Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  NEW Headlight Option In The Works! Gauging Interest... (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 12 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
NEW Headlight Option In The Works! Gauging Interest... by doublec4
Started on: 11-08-2011 10:16 PM
Replies: 476 (31777 views)
Last post by: Will on 03-01-2018 07:52 PM
85SEnochie

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2012 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looken good! I too have considered the idea. Have you looked at Miata's flush mounted head lights I think the size is the same if not dang close I'm sure?

Terry

------------------

Love The Excitement! https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/068738.html

IP: Logged
Macs86GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2012 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
looks good, I really hope this gets completed.
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2012 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wee twisted:

great progress...but i have to have that machine

I wish it was my machine too!

Thanks for the overall positive responses. I have looked at the miata lights and several others, but even as close as some of them might be, they are not the same shape as the fiero headlight openings. If they were used, you'd have to hack them up, or hack up your hood. Overall goal here is bolt on. The driver side mould should be done by the end of the week I was told.

I'll post more updates as I go along.
nightonfire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2012 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As long as this gets the needed light I AM IN
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2012 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The otherside has now been complete and the both moulds are ready for pick up. I'll have them by the end of next week. They're going to need some further work (some kind of epoxy coating or something) and then I will need to build a vacuum forming machine. Should be a fun experience!
Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2012 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2012 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Curlrup:

http://www.phlatboyz.com/Phlatformer-Kit_p_10.html

Thanks for the link! I saw that in another thread on here.. unfortunately its too small. I will be making my own and hopefully it doesn't amount to that much anyways. We'll see how it goes!

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 01-07-2012).]

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2012 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

They're done! Picking them up tomorrow
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2012 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hopefully everyone isn't tired of seeing updates on the moulds, but I'm excited to have them in my possession now. They look great and will only require minimal work to have them ready for vacuum forming. I will need to coat them in some kind of epoxy wood hardener and do some light sanding. I have a test piece that I'm going to use.

It was kind of funny when I got the box that he put them in. The box was just some random thing he had in his garage that originally held a home light fixture. The product was called "Flush Mount Fixture" .... strange coincidence!

Off to home depot now..

------------------

Check out my build!
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000100.html

Macs86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2012 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was thinking about how everyone said don't mount it to the hood. Not all hoods are aligned the same and don't always line up when re installed to the same car. This would cause many problems if it was mounted to the frame or body of the car and if you hood slips out of alignment you run the risk of breaking the formed cover.
el_roy1985

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2012 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for el_roy1985Send a Private Message to el_roy1985Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Macs86GT:

I was thinking about how everyone said don't mount it to the hood. Not all hoods are aligned the same and don't always line up when re installed to the same car. This would cause many problems if it was mounted to the frame or body of the car and if you hood slips out of alignment you run the risk of breaking the formed cover.

Just found this thread, and this is the first thing I thought when mounting it as such, was mentioned. Someone did mention alignment issues, but didn't explain any further. Would be cool to be able to do it that way, but doesn't seem feasible. I'm sure there are some good ways to hide the wires or just make them look nice.

Great work so far. Thanks for showing the details of the process, very interesting. Should make for the best Fiero specific headlight manufactured to date. In terms of looks, performance, quality fit AND finish. Never really cared for any other flush mount methods (or the gator things...) because they all seemed to lack a true "modern" or updated look. I guess the best way to explain it, is that they all definitely look added on to the car. So far it looks like these are going to fit very nicely and be very well done, so should look so "tacked on" I guess you could call it. Then with the correct complimenting body mods, these things would look like they belonged.
PFF
System Bot
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2012 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its a valid concern that all of the hoods fit/align different. However, I will design the buckets with slotted holes I suppose. Some level of adjustibility will be incorporated, not to worry!
Kemp3

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2012 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kemp3Send a Private Message to Kemp3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Everything looks great so far , keep up the good work .
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2012 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Out of curiosity...

Right now the plan is to have two bi-xenon projectors side by side in each headlight module.

The other option I can make available is to use a projector fog light beside the single bi-xenon. This would lower the cost, and you could potentially wire up the bulb to work as a turn signal as well as being a fog light. Before I go and buy these fog lights, would any body want that option? Or does everyone pretty much want dual bi-xenons?
Macs86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2012 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would prefer dual bi xenon's, the f1f buckets with power run to the low and hi beams is comparable to aircraft landing lights. A pair of bi-xenon would be equal or better.

[This message has been edited by Macs86GT (edited 01-15-2012).]

nightonfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2012 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dual Bi-xenon
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2012 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone else want to chime in? I'm currently finding a supplier for the lights in bulk.

I'm also trying to find someone who can form polycarbonate or an alternative that I can form myself... I know polycarbonate is ideal, but its not the easiest stuff to form. It would need several hours of drying time in an oven prior to forming in order to eliminate the moisture.
nightonfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2012 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
can you put the molds in the hood and take a few pics at different angles, for a visual
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2012 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
two projecters would be my choice
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2012 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nightonfire:

can you put the molds in the hood and take a few pics at different angles, for a visual

Right now the moulds would need some trimming before I could fit them in the hood (because of the extra flashing you see in the pictures). Plus my car is in another city, stacked under another car (lift) and you wouldn't really be able to take a picture. This is one of the obstacles I'm trying to overcome while I develop these headlights during the winter months. I really wish I could though, I'm dying to see them on the car.

I'm in the process of trying to get a prototype lens done soon. Also, I hate to say it, but I think it will actually be more viable to mount the units to the hood. It will save money (which gets passed onto whoever buys them), will be much easier to mount/install, you will be able to revert back to stock if you wanted, and lastly it will eliminate the problem of people's hoods being aligned differently. The big thing that I overlooked is that the hood has a little "ledge" at the front for the stock headlight doors to rest on while they are closed. It keeps them sitting flush with the hood while the door springs pull down on them. If you have a headlight bucket that isn't attached to the hood, this ledge will strike the cover when the hood is closed. It's basically in the way. And as far as I know/remember, this ledge is not removable unless you cut it off...which means you wouldn't be able to go back to stock. That is something I want to avoid: cutting. So, I will likely be designing the entire bucket to remain attached to the hood. I hope that isn't a deal breaker for some, but quite honestly, I see it as the better choice now.

Also, since nobody has mentioned they want the fog light option, I'll stick to dual bixenons in each bucket.

Lots more work to do!

nightonfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2012 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:
I'm in the process of trying to get a prototype lens done soon. Also, I hate to say it, but I think it will actually be more viable to mount the units to the hood. It will save money (which gets passed onto whoever buys them), will be much easier to mount/install, you will be able to revert back to stock if you wanted, and lastly it will eliminate the problem of people's hoods being aligned differently. The big thing that I overlooked is that the hood has a little "ledge" at the front for the stock headlight doors to rest on while they are closed. It keeps them sitting flush with the hood while the door springs pull down on them. If you have a headlight bucket that isn't attached to the hood, this ledge will strike the cover when the hood is closed. It's basically in the way. And as far as I know/remember, this ledge is not removable unless you cut it off...which means you wouldn't be able to go back to stock. That is something I want to avoid: cutting. So, I will likely be designing the entire bucket to remain attached to the hood. I hope that isn't a deal breaker for some, but quite honestly, I see it as the better choice now.

From a person who is not afraid to chop, cut, weld, or fabricate, I completely agree with your decision. If you can get a look at Kmunson's flushmount's and look at how he mounted designed them to mount it is very well done.
PFF
System Bot
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2012 06:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will have to take a look at how his are mounted. I can understand now why he chose to do it this way.
nightonfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2012 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

I will have to take a look at how his are mounted. I can understand now why he chose to do it this way.

if you need pics, PM me your cel # and I can send you some photos

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2012 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

if you need pics, PM me your cel # and I can send you some photos

Thanks for the offer! However, I don't have a cell phone. Any other way to get the pictures to me? Can you email from your cell?
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2012 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Working on sealing the moulds right now. Always hate this part of the project! The point of no return!

Trimmed my beautiful moulds from the excess flashing and now applying the sealant:

Lots and lots of sanding to do. I'm trying to arrange to have a prototype lens made in 2 weeks. We'll see!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2012 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sanding is done and they turned out nice and smooth! Also sourced out a supplier for lens material. I arranged to make an attempt at prototyping the lenses next friday. I'm excited! The lenses are the biggest hurdle and everything else has been on hold until I know I can make them successfully. Otherwise its not worth investing money into the other bits and pieces. I'm really keeping my fingers crossed. One week to find out if this thing is feasible!

------------------

Check out my build!
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000100.html

AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2012 03:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am following this thread very carefully.
I would love a set of these!
nightonfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2012 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Keep Up the good work, this is an amazing project even if you just do the lenses im in!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2012 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Keep Up the good work, this is an amazing project even if you just do the lenses im in!

Thanks, I'd love to see a set on your car. I saw some recent pictures in another thread and it looks great!
Infinity

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2012 05:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for InfinitySend a Private Message to InfinityEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nice progress i'd like to follow ;-)

i wanted to buy the F1F lights but seems not available anymore, im interested in a set of yours.
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2012 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Infinity:

i wanted to buy the F1F lights but seems not available anymore, im interested in a set of yours.

The buckets are still available last I saw... You just have to source the lamp housings and harness yourself.
PFF
System Bot
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2012 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Greetings Infinity...

The F1F Buckets are still available. In fact, I have a package of them that I need to get shipped out to Timo (Fiero1Fan) in Germany. I've been meaning to do it for the last couple of weeks now that I am settled into my new place, but have not made it to the Post Office yet.

We still have 30+ sets available.

As stated by skuzzbomer, the harnesses are unavailable now, due to my health issues with Carpal Tunnel. I am still attempting to source them and have them made for a reasonable price.

Since you are in the Netherlands, you would have to source the lights themselves from your area due to requiring E-Code lights.

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2012 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85SEnochie:

Looken good! I too have considered the idea. Have you looked at Miata's flush mounted head lights I think the size is the same if not dang close I'm sure?

Terry

I actually like the fact that the Miata flushmounts use Hella 90mm modules. That could be attractive for people that already converted to low-rise conversions in the past...

http://www.gomiata.com/mamiflmoheki.html

------------------

Currently being upgraded at Whodeanie Customs with many TLG Automotive parts

www.yellowfiero.com Pictures Modifications

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2012 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by yellowstone:

I actually like the fact that the Miata flushmounts use Hella 90mm modules. That could be attractive for people that already converted to low-rise conversions in the past...

http://www.gomiata.com/mamiflmoheki.html

I'm not sure if I'll have enough space to shove 90mm lights in there, but maybe after Im done developing the ones I'm doing now, then I can look into it. If I can fit them, I could offer brackets for those lights if people already have them. We'll see, its not a bad idea

fierro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2012 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierroSend a Private Message to fierroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great progress! I also am very interested hopefully you finish soon to see the end result.

------------------
Fiero SE 4 cyl 85' no cat w/magnaflow
Mercedes C230 v6 2.5L 07'
Jeep Cherokee inline 6, 4.0L
And yes my last name is Fierro.

Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2012 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
im intrested as well on this. keep up the good work.

------------------
1985 Fiero GT 4speed 1986 Fiero GT
1997 BMW 328 1984 Porsche 944

FieroNews~Boots~Bag's~Walle ts~Headliner~Spare Cover~
Visors~Sunshads and T-Top Sunshades~Download the Fieronews Catalog HERE~

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2012 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Still watching.........
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2012 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tomorrow I'm going to attempt to pull prototype lenses... expect an update tomorrow night whether or not it was a success or a learning experience!
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2012 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I gave this project some thought but I think that I'll stick with my Hella 90mm HID modules and F1F slim pop-ups until more LED headlights are available in the aftermarket in a few years. Then it should be much easier to produce non-popup headlight alternatives for the Fiero.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2012 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good news! I was able to successfully form some lenses today and I'll post some pictures later.

There was also a little set back that I will describe and post pictures of later. However, prototypes are good to at least use for fitment purposes.

I will be looking into building my own vacuum/thermo forming machine now. Pictures to come!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 12 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock