Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Fiero Lambo and Other Door Systems (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 14 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14 
Previous Page | Next Page
Fiero Lambo and Other Door Systems by Xtreme-Doors
Started on: 02-06-2007 12:14 AM
Replies: 545
Last post by: AJ7 on 02-29-2008 12:08 AM
Xtreme-Doors

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2007 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Xtreme-DoorsClick Here to visit Xtreme-Doors's HomePageSend a Private Message to Xtreme-DoorsDirect Link to This Post
Hi,

My name is Chris Wesley, and I'm from Xtreme-Doors. For those who are still interested in Lambo / Vertical Doors for their cars, my company would be glad to take on this project, and create custom bolt-on Lambo Door Systems. We will be able to provide 3 different types of Lambo Door Systems, as well as 2 other systems. They are :

1.) Universal Weld-on 105° Lambo Door System ($400)

2.) Car Specific Vertical Door System (opens 70° Vertical, and capable of opening 45° Horizontally) ($500)

3.) Brand New 90° Bolt-On Vertical Door System. ($600)

4.) Gullwing Door System ($450)

5.) Suicide Door System ($300)

Also we can provide the upgrade to make these kits completely automatic, so your doors open at the push of a button. I can provide pricing on this if anybody is interested in that option. All of our products have been engineered to be very strong, as well we incorporated the use of Aircraft Grade Aluminum for some of the components on our products to help reduce the overall weight. We also utilize self lubricating bushings in all points of movement, to provide smooth movement. I will post more information within the next day or so regarding our products, but in the meantime feel free to browse our website at http://www.xtreme-doors.com . If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me. Email is sales@xtreme-doors.com . Also if there is someone I need to talk to on this site about setting this up, if someone could let me know that would be greatly appreciated as I would like to start this off on the right foot.

Thanks,

Chris Wesley
Xtreme-Doors
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2007 07:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODDirect Link to This Post
Chris
Welcome to the Forum. This should spark some interest because people on here have been looking for a bolt on kit for the Fiero. One question, why do you say here that the
90 degree kit is 600.00 but on your website it says 999.00?
Thanks, Mike
jack_ink

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2007 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jack_inkClick Here to visit jack_ink's HomePageSend a Private Message to jack_inkDirect Link to This Post
Dont take it wrong as I have had many a Lambo-door kit installed and I did do many of them on many many different cars and until I see a specific kit... like one I am trying to design myself specifically for the fiero with bolt on directness -- as simple as the bolts can be placed in and the door mounter on its new hinge with its bolts, no measuring or drilling.. when I see that or get to demo a set which if that simple I would buy it and probably help you sell a few sets extra at those prices but other than that kind of mean statement I see the same thing as every other kit I have ordered and been taking to my friends body shops to help me install due to drilling/welding/extensive installation of thier "made for bolt on kit" and it has often required 3 helpers to be done right with the "kits" I have...

no need to justify the thread but you would already have a waiting list if they were that simple and those prices and I do like the suicide kits you have...

not trying to bash even though at a glance it may seem that way, just tired of all the direct "made for your car" things that are having to be pain in the @Z$ installs and I would like to see/ hear from a member on here that has one of your kits that installation was made for a fiero and simple...
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2007 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
Make delorian sytle doors and then I'll be interested

nah, this is tempting, I'll look around your site some. If you need a test car let me know, I have one that is sitting for the winter, I would love to have a reason to take it out and drive it.

On a side note, while I think his approach is technicaly against forum rules, I think Cliff should issue a "pardon" as this isnt the simple "buy my crap" or "goto my website" advertisement. At least until we can evaluate it.
SAFASTRO

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2007 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SAFASTROClick Here to visit SAFASTRO's HomePageSend a Private Message to SAFASTRODirect Link to This Post
Hey Chris....welcome to the forum!!
If you guys can come up with a kit that is "bolt-on" direct with no modifying....I think you have found a place where you will spark a whole wack load of interest!!!
If you had some pictures to show exactly what these kits look like installed on a "fiero"......cha-ching!!!!!
We look forward to seeing your product.

Oh, since I live in Calgary.....are your prices in CDN, or USD???

------------------

AJ7

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2007 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AJ7Send a Private Message to AJ7Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86GT3.4DOHC:

Make delorian sytle doors and then I'll be interested

that would be the gullwing doors..

[This message has been edited by AJ7 (edited 02-06-2007).]

Finally_Mine_86_GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2007 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post
gullwings on a fiero... hmm that may be possible...
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2007 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AJ7:

that would be the gullwing doors..

lol, sorry its been a long morning...

Yes, it was a joke.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2007 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Finally_Mine_86_GT:

gullwings on a fiero... hmm that may be possible...

Many things are possible given enough time and money.

As for lambo doors, it is frustrating to see all the talk of a bolt on kit for the Fiero, but none has yet to be produced for general sale at a reasonale price. If you build it, we will come.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2007 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by topcat here:

In my opinion it is extremely rude to come into someone else's thread to promote your item.

I agree.

So far Xtreme-Doors has 2 posts and they are identical and not once is the word "Fiero" used - and that seriously reeks of (a Copy & Paste) spam. A few members have asked question, so let's see if they are answered. If not, these posts will be considered spam and removed from the forum.

PS: If it wasn't your intention to spam the forum then, well, welcome!
DrCPU

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2007 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DrCPUSend a Private Message to DrCPUDirect Link to This Post
PBJ is in London - maybe he - or someone else from the Southern Ontario Fiero owners group can "drop" by this place to see what he has to offer.

Dave
PFF
System Bot
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2007 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

I agree.

So far Xtreme-Doors has 2 posts and they are identical and not once is the word "Fiero" used - and that seriously reeks of (a Copy & Paste) spam.

True, true, I hadnt noticed the other posting, and you're right they do look like pre-fabricated statements. I recend my previous enthusiastic request for a pardon, and issue a timid suggestion for a temporary stay of execution.

If he doesn't post here to his defense, then I would assume he just dropped his name and took off never to return... Ahh... its so sad that we are all so jaded...
JumpStart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2007 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JumpStartSend a Private Message to JumpStartDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

I agree.

So far Xtreme-Doors has 2 posts and they are identical and not once is the word "Fiero" used - and that seriously reeks of (a Copy & Paste) spam. A few members have asked question, so let's see if they are answered. If not, these posts will be considered spam and removed from the forum.

PS: If it wasn't your intention to spam the forum then, well, welcome!

And that make 2 that smell of ye ole "Copy & Paste" LOL
Cajun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2007 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunDirect Link to This Post

Like most if this turned out to be a true post and end up being a viable product I'm sure most would sign up. Me included. On the other hand I notice the post was dropped by Extreme-Doors and not another word. Spam..........

Proof is in the pudding......where is the demo vehicle (Fiero) with the product installed and validated.
Xtreme-Doors

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2007 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Xtreme-DoorsClick Here to visit Xtreme-Doors's HomePageSend a Private Message to Xtreme-DoorsDirect Link to This Post
Hi all,

First off. What we are offering is a custom made solution for the Fiero. We would work with either someone in the area, or find a donor car that we can get the necessary measurements from. As well for those interested in the Delorian Doors, that would be the same as the Gullwing Door Kit we offer. Also for those that feel those were 2 fabricated posts, this would not be true, the reason that they look the same, is because they are. I originally posted on that other post, but seeing as it is quite old I figured it might be best to start a new thread on this topic, so I went ahead and posted the message again under a new thread to catch others interest. The reason I decided to post on this forum is because I came acrossed the other Thread that was started and saw that it became seriously dragged on, and as his last post stated that he would no longer be going thru with it, I figured for those that had been waiting, and to be let down by that, I would be more then happy to offer my services and provide a product. Again I would be more then happy to provide pictures of the products we turn out, and to set something up with someone in the area to help create a TRUE bolt on conversion. So again there was no intention of spamming, and I can see how it would appear this way, I just wanted to make sure that the post was noticed for those that have been waiting on a Lambo Door Kit. If anyone has any other questions I would be more than happy to answer them for you. Thanks again.
Xtreme-Doors

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2007 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Xtreme-DoorsClick Here to visit Xtreme-Doors's HomePageSend a Private Message to Xtreme-DoorsDirect Link to This Post

Xtreme-Doors

85 posts
Member since Feb 2007
As for the pricing structure. While the website does indeed say $999.00, that is the retail price, and we have lowered our prices significantly for this group buy. This helps us provide products for a vehicle that Lambo Door Conversions aren't readily available for, and helps us increase our applications list. Our prices are also in Canadian Dollars. And again if any one has any other questions I'd be more than happy to answer them for you. If you'd like to get in direct contact with me I can be reached at sales@xtreme-doors.com.

Thanks again,

Chris Wesley
Xtreme-Doors
jack_ink

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2007 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jack_inkClick Here to visit jack_ink's HomePageSend a Private Message to jack_inkDirect Link to This Post
SWEET and tanks for saving me the time for development but you better hurry on em as I know of 3 of us developing them as we speak for Fiero ONLY and they bolt straight on...

but yeah heres some encouragement for you... and if they bolt straight on I would take a pair of em fo' sho'
SAFASTRO

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2007 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SAFASTROClick Here to visit SAFASTRO's HomePageSend a Private Message to SAFASTRODirect Link to This Post
Hey Chris......I'm glad to hear you are trying to supply us FieroAddicted people with a viable option for our rides!!!!
As seen on your website, it looks like you carry a very good quality product, and being in CDN funds, I think that will be appealing to many. I don't think you will have a hard time finding a donor for the mock-up in your area!
Take lots of pics, and I hope we get to see a finished product a lot quicker than we are used to being told.
Good luck with the process.....and like I said earlier, if you provide.......they WILL buy!!!

------------------

pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2007 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroDirect Link to This Post
If they are bolt on and work I want a set. I really want an economical suicide door set up that won't bend. These doors are heavy ya know.
Chris Hodson

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2007 06:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
Ive always liked back to the future. If you can make these, all i would need to find now is a flux capacitor.SWEEEEEET!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Chris Hodson (edited 02-07-2007).]

DrCPU

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2007 07:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DrCPUSend a Private Message to DrCPUDirect Link to This Post
Last winter I did the complete chop and swap. This winter I got paint. If you are looking for a car to start I can offer mine up - but would want to hold off until late September. I'm in Mississauga and usually spend my summers out near Cambridge.

If you've got application done by September - then you can count on one more customer.

Ping me if you like.

Dave
PFF
System Bot
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2007 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Chris Hodson:

Ive always liked back to the future. If you can make these, all i would need to find now is a flux capacitor.SWEEEEEET!

Theres no way possible to have gull wing doors with a Fiero, not without completely rebuilding the frame, the windows, and the doors, redesigning from the ground up. Sorry, but I was joking, its absolutely impossible.
AJ7

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2007 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AJ7Send a Private Message to AJ7Direct Link to This Post

Theres no way possible to have gull wing doors with a Fiero, not without completely rebuilding the frame, the windows, and the doors, redesigning from the ground up. Sorry, but I was joking, its absolutely impossible.

nothing is impossible(except for maybe slamming a revolving door ), but... gullwing doors on any car that didnt have them in the first place is alot of fabrication work... and then 4 basic hinges people sell for about $400-500, I'm working on a design that would work in the same way, just not having to chop into the roof, they would just come up like gullwing doors...sort of... lol, best part... no modifying the frame.

[This message has been edited by AJ7 (edited 02-07-2007).]

bluefiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2007 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bluefieroSend a Private Message to bluefieroDirect Link to This Post
I would be interested in a set of lambo doors also if they do in fact turn out to be bolt on.
Racingman24

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2007 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Racingman24Click Here to visit Racingman24's HomePageSend a Private Message to Racingman24Direct Link to This Post

nothing is impossible(except for maybe slamming a revolving door )

That's not true either.... Chuck Norris can slam a revolving door.

Eric

Ok, back on topic....
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2007 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post

nothing is impossible(except for maybe slamming a revolving door ), but... gullwing doors on any car that didnt have them in the first place is alot of fabrication work... and then 4 basic hinges people sell for about $400-500, I'm working on a design that would work in the same way, just not having to chop into the roof, they would just come up like gullwing doors...sort of... lol, best part... no modifying the frame.

This could get lengthy, but...

There is no way you can do it without serious modification.

1: There is virtualy no roof structure to the roof of a fiero. All Fieros have the frame hole for a sunroof, so there is no metal in there. The front surround of the windshield is relatively flimsy, should you try to actualy make something to do this, you would likely deflect it enough to crack the windshield. The Fiero is basicaly a roadster, with a main roll bar in the rear, and no support in front. They would do well in a rollover because of they beefy B pillar located directly above the drivers head, but put any weight near the windshield and you would bend the metal and crush the frame.

2: There is no frame around the window. In a gullwing you need to have signifigant structural material going to the roof, the Fiero has none. Even if you added some, you are talking about supporting an 80lb door that would hang out 3'. You would have to have a hell of a lot of material to take that force, and given that you dont have any room at all to work with, the only option would be to chop into the body and frame, and they you'd need darn near a steel 1x3 to support the weight

3: any material that would be strong enough would need to curve with the car, taking out the straight edges signifigantly decreases its strength

4: The amount of force needed to lift an 80lb door on a 3' basis would be immense. You're talking 240 ft lbs not counting the friction. Since you cannot have a 1' lever sticking out of the top of the car, you're probably looking more at 3000 ft lbs given a reasonable throw. Not to mention putting that much pressure on any part of the roof is just going to tear the metal, and reinforcing it would just leave the roof flexing under the load.

5: Between the top of the headliner and the roof skin, you've got abou 1/2" of space, thats counting the frame. So you would have to build a mechanism 1/2" tall, and that would have to incorporate the strength of the frame.

6: at the edges, the Fiero frame around the sunroof opening is only a few inches wide at best, so any strong force before or after the sunroof is going to result in the body flexing as the door opens

I would bet (and Archie could probably confirm) that there is less than 15 lbs of metal in the roof area of a Fiero, there is no way you could do gull wing doors without completely rebuilding the roof area, severely modifing the door area, lightening the doors, fashioning an unfathomable array of pins bushings lifts and what not to move the door, dropping the head room several inches, not to mention trying to come up with some sort of gasket setup, and probably a dozen other issues Im not even thinking of.

If you're thinking of putting some kind of curved arm in the front where the normal hinges go, the forces on that would be immense as well, and it would have to curve back into the dash support or steering column when closed. The only way that might work would be if you had one in front and one in rear, then you're going to be impaling the driver when the door is closed. Not to mention you are going to need a good bit of under dash room for all the guts of it, room that just isnt there.

[This message has been edited by 86GT3.4DOHC (edited 02-07-2007).]

Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2007 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post
It still bugs me, when people call these door mods, "Lambo Doors". They should be called "Swing out, then lift up doors"...
The Lambo doors, open on the verticle plane only. Straight up, straight down.
That's just my thoughts.

Kevin
fieroluv

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2007 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroluvSend a Private Message to fieroluvDirect Link to This Post
How hard would it be to put Mercedes latches on the fiero to have the vertical up and vertical down doors?

Originally posted by Lambo nut

It still bugs me, when people call these door mods, "Lambo Doors". They should be called "Swing out, then lift up doors"...
The Lambo doors, open on the verticle plane only. Straight up, straight down.
That's just my thoughts.

Kevin
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2007 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

There is no way you can do it without serious modification.

I agree, there is no way you are going to have any kind of bolt on gull wing doors. However, if you cut the entire green house off, the way Archie did on #24, you coul weld on a beefier structure that is designed to do gull wing doors. You would want to have lighter doors with less steel in them perhaps not as safe but doable.

TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2007 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODDirect Link to This Post
I agree with Lambo Nut. Most of the doors I have seen that have the vertical up and down have a frame going all the way around the window and I don`t think the problem is in the latching mechanism, but in the way the window has to seal under the drip edge making it almost impossible for the door to go straight up without swing out a little first,unless you have it where the window has to be let down a little for it to work.
Buffaloman57

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2007 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Buffaloman57Send a Private Message to Buffaloman57Direct Link to This Post
I would take a set of hinges if they are bolt on.
PFF
System Bot
AJ7

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2007 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJ7Send a Private Message to AJ7Direct Link to This Post
xtreme-doors, you have a pm
fieroluv

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2007 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroluvSend a Private Message to fieroluvDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXGOOD:

the way the window has to seal under the drip edge making it almost impossible for the door to go straight up without swing out a little first,unless you have it where the window has to be let down a little for it to work.

That would be the easy part of the fabrication, all you would need is a switch set up so that when you hit the button to open the door; the window would roll down about two inches. Once the door is closed the window rolls back up. This is how the real lambo's do it on their roadsters to allow the window to get past the roof line.

TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2007 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODDirect Link to This Post
I`m not real familiar with the newer Lamborghinis and that makes sense for the window to automatically roll up or down. I was just thinking of the older Countach where I first saw a verticle raise door, and the Countach had a frame all the way around the window. But of course I don`t think the windows would raise or lower on the Countach.
Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2007 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post

I was just thinking of the older Countach where I first saw a verticle raise door, and the Countach had a frame all the way around the window. But of course I don`t think the windows would raise or lower on the Countach.

Just the lower section of the side windows roll down on the Countach, and then only about 4 inches. But not needed to open or close the door of course.

Now what fieroluv said would be cool. To have the window lower, clear the pillar and roof, and be able to swing straight up. And since the window leans in as far as it does, it would not have to go down very far. Yes, now that would be cool! Then I could call it a "Lambo door".

Kevin

fieroluv

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2007 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroluvSend a Private Message to fieroluvDirect Link to This Post
This link might shed a little light on how its done. There are a few web sites out there that tackle this very thing.

[This message has been edited by fieroluv (edited 02-07-2007).]

Unsafe At Any Speed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 315
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2007 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Unsafe At Any SpeedSend a Private Message to Unsafe At Any SpeedDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroluv:

That would be the easy part of the fabrication, all you would need is a switch set up so that when you hit the button to open the door; the window would roll down about two inches. Once the door is closed the window rolls back up. This is how the real lambo's do it on their roadsters to allow the window to get past the roof line.

That would be cool like that.
For most Fiero's around, I think it would take like 5 seconds to open and close the doors though.
Riceburner98

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2007 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post

I agree with Lambo Nut. Most of the doors I have seen that have the vertical up and down have a frame going all the way around the window and I don`t think the problem is in the latching mechanism, but in the way the window has to seal under the drip edge making it almost impossible for the door to go straight up without swing out a little first,unless you have it where the window has to be let down a little for it to work.

Even if you had no window to worry about, it wouldn't work on a stock Fiero. No matter where you hinge the door, if you try to swing it vertically forward, the bottom rear corner of the door will need to arc through a solid piece of frame metal to go up. That's why they have to pop *out* at an angle, then up. If you look at the shape of the rear of a true vertical door, it's designed with a curve so it can go through its arc without hitting anything. You'd probably also whack the 1/4 window area even if you managed to clear the lower frame of the car. The shape of the front of the door and fender have a lot to do with it too, the real Diablo doors hinge somewhere practically above the tire, so you'd have to completely rework the door, fender area, and lower A pillar to make it happen. The best thing to do would be to make the door either pop *straight* out (ie: keep it parallel with the car, but the whole door pops out 2-3"), then pivot up in a true vertical fashion, keeping the door parallel with the car. (possibly 2 parallel links between the standard "vertical door" hinge and the door... Thought about that myself at one point.) If you're going to go that far, you may as well make the "pop out" mechanism at the bottom front corner of the door, (like an extendable cylinder) then be able to rotate that forward. "Instant" Koneggsegg doors. Or something like that. LOL (image borrowed from eBay auction) Oh yeah - I've wondered this for a long time - what happens if you're retarded enough to somehow flip a Lambo with true vertical doors onto it's roof? (like going off-road into a ditch or something) How do you get out? With "fake" vertical doors you could still pop them open sideways, but what about vertical doors? Would you be stuck? Enqiring minds.....

[This message has been edited by Riceburner98 (edited 02-07-2007).]

Cajun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2007 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunDirect Link to This Post

Chris,

If your offer is indeed legitimate and a product is produced that people are please, satisfied with then I apologize for my comments. I for one would be very interested in acquiring a set of the bolt-on Lambo Door system.

Question, why the difference in swing angle between the welded model (105 degree) and the bolt-on units at 90 degreee?
Thanks,
Mike
Xtreme-Doors

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2007 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Xtreme-DoorsClick Here to visit Xtreme-Doors's HomePageSend a Private Message to Xtreme-DoorsDirect Link to This Post
The reason for the different swing angles, is because our 90° Bolt-On units utilize a more compact hinge setup, which only allows it to go 90°. However by the time we get this tested on a Fiero, we will have our new hinge released that will indeed allow our bolt-on setups to go 105° as well. So we are actually not offering 90° Bolt-On's but rather 105° Bolt-On systems, and again these are completely adjustable so you can set the door to open to any height.

Also the reason the "Lambo Door" conversions must open horizontally first, is due to the fact that on most cars they have to open horizontally enough so that the inner door panel clears the A-pillar before going vertical. As well for times when going vertical isn't necessary they can be operated as a normal door.

Thanks again,

Chris Wesley
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 14 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock