Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  #\ *doublec4* /# Official Build Thread (Page 20)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 22 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
#\ *doublec4* /# Official Build Thread by doublec4
Started on: 02-26-2009 06:22 PM
Replies: 863 (69716 views)
Last post by: doublec4 on 12-31-2020 04:32 PM
Amida

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2014 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like it.
IP: Logged
IVANNATINKLE

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2014 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

Thought about it many, many times. I just need a car to use to mock things up with. I'm sure I could come up with something!

I wish you were closer I'd let you use mine I'm not going to be needing it for about 6/9 months. **** , again great work

kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2014 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man, those are some slick ideas. I like it I'll have to talk with you about some lights for my project after it gets underway.

Have you done any work with reverse lights yet? Maybe I missed it, I didn't check all the pages.
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2014 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys,

The reverse lights are eliminated with these tail lights. However, they can be relocated to the rear bumper as many have done before. There is another forum member that sells LED reverse lights that replace the reflectors in the rear bumper. I may have my own solution in a few months time as well.

LED GT tail lights will be shown soon too
Matthew_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2014 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matthew_FieroSend a Private Message to Matthew_FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Chris, you car sucks!

Haha joking! Looking good so far!
IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2014 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump updates?
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2014 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not too many updates for my car. I finished the LED tail lights a while back and I've been enjoying those:

I also finished the GT LED tail lights and have sold a few of them:

And I'm resurrecting the drop spindle project:

I have a few other things in mind that I'm working on, but I will reveal them as I go along

Thanks for checking back!

------------------

Check out my build and my website!
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000100.html
Embrace Racing

ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2014 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
are your drop spindles being designed for "bolt on" application, or with brake upgrades in mind?
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2014 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ericjon262:

are your drop spindles being designed for "bolt on" application, or with brake upgrades in mind?

Spindles will be bolt on, however, since the stock calipers will bolt on, so will adapters that will allow you to upgrade to better brakes

In other news...

I will be releasing another product shortly...

There are quite a few hood vent options for the Fiero, however, most of them require a lot of body work and repaint etc. This can get pretty costly and time consuming so I wanted to come up with a solution with the following requirements:

- Can be installed in an afternoon (fairly easily)
- Entire installation and product cost less than $200
- Looks aggressive but appropriate for the Fiero
- Functional
- Spare tire compartment remains sealed and unmodified.

I ended up making these custom aluminum vents that flow with the lines of the hood, and fit nicely in the front section to relieve pressure build up at high speeds.

They are made entirely from aluminum and then powdercoated black.

You will need to simply cut two holes in your hood, drill the mounting holes, and rivet the vent into place. In this case I used normal aluminum rivets, but you can also find black rivets to make them blend in. The vents actually somewhat match the vents at the back of the car and really do a nice job of letting the pressure out at high speeds.

I will try and get more pictures tomorrow. It gets dark around here pretty early now that it's winter.

They will be for sale shortly on my website. Feel free to post any questions you might have!
------------------

Embrace Racing
falcon_ca

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2014 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for falcon_caSend a Private Message to falcon_caEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice job as usual.

If you ever think about making this grill for commercial purpose let me know.

------------------
"I'm not driving too fast, . . . I'm just flying too low."

Work done 07-08 | Work done 08-09 | Work done 09-10 | Work done 10-11 | Work done 11-12 | Work done 12-13 |Work done 13-14 | 4.9 Swap |Parts for sale

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2014 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by falcon_ca:

Very nice job as usual.

If you ever think about making this grill for commercial purpose let me know.

Thanks! Pm sent
PFF
System Bot
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2014 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
can you weld fasteners to the underside of the grill so they are concealed?
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2014 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

can you weld fasteners to the underside of the grill so they are concealed?

They would have to be aluminum fasteners. Also, the radius of the weld around the stud would have to be tightly controlled so that you could counter-sink the holes in the hood. Otherwise the vent will not sit flush with the hood because the weld would interfere.

It could be done but I don't think it would be ideal for this situation. I understand that exposed fasteners are not for everyone, however, I do feel that it gives it that more of that race look. You can always paint the heads of the fasteners, get black ones, or even get your fasteners anodized if you're using aluminum rivets. It would help hide them.
falcon_ca

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2014 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for falcon_caSend a Private Message to falcon_caEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you think it could be installed with 3M double sided tape ? If it il well done it is pretty reliable an avoid any piercing.

The cowl induction scoop on my hood is installed with 3M tape. I used their "promoter".

------------------
"I'm not driving too fast, . . . I'm just flying too low."

Work done 07-08 | Work done 08-09 | Work done 09-10 | Work done 10-11 | Work done 11-12 | Work done 12-13 |Work done 13-14 | 4.9 Swap |Parts for sale

[This message has been edited by falcon_ca (edited 11-16-2014).]

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2014 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well you would still have to cut the holes or else the vent won't sit in the hood. The louvers sit below the mounting flange, but you could use the double sided tape under the flange I guess. It would just stick up too much in my opinion.
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2014 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
if you produce them, I would be interested in one, raw aluminum no holes drilled depending on price.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2014 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks ericjon, I will be producing them shortly!

Just a few more pictures for the records:

As you can see, it looks pretty good from the underside in my opinion. It also sits nice and flat to the hood, no lifting edges.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2015 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lately I've been playing around with my 3D printer...

I really like the look of the four point LED DRL on many of the new Porsche's so I decided to draw some inspiration from their design. I'm thinking of replacing my outer projectors with these DRL projectors I've made. I would need to smooth out the print and then paint them silver / chrome to match my inner projector shrouds.

Still a concept at the moment but I should have them completed by spring / summer

------------------

Embrace Racing

Tusch

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2015 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TuschSend a Private Message to TuschEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you aren't tight dimensionally, have you looked into using a acetone vapor bath? I've seen some good smooth results. This is assuming you are printing with abs
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2015 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tusch:

If you aren't tight dimensionally, have you looked into using a acetone vapor bath? I've seen some good smooth results. This is assuming you are printing with abs

That's exactly what I'll be doing. I've printed these in ABS for that reason
firstclassfiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2015 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firstclassfieroSend a Private Message to firstclassfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How hard would it be to mount a vent like that under the hood and have it glued in so the hardware isn't showing? looks cool but would be a little too "industrial" for my vision.
Awesome build by the way. one of my favorite notchies that i have seen.
PFF
System Bot
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2015 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by firstclassfiero:

How hard would it be to mount a vent like that under the hood and have it glued in so the hardware isn't showing? looks cool but would be a little too "industrial" for my vision.
Awesome build by the way. one of my favorite notchies that i have seen.

Anything is possible. The challenge would be mounting it with fasteners underneath that do not penetrate through the top side of the hood.

If you mount it on top and use black rivets they would barely be noticeable. Something to consider. This is what I was going to do initially but could wait for the fasteners to come in. Lack of patience got the better of me, but it turns out I like the aluminum rivets. Looks very business like.
firstclassfiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2015 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firstclassfieroSend a Private Message to firstclassfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lack of patience got the better of me

I know that feeling all to well.i actually found some pictures of a C6 with similar vents and black hardware that did change my perspective. I guess I would just have to see it on a Fiero to be sure.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2015 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not much else new lately. Got the car out of the garage and cleaned it up for this season.

Put some new tires on front + rear and I've been having fun with my 3D printer. Made some wheel center caps (never had any before)

Also, some big news. Purchased my first home and it has a 3 car garage (which is a luxury in the city of Toronto) Next winter I can finally tear the engine out and start my turbo build!
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2015 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congratulations!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2015 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just out and about

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2015 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A little more progress on the programmable LED day time running lights that I was making with my 3D printer.

I finished up the PCBs to run the lights and they work great. Easy to program and it's a nice custom effect on start up.

I'm in the process of moving so I'm trying to keep the projects simple for the time being.

------------------

Embrace Racing

Amida

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2015 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work.

Just out and about

]

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2015 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Amida,

Just tinkering until I move into my new garage

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 05-16-2015).]

Scooter_86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2015 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scooter_86gtSend a Private Message to Scooter_86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those look awesome!

I want to order your flush mount kit from your website. Let me know if your are settled from your move and building them again or if you are still in transition.

Thanks!
FieroJuice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2015 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJuiceSend a Private Message to FieroJuiceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump. Hope the pics change from little red Xs...
PFF
System Bot
FieroFastBackL67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2015 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFastBackL67Send a Private Message to FieroFastBackL67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks Amida,

Just tinkering until I move into my new garage

Super cool I love it!!

[This message has been edited by FieroFastBackL67 (edited 12-26-2015).]

FieroJuice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2015 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJuiceSend a Private Message to FieroJuiceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroJuice:

Bump. Hope the pics change from little red Xs...

They did. Well worth the wait. Congrats on your build & progress. Thanks for sharing it.

Did you ever produce the hood vents? IThey would would probably look cool on my black Formula (besides the functionality).

MJ

------------------
MaskJuice
88 Black Formula

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2015 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

any updates on this? for the time being, I'm interested in purchasing a set.
FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2015 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

any updates on this? for the time being, I'm interested in purchasing a set.

Me as well.
I'm rebuilding a car the needs some...
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2016 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the comments guys. The drop spindle project didn't really go anywhere, and I don't see it going anywhere in the future. Long story short, unless I have the machines to machine these myself, I can't make a profit off of them. I have probably 500lbs of castings here that are a waste. If somebody wants to buy all of them, be my guest. I already reverse engineered the spindles and have proper drawings for them with manufacturing dimensions and tolerances.

So there comes a point in many Fiero owners' lives when they have to drop the engine.... I just moved into a new house and I have more garage space now. I recently built a nice gantry crane and I wanted to put it to use.

Here is the unsuspecting victim:

And then it just happened:

The picture that everyone HAS to get when they drop the cradle:

I'll be building a new exhaust and I have an assortment of other goodies here (roller rockers, N* TB) and the big thing is to get this thing to stop leaking!

------------------

Embrace Racing

Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2016 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Please tell me you aren't using the trunk latch to lift the rear end! It is not designed for the load.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2016 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Neils88:

Please tell me you aren't using the trunk latch to lift the rear end! It is not designed for the load.

Most definitely not.

I drilled two holes into the wall that divides the engine bay / trunk and used two M12 fasteners to bolt a piece of 1/8" wall 2"x2" square tube to that wall. There is a large lifting eye bolted to the square tube. I can get a picture tomorrow.

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 02-07-2016).]

wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2016 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I dont remember exactly , but I think I paid around 700.00 US for my street dreams drop spindles .Don't base your pricing on what you pay for run of the mill drop spindles for high volume cars . These are low volume runs at a premium price and people (like me obviously) are willing to pay what they are worth .With the drop in the CDN dollar you have a 40% premium coming to you from US customers that may make it profitable to do this .The only other drop spindles available for fieros is based on the 88 rear hub and is failure prone from what I have read .Love the stuff you are doing , keep up the great work .
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2016 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 22 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock