Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  #\ *doublec4* /# Official Build Thread (Page 7)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 22 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
#\ *doublec4* /# Official Build Thread by doublec4
Started on: 02-26-2009 06:22 PM
Replies: 863 (69725 views)
Last post by: doublec4 on 12-31-2020 04:32 PM
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2009 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just for good measure... the 235 on top, and the 225 on the bottom:

And the 235 alone:

Hopefully I will have these mounted to the rims in a couple weeks !

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 12-07-2009).]

IP: Logged
IVANNATINKLE

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2009 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump for updates!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2009 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, no updates lately! I've been very occupied with exams, studying hard. After exams the updates will begin again
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2010 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for the lack of updates!

I've been occupied with the holidays and all of that.

The car still sleeps for now:

I'm currently in the process of ordering springs to complete the coil over set up, as well as ball joints and tie rod ends for the suspension rebuild. I hope I don't need new rear wheel bearings, they get expensive around here.

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2010 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No progress on the coil springs yet.... I hate when people don't return calls.

I did manage to find exactly what I needed for the upcoming new steering wheel

Looks like a nice product and should place the steering wheel away from me a little bit again. I was never happy with how my current aftermarket wheel sits so close because of the adapter. My girlfriend says she wants to buy me this steering wheel for my birthday! It's really nice... with a touch of suede

Only problem is that my birthday isn't until June! So don't expect to see that beautiful wheel on my car for a little while

I hope my next update is about the new springs, suspension pieces, or the tires mounted to my wheels!

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 01-03-2010).]

joshua riedl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2010 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.k2motor.com/steeringwheel1.html This may be worth checking out.
daniel87fierogt

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2010 06:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
doublec4, I have been looking for a steering wheel adapter just like that one from NRG. I looked but i couldnt find one made for the fiero from NRG. Would you mind telling me how you got that one. Thanks Daniel
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2010 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys,

Daniel, I got the hub from a local buy and sell, but they're all over ebay as well. PFF member Randye posted the part number in another thread, it was for a dodge. Part number is SRK-170H I believe.
daniel87fierogt

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2010 02:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you so much doublec4 for the part number. I will have to get mine ordered as well. A + to you. Thanks Daniel
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2010 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No problem Dan, hope you find what you're looking for
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2010 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another update,

I just ordered some new balljoints and tie rod ends for the upcoming suspension rebuild. They should be here in a couple days.

Tomorrow I'm going to place an order on Rodney Dickmans rear inner tie rods. I might as well do it all at once!
PFF
System Bot
BtotheB

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2010 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BtotheBClick Here to visit BtotheB's HomePageSend a Private Message to BtotheBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice, I like what you're doing to yours.

We're going to be keeping Rodney busy, I just placed an order with him for a complete suspension rebuild on my '87. Hopefully this year I'll be able to make it to some cruises and gatherings!

Brad
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2010 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks

Hope to see you and the car out at a few cruises this summer for sure!

Not a whole lot new to report here, just waiting on the suspension parts so I can add to this pile:

Also a quick pic of some of the new tools from Christmas to help make the suspension job go smoothly come spring:

I really hope the next post I make is to say my wheel I sent in has been repaired and its back in my possession!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2010 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No word on the wheel getting repaired yet...

however... some suspension parts found their way to my house

The stockpile grows yet again! I really can't wait to get everything on the car and feel the difference!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2010 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just placed an order with Rodney Dickman for some rear inner tie rod ends

Other than a few odds and ends, I have covered most of the suspension rebuild parts! I can't wait
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2010 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good news! My rim is fixed and I should have it back soon! Now I can get the tires mounted and balanced and they'll be ready to go in the spring as well
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2010 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The last of my orders are made... I think!

Just waiting on Rodney's rear inner tie rod ends to show up, fierostore upper control arm bolts and washers, hub centric rings for my rims, and lastly I saw a good deal on these little guys:

which I think will work well with my front splitter/undertray that I am going to build when I get home... I can't wait for everything to show up and start working on this thing again!

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 01-27-2010).]

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2010 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

A new switch cover came in the mail today courtesy of bristowb, thanks man!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2010 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney's greasable rear inner tie rods came in the mail!

Everything is almost here...
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2010 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

doublec4

8289 posts
Member since Jun 2003
Fierostore front upper control arm bolts!

They have to be the most expensive bolts I've ever bought, even with a discount, wow..
BtotheB

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2010 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BtotheBClick Here to visit BtotheB's HomePageSend a Private Message to BtotheBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You got a discount at least. I bought the two UCA bolts as well as four LCA bolts last month. $96 including shipping and brokerage with UPS. For 6 bolts. Yeah... I won't be ordering anything from the Fiero Store again anytime soon unless I absolutely have to.
PFF
System Bot
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2010 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yup it was 60 bucks for the two bolts after brokerage fees, shipping.

I wouldn't discourage people from using the fierostore, they have good products and they're great people for keeping our cars on the road! It's Fedex and UPS that are the expensive ones!
Amida

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2010 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

The last of my orders are made... I think!

Just waiting on Rodney's rear inner tie rod ends to show up, fierostore upper control arm bolts and washers, hub centric rings for my rims, and lastly I saw a good deal on these little guys:

which I think will work well with my front splitter/undertray that I am going to build when I get home... I can't wait for everything to show up and start working on this thing again!

What are you making your splitter out of?
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2010 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Amida:

What are you making your splitter out of?

It depends on what route I decide to go.

Last year I made a front splitter template out of plywood and just bolted it to the underside of my front lip to see how it would hold up for a few days of driving. I ran into the problem of the front being way too low for city driving. The long fiero nose + an additional 1-2 inches of front splitter sticking out pretty much hits every driveway out there. The plywood got scraped up but it did survive.

Right now I'm thinking of just making a front under tray out of furniture grade birchwood I think it is? People say that its rigid and light weight for the cost. I plan on painting it black and since it just sits under the front nose, I don't care what it looks like. You won't see it because it will not stick out like a splitter.

However, if I do choose to run a proper front splitter, I might look into alumilite (spelling?) It's not exactly cheap either, but I believe it should be less expensive than carbon fiber... and I WILL secure it to the frame, not the front lip. However, this option is unlikely because of the risk of having it damaged frequently.

If I was handy with carbon fiber I would like to make something like these:

They don't stick out the front (which means no scraping) and they would bolt to the side of my front lip which means they do not hang any lower than the front lip.

So all of that being said, the most likely combination will be the wood undertray that is not visible, and I will have those winglets that I bought coming out of the sides of the front bumper, closest to the front tires.

What do you think?

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 01-30-2010).]

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2010 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the splitter doesn't extend ahead of the nose then is it just an under tray? Maybe you could buy some lightweight prefab honeycomb panels.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2010 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Amida:

If the splitter doesn't extend ahead of the nose then is it just an under tray? Maybe you could buy some lightweight prefab honeycomb panels.

Thats my understanding of it. I think an undertray would be a functional addition to the car. Hmmm honeycomb panels? I don't think I've ever seen those, I'll have to google it!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2010 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hubcentric rings came in!

A nice red anodized colour too

Thank you discount tire direct !

ClayTonto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2010 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ClayTontoSend a Private Message to ClayTontoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

A nice red anodized colour too

Those looked pink to me. I didn't even use mine with the RPF1s, so I hope DTD gave you a deal.

Edit

BTW, I like your splitter idea. Mine has a fiberglass "Airdam" across the bottom in front of the radiator. It's basically a flat panel with a foil at the rear to redirect the air upwards, but it does wonders for downforce and stability. (So long as you have some body rake)

[This message has been edited by ClayTonto (edited 02-03-2010).]

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2010 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ClayTonto:

Those looked pink to me. I didn't even use mine with the RPF1s, so I hope DTD gave you a deal.

Edit

BTW, I like your splitter idea. Mine has a fiberglass "Airdam" across the bottom in front of the radiator. It's basically a flat panel with a foil at the rear to redirect the air upwards, but it does wonders for downforce and stability. (So long as you have some body rake)

I think they just look pink because of the flash, lol. Any reason why you didn't end up using yours?

Do you have any pictures of your fiberglass air dam? I'd be interested in seeing the shape of the foil to redirect the air.

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 02-03-2010).]

ClayTonto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2010 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ClayTontoSend a Private Message to ClayTontoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 5x100 to 5x4.5 1" adapters have the hubcentric circles built in, so I didn't need the pink ones.
I never took any pics of the airdam, but I will try to do that this weekend. Norm (normsfiberglass) made it and it attaches with rivets.
Though, I suppose it could be made out of just about any flat rigid material and attached with rivets or bolts and washers. Treated wood covered in LineX or ABS would be a cheaper method. If your chin spoiler has a lip on the bottom it would be easier to make for your car. Mine had to be made in two pieces. because of the one piece tilt front clip.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2010 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ClayTonto:

My 5x100 to 5x4.5 1" adapters have the hubcentric circles built in, so I didn't need the pink ones.
I never took any pics of the airdam, but I will try to do that this weekend. Norm (normsfiberglass) made it and it attaches with rivets.
Though, I suppose it could be made out of just about any flat rigid material and attached with rivets or bolts and washers. Treated wood covered in LineX or ABS would be a cheaper method. If your chin spoiler has a lip on the bottom it would be easier to make for your car. Mine had to be made in two pieces. because of the one piece tilt front clip.

Awesome, when you get the pics be sure to post them in your thread, I'll come take a look! I always try and stay up to date with the build threads in here.

My front chin spoiler does have a small lip that runs along the inside, and that is where I had planned on attaching the under tray.
PFF
System Bot
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2010 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yup it was 60 bucks for the two bolts after brokerage fees, shipping.

I wouldn't discourage people from using the fierostore, they have good products and they're great people for keeping our cars on the road! It's Fedex and UPS that are the expensive ones!

This why I only buy from the US in large quantaties, when I bought my bolts I also bought all new polly suspension, rear KYB struts, rear tie rods plus a hole bunch more stuff. Dan
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2010 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FIEROFLYER:

This why I only buy from the US in large quantaties, when I bought my bolts I also bought all new polly suspension, rear KYB struts, rear tie rods plus a hole bunch more stuff. Dan

I would have preferred to do that, however it was the only thing I needed from the fierostore. Might even be a good idea to purchase things as a local group and then split the brokerage fees according to the value of purchases.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2010 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alright, finally an update that I've been wanting to do for a while now!

I just had the tires mounted to the new wheels! They didn't go on without a fight though. Apparently the shop said they had to use a TON of lube.

I wanted to test fit the wheel that I applied the red lip to. You can see the new wheels vs the old ones here, and you can see the much, much better tires I will be using. This time around, I went with a 235 in the rear, 225 up front, and the rear overall tire height is slightly larger. The old rims were 16 inch, the new ones are 17's.

The tires and wheels and wheel wells need to be cleaned up. I'm going to rebuild the suspension and while I'm at it, repaint the brakes. The center portion of the rotors will now be painted black, and I still need center caps for these wheels.

I couldn't get any better pictures from a distance, my dad's car is in the way. He's having some work done to it soon too... (HRE wheels, vortech charger, 14 inch brakes... he's shooting for 500whp in his C5 vette)

Tomorrow I'm going to go pick up the QA1 springs I ordered for my coil overs

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 02-17-2010).]

ClayTonto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2010 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ClayTontoSend a Private Message to ClayTontoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very sweet wheels. After seeing yours, I may later paint mine black.

BTW, we got several inches of snow last time I was home. I will get those pics next time I'm off.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2010 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Clay,

no problem, it won't be for another 2 months before I'm home again with the car anyways. Back to school.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2010 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Springs came in a day late, but I got them! QA1 springs 350# 2.5 inch I.D. and 12 inch length

Here are the parts sitting together for the upcoming DIY coil overs! I was able to put it together for 125 bucks CDN minus the struts (using the KYB's I already have).

I'm running out of stuff to pick up for the car now!

Up next, some LED treatment from TLG
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2010 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice N shiny.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2010 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yup and it just so happens the colours match the theme of my car nicely
Fiero_Adam

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2010 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_AdamSend a Private Message to Fiero_AdamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice. I like when people put some thought into the overall look of the car, instead of just throwing parts onto it. It's looking really good. Now get some shots of the car out of the garage.

------------------

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 22 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock