Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  #\ *doublec4* /# Official Build Thread (Page 18)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 22 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
#\ *doublec4* /# Official Build Thread by doublec4
Started on: 02-26-2009 06:22 PM
Replies: 863 (69683 views)
Last post by: doublec4 on 12-31-2020 04:32 PM
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2012 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PBJ:

Hey if you want a HID bulb/projetor lens as well as the high beam bulb and lens out of a 2006 SRX lmk. I have them at work and are free if it helps. Will we see you at the Moose on Sunday?

Pete

pm sent! Thanks Pete
IP: Logged
Doober

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2012 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DooberSend a Private Message to DooberEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just finished reading through the thread... definitely one of my Favorites I've come across so far on the site!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2012 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doober:

I just finished reading through the thread... definitely one of my Favorites I've come across so far on the site!

Thanks! Flattering compliment.

I'm also one step closer to these headlights now:

Lenses have been trimmed.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2012 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a vacuum forming machine built, got some lenses pulled from it and they look good.

I chopped up the extra hood I have today... but I didn't get to take the Fiero out. Turned into one cold rainy day!

Here are some pictures of the trimmed lenses in the headlight holes. They fit really well! You'll have to imagine the lights and buckets underneath until I get a chance to make/mount those. Keep in mind the lenses are just taped in place right now so some of the edges may not be sitting flush with the hood.

This week I'll make more progress on the buckets underneath.
Amida

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2012 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2012 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Amida, hope to have them done soon.

Today I got the car out again for the 2012 season! Pretty excited about it

Also picked up a stock sub box the other day with an aftermarket speaker. Also came with an aftermarket amp. Wired them up today and installed it:

The sub box is covered in black suede, it looks pretty good in there. The sound is better than it was before too. Just a little more bass but not deafening.
Eau_Rouge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2012 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Eau_RougeSend a Private Message to Eau_RougeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good. Did you manage to get it in without pulling the dash?
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2012 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Eau_Rouge:

Looks good. Did you manage to get it in without pulling the dash?

Yes I did!

In other news, I've been majorly slacking with this build thread.

I have "completed" my dual bixenon projector headlight project. They should be up for sale soon!

Check this thread for the full build:

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/087489.html

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2012 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 06-09-2012).]

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2012 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some night pictures:

Just to reiterate, this is with only a single pair of projectors on, 35W bulbs, and 8000K temp bulbs (6000K are the brightest). These were all shot with low beam only!

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 07-01-2012).]

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2012 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

doublec4

8289 posts
Member since Jun 2003
Got my harnesses in from ebay. Hooked them up and its really easy to get all 4 headlights on at the same time:

Its hard to see the separate lights in the pictures, but in person you can easily identify that 4 lights are on. You can also see that the cut off is sharp against the wall.

Tonight I'll see if I can snap more pictures while driving. I can't wait to see how 4 lights function! Should be super bright!

I don't think they'll ever be a need for high beams with this set up, but the lights do have the high beam function for those who want to go from BRIGHT to the power of a thousand suns, lol...
PFF
System Bot
Rugger

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2012 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RuggerClick Here to visit Rugger's HomePageSend a Private Message to RuggerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great build thread! Thoroughly enjoyed the read! And the result is impressive!!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2012 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you!

Haven't added anything to this thread in a while... so..

New option on the headlights I build Can do a variety of colors!

wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2012 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
can those rings be used as turn signals ?or are they just reflectors?
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2012 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wftb:

can those rings be used as turn signals ?or are they just reflectors?

They're LEDs, they can be wired into your turn signals if you like!

However, when the projectors are on, they would not be highly visible.
jaybeezi

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2012 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybeeziSend a Private Message to jaybeeziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks awesome, has anyone tried painting the lenses the color of the car yet?

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2012 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaybeezi:

Looks awesome, has anyone tried painting the lenses the color of the car yet?

Thanks for the photoshop! Nicely done.

I haven't seen anyone paint them body color yet, however, Vendetta just bought a set of spare lenses and he plans on painting them body color. He or I can post pictures when they're complete
IVANNATINKLE

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2012 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
as usual man your car looks better and better every time i see it!
Carswell...Wellscar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2013 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carswell...WellscarSend a Private Message to Carswell...WellscarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Chris! Any update! Hope the winter is treating you well bud!!
Cheers

Matt
Amida

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2013 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2013 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Amida:

Looks good.

Thanks! Nice compliment coming from someone who does great work.
PFF
System Bot
eunospeed

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2013 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for eunospeedSend a Private Message to eunospeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Assuming the heavy mech for the factory headlights can be removed? Seems to me the weight savings is a bonus to an already cool upgrade!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2013 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by eunospeed:

Assuming the heavy mech for the factory headlights can be removed? Seems to me the weight savings is a bonus to an already cool upgrade!

Yes, all of the stock headlight gear is removed. No more motors, brackets, etc. I never did weigh the stock assembly. My lights aren't exactly featherweight either, but there should be some weight loss over stock. Thanks!
mptighe

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2013 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Curious, do we know how long the lenses will stay clear without clouding or yellowing? WHat do you recommend to keep this from happening, and will you sell replacement lenses cheaper for people if they need them?
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2013 02:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mptighe:

Curious, do we know how long the lenses will stay clear without clouding or yellowing? WHat do you recommend to keep this from happening, and will you sell replacement lenses cheaper for people if they need them?

I think that will depend a lot on the conditions that the lenses are exposed to. I am using a brand name and apparently "UV resistant" PETG plastic to make the lenses, so they should hold up to weathering quite well. Unfortunately, I do not have a R&D department behind me that can estimate exactly how long they will last out in the sun. I do currently sell replacement lenses if people need them. I have been offering them for $60 a pair which is pretty cheap in my opinion considering the time it takes to make them. Thanks for the question!

85sliverGT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2013 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you have a junk one maybe it would be beneficial to leave it outside, on your roof or somewhere with lots of direct sunlight. Just to see what happens.

The lights are awesome, your car is awesome. I'm exited to see what you come up with this year
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2013 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85sliverGT:

If you have a junk one maybe it would be beneficial to leave it outside, on your roof or somewhere with lots of direct sunlight. Just to see what happens.

The lights are awesome, your car is awesome. I'm exited to see what you come up with this year

Thanks, I'll definitely give that a try. I have a few spares with defects that will make good test pieces sitting outside.

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2013 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since the lights in my car were prototypes, I'm putting together another kit for myself that better represents the newest REV2 version of these lights.

Just got the buckets and brackets powder coated by a member on here, OneQuickGT, and they look awesome! I would definitely recommend powder coating the buckets and brackets for the best results and a durable coating.

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2013 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Updates are few and far between, but I try and make them worth it!

LED tail lights for the notchback with strobe function activated by remote for the parking lights:

They look tinted with the lights off:

Strobing video:

They will be for sale on the forum here with my headlight kits, as well as on my website

------------------

Check out my build and my website!
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000100.html
Embrace Racing

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2013 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

doublec4

8289 posts
Member since Jun 2003
Also, I designed some brackets to put C5 Corvette front calipers on the front of my Fiero. I will be switching my Lebaron fronts to the rear and installing a proportioning valve. I've done a few calculations and I may not need to adjust the bias but we'll see with some testing.

This is what the bracket will look like:

Here is one of them cut. I also cut the stand offs (not pictured). I'm considering having them welded to the main bracket but I would have to take it somewhere for that (6061 aluminum)

This is my CNC machine cutting them:

If I had to do it again, I wouldn't machine them on my machine. It's actually a CNC Router not a mill. For one offs it worked well though.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2013 06:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Clutch bleeding made easy:

PFF
System Bot
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2013 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got my Corvette front brake brackets blasted and then TIG welded. Tomorrow I'm going to paint them and then hopefully get them on the car this weekend!

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2013 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

doublec4

8289 posts
Member since Jun 2003
Painted my aluminum brackets... aluminum.

Just wanted to seal them up and prevent any possible corrosion. Plus its shinier aluminum. Who doesn't like shiny things.

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2013 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Brakes fit great so far:

Just have to grind off some of the front of the caliper to clear my wheels. The shape of my spokes is causing the issue, not the actual inner diameter of the wheel. Maybe it's time for some new wheels soon

Calipers after grinding (obviously going to repaint before final install)

Making progress
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2013 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a foreword to this post. If you're thinking about doing this brake swap, every application is different. Some may be very straightforward, and with others you may need to get creative. I really like my wheels (which are causing the fitment issues with the brakes) so I'm coming up with a few work arounds (ie. caliper grinding, the following adapters)....

So I took an adequate amount of material off the caliper but I just wasn't comfortable with only being able to slide a business card between the caliper and wheel. I've seen plenty of cars come that way from the factory, but I'd rather not chance it.

Ended up buying a pair of 5mm wheel spacers. Since I previously did the Lebaron swap, I have longer wheel studs up front anyways.

The problem I ran into was that with the thick rotors + the wheel spacers, my wheel rings no longer contacted the center bore of the hub. The outer diameter is too large to fit inside of the spacer, and even if it could, it would still not sit inside the wheel properly (too recessed). I still wanted to have the wheel nice and centered while I torqued the lugs down so I had to come up with another adapter ring that my wheel rings could snap onto.

In the following pictures you can see the wheel spacer (black), the wheel centering ring (red) and the adapter I designed. Think of the adapter as an extension of the center bore on the hub. It has a recess on the inside that snaps onto the center bore. Looking at it now, it will actually serve two purposes. It will center my wheel and the spacer. Another 3D printed part to the rescue!

------------------

Check out my build and my website!
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000100.html
Embrace Racing

RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2013 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanx for the video, and nice job on the brakes.

Bob
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2013 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:

Thanx for the video, and nice job on the brakes.

Bob

Thank you Bob!

Painted the new calipers today. They look nice in red, and I have to say that I did a really nice job with the angle grinder. With paint on there, you can't even tell material was taken off.

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2013 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The ironic thing is that after reading your posts, I bought some salvage yard wheels to get the car rolling. They hit my calipers, like yours. I'm running a 13" rotor, using LS Camaro calipers.

I will be getting spacers to get it rolling again.

Bob
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2013 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:

The ironic thing is that after reading your posts, I bought some salvage yard wheels to get the car rolling. They hit my calipers, like yours. I'm running a 13" rotor, using LS Camaro calipers.

I will be getting spacers to get it rolling again.

Bob

Spacers are definitely quick and easy. Grinding the calipers can work depending on how much contact there is.

Do you have an 88 or 84-87?
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2013 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's an 84, with 88 front suspension. As it turns out, my calipers need to be tucked in closer to the hub. I'll have to remake my brackets and add about an 1/8" spacer to the wheel hub.

Bob
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 22 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock