Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  So you thought the Corvette C5 looks like a Honda? (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
So you thought the Corvette C5 looks like a Honda? by FierociousGT
Started on: 03-04-2007 07:58 PM
Replies: 88
Last post by: JumpStart on 01-30-2008 08:13 AM
FierociousGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2007 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTDirect Link to This Post
Look nice and clean but IMO it does look like a Honda/Acura NSX... What do you think for a stock Fiero? I know TroyBoy is using them on his widebody.

I prefer the Lemans C5 headlight.

[This message has been edited by FierociousGT (edited 11-08-2007).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2007 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
IMO I'd use the NSX headlamps w/ the Fiero Warehouse front nose, and wide-body. The other version of the Corvette headlamps are lacking serious bling.
FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2007 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTDirect Link to This Post
I agree the NSX with Fiero Warehouse widebody look good. IMO I think the NSX headlights would over power the stock Fiero. I working on the Lemans C5 ones. It should practically fit a stock Fiero headlight bay with a minor cut at the front of the hood (about 1.5") when the pop-up cover rests.

[This message has been edited by FierociousGT (edited 03-04-2007).]

CaliforniaSpeeder9

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2007 02:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CaliforniaSpeeder9Click Here to visit CaliforniaSpeeder9's HomePageSend a Private Message to CaliforniaSpeeder9Direct Link to This Post
The C5 looks a lot better with those lights IMO
vafierro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2007 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vafierroClick Here to visit vafierro's HomePageSend a Private Message to vafierroDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone attempted using the corvette lemans lights on a Fiero? Looks like it could be made to work IMO.
FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2007 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by vafierro:
Has anyone attempted using the corvette lemans lights on a Fiero? Looks like it could be made to work IMO.

Who me? Yes I've been working on them for the past few months ON & OFF. I actually purchased the C5 lenses and buckets.... Hacked up the lenses and buckets.... Reduced the width of the lenses to fit the width if the Fieros popup.... threw in the garbage the C5 Lemans buckets (what a waste of money... o well the growing pains of R&D). Had my fiberglass guy finish the combined lenses to have a symmetrical shape that can be used on both sides by cutting off the excess plastic. Now I'm looking for someone who can reproduce the part out of transparent plastic of course. I currently have a mold made out of fiberglass and will be pulling the piece from it on Thursday night with ExoticSE. This is only to testing the proper fit and look.

On the Fiero I cut out about an 1.25" inches from where the pop-up cover rests. I will NOT cut into the bumper or any other part of the hood.

Before and After shots of cut.

The headlight bucket is currently made out of foam board. When I secure the two round headlights I'll post more pic and off to my fiberglass guy to make the molds for the buckets.

This is my goal for Fierocious

[This message has been edited by FierociousGT (edited 03-06-2007).]

vafierro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2007 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vafierroClick Here to visit vafierro's HomePageSend a Private Message to vafierroDirect Link to This Post
are you plannin on using the low profile single halogen in there? It looks like you could use a flat sheet of lexan over than bucket by the way?
FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2007 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by vafierro:
are you plannin on using the low profile single halogen in there? It looks like you could use a flat sheet of lexan over than bucket by the way?

Originally posted by FierociousGT:
I actually purchased the C5 lenses and buckets.... Hacked up the lenses and buckets.... Reduced the width of the lenses to fit the width if the Fieros popup....
The headlight bucket is currently made out of foam board. When I secure the two round headlights I'll post more pic ...

I did NOT buy these halogen (crossed out ones) and the buckets they are mounted on are in the trash. I'm using 4 round JDMs (2 projectors & 2 high beams) will be equipping 2 projectors with HID Xenon kits.

Flat lexan like this.... Hmmm... NO. IMO the topical flush mount kit makes the car look more then 20+ years old, even on the Corvette.... How many C4 & C5 have you seen running around out there with flat flush mount kits? Personally not one, why cause they look IMO awful. I've only seen Fieros with these. Now Vettes with the Lemans kit? In person have not seen one on the street, why cause they are not cheap and most don't know where to get them. This is what the C5R used at lemans.

Now how is the finished product going to look on a Fiero? From photo shopping and other tests it looks real good but I won't know the end result until finished and mounted. I just hope the time and money I've invested is not in vane... but it's a good learning experience!

[This message has been edited by FierociousGT (edited 03-06-2007).]

WhiteDevil88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 497
User Banned

Report this Post03-07-2007 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteDevil88Send a Private Message to WhiteDevil88Direct Link to This Post
Big ups for stepping up and going outside the box. I look forward to seeing how this turns out. I like to look at all the cheap "JDM" style headlight kits on eBay and imagine how I could hack up the buckets to fit under the Fiero headlight doors.

Why is it that the C5r buckets were useless?

------------------
Never Lose Respect-So We Prevail

FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2007 06:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTDirect Link to This Post
Due to the shape and dimension. The corners are too curved on the C5 Lemans buckets. It was easier to make them out of foam board. Yes the JDM are more economical but I'm don't like the lighting of the projector HL. Even with Sylvania Silver Stars don't impress me. This is why I'm going to use HID Xenons. The high beams HL w/ Sylvania Silver Stars are fine. Also the challenge as been that the projector HL is 90mm vs the high beam HL is 70mm.

[This message has been edited by FierociousGT (edited 03-07-2007).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2007 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

I like you're "goal" modifications.

PFF
System Bot
FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2007 07:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTDirect Link to This Post
Well last night with Rgirau we pulled the TEST piece from the mold. I'll post a video of the entire process of making this piece so you can see how time consuming this is. It's been a learning experiences for me.

Trim and cut away excess fiberglass to fit right side.

Now Bandidos, what I need is feedback please.... The Good, The Bad and The Ugly... Be honest and please note the following:

1.- This is a fiberglass piece for fit testing (shape test).
2.- The finished piece will be out of a transparent plastic material. Like the C5 Lemans HL.
3.- It will have two (2) round headlights.
4.- no this is not a pop-up cover.... Read previous post.

This way I can decide to move froward building Fierocious HL.
Thanks!
TorqueWench

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2007 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TorqueWenchSend a Private Message to TorqueWenchDirect Link to This Post
if you can find someone to make the piece out of clear plastic, i would imagine there would be a line forming behind you to also do this mod. i know i would. it's chic.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2007 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Now Bandidos, what I need is feedback please.... The Good, The Bad and The Ugly... Be honest and please note the following:

1.- This is a fiberglass piece for fit testing (shape test).
2.- The finished piece will be out of a transparent plastic material. Like the C5 Lemans HL.
3.- It will have two (2) round headlights.
4.- no this is not a pop-up cover.... Read previous post.

This way I can decide to move froward building Fierocious HL.
Thanks!

Okay. First off...the Upside:

1. I love that you've tweek'd the part to fit the Fiero. A-plus for that!
2. IMO, they look better than the Camero-like ones.
3. The "hump" like structure is similar to the NSX headlamps that Troyboy has.
4. It appears to me limited construction (cutting the nose and stuff) in application that homebrew person could install.
5. Cheaper vs. the Real NSX headlamps.
6. The "part" Maintains the structual integity of the Fiero. A+

Downside:

1. If the outer edges were the hex screws are attached, maybe you could smoke-lens this area to reduce the visability of the hex screws? I'm guessing a person could take the outer clear lens to a tint shop?
2. Hmm. It's not following your sig car, but it's close enough.
3. ??? That's all that I can think of right now....

------------------

"Anyone can make a copy of something, it may look good but it ever is the real car. Make something from your imagination, something unique, something nobody has, anything is possible and, ideas can be a reality."

FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2007 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:
Downside:

2. Hmm. It's not following your sig car, but it's close enough.

Sorry I did not understand, what do you mean by sig car?

Thanks for the feedback... and Keep 'em coming!
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2007 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
Now thats what I like to see!!!

Those will look AWESOME when they're done! I'll have to start saving!

------------------

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2007 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Sorry I did not understand, what do you mean by sig car?

Thanks for the feedback... and Keep 'em coming!

This one:

Thanks for having a "opened mind" when it comes to building your Fiero.

Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2007 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
I have several shops in my area that vacuum form Lexan.

All you would need to do is have a custom mold made that is oven safe, and has the necessary vacuum ports built into it. Usually a 150 dollar setup fee plus the cost of materials in the mold.

Do you intend for the lights to stay in place on the car when the hood comes up, or will the lights come up with the hood?

If the latter, you can also have a small radius curve put into the edges, so that the light lens and bucket all mount to the underside of the hood, rather than with screws from the top.

If the former, then a bracket can be made to hide the mounts under the edges of the hood.

I have been looking into something like this.
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2007 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Reminds me of the "Gator Eyes" that everyone hated.

[This message has been edited by Jncomutt (edited 03-09-2007).]

cire36

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2007 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cire36Send a Private Message to cire36Direct Link to This Post
I have a set of the Mazda RX7 projectors (not the $1200/pair ones, the under $200 ones offered on Ebay). Do you think your covers would work with those? I dont want to have just the plastic bucket sticking up. I want a smooth cover like what you are making.

Nice job by the way, very nice. A thumbs up from me.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2007 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Looks good David !

Sorry i missed the mold pulling and the fiberglass laying. This mod is really going to turn out nice, and you will probably have many others who will want a set !

How about Ruben getting a little face time ! hehehe
PFF
System Bot
FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2007 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTDirect Link to This Post
Great ran into some issues with the design. Glad I had a test piece made out of fiber glass before having the vacuum forming mold for the clear lens made.

Solution:

edit: fixed issue with uploaded pics

[This message has been edited by FierociousGT (edited 03-11-2007).]

FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2007 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTDirect Link to This Post

FierociousGT

2307 posts
Member since Jan 2007

Originally posted by Jncomutt:
Reminds me of the "Gator Eyes" that everyone hated.

Here is the difference...

[This message has been edited by FierociousGT (edited 03-11-2007).]

fieroboy_gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2007 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboy_gtSend a Private Message to fieroboy_gtDirect Link to This Post
I was wondering are there any kits made that you could just buy to put a flush mount headlight kit on the car.
FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2007 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTDirect Link to This Post
FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2007 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTDirect Link to This Post
I got my transparent lens cover today (from over seas due to the lower costs ). These are 1/2" taller which is great for the 90mm protector type headlight . The bad thing is the lip issue that I'm having could not be resolved before these where made , so now I have two lens cover and will make the necessary modifications for each side.

Here are some pictures. I have not cut off the excess plastic to fit the popup compartment.

Now I need some opinions here... I'm was considering reducing the width of the clear lens but have considered cutting the extra part of the hood. see yellow area in pic. What would you do?

[This message has been edited by FierociousGT (edited 03-17-2007).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2007 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

David that looks awesome !!

IMO i would cut the hood ! You can always get another hood, but you have gone so far in the research and development of this project, it would be a shame to throw it all away without even trying.

As you can see below the hood can still look good with that section cut out,..just ask madcurl !

------------------

1985SE chopped and dropped/ V-8 Archie Choptop #4
1986GT
1986 coupe 2M4

cholo900rr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2007 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cholo900rrSend a Private Message to cholo900rrDirect Link to This Post
that looks really good IMO.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2007 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post

I got my transparent lens cover today (from over seas due to the lower costs ). These are 1/2" taller which is great for the 90mm protector type headlight . The bad thing is the lip issue that I'm having could not be resolved before these where made , so now I have two lens cover and will make the necessary modifications for each side.

Here are some pictures. I have not cut off the excess plastic to fit the popup compartment.

Now I need some opinions here... I'm was considering reducing the width of the clear lens but have considered cutting the extra part of the hood. see yellow area in pic. What would you do?

These look really really good!

If you've cut one piece of the hood I dont think people will care if they have to cut another side of it. At that point its getting chopped up either way.

However, I think you would sell more of these great pieces if there was a way to do this without any cutting of the hood at all. Just a thought. I'm sure you've looked into that.

Either way I'm not sure how much you'll be charging for this kind of set up when its all done but I'd love to save up for a set.

------------------

FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2007 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:
These look really really good!
If you've cut one piece of the hood I dont think people will care if they have to cut another side of it. At that point its getting chopped up either way.
However, I think you would sell more of these great pieces if there was a way to do this without any cutting of the hood at all. Just a thought. I'm sure you've looked into that.

Either way I'm not sure how much you'll be charging for this kind of set up when its all done but I'd love to save up for a set.

Hmmmm. You have a valid point. I have not looked into it. ExoticSE and everyone else what do you think? I'm going to look into it this week.

PS
By the way does anyone have super glue so I can glue back the piece I cut off?

[This message has been edited by FierociousGT (edited 03-18-2007).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2007 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

If your aim is to sell them, he is 100% right. Most of the guys and ladies don't like cutting and chopping things up and just want something bolt on or plug in.

(Madcurl takes a deep breath !)

If this is a one off, then your choices are limited only to your tastes.
PFF
System Bot
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2007 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
The biggest reasons for not wanting to cut up the hood are as follows:

1. Ease of installtion. Cutting isn't all that intimidating but it can become a big problem if you screw up.
2. Cleanliness of installation. Cutting the hood would mean having it repainted or the edges smoothed out and paint blended in for those perfectionists out there.
3. Uninstallation. If for some reason you want your old pop-ups back on, you're going to need a whole new hood as well, with a new paint job.

For those 3 reasons, people might shy away from your product if it requires modification of body parts.

And for those people who don't mind cutting up their hoods... well, they're still going to buy your product anyways. And if they want to make it even more wild, they don't mind going through the trouble of more custom work.
------------------

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 03-19-2007).]

FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2007 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTDirect Link to This Post
ExoticSE & Doublec4... I wasn't thinking about making this a product to sell but there seems to be interest in it. Of course we will all have to wait to see the end results. I like Doublec4's idea NOT to cut the hood. One of the reasons I decide to cut was due to the height of the C5 Lemans lens (the corvette nose has more pitch then the Fieros) clear lens and the round headlights (specially the 90mm one). Since these new clear lenses are 1/2 an inch higher that made a difference for the 90mm HL. I will cut up these two clear lenses and make one for each side. I will also redo the buckets to fit.

The idea is to keep the cost down. I would sell these with out the JDM headlights (90mm driving HL & 70mm high beam HL w/ angel eyes). This way anyone can purchase these economical JDM's on eBay to screw them in or make minor mod for any other headlight up to 90mm (eg: Hella).

Any other ideas?

[This message has been edited by FierociousGT (edited 03-19-2007).]

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2007 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
So you'd be selling the lenses, and the buckets/whatever it takes to mount the lights? Just not the lights themselves

IF of course you decide to make these available
------------------

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 03-19-2007).]

kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2007 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerDirect Link to This Post
Those look really nice!
I'm sure there's some interest from others in buying something like this, but also know that interest and cash-in-hand-waiting-in-line aren't the same thing, and sometimes there is a huge difference. Just going from various products I have seen shown off here before. If it were me, I'd make it a one-off, and then be free to chop up/modify however I wanted, and not be limited to what works for an easy install (if that isn't the goal). I think the end result will be better off for it.
cholo900rr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2007 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cholo900rrSend a Private Message to cholo900rrDirect Link to This Post
I think that's a great idea to make the "kit" as simple as possible for others to use. like not having to cut the hood. You have already done a lot of legwork why not make a little cash too. Its like you said, selling them wasn't your primary intention so you aren't looking to make a fortune on them, but if you make a quality product that's good it will sell itself.
FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2007 04:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTDirect Link to This Post
Due to more complications with the headlight design (plus stress, time, money, etc) I have decided to terminate Fiero C5 Lemans style headlight project . I'm considering hacking the hood some more and use these ebay 97-04 Corvette C5 LeMans C5R Twin Projector Headlights which have dropped in price considerably (several -$100s) from what they where last year from the same seller (shipping hasn't change).

PS
By the way has anyone seen these besides eBay?
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2007 07:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post

Due to more complications with the headlight design (plus stress, time, money, etc) I have decided to terminate Fiero C5 Lemans style headlight project . I'm considering hacking the hood some more and use these ebay 97-04 Corvette C5 LeMans C5R Twin Projector Headlights which have dropped in price considerably (several -$100s) from what they where last year from the same seller (shipping hasn't change).

PS
By the way has anyone seen these besides eBay?

So what are you going to do with those clear lenses that you had made? Do they fit with just cutting the front part of the hood? Let me know because if you're going to get rid of them, I'd probably want them so I could put them aside and do it for myself someday. What other complications did you run into>?

------------------

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2007 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Good Choice.

------------------

"Anyone can make a copy of something, it may look good but it ever is the real car. Make something from your imagination, something unique, something nobody has, anything is possible and, ideas can be a reality."

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2007 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
bump, any idea what you're doing with those lenses?

------------------

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock