Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  #\ *doublec4* /# Official Build Thread (Page 5)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 22 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
#\ *doublec4* /# Official Build Thread by doublec4
Started on: 02-26-2009 06:22 PM
Replies: 863 (69716 views)
Last post by: doublec4 on 12-31-2020 04:32 PM
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2009 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today I put my fiero away for the winter. I'm moving back to school tomorrow. As I was washing it before storing it, I noticed the paint cracking off one of my rims... upon closer inspection, it looks like one of them is %^(&%*'ing cracked. An entire spoke is cracked. Wtf.

Looks like new rims may be on their way sooner than I thought.

If anybody know of 17inch Enkei RPF1's for sale in black, let me know!

I think I like this look:

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 09-16-2009).]

IP: Logged
Amida

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2009 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

Amida, my best guess for the chin spoiler layup is about 3-4 mm thick.

That's what I figured. I probably would not go any thicker than 3/16". If anything I'll just fill it with a foam core if requested.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2009 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
More parts arrived today, and more are expected soon. Going with the suspension rebuild theme, I have some coil over sleeves and collars that I scored on ebay super cheap. It doesn't look like these are the crappy made in china pieces for civics. They are pretty beefy and the threads are really thick as well. Best of all, I got them for 25 bucks free shipping (they are slightly used. Only some very minor scratches on them). They also came with a plastic type of spring locater for the top of the strut it seems, some O rings that I don't know where they go, and the set screws and allen keys.

Take a look:

I also have the metal/poly spring retainers (for the top of the strut mounting plate) on the way from Held motorsports. I just need to find some springs to go with. I can't decide between 325# or 350# for the spring rate... hmm...

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 09-16-2009).]

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2009 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think the stock spring rate is about 250lbs. I heard that 400lbs was a pretty rough ride.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2009 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't think I would venture as high as 400#, I just can't decide between 325# and 350# for my 3800SC 4spd manual set up... hmm, I'm running KYB's so I don't want to put too high of a spring rate either.. if I had Koni's I wouldn't worry too much..
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2009 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't think I would venture as high as 400#, I just can't decide between 325# and 350# for my 3800SC 4spd manual set up... hmm, I'm running KYB's so I don't want to put too high of a spring rate either.. if I had Koni's I wouldn't worry too much..

That is the one problem I had with my coil overs. I am running the KYB struts and the spring perch has a hump in the middle. This does not allow the coil over sleeve to sit flush. I actually had to machine steel rings to create an even surface for the sleeve to sit. Let me know how you end up doing this. I think the rubber rings slide inside the sleeve to help center it on the strut.....I think....
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2009 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

That is the one problem I had with my coil overs. I am running the KYB struts and the spring perch has a hump in the middle. This does not allow the coil over sleeve to sit flush. I actually had to machine steel rings to create an even surface for the sleeve to sit. Let me know how you end up doing this. I think the rubber rings slide inside the sleeve to help center it on the strut.....I think....

Did you grind off the regular perch or are you using short springs, and your threaded sleeve is resting on the original perch still?

I will be grinding off the original perch, and having the sleeve sit at the bottom of the strut. I will be using 12 inch springs.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2009 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Did you grind off the regular perch or are you using short springs, and your threaded sleeve is resting on the original perch still?

I will be grinding off the original perch, and having the sleeve sit at the bottom of the strut. I will be using 12 inch springs.

Oh ok, I am using short springs so I have to leave on some of the original perch.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2009 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds good, let me know how it turns out

I was just messing around in photoshop.... here's how I want it to look next summer with the new rims and my side scoops installed:

kyunderdawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2009 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kyunderdawgSend a Private Message to kyunderdawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They definitely flow with the look of the car.

[This message has been edited by kyunderdawg (edited 09-17-2009).]

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2009 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kyunderdawg:

They definitely flow with the look of the car.

Thanks, now I just have to drop some serious cash on them lol
PFF
System Bot
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2009 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I went ahead and bought the rims. Found what I was looking for pretty cheap actually so I'm happy about it. Now just to find some tires... pics to follow tomorrow
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2009 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got a couple new things to post, I got my upper strut mounts for my DIY coil overs from Held Motorsports:

And finally, I got my new rims, 17 inch Enkei RPF1

They're black with a machined lip, but I plan on getting them painted with a red lip to match the photoshop I did up there ^^

Check it out!

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2009 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are Enkeis supposed to be lighter than other brands? They're about $450 each new at Wheelmax.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2009 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Amida:

Are Enkeis supposed to be lighter than other brands? They're about $450 each new at Wheelmax.

They;re supposed to be around 16 pounds per rim... I got mine used for a HELL of a deal..

I'm going to get the lip painted to look like this:

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 09-30-2009).]

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2009 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is the weight of a stock GT wheel ?
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2009 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not really sure, a long time ago I used to have the old "tech" rims but I have no idea how much even those weigh.
JCUOIT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2009 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCUOITSend a Private Message to JCUOITEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
jgrotzin weighed some for me a while back.

Originally posted by jgrotzin:

Ok, I know I'm late to the party but I weighed the 88 "rear" lace rim which looks nearly identical to the 86-87 lace rims and it was about 17lbs even....

I did weigh an 87 lace rim with a "maypop" on it and it weighed in at 36lbs, so 19 for the tire. Sounds about right. Hopefully this helps.

I might be wrong about the 88 rear and 86-87 lace rims, but just trying to help...

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/097733.html

hope that helps
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2009 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info, considering I moved up to a 17inch rim, I did pretty good for the weight.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2009 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Latest update, I'm on the search for some 225/50/17 series tires for a bargain price. If anybody has anything, let me know please. In other news, I made a new sig..

------------------

Check out my build!
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000100.html

Goldenfoot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2009 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GoldenfootSend a Private Message to GoldenfootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try www. Tireseasy.com. I have purchased 2 sets from them and have no complaints! Good luck on your search!

PFF
System Bot
Bubbajuju

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2009 02:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BubbajujuSend a Private Message to BubbajujuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was totally stoked with www.tirerack.com
Not sure about customs though...

Edit to say: By the way, what a great thread to follow. Thanks for all of the documentation and what a beautiful car you have!

[This message has been edited by Bubbajuju (edited 10-10-2009).]

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2009 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the compliments and suggestions guys

I was able to make it home for the thanksgiving weekend (Canadian) and I was able to bring a rim home for the test fit and some pictures. Unfortunately there are no tires on the rims yet, so you have to use your imagination:

I also ordered some red pre cut vinyl for the rim lip off ebay. I'm not a big fan of this chrome. The vinyl is much cheaper than having the lip painted. I've been quoted 80 bucks PER RIM to just paint the lip. For some people thats not a bad price, but for me its a lot. Student bills really suck, but I guess they're the priority.

I was also able to test fit the diffuser more. I had it sitting in place and snapped some pictures of that as well. If everything comes together, I may have another member on the forum here helping me out with this piece It could turn out realllly nice!

Enjoy!
Samohtneas

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2009 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SamohtneasSend a Private Message to SamohtneasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It just keeps getting better and better every time I see it! I like the new wheels too, but does this mean those old MR7's will be up for sale a bit earlier than spring time? :P

Also liking the diffuser!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2009 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the compliments! The MR7 wheels will be up for sale in the spring, but I think I mentioned previously that one of the spokes is cracked in one of the rims.

I can't wait for more progress ! I'll update soon
Freshj

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2009 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FreshjSend a Private Message to FreshjEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
doublec4, were you by chance in Wixom, Michigan a month or two ago? I could have swore I passed your car leaving work one day. It was a red on black notchie with black wheels, chin spoiler and a IMSA wing, just like yours. Ontario isn't that far away so I figure maybe it was you.

Beautiful car BTW. I hope mine looks half as nice some day .

[This message has been edited by Freshj (edited 10-19-2009).]

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2009 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Freshj:

doublec4, were you by chance in Wixom, Michigan a month or two ago? I could have swore I passed your car leaving work one day. It was a red on black notchie with black wheels, chin spoiler and a IMSA wing, just like yours. Ontario isn't that far away so I figure maybe it was you.

Beautiful car BTW. I hope mine looks half as nice some day .

I was in Michigan a couple months ago, but I didn't bring my car. Must be somebody else out there with similar taste

Thanks for the compliments on the car though!

I've been playing around with photoshop a little more, and came up with a few renderings of possibilities for the diffuser:

Lots of plans, good thing I have all winter to get it all to come together!
InTheLead

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2009 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InTheLeadSend a Private Message to InTheLeadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

They;re supposed to be around 16 pounds per rim... I got mine used for a HELL of a deal..

I'm going to get the lip painted to look like this:

So what looks better? Your Fiero with the rims, or you wearing your fluffy high heals?
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2009 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by InTheLead:

So what looks better? Your Fiero with the rims, or you wearing your fluffy high heals?

hahhahah yep you caught me, I'm a cross dresser! kidding lol, the girlfriend likes to leave her stuff all over my room.
kyunderdawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2009 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kyunderdawgSend a Private Message to kyunderdawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On this pic.....the opening under the lisence plate.....is that going to be an exhaust opening? If so,

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2009 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kyunderdawg:

On this pic.....the opening under the lisence plate.....is that going to be an exhaust opening? If so,

Right now I'm just messing around with ideas, but it won't be an exhaust opening. I think it would be too much work to route the exhaust there, although it would be really cool. Maybe it will just vent heat from the muffler instead.
PFF
System Bot
Samohtneas

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2009 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SamohtneasSend a Private Message to SamohtneasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Still loving this car every step of the way!

Questions about your suspension: Just how small is the gap between your rear wheels and the well? I have lowering springs as well on my car but I have no idea what exact amount my car has been lowered.. did the Eibachs make the rear that close, did you cut them like the front? Or is it just the size of your wheels/tires making it look that way?

Other then that, just wait until you get that poly and sway bars on.. Way too much fun, these cars.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2009 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The rear was lowered with eibach springs but they were not cut. The rear tires and rims aren't a ridiculously big size or anything, I think 225/50/16 if I can recall correctly. I will actually be going to a taller rim/tire combination in the rear with the new wheels. It will give me slightly more ground clearance while eliminating even more wheel well gap. Thanks
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2009 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wheel update:

The red adhesive vinyl lips came in today. Much cheaper alternative to painting the lip in the meantime. Still on the look out for some tires locally!

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2009 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's a couple shots of one of the decals applied. I don't want to put them all on before the tires are installed (shop might mess them up). So I put one of the spares on to see how it would fit and look.

I think they will look pretty good overall once it is complete.
mrjohnishome

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2009 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrjohnishomeSend a Private Message to mrjohnishomeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
where did you get those red vinyl lips at? they look good
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2009 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I purchased them off ebay. Shinegrfx I think was the seller... you can order them in a custom width.
ClayTonto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2009 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ClayTontoSend a Private Message to ClayTontoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good, I love the RPF1s and the diffuser. I am waiting to see how it turns out.
PM Sent
pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2009 03:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
HI all

The Brembo stickers on yur calipers, are they the WCF 12" brembo kit, or stickers?

------------------
Me, I sell engines, the cars are for free, I need something to crate the engines in....
Enzo Ferrari....

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines....
Enzo Ferrari...

Today they are called garage's, yesterday, they were stable's! Eric Jacobsen....

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2009 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys

The brembo is just a decal. When I redo the suspension in the spring, I'm going to replace those with IMSA decals. The brake swap is the 11.25 inch lebaron swap.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 22 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock