFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am most certainly interested. My pop up lights have never worked and I'm not sure if I really want to fix them anyway
These are the first non pop up lights that have really caught my interest. I like the idea of relocating the turn signals in the headlight fixture. It frees up the stock blinker location for some factory looking fog lamps. I will definitely keep my eye out for these.

-Josh
Tinkrr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2011 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TinkrrSend a Private Message to TinkrrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the look better than flush mounts. Can't wait to see how effective the light spread is.
stickboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2011 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stickboySend a Private Message to stickboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm interest in seeing how these turn out. I'd love to get rid of the popups, but the replacement would have to look good.
Macs86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2011 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interested, i like the look with the bump up like the vette has, and hopefully it doesn't look froggy. I never was a fan of the flush mount just looked to much like an afterthought.
madfrog67

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2011 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madfrog67Send a Private Message to madfrog67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Should you achieve the C5 look, and the photoshop image look, I am in for a set just as long as they are priced within reason...
thx for your effort on this
skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2011 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Same concept as FieroX, huh?

Click to show
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2011 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skuzzbomer:

Click to show

Along the same lines but not really. Those are exposed, mine will have lenses/covers and be fully enclosed. They won't end up looking the same at all.

Thanks to everyone for the comments, I'll make some more progress on these this weekend.

cire36

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2011 06:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cire36Send a Private Message to cire36Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would be very interested in a set.
PFF
System Bot
CarverToo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2011 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarverTooSend a Private Message to CarverTooEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ribbit

Originally posted by skuzzbomer:

Click to show

BOBBY D

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2011 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BOBBY DSend a Private Message to BOBBY DEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hulki U. My-BFF:

x2
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2011 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys, I'll be doing my best to keep the price down.
OneSlowFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2011 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OneSlowFieroSend a Private Message to OneSlowFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

Thanks guys, I'll be doing my best to keep the price down.

So does that mean that is a definite yes that they'll be made?
canfirst

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2011 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for canfirstSend a Private Message to canfirstEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome looking and practical idea, I like!

------------------
New owner of 88 Fiero GT and second time owner of 1985 Fiero GT. Bought my first fully loaded Fiero GT new in 1985. Fiero's are Fabulous, Fix'em and have Fun! Note Avatar picture is Mr. Bean (not me).

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2011 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by OneSlowFiero:

So does that mean that is a definite yes that they'll be made?

I will follow through with making these. I just hope my prototype turns out well. I will be making these myself because contracting a business to do them in such low quantities isn't feasible.

Question for everyone. How many would prefer that the headlights lift up with the hood, or how many would rather have them stay with the rest of the car independent of the hood. Just looking into my mounting options and I could do it either way. I think I would prefer having them not attached to the hood in any way, but thats just me.

mrfred8

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2011 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Question for everyone. How many would prefer that the headlights lift up with the hood, or how many would rather have them stay with the rest of the car independent of the hood. Just looking into my mounting options and I could do it either way. I think I would prefer having them not attached to the hood in any way, but thats just me.

The headlights look great. I think not attached to the hood would make more sense.

------------------
88 Yellow GT

Jim_Martin29

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2011 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim_Martin29Send a Private Message to Jim_Martin29Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[B]Originally posted by doublec4:

I think I would prefer having them not attached to the hood in any way, but thats just me.

I agree, not attached to hood.
FieroAK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2011 02:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroAKSend a Private Message to FieroAKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I also agree, NOT attached to the hood would be the best option, then when opening the hood we won't be dragging wiring with it, cuts down on the wiring needed.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 12 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock