Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  #\ *doublec4* /# Official Build Thread (Page 8)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 22 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
#\ *doublec4* /# Official Build Thread by doublec4
Started on: 02-26-2009 06:22 PM
Replies: 863 (69714 views)
Last post by: doublec4 on 12-31-2020 04:32 PM
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2010 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks

I do have a vision / plan for the car in my head. Overall, by the end of it I hope that it has respectable performace, and the styling to match. I want it to look race-like, no chrome or really flashy stuff.

I'm trying to stick to the red and flat black theme
IP: Logged
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2010 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Picked up the ZZP A/C delete pulley today:

No more squeeling compressor clutch.

Now if I could only sell my ZZP 3.5 modular pulley... then I could get myself those LED front accents from TLG... they're on the wish list..

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 02-21-2010).]

drkmojo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2010 04:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drkmojoSend a Private Message to drkmojoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Car looks great. Great build thread. I really need to start taking pics and put up a build thread myself before I forget everything myself.

I really like your diffuser and will more than likely steal the idea for mine. Very nice rims. I've also been looking at the Enkei OR52 and Drag DR-25 rims. I'll now be adding the Enkei RPF1 to my list and finally decide when I see them all in person.

I've also decided to go with 225/45 ZR17 Front and 255/40/ZR17 on the Rear. This would give speedo difference of +.5% which means 59.7 mph speedo = 60 mph actual. If I go with the 245/40 ZR17s the difference would be +1.6% or 59 mph speedo = 60 mph actual.
Amida

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2010 05:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How do you like the new wheels?

Originally posted by doublec4:

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2010 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by drkmojo:

Car looks great. Great build thread. I really need to start taking pics and put up a build thread myself before I forget everything myself.

I really like your diffuser and will more than likely steal the idea for mine. Very nice rims. I've also been looking at the Enkei OR52 and Drag DR-25 rims. I'll now be adding the Enkei RPF1 to my list and finally decide when I see them all in person.

I've also decided to go with 225/45 ZR17 Front and 255/40/ZR17 on the Rear. This would give speedo difference of +.5% which means 59.7 mph speedo = 60 mph actual. If I go with the 245/40 ZR17s the difference would be +1.6% or 59 mph speedo = 60 mph actual.

Thanks for the compliments

With that tire size in the rear you *may* need coil overs, depending on offset of the wheel. Might want to look into it just in case.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2010 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

doublec4

8289 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Originally posted by Amida:

How do you like the new wheels?

I love the way they look, but unfortunately I don't know how they feel yet with the new rubber. I'm back at school away from my car again until the end of April. Even for the pictures all I could do is mount one wheel.

The weather around here is getting a lot nicer again, we're averaging temps above 0! Spring is in the air and I'm itching to get back to my car and work on it!
chrismclubm

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2010 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chrismclubmSend a Private Message to chrismclubmEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great Project!

------------------

For Fiero updates, visit: http://educatorstop15.com/fieropage.htm
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2010 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2010 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Latest news is that I won a PFF award! I guess some people were nominating cars in the off topic section and I happened to win gold for the notchbacks!

First I'd like to thank God, and my family for all of their support.... alright alright I'll save you guys the speech.

Thanks to those of you who voted though!
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2010 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats, dude.
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2010 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Latest news is that I won a PFF award! I guess some people were nominating cars in the off topic section and I happened to win gold for the notchbacks!

First I'd like to thank God, and my family for all of their support.... alright alright I'll save you guys the speech.

Thanks to those of you who voted though!

When I saw the voting start, I thought of your notchie first - then the VR6 that Dave built.
PFF
System Bot
JCUOIT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2010 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JCUOITSend a Private Message to JCUOITEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
whens it back on the road?
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2010 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys

It should be back on the road at the end of april after my exams.

The weather is so nice out right now I can't stand not driving it!!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2010 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a little side track, I know I haven't updated in a while.

Here's what 500 RWHP looks like:

It's my father's corvette. Got to drive it and it hauls...

And here's what I've been up to lately

Basically a mock up of the main components of a car. It was for a school project designing a steering system. Got a little carried away with modelling the rest.
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2010 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Just a little side track, I know I haven't updated in a while.

Here's what 500 RWHP looks like:

Is that a factory supercharger?...know of anyone installing that type in a Fiero?
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2010 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not a factory item.

It's a Vortech charger. He bought it as a whole kit from A&A, comes with everything needed and pretty much bolts on and needs to be tuned obviously. Amazing results for a bolt on kit.

I don't think it would fit a fiero though, at least not the plumbing that comes with the kit. The charger *may* fit in the engine bay though. Comes with upgraded fuel system as well, intercooler, etc. The kit runs around $5500. While he was at it he had the clutch upgraded, bought a pfadt diff brace, and had breathless performance headers/x pipe installed. 503 rwp. I can post the dyno if you'd like, the damn hp curve never stops climbing.

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 04-10-2010).]

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2010 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It looks like a more compact/liteweight unit than the roots type.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2010 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would say that it is lighter and more compact. No need to buy a new hood or modify it for increased height
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2010 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

doublec4

8289 posts
Member since Jun 2003
Just purchased aluminum cradle bushings.

Should have them pretty soon

I can't wait to get this suspension together!!!!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2010 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Aluminum cradle bushings just came in... *I think* this is the last of the parts! Sometimes I just get carried away. I buy one upgrade, and then think, "while I'm at it, I might as well do this too..." and then it snow balls.

I'll be home in 4 days! Then the work begins!

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 04-26-2010).]

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2010 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Put the new rims on today! I'll let the pictures speak for themselves!

I also put some two piece rotors on my father's vette! They look great, but one of them squeels. Not so happy about that right now.

Wheels have to come off again tomorrow on both cars. Hopefully a productive day!

PFF
System Bot
kyunderdawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2010 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kyunderdawgSend a Private Message to kyunderdawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lookin' great!! They turned out really good.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2010 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, more to come soon! The front suspension is currently in pieces.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2010 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

doublec4

8289 posts
Member since Jun 2003
So the front suspension is under way. What a pain.

A bolt or two... or four, always have to break. All of the center bushing bolts for the sway bar snapped off in the frame. Awesome.

Front lower control arm front bolts are stuck. Going to have to cut those. I'm frustrated.

So here's the list of whats being done to the front.

Inner tie rods
Outer tie rods
Upper and Lower Ball Joints.
Addco front sway bar
Poly Bushings

Here's whats already been done

Eibach lowering springs cut one half coil
11.25" brake swap

Wish me luck with getting this stuff apart!

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 05-03-2010).]

Newbfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2010 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NewbfieroSend a Private Message to NewbfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Love what you did whit the wheels and the whole fiero of yours for that matter Hope the parts goes easier for you to put them back in

Rob

[This message has been edited by Newbfiero (edited 05-03-2010).]

Fiero_Adam

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2010 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_AdamSend a Private Message to Fiero_AdamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice job. The wheels look great.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2010 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the compliments guys. I won the war on the lower control arms today. Lost against the broken off bolts in the frame for the front sway bar. This crap never gets easier. Try again tomorrow.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2010 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lower control arm out, and in the process of replacing the parts. Tomorrow I will press the new bushings in, and get the old ones out, same with the lower ball joints.

ClayTonto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2010 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ClayTontoSend a Private Message to ClayTontoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The wheels rock. The car looks tough in a "no frills" kind of way. I think that's why it's one of my favorites.

Good luck with the front suspension. Mine took some serious patience, but it will work out.

BTW,
The Vette brake squeal may be because of the anti-rust coating they put on two-piece rotors. My Wilwood discs squealed like crazy until I wore off the anti-rust coat.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2010 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the compliments Clay, I'm sure you enjoy your wheels as well. They look great on fieros!

The suspension is testing my patience. Just a lot of stuff thats stuck or broken off that gets on my nerves.

As for the vette brakes, the rotor was contacting the stock caliper bracket. I had to space the baer bracket inward so that the rotor had proper clearance. It was strange it was only necessary on the passenger side and not the driver side as well.

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2010 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
More progress today.

Got the rubber bushings burnt/drilled out. Installed the new poly in the upper arms. Also installed the ball joints in the upper arms and used my new upper control arm bolts to install the upper arms.

At least something went back in without a fight.

Also painted up the rotor "hats" so that they will match the black wheels.

Tomorrow maybe I'll paint the springs silver to match my rear coil over springs, as well as get the lower ball joints pressed in. Get the poly in the lower arms too and pick up the new hardware for the arms. I thought they would come in today, but no such luck. Until tomorrow...
PFF
System Bot
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2010 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Big job. Broken bolts not very fun.
AkursedX

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2010 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work man! I love the Enkei wheels. I like the red and black theme too. You will love the handling difference after the new suspension bits. The aluminum cradle bushings will really help firm up the rear-end.

------------------
'88 GT- 3800 Turbo 11.367@121.03mph
gmtuners.com -Build info

unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2010 03:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nice shot

Slowly but surely... IT'S WORTH IT. I PROMISE

------------------

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2010 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the encouragement everyone.

Today I got most of the front suspension back together. Painted the springs silver to match the new rear ones. Got the lower control arms in with the new ball joints and poly. Only thing left to do on the front is get the sway bar in. I think I'll leave that for a local shop to do. The bolts are being impossible and at this point I'd rather let someone else deal with it. I'll get some pictures tomorrow of the whole thing.

Tomorrow the rear disassembly begins. I'm praying for better luck than the front! Especially with those cradle bushings.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2010 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On my Fiero, the rear suspension went a lot easier than the front. Actually, it took about half the time. Hopefully, yours will be the same.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2010 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Blacktree. I just started to take some of the rear apart today and so far so good. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

This is how the front tuned out:

Minus the front sway bar of course.

Also was able to snap a better shot of the home made front mount battery box I made a couple years ago:

And lastly, the new challenge:

It will be getting the same poly treatment as the front, DIY coil overs, aluminum cradle bushings, new inner/outter tie rods, new lower ball joints, and fierostore sway bar. Wish me luck!
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post05-12-2010 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah DoubleC4, the results will be totally worth it. It really will solidify the driving experience, and suprise a few folks on the twisties as you leave them staring at your tailights.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2010 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Tony, I took some more parts off today and I wonder how this thing ever drove straight. My rear inner tie rods were worn to sh*t. The new ones from Rodney are much, much better.

So here's what I got done today,

removed the rear inner/outer tie rods and replaced them
got the springs seperated from the struts
got the lower control arm off that was seized up. Replaced the lower ball joints, and got the new poly in.
removed the A/C compressor and replaced it with the ZZP A/C delete pulley

I did also find two suprises I wasn't expecting. First, my exhaust on the rear bank has more than a hole in it. The pipe is actually broken right off. That would explain my loud exhaust. Second, my sleeves don't fit over the strut body for the coil overs. I'm pretty pissed off about both of these things but I'll figure something out. This thing is definitely a money pit.

Tomorrow I want to get my side scoops on while everything is out of the way, and get the aluminum cradle bushings in. Good luck wishes are in order again

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2010 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another fun filled fiero day.

Got the aluminum cradle bushings installed as I hoped. It was a ton of fun (sarcasm). I'm tired of working on the ground all of the time. I really wish I had a hoist.
The front bushings didnt want to give up the ghost. They fought right until the end but eventually came out. Then of course lining the cradle back up was fun. Didn't just swing back into place as I had hoped. I had to pry it forward to get it to line up.

Then came the rear bushings. They came out a lot easier, but didn't go back in quite as easy. Again, lining things up was a b*tch. I was laying on the ground kicking the cradle with two feet at once trying to get it to move over so the holes would line up for the bolts. Eventually got them after abusing the fiero. Not cool.

Here they are

These things better make a huge difference for all of that trouble.

Also managed to put the coil overs together. I had to take them to the machine shop to get the sleeves bored out because they wouldn't fit over the strut body. But alas, they are together and ready to bolt back in the car.

QA1 12" 350# springs
5" sleeves
HELD upper spring locater
KYB struts

Despite the productive day, there was, of course, a minor set back. My dog bone mount broke. Its still hanging on by one side, but the other side needs a weld now. *sigh*

Tomorrow I'm putting everything back together and hopefully getting around to the scoops as well.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 22 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock