Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  I want to help out a member, I have an idea, and I need your help. PLEASE READ!!! (Page 62)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 79 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
I want to help out a member, I have an idea, and I need your help. PLEASE READ!!! by Hulki U. My-BFF
Started on: 10-30-2009 11:35 AM
Replies: 3149 (130693 views)
Last post by: JohnWPB on 05-27-2022 03:58 PM
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2009 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gilder:

What is the difference between the two transmissions? What is the horsepower difference between the two engines? If their something that needs to be done with the car I can help out. Just let me know.

The original Fiero Auto is a TH125 and it's a 3 speed. They are not designed for much more horsepower than the stock 2.8 put's out. The 4t60 / 65 are 4 speed overdrive auto's that were found behind the 3800SC's and other later model GM front wheel drive cars. I can't tell you what the HP difference between the 2.8 and the 3.4DOHC.

Pat

Oh yeah - finally - Page 62 ownage!

[This message has been edited by katatak (edited 11-24-2009).]

IP: Logged
2.5fierose

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 136
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2009 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5fieroseSend a Private Message to 2.5fieroseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hey guys are sure the guys donating the tranny isnt the right one cause there some jr trannys or something like that you sure they dont have the right one

------------------
1986 Fiero GT
Grand Am Brakes
Mr. Mike's Leather

KEV

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2009 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KEVSend a Private Message to KEVEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by KEV (edited 11-26-2009).]

Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 295
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2009 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I spoke with Stuart today. I trust him to pull your engine swap off without problems. My only concern is that the TH125 transmission that is being donated will have issues with the 3.4. It is geared wrong, when you are doing 65 MPH down the highway, the engine will be running at high RPMs.. That means you will get poor mileage.

The 4T60E transmission is made specifically to run on that engine, and other higher powered engines such as the 3.8 and 3800...

It bolts in just like the TH125, but it is stronger, more durable, and you will get better mileage... And you will still be able to punch the gas and get the tires to spin...
Plus, it will make it easier for the swap, because you don't have to cut out the wiring for the transmission, and modifying the chip is easier.

Darth Fiero does custom programming of the chips on those engines... If you go with the 4T60E transmission, then it would be real easy to have him modify the chip so that the engine runs just like it did in the original car.
KEV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2009 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KEVSend a Private Message to KEVEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fosgatecavy98

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2009 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can actually change the gearing pretty easily, you can gear them to 3.33, 3.43, 3.73 or 3.18 with the right combination of differentials (final drives) and drive/driven chain gears.

I wouldnt think it would be a horrible transmission for the engine, however if they go through the work of getting into the internals of the 3 speed, it may be easier to just have the 4 speed installed.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2009 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What about a getrag?
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2009 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

pontiackid86

19632 posts
Member since Sep 2008

Originally posted by Synthesis:

Also, your car will be headed to Tires Plus tomorrow to get the new Brake Master Cylinder. I felt the brakes in your car, and while the new Grand Am brakes stop it on a dime, the pedal travels too far... I am going to get the upgraded master cylinder installed for you, and that should take care of the problem entirely.

Its not his master cylinder. I drove the car and noticed the same thing. His ebrake cables are not ajusted right. My 86 does it, My 87 dose it as well.
PURPLE REIGN

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 303
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2009 02:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PURPLE REIGNSend a Private Message to PURPLE REIGNEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

Its not his master cylinder. I drove the car and noticed the same thing. His ebrake cables are not ajusted right. My 86 does it, My 87 dose it as well.

Try again there PK.....remember it got the Grand Am upgrade.....it doesn't have brake cables hooked up silly.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2009 02:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PURPLE REIGN:

Try again there PK.....remember it got the Grand Am upgrade.....it doesn't have brake cables hooked up silly.

True. Who knows i dont think its the master cylinder though.

PURPLE REIGN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2009 02:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PURPLE REIGNSend a Private Message to PURPLE REIGNEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Considering they put new lines, calipers & all on there. I would start with a power bleed & let the new pads wear in.

And i'd leave that motor alone with it running & sounding that well.
PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2009 02:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lol im not going to say anything........... J/K dude you did a great job and are one hell of a mechanic.

87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2009 02:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone remember what the did with the "v" part in the center of the chin spoiler? I don't know if I should leave it or cut it off.
PURPLE REIGN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2009 02:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PURPLE REIGNSend a Private Message to PURPLE REIGNEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lol im not going to say anything........... J/K dude you did a great job and are one hell of a mechanic.

Well, all i'll say to that is there are more underlying reasons & everone else agrees to them too.
PURPLE REIGN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2009 02:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PURPLE REIGNSend a Private Message to PURPLE REIGNEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

PURPLE REIGN

4080 posts
Member since Sep 2002

Originally posted by 87antuzzi:

Anyone remember what the did with the "v" part in the center of the chin spoiler? I don't know if I should leave it or cut it off.

You mean the center support from the upper section to the bottom of the nose ? They're all cut off, none of us have them.
87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2009 02:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes. So there is a v shaped groove where it used to be? I spoiler on tylers car and
PURPLE REIGN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2009 02:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PURPLE REIGNSend a Private Message to PURPLE REIGNEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Depends on how you cut it.....most i've seen, everyone back cuts that lower section just to the point of the "v". When installed ( if someone were to look ) it's not noticeable.
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2009 03:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ok, now I will put my $.02 into it. I agree with PR 1000% on this. There was a lot of love and parts and parts put into that 2.8 to make it run as superb as it does now. I also will say it is kind of a slap in the face to the people who donated the custom engraved intake and the EGR cover. (left their names out so it doesn't look like I am speaking for them) I understand the thirst for more power, really I do, but to go and yank that 2.8 out a week after all of the blood, sweat, and tears that went into it, is kind of a hard pill to swallow.

BUT - Tyler, this is your car and you need to do what brings you happiness. If this swap will be done cleanly, and properly - NOT WITH A TH-125, and it's what you truly feel you must do, then go for it. None of us will think bad of you for doing it. I just ask that you take into consideration all of the work that was put into your 2.8.

I hope I don't come off as a jerk here, it's not my intention.

Andy
87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2009 03:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just had a "flash back". On thursday tyler and I were talking and somehow it got brought up that his horn got stuck on so he ripped the pin out. So chris when you go back you might want to fix the horn . As far as the swap...tyler you have a fiero that looks like it was just driven off the showroom floor in 86. The car is perfect. If I was you I would do it.... I rode in stuarts swapped fiero. I have NEVER been scared in a car until the
carbon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2009 07:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am an idiot...

[This message has been edited by carbon (edited 12-13-2009).]

Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2009 07:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by katatak:

I may have missed it somehwere in this enormous thread. Does anyone know if Mrs. Wake shipped the shirts that were ordered? I've left her a few PM's but I have not heard from her. We have a Fiero gathering planned down here in the desert and I would like o wear the shirt to it. Mainly for pride but also to generate some more interest in the project. Thanks in advance.

Pat

I also have that same question......-Jason

PFF
System Bot
cornersonrails

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2009 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cornersonrailsClick Here to visit cornersonrails's HomePageSend a Private Message to cornersonrailsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by katatak:

I may have missed it somehwere in this enormous thread. Does anyone know if Mrs. Wake shipped the shirts that were ordered? I've left her a few PM's but I have not heard from her. We have a Fiero gathering planned down here in the desert and I would like o wear the shirt to it. Mainly for pride but also to generate some more interest in the project. Thanks in advance.

Pat

Originally posted by Fierofreak00:

I also have that same question......-Jason

I will send her an e.mail and let her know to check her PMs
Gilder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2009 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GilderSend a Private Message to GilderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Kev I got it.
KennyH

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2009 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KennyHSend a Private Message to KennyHEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is Tylers wesite down for upgrading or is it just me?
Later,
Kenny
carbon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2009 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KennyH:

Is Tylers wesite down for upgrading or is it just me?
Later,
Kenny

Nope, its down... I tried to show someone at work this morning. Yay... Apache error page.
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2009 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The hosting company who had it cancelled the account without notification. They just up and shut it off because it was "Using too many resources"..

So, the site has been moved to a new host, and should be up shortly... I have also offered to host it in order to keep it up.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2009 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The hosting company who had it cancelled the account without notification. They just up and shut it off because it was "Using too many resources"..

In a round about way, that could be viewed as good news or a compliment of sorts. It means the site and it's contents are getting lots and lots of attention, views, and hits.

But yeah, the hosting co could have handled it differently and in a more tactfull manner.

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2009 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

True. Who knows i dont think its the master cylinder though.

With new calipers that have a larger bore size, new brake lines, new pads and rotors, the only thing left is the master cylinder...

The Fiero master cylinder is designed to push enough fluid for the original calipers. When you put calipers that have a larger bore and piston size, you have to push the pedal further in order to stop the car. This feels like a soft pedal, which in many cases can feel unsafe, and lead someone into panic braking.

Installing a new 1994 Chevy Full Sized blazer master cylinder will resolve this issue, especially when the system is bled properly.

The only other upgrade would be to add the dual diaphragm brake booster.

The brakes will stop that car on a dime.
KennyH

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2009 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KennyHSend a Private Message to KennyHEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So, the site has been moved to a new host, and should be up shortly... I have also offered to host it in order to keep it up.

Ok. Is Danyel still the webmaster then? I have been trying to upload my angle of your speech and the reveal and he has been most helpful. I am kinda slow with this stuff and am sure I am trying his patience.
Later,
Kenny
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2009 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, he is still the webmaster...

If you would like, I can also host the video for you. Are you trying to upload to Youtube, or to the site via FTP?
KennyH

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2009 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KennyHSend a Private Message to KennyHEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes, he is still the webmaster...

If you would like, I can also host the video for you. Are you trying to upload to Youtube, or to the site via FTP?

Tried youtube,facebook, emailing to a member, and to Tylers site via FTP, NO LUCK.I think it has something to do with MY internet provider. I burned it to a cd and if Danyels idea didn't work was gonna see if I could send it to you Chris, by mail.

Kenny

[This message has been edited by KennyH (edited 11-25-2009).]

PFF
System Bot
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2009 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok. Let me ask this...

How big is the video file, and what errors are happening when you try to upload?
KennyH

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2009 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KennyHSend a Private Message to KennyHEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
492 mb. I think it times out. It may have something to do with my server cuz I uploaded one to Youtube of 88mb and it took it. Same camera taken the same day.....
Thanks for the help, I think it'll be worth it...
Kenny
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2009 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tyler,

I sent you a very important PM. I'm sure your inbox is overflowing with PM's, but please check for it. Thanks

Andy
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2009 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KennyH:

492 mb. I think it times out. It may have something to do with my server cuz I uploaded one to Youtube of 88mb and it took it. Same camera taken the same day.....
Thanks for the help, I think it'll be worth it...
Kenny

I can host it for you. How familiar are you with FTP transfers?
KennyH

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2009 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KennyHSend a Private Message to KennyHEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I can host it for you. How familiar are you with FTP transfers?

Not really, that is what Danyel was walking me through. I have downloaded filezilla and he sent me some info to plug into the form, that is when I noticed Tylers site was down cuz it said it failed.
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2009 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
K... Give me a few moments.. I'll set you up.
If we can get it up on my site, I can upload it to Youtube.
Incoming PM..
PURPLE REIGN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2009 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PURPLE REIGNSend a Private Message to PURPLE REIGNEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hulki U. My-BFF:

Ok, now I will put my $.02 into it. I agree with PR 1000% on this. There was a lot of love and parts and parts put into that 2.8 to make it run as superb as it does now. I also will say it is kind of a slap in the face to the people who donated the custom engraved intake and the EGR cover. (left their names out so it doesn't look like I am speaking for them) I understand the thirst for more power, really I do, but to go and yank that 2.8 out a week after all of the blood, sweat, and tears that went into it, is kind of a hard pill to swallow.

BUT - Tyler, this is your car and you need to do what brings you happiness. If this swap will be done cleanly, and properly - NOT WITH A TH-125, and it's what you truly feel you must do, then go for it. None of us will think bad of you for doing it. I just ask that you take into consideration all of the work that was put into your 2.8.

I hope I don't come off as a jerk here, it's not my intention.

Andy

Couldn't have said it better myself !!!!!

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2009 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To me to swap or not is completely up to Tyler. I understand both viewpoints, and ultimatly think it boils down to something we all probably have.
The Fiero bug deep down inside us that says "it is never done", always wanting to upgrade something. I was there to help build a car for Tyler and if he prefers an upgrade Im' cool.
KEV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2009 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KEVSend a Private Message to KEVEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 79 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock