Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Haus of Guru: The Ultimate Car Build Off (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 15 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Haus of Guru: The Ultimate Car Build Off by bmwguru
Started on: 01-29-2011 11:02 AM
Replies: 577 (43758 views)
Last post by: Charlie64 on 11-19-2017 09:51 PM
kevin

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IP: Logged
Brimmy

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrimmySend a Private Message to BrimmyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dave,

This is totally awesome that you could dedicate all efforts & time for 5 days to pull this off. We all envy your resources.
Do wish you were on the west coast .
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Job is completed. Here is a quick startup video from my cell phone, so please excuse the crudeness. The only thing left is to put the decklid on and test drive, but both of us are beyond exhausted and the 12 pack at home is calling my name.
The unequal length headers make is rumble like a V8. Note the VW coolant bottle where the battery was. That is our intercooler reservoir that self purges the air and holds a decent amount of G12 coolant.

------------------

www.hausofguru.com

[This message has been edited by bmwguru (edited 02-04-2011).]

mptighe

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Damn Dave, that sounds tough! Good job man, I don't think anyone will ever be able to say anything against your skills.
Finally_Mine_86_GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You guys are awesome! Congrats on hitting your aggressive time line! That thing sounds mean!

Charlie64

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
RIGHTEOUS!!!!!

You guys ROCK!
Will-Martin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Will-MartinClick Here to visit Will-Martin's HomePageSend a Private Message to Will-MartinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Charlie64:

Ace, let's just say he realized he had no alternative.

P.M. Sent - Your car rocks!
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking at your video is that an arc at the throttle body?

Great job!
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What Loyd couldn't/wouldn't do in 3 1/2 years, you did in 5 days! Fantastic job!
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

Looking at your video is that an arc at the throttle body?

Great job!

That is the TB linkage arm moving when rev-ed....
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

That is the TB linkage arm moving when rev-ed....

Good.

Should have known it was something else. Again good job on the install
PFF
System Bot
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will-Martin:

P.M. Sent - Your car rocks!

Thanks Will. Team GURU really came thru! PM sent for your other questions.

Charles
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is awesome! Can I send the Joel project up to you now for a 3800? LOL
RACE

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageSend a Private Message to RACEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work. You did an amazing amount of work in such a short time. Good luck on the test drive.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2011 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So now that phase 1 of this project is complete, we will be starting phase 2 after the 18th of this month. I don't plan to pull that off in a week's time, though. For phase 2, Charles wants new gauges, a dyno run, and I have a few suggestions that I plan to run by him.
I plan to keep updating this thread as we build the car....including more pics and videos in better lighting as well as our initial video of Ryan and I removing the drivetrain in 30 minutes.
Dave
ps...Ryan and I both agreed that this swap would have gone much easier if it had been a stock 2.8 for us to start out with, but thanks to careful planning and both of us being on the same page, we did indeed finish in the five day window. Our initial plan was to have it running by Wednesday and take it easy on Thursday and Friday. The wiring mods took me an additional day and for him, modifying the cradle and front engine mount so the engine wouldn't sit crooked took him an extra day.

[This message has been edited by bmwguru (edited 02-05-2011).]

Macs86GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2011 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dave needs his own TV show. That before pic was horrible how could anyone pass that off as a finished swap.
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2011 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man it sure in impressive to see that car finnally back in the game! You guys really came through on it. My hat off to you! gCan't wait for some nice "clean car" pics today!!!!!

[This message has been edited by johnyrottin (edited 02-05-2011).]

ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2011 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That is most awesome. I hope the rest of it goes well, but I'm sure it will with you guys at the wheel.
Now if only my car could have been completed that fast. (Lots more custom one-off work, no chance. )

Charlie, I bet you're chomping at the bit!

------------------

'88 Fiero GT - Project MIDTRBO
'10 Camaro LT/RS - daily driver
'96 Talon TSi AWD - 11-second winter beater
There's no replacement for turbo placement

NightMare Cruiser

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2011 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NightMare CruiserSend a Private Message to NightMare CruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jealious here!!
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2011 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ALLTRBO:

That is most awesome. I hope the rest of it goes well, but I'm sure it will with you guys at the wheel.
Now if only my car could have been completed that fast. (Lots more custom one-off work, no chance. )

Charlie, I bet you're chomping at the bit!

I've had a grin from ear to ear since seeing the video I'm very interested to hear what else Dave has in mind

[This message has been edited by Charlie64 (edited 02-05-2011).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2011 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmwguru:

Job is completed. Here is a quick startup video from my cell phone, so please excuse the crudeness. The only thing left is to put the decklid on and test drive, but both of us are beyond exhausted and the 12 pack at home is calling my name.
The unequal length headers make is rumble like a V8. Note the VW coolant bottle where the battery was. That is our intercooler reservoir that self purges the air and holds a decent amount of G12 coolant.

Nice man, very nice.

------------------

"Friends don't let their friends drive stock."

PFF
System Bot
JPH87

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2011 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JPH87Send a Private Message to JPH87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very impressive
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2011 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Only one thing missing.................................................................................................where's the finger?
Finally_Mine_86_GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2011 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carnut122:

Only one thing missing.................................................................................................where's the finger?

Yeah! Somehow i feel like we've been jipped.
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2011 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's what's missing....the "Joey" pose!
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2011 05:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll have to get a finger pic posted for you guys. We took the weekend to sleep and came back to a nuthouse at the shop today. I should close my shop up for a week every few months. I have more German car work than we can handle waiting for us.
If the weather clears up, I plan to start putting some "break in" miles on Charlie's car. I have the rev limiter set kind of low for now to prevent killing the new cam. I'll bump it back up after a few hundred miles.
I will post up the details as to what phase II of this build will be. Mostly suspension and brake mods. I plan to try and get Alltrbo's alternator bracket fabricated before then.
Dave
Robert 2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2011 06:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carnut122:

For now till the real one Lol
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2011 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been trying to post up the initial video of the drivetrain removal, but can't seem to edit it small enough. Any ideas? Or is anyone willing to work with it if I mail it to them on a flash drive?
Dave
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2011 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Let me see what I can do.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2011 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have the rev limiter set kind of low for now to prevent killing the new cam. I'll bump it back up after a few hundred miles.

I highly suggest against having any type of rev limiter on the car. Rev limits cut fuel, and re-enable it very quickly on a revlimiter, and even more so with a modded motor. This causes lean conditions and I know from experience what happens after that. Set the rev limiter to 7200 in every car you tune and dont ever change it.

There is nothing that you can do to a hydrolic roller cam that can harm it from the first day it is installed to 200k miles, they come hardened and "broken in" from the factory.
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2011 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've been trying to post up the initial video of the drivetrain removal, but can't seem to edit it small enough. Any ideas? Or is anyone willing to work with it if I mail it to them on a flash drive?
Dave

I can do it. How big is the video in MegaBytes?

You can upload it to me, mail it to me on a flash drive or whatever...
I can upload the entire video to Youtube, as I no longer have a time limit to my videos.
PFF
System Bot
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2011 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Synthesis:

I can do it. How big is the video in MegaBytes?

You can upload it to me, mail it to me on a flash drive or whatever...
I can upload the entire video to Youtube, as I no longer have a time limit to my videos.

I just checked my youtube and I can now upload longer videos.....I'm glad cause I thought I was going to have to host it on a p o r n site...lol

Dave

[This message has been edited by bmwguru (edited 02-08-2011).]

Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2011 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I just checked my youtube and I can now upload longer videos.....I'm glad cause I thought I was going to have to host it on a p o r n site...lol

Dave

Well, if you need help, lemme know.
I believe I can do up to 2 hours now.
JesseM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2011 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JesseMSend a Private Message to JesseMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hope things are settling down there in the shop!
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2011 07:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had the flu for the past week...pushing 103 fever daily...and still at the shop. Hoping to be all better for when Charlie comes up on Monday to test out his ride.
JesseM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2011 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JesseMSend a Private Message to JesseMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry to hear it man. I hope you better soon!
Vernon8360

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2011 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vernon8360Send a Private Message to Vernon8360Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Beautiful work. Really something to be proud of. Take some time for yourself and kick that bug.
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2011 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Works out better that way since I was sick too.
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2011 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What more can you say???

More pictures after my visit with Dave this Monday!!!!

[This message has been edited by Charlie64 (edited 02-19-2011).]

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2011 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I set all my rev limiters to cut the spark and not the fuel, so the engine will not go lean when it cuts in. It is also a smoother cut out than having the fuel cut first. I also am getting very skilled with the hp tuners software.....and spent the extra cash on their tuning school books...which did clear up a few things.
Dave
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 15 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock