Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  #\ *doublec4* /# Official Build Thread (Page 16)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 22 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
#\ *doublec4* /# Official Build Thread by doublec4
Started on: 02-26-2009 06:22 PM
Replies: 863 (69879 views)
Last post by: doublec4 on 12-31-2020 04:32 PM
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah at the time I figured it wouldn't back off because the ball joint technically is held in by the spindle like an interference fit. But they both worked their way out and the passenger side was doing the same. If it happens again in the future, I'd probably just take the ball joint back and return it. Tell them its junk.
IP: Logged
PF Flyer

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2011 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PF FlyerSend a Private Message to PF FlyerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
glad the car was mostly okay, something similar happened to me on the highway a few months back, one of the torx caliper pins was slowly loosening and one day i tapped the brakes and my front left calper snapped off and locked up my wheel. how fast were you going when it happened?

ps

i think you should invest in a camber correction kit
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2011 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah every once in a while its good to do a quick inspection, make sure everything is tight. I was at a car show yesterday and one of the guys pointed out that one of the bolts mating my tranny to the engine was loose. I didn't even notice until he pointed it out. Sometimes things rattle loose!

I was only creeping along when that happened. Luckily it was in a driveway so there was no other damage done. The inner fender was sitting on top of the wheel and supported the car just fine.
Luke

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2011 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LukeClick Here to visit Luke's HomePageSend a Private Message to LukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
eeek glad it happened at low speed

I installed new lowers on my 88 and wasnt happy with how the castle nut sat, guess that will be part of my regular inspection of the car from now on.

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2011 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just moved to a different city for a new job so pretty much all progress with anything/everything is on hold.

I'll be adding another car to the collection in the next few weeks. A nice little winter car... honda civic hatchback with b18c swap I'm thinking
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2011 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got my honda civic but no b18c. Just the d16 which I'm going to go vtec with.

Anyways, heres the real update!

This little red fiero is going TURBO. I bought some parts from mptighe on the forum and I'll start collecting until I have everything needed. I'll be running a water to air intercooler and I need to do my homework on what size turbo I will run. Should be a fun experience and a wild ride. Wish me luck!
Reallybig

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2011 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good Luck!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2011 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks!

In other news... an old headlight project is being revived. Let there be light!
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2011 02:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent
PBJ

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2011 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

Got my honda civic but no b18c. Just the d16 which I'm going to go vtec with.

This little red fiero is going TURBO.

Uh oh, that is going to make that honda feel even slower Nice to see yous cruising are streets.

Pete

------------------

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2011 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Honda already does feel slow!

When I saw your car in person the other day, I just knew I had to go turbo. Thanks a lot This might cost me a few bucks :P
PFF
System Bot
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2011 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't want to count my chickens before they hatch, but I'm pretty sure I just scored a garrett turbo and tial wastegate. Should have it on tuesday

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2011 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here are some of the parts I've recently aquired:

More on the way!
1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2011 01:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

More on the way!

Seriously a fan of this thread. Timeframe on turbo installation? Tuned by Spring?

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2011 05:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not certain at this point. I really doubt that it will be ready by spring. I'm back to living in a different city than where my car is being stored, so I don't have access to it regularily.

Being realistic, it probably won't be ready and tuned until next fall.
Eau_Rouge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2011 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Eau_RougeSend a Private Message to Eau_RougeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you're interested in a brand new, never used F40 6 speed, I have one. If you're interested for your project, let me know. I'm also in Oakville.

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2011 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Eau_Rouge:

If you're interested in a brand new, never used F40 6 speed, I have one. If you're interested for your project, let me know. I'm also in Oakville.

Not sure how I feel about the F40... seems like an expensive and fairly high effort transmission swap. I think I'll do the F23 5spd some day instead if this tranny breaks.
PBJ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2011 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Give me a call and we can hook up for a drive so you can get a feel for what you are building...insane. Absolutely different then the s/c version.

Pete

------------------

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2011 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PBJ:

Give me a call and we can hook up for a drive so you can get a feel for what you are building...insane. Absolutely different then the s/c version.

Pete

Thanks Pete, shoot me a pm with your number and I'll give you a call this weekend or soon. I'd love to do that!

I wouldn't mind taking a look at a few things on your turbo set up as well. There are a few odds and ends I'm not sure about.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2011 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

doublec4

8289 posts
Member since Jun 2003
Just a few more pictures since everyone loves pictures. I'm waiting on these goodies to show up:

And I took apart my Tial 38mm wastegate and sent in the serial number to Tial. They confirmed that it is infact real and not a chinese paperweight:

Trying to find a quality blow off valve for sale now. Always on the hunt for deals!

ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2011 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2011 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the heads up. I may have secured an authentic HKS super sequential on a local buy and sell.

On another note, I went for a ride in a 3800 turbo today. Thanks Pete! It was FAST.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2011 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LS6 valve springs on the way
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2011 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2011 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:

Looks like you'll need http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+...s/555/80760/10002/-1

Interesting! I've never seen one of those. Thanks!
thismanyfieros

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2011 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
dump the blocked off SC and grab a 3800 intake..it will look way sharper..i too am on the way with a turbo build..cept not in my 86sc car..scored a dirt cheap 84se with a toasted motor..now its just find and buy time for the parts..good luck...tim
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2011 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yea I agree with the above, it is more work and money involved, but running boost though an open supercharger housing is really restrictive compared to a normal N/A intake, and yes it does look much better IMHO, even with the plastic L36 intake.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2011 02:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know somebody with an L32 intake that I can buy. I'm considering it, just trying to do this on a budget right now too. I have a lot more parts coming my way, I really want to gather them all up and make one big post!
Tinkrr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2011 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TinkrrSend a Private Message to TinkrrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:

Looks like you'll need http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+...s/555/80760/10002/-1

I have a fin comb just like the one pictured from jegs, bought mine at Princess Auto

[This message has been edited by Tinkrr (edited 10-29-2011).]

JSzpotek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2011 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JSzpotekSend a Private Message to JSzpotekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why not just simply jump to the L26 Aluminum intake? As well what turbo did you end up buying!?

Originally posted by mattwa:

Yea I agree with the above, it is more work and money involved, but running boost though an open supercharger housing is really restrictive compared to a normal N/A intake, and yes it does look much better IMHO, even with the plastic L36 intake.

------------------

JSzpotek's 3800NA Series III L26 White 87 Fiero GT

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2011 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Tinkrr, thats much more convenient than Jegs.

I might use a L32 intake manifold, they look nice in there and would probably be more efficient than the blocked off M90 but only time will tell!

I went with a Garrett T3/T04E 60 trim. The same one as on this website:

http://www.spoolinperforman...3to4e-trim-p-32.html

Its the .63 A/R turbine option. Got it used with the Tial wastegate which I had confirmed is authentic from the people at Tial.

I also recently received my DHP powertuner in the mail. Had it working this weekend and was able to get a copy of the bin file from my PCM. So it successfully works! Unfortunately I forgot to take pictures, maybe next week when I'm back home again.

This arrived today though

I found someone with a black faceplate and silver bezel for it to match the rest of my gauges! Should have that in a few weeks. I'm waiting on more parts in the mail for now.

PFF
System Bot
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2011 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i have an AEM boost controller that i could not get to work as advertised .it made a nice boost gauge but not much else .some one with your back ground could figure it out so if you want it , its yours .send me a PM with your new address .and you are only 90 miles away from me now , we go to london a lot for shopping .you will love having a turbo .
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2011 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow thats a generous offer! I'll shoot you a pm and I'd be glad to take it! If you need some parts or something I can help out with, let me know!
JSzpotek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2011 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JSzpotekSend a Private Message to JSzpotekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice! Any reasons for not going with a larger turbo? Didnt want to have to wait for it to spool up or?

I went with a Garrett T3/T04E 60 trim. The same one as on this website:

http://www.spoolinperforman...3to4e-trim-p-32.html

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2011 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was told that even a larger turbo wouldn't really produce much lag.

However, I went with that one because I found a good price on one used, and it met my power goals. I'm not looking to reverse the direction of rotation of the earth! Just want a little more power and a new project!
blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2011 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hey dc4...

I was in the wayback machine earlier today... browsing a thread from 2004... saw this...
man... "you've come a long way, baby"

remember when...

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2011 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thats a throwback!

I remember sporting that signature back then, good find! Brings back memories of when I first bought the car and how slow it was :P Never would have thought I'd be doing a turbo 3800 down the road
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2011 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sort of a re-post, but now I have these parts in my possession!

Turbowerks oil scavenge pump:

Flojet pump for water to air intercooler:

Water to air intercooler:

Heat Exchanger:

Another turbo... this one needs a rebuild. Its a turbonetics, I have to find the specs on it, but I think its a T72? Pretty big... I won't be using it right away. Probably just keep it on reserve if I want another option or something..

M90 case with blockoff plate..

Not sure if I'm going to use that or go with an L36 plenum.. We'll see!

(Also, those pumps are bigger than they look. Thats clearly not a real can of pepsi they're sitting on... its a giant cooler shaped like a pepsi can, lol)

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 11-11-2011).]

justinchristie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2011 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for justinchristieClick Here to visit justinchristie's HomePageSend a Private Message to justinchristieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There was some guy with an entire 3800 turbo setup from a buick grand national on kijiji a month or so back, it was in Ontario, but i think it was up near London. I did a quick search but couldn't see it anymore. it was cheap too, like $500 or so for EVERYTHING (engine included)

If I knew you were switching from SC to turbo back then I would have sent it to you.
1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2011 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

(Also, those pumps are bigger than they look. Thats clearly not a real can of pepsi they're sitting on... its a giant cooler shaped like a pepsi can, lol)

Nice! I've never seen anyone else with one of those. My dad has one, and people always thought it was a garbage can since it says "Don't Litter" and "Please Recycle" on it. I recognized it right away from the first picture. lol
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 22 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock