Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  #\ *doublec4* /# Official Build Thread (Page 11)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 22 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
#\ *doublec4* /# Official Build Thread by doublec4
Started on: 02-26-2009 06:22 PM
Replies: 863 (69724 views)
Last post by: doublec4 on 12-31-2020 04:32 PM
kk86 2m6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2010 02:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kk86 2m6Send a Private Message to kk86 2m6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
do you have any idea how much you spent on the 3800sc and manual trans swap?
id really like to do the same thing because i also have a 3 spd auto and would much rather have a manual. the black interior looks really good im seriously considering tearing mine apart to do that.
IP: Logged
ConvictedRedneck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2010 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First I really went through your build thread, looks great! I was actually looking at getting that exact steering wheel, how do you like it? Do you have a link to the hub adapter you used? Also lovin' the sparcos!
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2010 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the compliments guys

kk86 2m6, I'll send you a pm to answer your questions about $$ spent.

ConvictedRedneck, I love the steering wheel. The suede feels great, much more grip on the wheel. The flat bottom gives my legs a bit of extra room which is always nice. I used the NRG short hub as well.

http://www.raceinspired.com...short-hub-dodge.aspx

Thats the link to one. The dodge hub works on the fiero. Take a look around ebay or local buy and sells, you could luck out like I did. I got mine for 50 bucks rather than 100. One thing to note is that this hub is so short that when installing my NRG steering wheel, the horn button was contacting the splined steering shaft. I had to take apart the horn button and come up with my own creative solution.

... and I also love the sparco seats I don't have to use my knee up against the door anymore through the turns

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 07-17-2010).]

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2010 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

doublec4

8289 posts
Member since Jun 2003
I started to repaint the calipers today, and the wheel wells. Also drew up a design for a little addition to the calipers.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2010 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finished off the calipers today, removed the stickers from them too. Cleaned off the inside of the rims.

I also painted all of the inner fender liners, looks pretty new again.

Removed the front "winglets" from the front bumper. They were okay for a while, but I don't like them anymore. Instead, I bought some splash guards and actually placed them in front of the the front wheels. I'm running 225 series tires up front with a 38mm offset rim so they stick out a bit. I've seen these "reverse mudflaps" on some other sports cars. I figured I'd give it a shot, they look pretty good and shield the edge of the tire from air that would create drag on them. Basically they just look cool.

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2010 01:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Took the car out tonight for some fun... I don't know if I'm imagining things, but after installing those "reverse mudflaps" I've noticed a significant decrease in front end vibration at speeds above 100km/h. Maybe they're actually helping a bit?
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2010 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This might be the last update for a little while because I'm running out of things to do to the car for the time being.

I need some feedback and ideas!

The list of things that will be worked on are as follows:

Rear Diffuser
LED tail lights
Brake caliper "addition"
Ported blower / Ported LIM / bigger throttle body / redo part of the exhaust

Maybe I'll make a new video to post as well..
Isolde

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2010 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

Took the car out tonight for some fun... I don't know if I'm imagining things, but after installing those "reverse mudflaps" I've noticed a significant decrease in front end vibration at speeds above 100km/h. Maybe they're actually helping a bit?

Your reverse mudflaps being in front of the front tires? If so, what you've done is not too far removed from a very old NASCAR trick called a "Gurney lip", and it was done to increase front downforce.
I suggest you research this, then mold the flaps if necessary, try to actually end up with real Gurney lips, not just vaguely similar results.

[This message has been edited by Isolde (edited 07-29-2010).]

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Isolde:

Your reverse mudflaps being in front of the front tires? If so, what you've done is not too far removed from a very old NASCAR trick called a "Gurney lip", and it was done to increase front downforce.
I suggest you research this, then mold the flaps if necessary, try to actually end up with real Gurney lips, not just vaguely similar results.

Come to think of it, I have heard of gurney lips before. I know I've seen and looked into gurney flaps (at the back edge of a spoiler).

I would like to have something shaped for the front bumper, but I would first need to learn some fiberglass skills. I've never 'glassed before. I might try something similar for the rear wheels as well. Thanks Isolde
Isolde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
glad to. I hope you find some further success with the lips. I'll be watching.
Isolde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Isolde

2504 posts
Member since May 2008
I had a thought. Why would it have to be fiberglasss? Why couldn't we create a radius, if necessary, using A-B epoxy?
PFF
System Bot
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Isolde:

I had a thought. Why would it have to be fiberglasss? Why couldn't we create a radius, if necessary, using A-B epoxy?

Are you referring to just a regular two part epoxy?
Isolde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Are you referring to just a regular two part epoxy?

Yeah. So not a good idea, huh? Oh well. I had no idea that Gurney lips could be felt at just 62 mph, or I would have tried them years ago.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2010 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure if a two part epoxy would work... but I know they sell a fiberglass "paste" that could be easier to work with. It has the fiberglass strands already mixed in.

I feel the difference with the gurney flaps above 60mph... probably closer to 75 mph where before I would get a strange vibration in the front end. This probably also has to do with my tires protruding outside of the front bumper. If you had wheels with a greater offset or thinner tires, you might not need the flaps because the leading edge of the tire is already covered.

Either way, you could give it a try with some universal mud flaps. Cost me 15 bucks. If it looked goofy or didn't work, I wouldn't be out that much money, and I could always just use the mudflaps for what they were intended for on another car.

Isolde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2010 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know about Canada, but in my state, there's speed limits as high as 80 mph, so of course everyone does 85 mph. I tried it when I first got my stock '84 Fiero, and the nose went light above 70. By '85, it was spooky. I haven't driven it above 70 mph since then, but I have started on an airdam, and a hood vent.
I think the Gurney lips were supposed to help even when the front tires didn't protrude. I'm not finding very many pics, and none of them are helpful so far.
If you find more details on that fiberglass paste, I'd be very interested. Thanks.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2010 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Speed limit around here is 60mph...but everyone does around 70 - 75 mph... where I find the difference is made. Check out another member's thread about 3/4 of the way down this page.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...1/HTML/077670-5.html

You can see the fiberglass paste he's using.
Isolde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2010 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you!
Dougie Murder

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2010 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dougie MurderSend a Private Message to Dougie MurderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I need some feedback and ideas!

I think you should come get that extra hood i have and cut an extractor scoop in it!! Or, I could bring it to you if you have any extra parts i need and wanna do a trade....

MSN me if your interested.

Also, have you thought about doing something to your license plate?
I got the hide away plate holder from davies corvettes (corvetteparts.com), Its pretty awesome...kinda pricey i guess tho.
http://www.corvetteparts.co...tails/gid/003636.htm

EDIT: i just realized your car might be too low for that plate holder....

[This message has been edited by Dougie Murder (edited 08-04-2010).]

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2010 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dougie Murder:

I think you should come get that extra hood i have and cut an extractor scoop in it!! Or, I could bring it to you if you have any extra parts i need and wanna do a trade....

MSN me if your interested.

Also, have you thought about doing something to your license plate?
I got the hide away plate holder from davies corvettes (corvetteparts.com), Its pretty awesome...kinda pricey i guess tho.
http://www.corvetteparts.co...tails/gid/003636.htm

EDIT: i just realized your car might be too low for that plate holder....

I'll take the hood off your hands! Thanks!

You can come by anytime you like and take your pick at the stuff I have here.

I thought about the license plate flip thing, but you're right, my car is too low for it.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2010 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

doublec4

8289 posts
Member since Jun 2003
Oh and today I replaced my ignition lock cylinder... the key and cylinder decided it no longer wished to turn. 25 bucks and a little time with some tools, I'm good to go again!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2010 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dougie delivered the hood today... now I just need to decide what kind of extractor I want to go with

I'm leaning towards this:

But might go with something simpler:

Ignore the exact placement of the vents, I know I'll have to work with a specific space with the placement of the radiator and front "trunk wall"

Which one do you guys think?
PFF
System Bot
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2010 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the 2nd one, more simple, 1st one is too busy IMHO.
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2010 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just FYI, I think that if you start that far forward, you'll find that the opening is in on top of the radiator, or slightly too far forward. This may not matter for what you're doing, but it will limit the depth of the extractor there..

If you start an inch or two further back you can cut down just behind the radiator.

chrismclubm

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2010 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chrismclubmSend a Private Message to chrismclubmEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
doublec4 u should consider putting round fog lights (1 1/2 inch diameter) on the chin you added. I've seen it done and it looks sweet. The only thing is you got to dig /carve into the chin, but totally worth it.

------------------

For Fiero Articles, Magazines, and Prototype Photos, visit: http://www.gt.ppdictionary.com
mtownfiero

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2010 02:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mtownfieroSend a Private Message to mtownfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
for functionality your going to want the vents back by the top of the headlight doors. i put mine a little far forward when doing mine, still functional but not as good as they could be.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2010 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will be moving the scoops back a bit, the photoshops were just to get a general idea of the type of scoops I'll be doing. I don't think I'll be putting foglights in the front chin spoiler... I don't want the front end to get too busy looking.

I'm going to start cutting the hood either today or tomorrow. The car needs an oil change first!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2010 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Started marking off the openings and bought some dremel cutting disks for the job.. hopefully they work well!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2010 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

doublec4

8289 posts
Member since Jun 2003
Let the cutting begin!

I'm going to need to cut up the bottom structure to fit vents this long and wide in the hood.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2010 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
More progress with the hood... got the openings cut all the way through..

Tomorrow I'll start chopping into the bottom structure so I can bend the outer plastic down.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2010 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bottom is chopped up:

Took out a lot of the support structure... I'll have to reinforce it with some fiberglass.

Now you can see the scoops taking shape better:

JesseM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2010 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JesseMSend a Private Message to JesseMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is looking great so far! Keep it up.
PFF
System Bot
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2010 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JesseM:

It is looking great so far! Keep it up.

Thanks

The hood project has just been put on hold until next season... however...

A carbon fiber rear diffuser will be the finishing touch for this season

It's from Shine Aero products and its friggin sweet. It weighs pretty much nothing and fits pretty nicely. I may or may not have to trim the rear of it, but we'll see. This will cover up the unsightly exhaust, and extend right to the rear of the subframe. I still need to bolt those "fins" on, they're just sitting there, but I love the business look of this thing. I've been waiting a long time to do this! I think Blacktree is the only other guy who has a tunnel style rear diffuser on his fiero!

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2010 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

A carbon fiber rear diffuser will be the finishing touch for this season

It's from Shine Aero products and its friggin sweet. It weighs pretty much nothing and fits pretty nicely. I may or may not have to trim the rear of it, but we'll see. This will cover up the unsightly exhaust, and extend right to the rear of the subframe. I still need to bolt those "fins" on, they're just sitting there, but I love the business look of this thing. I've been waiting a long time to do this! I think Blacktree is the only other guy who has a tunnel style rear diffuser on his fiero!

Very, Very nice. That is a lot nicer than what I could do for you without a vacuum unit. It looks very nice with the thinner fins.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2010 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Very, Very nice. That is a lot nicer than what I could do for you without a vacuum unit. It looks very nice with the thinner fins.

Thanks Adam. I'll take some pictures when I install it (a day or two). I have to figure out how I'm going to mount this thing. Might take a trip over to the home depot racing department lol.
Fiero2m8

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2010 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hood mod is going to look great and yes that's a great winter project...
I'll be watchin the diffuser mod since I can't visualize how it's going to look

------------------

Indy Northstar-Stretch ~ LT1-NOS Roadster

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2010 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got the rear diffuser installed today!

I took some pictures of the installation.. first we have my work bench... the ground.. very comfortable:

Then I bolted up the fins to the diffuser tunnel... pretty easy, just drill some holes:

Next up, I decided that mounting it would be easiest with some flat stock aluminum. Its easy to drill, and light weight. My mounting locations are the rear cradle and the underside of the bumper. Get your measuring tape and measure out some dimensions for where to drill:

Here you can see my mounting points on the rear bumper. Ignore the old two sided tape residue from the old fins. I have to clean it:

Then mount the aluminum flat stock to the diffuser:

Mount up the front side, support the rear, and mark off the mounting points on the rear:

Then I removed everything to drill the mounting points in the rear. I also took some sheet metal and made a heat shield (muffler is close by) / deflector for air so that air doesnt hit the leading edge and go over the diffuser. I also had to trim about 3 inches off the back of the diffuser.

Reinstall and enjoy!

I still need to wash the car (remove the old two sided tape residue) and take some pictures from a distance. It was a rainy day and really dark out, a lot of pictures were turning out like crap.

Hope you guys like it! I do

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 08-23-2010).]

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2010 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Talk about a perfect fit. My biggest concern when we discussed it was the exhaust cutouts interfering with the diffuser. That one fits perfectly and is just the right size. Hell, I may have to buy one for myself

Edit to add....if you are concerned about the heat from the exhaust, you can always buy a few feet of the really thick fiberglass structural material on Ebay and just glue it on. That way no heat will make it through to the diffuser.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 08-23-2010).]

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2010 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It was pretty close to perfect for the fit. I did have to trim about 3 inches off the rear. I could have left it on, but I didn't want the diffuser to extend too far.. I have a small oil leak from my oil pressure sending unit fitting, I didn't want the oil to puddle on the diffuser. I figured cutting it at the rear cross member of the subframe would be a good location.

Hopefully the sheet metal does a good job of deflecting some of the heat or even absorbing it a bit from the muffler. I don't want this thing to go up in flames! (knock on wood)

I test fitted a few other diffusers before I bought this one, but this seemed to fit the best with the least amount of cutting. If you're looking for one, try googling Shine diffusers.
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2010 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't really like notchies, but this is without a doubt- my favorite one.. You've done an amazing job with the car.
JesseM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2010 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JesseMSend a Private Message to JesseMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am very excited for you! The diffuser looks really good on that thing. I love the wrap around spoiler as well, it all flows well IMO. Let us know how the ride is affected now.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 22 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock