Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  NEW Headlight Option In The Works! Gauging Interest... (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 12 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
NEW Headlight Option In The Works! Gauging Interest... by doublec4
Started on: 11-08-2011 10:16 PM
Replies: 476 (31777 views)
Last post by: Will on 03-01-2018 07:52 PM
etofun

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2011 02:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for etofunSend a Private Message to etofunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i think that would look very good on a fiero, id buy a set if i get the money
IP: Logged
OneSlowFiero

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2011 06:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OneSlowFieroSend a Private Message to OneSlowFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with everyone else to keep them separate from the hood. That seems like it would be the most functional way to prevent wires from being dragged, etc. Also, perhaps add rubber seals around the fixtures to make the "door" area water tight when the hood is closed. It probably wouldn't be necessary but I figured I'd toss the idea out there haha.
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2011 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like general consensus says don't attach them to the hood. That was my feeling from the start. Not a problem. I'm waiting to hear back from my CNC guy right now on some things.

BOBBY D

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2011 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BOBBY DSend a Private Message to BOBBY DEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
think you are going to run into fitment issues if they are not attached to the hood.
yellowTee

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2011 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowTeeSend a Private Message to yellowTeeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am in for a set! My 2 cents, keep them separate from the hood.
SSG Larry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2011 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SSG LarrySend a Private Message to SSG LarryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would like a set. Try to keep them seperate.
zetabird

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2011 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zetabirdSend a Private Message to zetabirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bumping this to the top I'm really interested, any progress?
FieroAK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2011 02:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroAKSend a Private Message to FieroAKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, we need updates!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2011 05:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Having the moulds for the lenses CNC cut for me pretty soon. Theres been a delay because the guy's machine has been down for a bit. Hopefully I will have the moulds soon and I'll have more progress to show!

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 12-09-2011).]

Fierotregg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2011 06:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierotreggSend a Private Message to FierotreggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like a very refreshing option, my headlights work perfect, but this would give the frontend a whole new look, still have that sleek look. Great project!!
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2011 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Funny enough, these are the ONLY pics I could find, PISA's Gator lights. I actually have a set of the PISA lights in my shed.

PFF
System Bot
GT86FASTBACK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2011 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT86FASTBACKSend a Private Message to GT86FASTBACKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you build them, I will buy them. Would need two sets actually....
wee twisted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2011 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wee twistedSend a Private Message to wee twistedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i would b interested to see how this turns out...i really like the idea ,,,all turns out and affordable then count me in
lonewolf_305

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2011 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lonewolf_305Send a Private Message to lonewolf_305Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
if the price is right id be interested.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2011 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When everyone is saying "price is right,"

what price range are most of you referring to?

Thanks!
wee twisted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2011 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wee twistedSend a Private Message to wee twistedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well for me i do know from owning my own business what goes into certain projects...meaning research,testing,and re testing and the whole nine yards to make it short...just b fair about pricing and the customers will come...do it for the love of fieros not to make a fortune like others do...just my opinion......
Macs86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2011 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For me price is right is between 300 to 500 give or take a few. That's just my opinion. I really hope these get put on the market.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2011 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Macs86GT:

For me price is right is between 300 to 500 give or take a few. That's just my opinion. I really hope these get put on the market.

If it's a complete drop in kit, that price would work for me--I just hope they are impervious to whatever animal that ate my stodk headlight doors too. I hope it choked on the fiberglass.

Macs86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2011 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I meant as a complete kit, finals week, brain fried
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2011 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll keep the price range in mind. I can't really see it being higher than that.

The only thing I'm going to stay away from is providing hid kits/bulbs and wiring. It's not really my niche and I would welcome someone on the forum to provide harnesses to utilize dual headlights on each side. The projectors I use have adapters for H4 bulbs so the stock harness should work providing you buy your own bulbs. However, this will only light up one of the lights on each side. The second set of bixenon projectors will have to be lit using the previously mentioned harness. I think someone might already make a harness for the FieroFan pop ups that could work? I'll look into that as well.

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 12-12-2011).]

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2011 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a little grainy spy shot of some progress...

PFF
System Bot
Macs86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2011 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good. I think synthesis still makes harnesses. I have one of his for the f1f buckets that lights all 4 when the hi beams are on, What kind of bulbs do the housings fit? The f1f buckets are h9's
wee twisted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2011 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wee twistedSend a Private Message to wee twistedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thumbs up
hairballrm

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2011 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hairballrmClick Here to visit hairballrm's HomePageSend a Private Message to hairballrmEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What fixtures were you intending to use?
I have spoken to theretrofitsource.com/ on the phone but never bought anything.
They carry all kinds of cool stuff.
You will have to build a weather-proof enclosure.

By nature of what I do, I must use weatherproof modules.
These are some of the ones I install.

............... 90mmLB ................................. Bi-Halogen ........................ 60mm LB
available at rallylights.com

------------------
"Now you too can see in the dark."
http://projectorretrofit.com/

zetabird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2011 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zetabirdSend a Private Message to zetabirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump to the too still really wanting a set of these, gotta start saving now lol
Mayor2020

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2011 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mayor2020Send a Private Message to Mayor2020Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I could see me making the headlight assembly, but how would you go by in molding the clear cover for the headlight?
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2011 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just another small update.

The mould for the lenses is in progress. Got some material and the G code for the CNC is being done right now. Hopefully we'll get cutting soon!

I'll be using bi-xenon headlight modules similar to those at the retrofit source. They're not weather proof but the enclosure should keep the elements out. I'll likely add some weather stripping.

Hopefully I'll have more to report soon though!
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2011 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
probes have a headlight conversion kit. $259.

http://www.probeaddiction.com/exterior.htm
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2011 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are a lot of conversions out there for cars that had pop up lights. I wish another application would just bolt into the Fiero but no such luck. Those probe ones look a lot like the gator eyes on the fiero. I hope these ones I'm making will look better! I'm shooting for a competitive price as well. What will be offered for the fiero will contain more than that probe kit (as far as I can tell).

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 12-29-2011).]

Ayrow

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2011 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AyrowClick Here to visit Ayrow's HomePageSend a Private Message to AyrowEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hate to be "that guy", but it they will look awkward and out of place on most Fieros.
The reason it looks good on your car is because you have it lowered, you have ground effects, and the you have larger rims.
All of these elements help give your car a more modern look.

People without all of these mods are probably going to conclude that these headlights look a little silly once they install them.

Just my opinion.

[This message has been edited by Ayrow (edited 12-29-2011).]

coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2011 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
C4, I'd be interested in a set for the Fierion project, definitely will go with the modern look and feel my car will have, I gotta chop that into my drawings with the last gen grand prix round turnsignal/foglamp in the bumper as see what I have.

Jer

------------------
2000 Saturn wagon, the tool box, cargo hauler and beater.....mods coming.
86 GT ex-daily driver w/3800SC, sold to a friend who is going to be racing it.
85 GT project car "Fierion"

Follow the buildup blog at http://coppertopautosports.blogspot.com

PFF
System Bot
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2011 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the corvette C5 pop up replacements use a similar style and look much better than the pop ups .i have Norms flush mounts and they look good but just do not put out enough light .i hate having to have a small set of fog lights to bring the light spread up to where i feel safe .i have not seen a fiero with exposed lights that i did not like .the fiero does not look like an 80's car , why saddle it with 80's pop ups .i was going to try to adapt a set of the vette lights to my fiero but i dont want to hack up the hood .if these lights work out , i am buying a set .
hairballrm

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2011 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hairballrmClick Here to visit hairballrm's HomePageSend a Private Message to hairballrmEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You are about to do the hardest part, which is mold a lens/cover.
I am hoping you are going polycarbonate

------------------
"Now you too can see in the dark."
http://projectorretrofit.com/

falcon_ca

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2011 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for falcon_caSend a Private Message to falcon_caEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PISA lights view from the side

------------------
"I'm not driving too fast, . . . I'm just flying too low."

Work done 07-08 | Work done 08-09 | Work done 09-10 | Work done 10-11 |Work done 11-12 |
4.9 ongoing project |Parts for sale

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2011 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the comments guys, criticism is always welcome. I realize that this mod won't be for everyone. For those who don't think it will "fit" with their mods, there are lots of options out there. This is just one that hopefully some will find attractive. There are a lot of great vendors and do it yourself instructions on this forum to find what you like best!

I will be experimenting with the lens material to find what works best. In the end, I want whoever buys them to be satisfied with the quality/fitment. I'm not really concerned about anything else. If they don't work out and I lose a bunch of money on it... well hopefully I come away with something learned.

Thanks again guys!

Also, falcon_ca if you don't mind, can you take another side shot of that PISA unit with a ruler or something to give a reference of how high those protrude? Thanks!

falcon_ca

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2011 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for falcon_caSend a Private Message to falcon_caEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They are 2 3/16 at the higher . Took from the ground, not from the lip (there is a lip on 3 sides)

------------------
"I'm not driving too fast, . . . I'm just flying too low."

Work done 07-08 | Work done 08-09 | Work done 09-10 | Work done 10-11 |Work done 11-12 |
4.9 ongoing project |Parts for sale

[This message has been edited by falcon_ca (edited 12-29-2011).]

nightonfire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2011 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Doublec4: Good job on the project, this was something I had been playing around with. The C5 concept but applicable to the fiero. I have Kmunson's and I liked them, but needed much more light. I would say follow the same mounting concept, I dont see the issue with the wires, I simply mounted/attached them out of the way so they wouldnt catch. (5 minutes work) Again Kmunson's 2 bolt mounting was quick, easy, and reliable. As for those unimpressed with your idea, many thought the invention of the light bulb was unnecessary and candles were satisfactory. The market your after has the appreciation for what you are doing, keep positive!!!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2012 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks again for the comments guys.

Have to make this a quick update because work comes early in the morning.

Some pictures and a video:

Really happy with the way it looks in the picture so far. Hopefully the surface finish is nice and smooth!

Here's a quick video the CNC guy sent me. Really neat seeing it in progress!

Enjoy!

------------------

Check out my build!
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000100.html

dmcgreene

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2012 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dmcgreeneSend a Private Message to dmcgreeneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
if i have the money when u get these made id love to have a set also lol
wee twisted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2012 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wee twistedSend a Private Message to wee twistedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
great progress...but i have to have that machine
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 12 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock