Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  NEW Headlight Option In The Works! Gauging Interest... (Page 5)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 12 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
NEW Headlight Option In The Works! Gauging Interest... by doublec4
Started on: 11-08-2011 10:16 PM
Replies: 476 (31777 views)
Last post by: Will on 03-01-2018 07:52 PM
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2012 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the response.

I already have the low rise kit with Hella 90mm modules so I cast my yes vote to see if you can accommodate them too.

Nolan

Edit for page 5 ownage!

Second edit to ask: Would the lens be mounted to the hood with the light assembly fixed to the car so that only the lens moves when the hood is lifted or wold it be a single assembly?

Thanks

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 03-05-2012).]

IP: Logged
redraif

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2012 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redraifSend a Private Message to redraifEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I might have missed this, but how will the translucent lens attach?

------------------
1984 Indy Fiero SE Pace Car Replica #770
"SE" Stormtrooper Edition
Rescued, resuscitated and reversibly modified! (I'm so not done yet!)

Poly all round & Black Drag DR-34s
Frt: 225/45 on 18x8 (47 offset w/ 8-9mm spacer) 1.5 coils cut off 1984 WS6 springs
Rear: 265/35 on 18x8.5 (45 offset) Coil-overs w/ 10 inch 300lb springs & 7 inch sleeve

Everything is the previous owners fault!

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2012 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The lenses will be attached to the buckets... and the buckets will be attached to the hood. So the lights will essentially lift up with the hood.

How the lenses will be attached to the buckets is optional. I can do exposed fasteners like on the C5R lights (countersunk), or if you don't plan on taking the lenses off for a long time, you could use 3M double sided tape (probably wouldn't recommend doing this), or industrial velco (likely would recommend, its very strong and it would be invisible). Remember that the majority of the underside of the lens will be painted, so you won't see anything underneath in terms of how its attached. Also, the lenses shouldn't be affected by the pressure build up under the hood because the pressure will press against the bottom of the bucket, not the lens. So there should be no concerns of them popping off, like how the stock headlight doors open at high speeds.

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2012 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Picked up a whole bunch of stuff today to make my own vacuum forming machine so we'll see how that goes. I want to make the buckets this way too. Hopefully I'll have more progress pictures tomorrow and on the weekend.

nightonfire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2012 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Keep up the good work!
ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2012 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

Ohhh man, if those were low-pro pop-ups, they would be LOW-profile! IMO, it would look very nice; better then the other offerings...
I am not into the surface mount head lights (at least not on a Fiero) ; But I must say, your doing a fantastic job so far!
GT86FASTBACK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2012 02:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GT86FASTBACKSend a Private Message to GT86FASTBACKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey! Great job man! I am loving what your doing right here. I was hoping someone would do something like this for the fieros... Keep it up! I would love to see a fully finished product. Ill def get a set for sure!
CrazyDragn

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2012 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have buckets you might be interested in. The plstic light coverswould begreatwith these too.....
Good job BTW.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/108656.html
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2012 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CrazyDragn:

I have buckets you might be interested in. The plstic light coverswould begreatwith these too.....
Good job BTW.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/108656.html

Puts the lights too far back and defeats the purpose of the new lenses in my opinion.

Nolan
Shill

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2012 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ShillSend a Private Message to ShillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure what you did with the material after you destroyed it with the hammer, but out of curiosity if you end up with more material and it gets scuffed up again, how well do the scuff marks buff out?

And, i'm in need of new headlights, any estimate on dates and cost when these are final?
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2012 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
CrazyDragn, thanks for the offer, but as Sourmug said, the placement of the lights wouldn't be what I'm shooting for. They look nice though.

Shill, I still have one of the other lenses I hit with a hammer. I'll see if I can get a picture of the scuff. Its actually barely noticable. I haven't tried to buff it out, but I know with this material you can use the blow torch trick to remove scratches. You just keep the flame far enough away from the lens and it heats up the surface enough for it to "melt" a little. I guess the material levels itself back out and becomes clear again. I haven't tried it yet, but I've seen people do it with other plastics on youtube.

I'm hoping to have some sets ready for order in the next month and half. I will pm you about a price estimate. There are a few things still up in the air and it is a loose estimate based on the cost of producing them (obviously). Thanks for your interest!

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 03-11-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2012 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting thread. I did something very similar a few years ago. Never finished the project due to the the size of the smallest round headlight I could fine and the pitch of the Fiero nose.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...07-1-064231.html#p11

Looking good!

------------------
'88 GT, 3800 SC II, IMSA/MadCurls widebody combo, Choptop, Borla exhaust, GT-One NSX Headlights, RX-8 mirrors.
FGTO Build thread ~> Link

[This message has been edited by FierociousGT (edited 03-23-2012).]

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2012 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent FierociousGT.

I was also able to make some progress today... got the heater box built for the DIY vacuum forming machine. Just need to build frames and the vacuum table. Then test it out! If it works, I'll move onto making the moulds for the buckets.

nightonfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2012 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Chris , how did the photos work for you, did you see anything that might work for your mounting? I really think it is a great option, it only take the the two tabs at the front and the two bolts . Let me know
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2012 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nightonfire:

Hey Chris , how did the photos work for you, did you see anything that might work for your mounting? I really think it is a great option, it only take the the two tabs at the front and the two bolts . Let me know

I thought I had emailed you back! If I didn't, I apologize. The pictures were helpful, I will definitely be using a similar method. Thanks!

OneSlowFiero

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2012 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OneSlowFieroSend a Private Message to OneSlowFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Keep up the good work! Can't wait to see the finished product!
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2012 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a sweet mod!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2012 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the comments guys.

I finished up my own vacuum forming machine today and tried my first lens pull on it. It turned out okay but I need to fine tune it a little. Looks like it should work well once I get it dialed in!

Thats great news for progressing this project!
nightonfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2012 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can-not-Wait!!!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2012 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys, I can't hardly wait either!

I ordered the plastic today for the bottom buckets. I will be forming those as well. I should have it in by tomorrow and the mould for the buckets is being made this week. Things are shaping up.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2012 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got the plastic for the bottom buckets. Hope everyone likes black for the bottom buckets. You'll barely see them anyways.

I also managed to pull a near perfect lens from the home made vacuum former. Just need to devise a clamping device and I'm ready to crank out a bunch of lenses.

Only thing left to do is design the bracket that holds the actual headlights and find a shop to make them in metal.

Going home this weekend to cut up a custom hood I was working on so I can use it as a test stand for mounting lights.

Thanks for the patience everyone!
PFF
System Bot
Stevenr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2012 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StevenrSend a Private Message to StevenrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any more pictures of these on the car?
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2012 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Stevenr:

Any more pictures of these on the car?

I'll see what I can do this weekend. I might try to pull the car out of storage if the weather looks good. Otherwise, I'll be cutting up an old hood and using it as a test rig for fitting. I'll post pictures of them on there.

Thanks
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2012 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I chopped up the extra hood I have today... but I didn't get to take the Fiero out. Turned into one cold rainy day!

Here are some pictures of the trimmed lenses in the headlight holes. They fit really well! You'll have to imagine the lights and buckets underneath until I get a chance to make/mount those. Keep in mind the lenses are just taped in place right now so some of the edges may not be sitting flush with the hood.

This week I'll make more progress on the buckets underneath.
ConvictedRedneck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2012 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll admit I was skeptical of how these would look all this time, but now that I see them, WOW! They look freakin sweet. I didn't look through the whole thread, but what's your plan for lights?

[This message has been edited by ConvictedRedneck (edited 03-24-2012).]

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2012 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ConvictedRedneck:

I'll admit I was skeptical of how these would look all this time, but now that I see them, WOW! They look freakin sweet. I didn't look through the whole thread, but what's your plan for lights?

Thanks! Could you be more specific with your question though?

If you're referring to what lights I will be using underneath, I'll be going with dual bi-xenon projectors. They're about 2.5 inches in diameter and have a nice light output.

If you're talking about making more... they will be for sale

Just let me know if that answers your question. Feel free to ask what you want to know!
Stevenr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2012 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StevenrSend a Private Message to StevenrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks great, will definitely be on my wishlist
ConvictedRedneck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2012 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

Thanks! Could you be more specific with your question though?

If you're referring to what lights I will be using underneath, I'll be going with dual bi-xenon projectors. They're about 2.5 inches in diameter and have a nice light output.

If you're talking about making more... they will be for sale

Just let me know if that answers your question. Feel free to ask what you want to know!

My bad, yes, as far as the actual projectors. Hella individual units? Some other complete unit? Or is this still classified info?

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2012 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Stevenr:

Looks great, will definitely be on my wishlist

Thank you

Originally posted by ConvictedRedneck:

My bad, yes, as far as the actual projectors. Hella individual units? Some other complete unit? Or is this still classified info?

I will be using Morimoto H1 bixenon projectors. 2 on each side.
Macs86GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2012 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man that looks even better then i thought they would look, frikin sweet.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2012 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you!

Little bit of progress everyday

PFF
System Bot
jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2012 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
keep up the good work. i love these lights.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2012 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's a really nice mod. I like to keep the dying breed of pop-up headlights alive as long as possible. (one of the things I love about the Fiero)
However I have to applaud you for the wonderful project.

May I suggest another one, somewhat similar? Clear engine cover (possible bubble like this) for notchbacks that shows off the engine. Think a Ferrari, Lamborghini etc. engine cover. (or even the window that's possible on fastbacks.)

What do you think? Feel free to PM me, as not to bring this thread more off-topic, if you wish.

Max
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2012 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice, you should be very proud of what you are accomplishing.

Nolan
redraif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2012 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redraifSend a Private Message to redraifEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks really good!!!!
wee twisted

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2012 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wee twistedSend a Private Message to wee twistedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
im excited...theses are going to be great...have you thought about a price yet...
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2012 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the compliments and words of encouragement!

This week has been pretty hectic... I'll see if I can find some time tomorrow to make more progress.

For price, right now I'm thinking the ball park of $400 for a set. Creating these lights is labor intensive. Everything is made from scratch except the projectors themselves.

What you'd get is 2 lenses, 2 buckets, 4 bixenon HID projectors, brackets, hardware, instructions.

For that price I cannot include HID kits. You will have to source your own HID kits out. I would recommend other vendors on here such as TLG, but you can also try your luck with cheaper kits off of ebay.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2012 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You know what these need? Some art on the backside, the "top" if you will. Some graphics sich as "3800SC, or PONTIAC. Perhaps lit up?
FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2012 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice! Can't wait to see a light test.

------------------
'88 GT, 3800 SC II, IMSA/MadCurls widebody combo, Choptop, Borla exhaust, GT-One NSX Headlights, RX-8 mirrors.
FGTO Build thread ~> Link

GT86FASTBACK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2012 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GT86FASTBACKSend a Private Message to GT86FASTBACKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I cant wait till these are done!!!!!!!!!! This is just what I have been waiting for...
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 12 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock