Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  NEW Headlight Option In The Works! Gauging Interest... (Page 6)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 12 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
NEW Headlight Option In The Works! Gauging Interest... by doublec4
Started on: 11-08-2011 10:16 PM
Replies: 476 (31777 views)
Last post by: Will on 03-01-2018 07:52 PM
Bahrbarian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2012 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BahrbarianSend a Private Message to BahrbarianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just had to chime in as well, I'm loving this mod so far and can't wait to see it installed and FOR SALE! Is that $400 Canadian or US?

Edit for owning page 6!

[This message has been edited by Bahrbarian (edited 04-01-2012).]

IP: Logged
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2012 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys!

I have more work to do on these things this week. I really want to get the process down so its reliable. I'll be making further improvements to my equipment.

The estimated price was in US dollars. Currently, we're about at par anwyays
Dave E Bouy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2012 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave E BouySend a Private Message to Dave E BouyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Love the way this is coming together for you Chris. Keep up the good work.

DF
nightonfire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2012 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hope to see some more pics (maybe even finished product) soon : )
unboundmo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2012 03:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
doublec4... get'r done already... Though I really like the look of the original mod that you did with the s10 lights...

This looks great!. Cant wait for the final product.

[This message has been edited by unboundmo (edited 04-06-2012).]

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2012 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Trying to get it done!

I've had to work a lot of overtime lately and I'm still redesigning my vacuum forming machine. I really only want to sell nice products. Nothing that was done "half assed."

Sorry for the wait guys!
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2012 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No problem, good products are worth waiting for. Do you think the 90mm Hella modules will fit?

Nolan
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2012 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have some larger projectors from a Cadillac that I put under the lens for a test fit. I think you might be able to squeeze 90mm in there but it may take some modifications to the buckets, as well as the brackets that will hold the lights. Hard to say for certain at this point.
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2012 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey... No rush. Just messin with you. I know that you'll turn out a great product
Shill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2012 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShillSend a Private Message to ShillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No rush at all, I want these but currently don't have the funds.
nightonfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2012 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its all ablout the quality, glad yto know this is an important factor to you !!!
PFF
System Bot
Macs86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2012 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would prefer he get the kinks worked out and the process down before selling any kits.
RULOOKIN

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2012 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
gee Chris, if i started doing projects on my wifes granite counter tops she would cut my balls off LOL nice work looking good, wish my shop had granite table tops to work on .....
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2012 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
count me in for a pair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
1985 Fiero GT 4speed 1986 Fiero GT
1997 BMW 328 1984 Porsche 944

FieroNews~Boots~Bag's~Walle ts~Headliner~Spare Cover~
Visors~Sunshads and T-Top Sunshades~Download the Fieronews Catalog HERE~

wee twisted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2012 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wee twistedSend a Private Message to wee twistedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i second that
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2012 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys, got some more work done today on the forming machine.

When this is all said and done, I might have a tail light idea to "modernize" their look too
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2012 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you thought about a notchie clear bubble engine cover? Would that be something you're interested in?
OneSlowFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2012 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OneSlowFieroSend a Private Message to OneSlowFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Post-Easter bump. Hopefully no one is in a candy coma like me. And I would love to see your design for tail lights. My tail lights will be the only stock lighting left on my car after these headlight buckets come out. Everything else will be aftermarket. And we just can't have that
bamman

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2012 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bammanSend a Private Message to bammanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just found this today, and I like it, and could live with that little budge.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was thinking something like this, but for notchies:

Originally posted by Falcon Fiero:

I think it would benefit from curved/molded plexi/acryllic as well.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys, sorry about the delay. Sometimes life gets in the way! I'll be doing more work on this tonight. I feel like I'm at a point where I'm juts slowly chipping away at the progress.

The see through engine cover is a nice idea but I would need to retool for a much bigger vacuum former. Plus, the engine gets a lot hotter than headlights, and I'm not sure if this plastic would be suitable for that application.
PFF
System Bot
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2012 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Extremely pleased to announce that a friend and I made a lot of progress on my forming machine in the past 2 days. It has been designed and redesigned about 10 times now from the start. Taken apart and assembled another 30 times, but we have it performing at a very reliable rate. Its a huge obstacle that we just cleared and there is light at the end of this tunnel!

I have a lot of respect for the guys on this forum that produce their own parts from scratch. Its time consuming, money consuming and just plain frustrating at times. However, when it works, it feels damn good!

I'll keep updating this thread as I go along. Hope people are stil interested when its all said and done!
nightonfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2012 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Having done almost all custom work and one offs, I can appreceate what ur doing, and am really excited about this project!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2012 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nightonfire:

Having done almost all custom work and one offs, I can appreceate what ur doing, and am really excited about this project!

Thanks! Your car definitely is a one off and it looks great.

It also doesn't help that I have no workshop or garage right now. The entire project has been done in my kitchen
wee twisted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2012 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wee twistedSend a Private Message to wee twistedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
im still interested..... ill even give some money now if it helps the process
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2012 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the generous offer, but money isn't holding things back. I do have quite a bit invested because of trial and error. Finding what works and what doesn't can be a costly experiment.

However, I will only be accepting deposits from those who are serious about buying once it is all said and done and they are ready to order. The deposit will be to pay for the bixenon projector units when the time comes!

Thanks!
marshall12285

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2012 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for marshall12285Send a Private Message to marshall12285Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work. When these are available for purchase I think a set will look great tinted to match my black GT.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2012 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by marshall12285:

Nice work. When these are available for purchase I think a set will look great tinted to match my black GT.

I may be able to offer a tinted plastic. I'm going to look into that with my supplier to see if they have the proper thickness and how much light will actually pass through.
pegasus1848

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2012 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pegasus1848Send a Private Message to pegasus1848Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
These are great looking and all I can say is Me first, Me first. hahaha
Just tell me when to send you some money.

You do know that somewhere on these you need to put your name - an artist should always sign their work.

------------------

maryjane

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2012 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wish they were ready now--I'm to the point I either have to rebuild both headlight actuators, or leave them up all the time, and "something" keeps chewing up the headlight doors if I leave them open at night.
skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2012 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

I wish they were ready now--I'm to the point I either have to rebuild both headlight actuators, or leave them up all the time, and "something" keeps chewing up the headlight doors if I leave them open at night.

Chupacabra?
PFF
System Bot
AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2012 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have followed this thread since the beginning and I am extremely awed at what your doing. And like others here, I am loving your work!

now comes the questions
1.) how much? for a complete kit that just bolts on and plugs in? how about for a kit that contains the minimum/essentials that one would need to diy it?
2.) will these lights be easily adjustable? up down and all around?
3.) explain more about the mounting process, will these lights be mounted to some old headlight doors that will need modification or are are you making a plate to mount onto?
4.) how are they in comparison to stock headlights? wiring wise? in performance?

these dont need to be answered quite yet, as I see you are still r&ding your product, but if you could crunch some numbers and give a projection of everything , that would make for the better.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2012 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Austrian Import:

I was thinking something like this, but for notchies:

I think it would benefit from curved/molded plexi/acryllic as well.

That's Dave "Skitime" Horsts old Fiero. The window on the deck lid is custom formed glass that was specially made to his specs. Its a one off design.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

maryjane

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2012 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skuzzbomer:

Chupacabra?

Maybe, but whatever is tough enough to digest fiberglass, I don't want to meet on a dark night.

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2012 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AL87:

I have followed this thread since the beginning and I am extremely awed at what your doing. And like others here, I am loving your work!

now comes the questions
1.) how much? for a complete kit that just bolts on and plugs in? how about for a kit that contains the minimum/essentials that one would need to diy it?
2.) will these lights be easily adjustable? up down and all around?
3.) explain more about the mounting process, will these lights be mounted to some old headlight doors that will need modification or are are you making a plate to mount onto?
4.) how are they in comparison to stock headlights? wiring wise? in performance?

these dont need to be answered quite yet, as I see you are still r&ding your product, but if you could crunch some numbers and give a projection of everything , that would make for the better.

Thanks for the kind words.

To answer your questions:

1) Right now the plan is to sell the kit with everything you'd need minus the HID bulbs/ballasts and wiring. So what you would get is 2 lenses, 2 buckets, 4 bixenon projectors, brackets, hardware, instuctions. All at a price of somewhere around $400 US. Because I haven't finished them yet, I'm estimating how much associated costs will be for me.

2) The plan is to have the headlights adjustible with 3 adjusting screws per light as they are done in many other projector light set ups. Should be easy. Just take the lens off and use a screwdriver, wrench, socket, whatever the hardware and space allows.

3) The bottom buckets will be mounted to your hood. No cutting necessary, no modification of the headlight doors. Just remove the doors and bolt in the buckets. The brackets that hold the lights will bolt to the buckets. The lens on top will be fastened to the buckets as well. How the lenses will be fastened is still up in the air.

4) In terms of performance vs. stock... Theoretically they should be leaps and bounds better. It is new technology vs old sealed beam lights. Depending on how you wire them, you could essentially run 4 HID projectors all at the same time. This would obviously be very bright. The challenge with flushmount lights is getting them high enough, and forward enough so that the light is not obstucted by any body work. I've designed the lights to be mounted high and forward, without making them look awkward and "frog eyed." (in my opinion)

I'm not a wiring pro, which is why I won't be offering any wiring in the kit. If someone else wants to put together a harness or something, feel free to capitalize on the opportunity and sell a harness alongside my kit. My wiring plan is to hook up my primary bixenon pair to the stock wiring harness with the plug and play universal HID kits. The secondary bixenon pair I will install a switch in the cabin and relay that pair right off the battery. The high beam function is activated by solenoids in the bixenon projectors that move a shield. There is a positive/ground wire coming from the projector for these solenoids. How you choose to wire those is up to you. I haven't decided yet. I have a feeling that with 4 HID projectors you may not ever need the high beams, but you never know. Shouldn't be that difficult anyways. Its only a positive/ground that needs to be given power.

Feel free to ask any more questions you may have!

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 04-26-2012).]

Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2012 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As a suggestion, there are several members on the forum who are adept at wiring. Perhaps you could do a joint deal with them to offer a complete kit including wiring?

Just a thought.

Nolan
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2012 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sourmug:

As a suggestion, there are several members on the forum who are adept at wiring. Perhaps you could do a joint deal with them to offer a complete kit including wiring?

Just a thought.

Nolan

Any suggestions Nolan?

I *think* Synthesis was offering wiring harnesses at one time for the FieroFan headlights? I could be wrong..
Alibi

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2012 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AlibiSend a Private Message to AlibiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

Any suggestions Nolan?

I *think* Synthesis was offering wiring harnesses at one time for the FieroFan headlights? I could be wrong..

Last I heard, Synthesis was no longer doing any wiring due to carpal tunnel in one of his wrists. FieroX is in contact with a harness company to make 3800 harnesses and PhoneDawgz makes 3800 harnesses as well, perhaps one of them would be interested.
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Phonedawgz does swap harnesses, maybe he would be interested.

Nolan
AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

3) How the lenses will be fastened is still up in the air.

bingo*

I was thinking somehow with the harness, having it wire upto the stock wiring somehow. I hate wiring... or at least having to figure it out if theres something wrong. I am just thinking "make it as simple as it can be".
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 12 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock