Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  NEW Headlight Option In The Works! Gauging Interest... (Page 8)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 12 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
NEW Headlight Option In The Works! Gauging Interest... by doublec4
Started on: 11-08-2011 10:16 PM
Replies: 476 (31776 views)
Last post by: Will on 03-01-2018 07:52 PM
wee twisted

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2012 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wee twistedSend a Private Message to wee twistedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
im cheeeesing
IP: Logged
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2012 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks again guys.

New vs. Old:

A few more quick shots of the lenses sitting a little more flush:

Also, the profile of the lights isn't all that high. They really don't bubble up like frog eyes. Hopefully people who thought they were going to have the frog eye look change their minds

Lastly, the cut off is sharp. The lens doesn't distort it as much as it did when I was testing it in my kitchen.

This is just a single light on and it was still pretty bright outside. I didn't install the other side yet. Enjoy!

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 05-12-2012).]

Alibi

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2012 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AlibiSend a Private Message to AlibiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been watching this thread and I must applaud your efforts! It really looks nice! If I didn't already have a set of F1F buckets I'd certainly pick up a set. I might know someone else though...

How much does this setup weight versus the original flip-up assembly? I'm sure the weight of wiring and HID/Ballasts would have to be factored in as well but just a rough idea would do.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2012 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alibi:

I've been watching this thread and I must applaud your efforts! It really looks nice! If I didn't already have a set of F1F buckets I'd certainly pick up a set. I might know someone else though...

How much does this setup weight versus the original flip-up assembly? I'm sure the weight of wiring and HID/Ballasts would have to be factored in as well but just a rough idea would do.

Thank you,

I was going to weigh them today but decided against it for now. Since I don't have the actual brackets + ballasts etc, it wouldn't be accurate.

I can say for sure that they will weigh less overall than the stock units.

Alibi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2012 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AlibiSend a Private Message to AlibiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Less overall" was the magic phrase I was looking for. I may know someone looking to build a light-as-possible car that these would look really nice on. I'm not sure I like them enough myself to sell my F1F buckets and get these but it *is* tempting. I'll just have to wait till I see the final product installed.

Are you going to get the metal buckets powdercoated black or are you leaving the finish up to the end user? They'll certainly stick out like a sore thumb if left "in the white."
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2012 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The finish of the buckets and the painting of the lenses is up to the buyer. It keeps costs down and let's you add your own touch to the lights. Some may choose to paint everything body color or others will simply go with black.

There are some nice examples of painted lenses on corvettes. I'll eventually post some pictures of what those guys do for us to get ideas.
Alibi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2012 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AlibiSend a Private Message to AlibiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didn't think of body color... that could be an interesting look.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2012 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
pegasus1848

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2012 03:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pegasus1848Send a Private Message to pegasus1848Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I want a set when ever you are ready. I will just have to show off your work at 2013 Dell's and the 30th.
Make sure that there is a spot on the back of the bucket (outside) for your name so when the hood is open at a show
everyone will know who's handiwork it is.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2012 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pegasus1848:

I want a set when ever you are ready. I will just have to show off your work at 2013 Dell's and the 30th.
Make sure that there is a spot on the back of the bucket (outside) for your name so when the hood is open at a show
everyone will know who's handiwork it is.

Thanks, maybe I'll have some decals made up that you can put on the back/underside of the bucket. Only visible when the hood is up.
degs

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2012 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for degsSend a Private Message to degsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking amazing!

I still have a set of F1F new in box I may have to sell and grab these instead

PFF
System Bot
pegasus1848

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2012 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pegasus1848Send a Private Message to pegasus1848Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That will work, I can put it on after painting.
Just send me a pm when you want money.
And thanks again for all your hard work.
thedrue

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2012 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work man, I have been watching this with great interest. I actually really like the popups and will be keeping them, although the stock Fiero sealed beams are not going to stay long... But this has turned out very nice and appears very professional. Very impressive work indeed.

This is what makes the forum so great and although I will not be buying a set for myself I will definitely recommend these to anyone who wants to replace the popups. These are orders of magnitude nicer than the flat ones IMHO.

Keep up the good work!
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2012 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can print decals for you. I need to get my machine up and producing again.

------------------
1985 Fiero GT 4speed 1986 Fiero GT
1997 BMW 328 1984 Porsche 944

FieroNews~Boots~Bag's~Walle ts~Headliner~Spare Cover~
Visors~Sunshads and T-Top Sunshades~Download the Fieronews Catalog HERE~

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2012 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks again guys, the encouragement is great. Keeps me plugging away at them.

Fiero Thomas, I'll let you know about the decals when the time comes. I might have them made up with my website name in my signature. I've been very slowly launching a website.

Thats it until the next update!

Shill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2012 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ShillSend a Private Message to ShillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I currently have both a burnt out light and a broken motor, Not too concerned at the moment as I don't drive at night anymore. Will be saving for this rather than buy a motor and bulb just to replace them when you get this finished. Let me know where the pre-order sign-up is at.
OneSlowFiero

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2012 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OneSlowFieroSend a Private Message to OneSlowFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very excited with your progress!
I also have two shot motors and a low beam out. Currently I just use my high beams and have them aimed at the ground haha. I guess I'm cheap like that

Has anyone come forward about making harnesses for this kit? I wonder if hairballrm's 'Full Time Low' harness could be modified for this application.

-Josh
troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2012 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They look fantastic!!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2012 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you again and again guys.

For those of you with broken headlights, I'm working hard to get these done asap for you!

And Troy, thank you, they kind of remind me of NSX headlights in some ways
nightonfire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2012 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just amazing!!!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2012 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good news. The bracket and bucket designs are "done" (quotations because I've measured a million times, but you never know)

I'm having 5 sets of headlights worth of them cut tomorrow. This weekend I'm going to try and have 5 sets of headlights ready. I obviously still have to order the projector lights for all of these, but I will accept deposits for that next week.
------------------

Check out my build and my website!
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000100.html
Embrace Racing

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 05-16-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2012 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Almost there

The cutoff doesn't get too distorted with the lens on it. Turned out better than expected actually.

Bending up some brackets in bulk now!

So far so good!

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 05-17-2012).]

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2012 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lookin' good so far!
Shill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2012 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ShillSend a Private Message to ShillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Please send me a PM when these are ready. I am pretty busy with life and would like to purchase as soon as they are ready, but can't check the forum all the time.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2012 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
These look awesome!
OneSlowFiero

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2012 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OneSlowFieroSend a Private Message to OneSlowFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm very ready to put down a deposit
hairballrm

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2012 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hairballrmClick Here to visit hairballrm's HomePageSend a Private Message to hairballrmEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by OneSlowFiero:

Has anyone come forward about making harnesses for this kit? I wonder if hairballrm's 'Full Time Low' harness could be modified for this application.

-Josh

Of course it can.
I have been busy and have not chimed in here.

From the bucket photos I just noticed a huge advantage to this design.
You can offer a better selection of fixtures than I ever could.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2012 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys. I'll be sure to send out PM's when they're ready for purchase / deposit !!

Originally posted by hairballrm:

From the bucket photos I just noticed a huge advantage to this design.
You can offer a better selection of fixtures than I ever could.

The bucket design allows multiple fixture options. However, I'm still constrained by size to a certain degree. The top of the lens acts a ceiling. If I go with too large of a projector, the majority of it will have to be placed too low to be effective. I'd have to make the lenses bubbled more.

Regardless, these little projectors are much better than stock, and if you choose to run all 4 at once, you've got a pretty powerful compact set up. I'm itching to get them on the car and test them out!
wee twisted

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2012 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wee twistedSend a Private Message to wee twistedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
this money is burning a whole in my pocket////////lol my friend
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2012 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wee twisted:

this money is burning a whole in my pocket////////lol my friend

Hopefully you can handle the burn for just a little while longer!

I was testing some things out yesterday, and I would like to point out a great advantage to using this PETG plastic for the lenses. If they ever become cloudy, or lightly scratched, you can restore their clarity with a blow torch. With a few quick passes it seems to "melt" the surface layer and flows the material back onto itself evenly. Works great!
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2012 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi:

Bump
PFF
System Bot
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2012 05:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sourmug:

Hi:

Bump

Doing a final install on my car this weekend. Going to make sure everything works as planned!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2012 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got a whole bunch done today, but still a few adjustments to make + proper aiming and painting the lenses.

Also have to wire in a relay to run all of the lights at once.

Ignore the masking tape

I also need a better camera to capture the light without making it look like one big blob. Those are 8000K and 3000K bulbs.
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2012 07:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 01-05-2016).]

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2012 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for the kind words!

I finished up the install on my car today. Can't wait to test them out at night.

Painted up the lenses:

Installed the other side:

Tested out the lights and aimed them:

I still have to wire them so I can run 4 at a time. Right now I'm limited to 2 lights.

Enjoy!
donnie072003

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2012 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donnie072003Click Here to visit donnie072003's HomePageSend a Private Message to donnie072003Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
doublec those look amazing. By far the best headlight option I have seen since joining the forum. I hope to be able to buy a set in the near future. Now that I am back to work hopefully it won't be long!

Edit: PM sent

[This message has been edited by donnie072003 (edited 05-27-2012).]

Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2012 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey doublec4.... I will add to the others comments that these are really taking shape here. They look most impressive and I honestly did not think they would at the onset of this project. The painted housings and the low profile look really do a lot for the car. My only concern is that I wonder how they look at night and if the light is focused properly both forward and to the side and that they can illuminate the road as good or better than the factory lights. What do you think a complete plug and play setup will cost for these? I can see them painted to match the car and those lights popping out in front looking very sharp. I was planning to rebuild my motors for the headlights as I really prefer the pop ups to about anything else but this is really looking better and better. The only other comment I have is that they seem to not sit exactly flush all around the edge with the hood in your pictures. Is this that they are just not finished yet and require some fine tuning or will they sit a touch lower in the final product. I salute you for taking on this project as I know how complex and difficult it can be to tool up and purchase the machinery necessary to make cool things. Anyways, I am not saying I will buy some just yet but they sure look nice so far and I am THINKING about it. Peace

Pete
JSzpotek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2012 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JSzpotekSend a Private Message to JSzpotekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

These look too wicked. So psyched to get a pair of these.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2012 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the compliments again everyone.

I will be testing them out at night soon and dialing in the aiming a bit better. I noticed in my parking garage that they were a bit off.

As for the concern about them sitting flush with the hood, you can further adjust them. I just put them in quickly today. The mounting holes are slotted.

I'm also happy to announce that the lenses don't fly off at highway speeds.. or faster. I can say that they are at least good until 100mph... experimental testing has not ventured higher than that yet.

One more picture tonight for good measure.

They look even better in person. I'm pretty stoked.
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2012 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice, congratulations on reaching your goal!

Nolan
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 12 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock