Project MIDTRBO by ALLTRBO
Started on: 11-21-2009 09:51 AM
Replies: 348 (29637 views)
Last post by: Will on 02-03-2015 03:48 PM
ALLTRBO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2009 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here we go...
Project MIDTRBO is well underway, initially I wanted to wait until more details were set before posting my build thread, but mostly my work and health issues have gotten in the way since I've been ready to. Well right now is a good time (for bad reasons). I'm going to start by leading up to where it is now in several segments, then I'll continue on with the current progress as it happens.

As some of you may remember, I bought my '88 GT from RandomTask without a drivetrain in Oct. 2007, and with the intention of some various swap. Unfortunately I was defrauded into believing that it had 22k original miles, but it turns out that it has 122k original miles. Long story short (details belong in, and are in, that thread), I reached a settlement with RandomTask after figuring this out and received a lot of my money back, and decided to go on with the project. While 22k still would have had its benefits, 122k isn't a project killer when I'm going so far into it anyway. Of course this all left a bitter taste in my mouth, but that just prompted me to go even further in making it "my own".

I bought it in some various state of project-ness, as it was intended to have a different swap. Most notably, much of the suspension was rebuilt and powdercoated.
-I'm going to say it now to avoid wrong impressions... I don't care for red, it won't be anywhere close to red when it gets painted, so don't get any ideas-

As it was when I picked it up (though I didn't get the chin spoiler and don't want one)...

[This message has been edited by ALLTRBO (edited 11-26-2009).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2009 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some of the parts that were powdercoated...

The rear cradle was also powdercoated, but I later found out that this cradle was from a 170k mile car, not the original. The front cradle was powdercoated as well (as far as I'm aware, it is the original).

These parts were very loosely assembled on the car (I even lost a couple sway bar link parts on the trip home). Here it is in its new home, and how it sat for longer than I like to recall (about a year).

ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2009 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ALLTRBO

2023 posts
Member since Mar 2006
So here we are. Hmm, what to do with it now. I would have LOVED to stretch it and install longitudinally my IROC-Z's twin-turbo 350 with a Porsche tranny, but that was a bit too much to handle for the time being, though entirely doable.
One thing was for certain, it was going to remain a manual, as it had come from the factory. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I had an automatic Fiero. Most likely it was going to stay a Getrag, as all other options require too much time and work for now.

3500 swap? It was at the top of the list for a while. 3400 swap with a turbo and 5-speed? It's a well documented combo in the FWD world, and makes good power for the ~minor boost levels stock 3400 pistons and compression allow. L67 swap? Not a chance. It's not my style. Heavy, crappy sounding, and full of Getrag-shredding torque, even with a turbo instead of the twin-screw. Thinking, thinking...
Before too long other projects were increasingly requiring the garage space, and the one-lane downhill driveway was too much to push the car into and out of to make room. One thing was for certain, despite my chronic health problems that leave me near-useless a lot of the time, I was going have to do something soon. Sell the car? After all this? I wanted to, but couldn't do it! These cars are evil, I swear.

Through sheer force of stubbornness, I still couldn't bring myself to install a stock 2.8/5-speed setup that had become available to me if I wanted it. It just didn't feel right, an '88 Fiero blank-slate with that horrible powerless abomination they call the stock all-iron V6 re-introduced. I like to think that the original 2.8 seizing up (long before I knew of the car) was a sign. Time marches on, this car deserves better now, come hell or high water (heaven forbid).

What came upon me was this possibility... A friend of mine, member Will on here, had snagged up a Turbo Grand Prix (aka TGP) 3.1 V6 and turbo setup from a local junkyard car awhile back, along with a FWD Getrag from another car. $300 for the entire engine and turbo setup and $150 for FWD Getrag, and it would be mine.
Hmm... Ultimately, it's not a powerful engine. Slightly stronger than a normal Gen II, but not at all more powerful before the boost. If I went this way, I knew that the TGP turbo setup would not work with the 5-speed, so I'd have to go custom, almost the same as turbo'ing any random non-turbo Fiero. That could be good for more power, but that Gen II top end is so darn restrictive, and I'd still have to do a custom swap. The benefits are low compression, strong pistons, slightly better internals, turbo oiling system already in place- a decent platform for moderate boost/power.
Thinking, thinking, thinking. Gotta do something... *closes eyes and winces real hard*, screw it. OKAY. TGP 3.1 5-speed with a custom turbo setup it is!
And that's how Project MIDTRBO was born.

[This message has been edited by ALLTRBO (edited 11-21-2009).]

ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2009 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ALLTRBO

2023 posts
Member since Mar 2006
So...
I'd gone down to Will's place in VA to check out the setup, all looked well. We determined without a doubt that the TGP turbo Y-pipe interfered with the Getrag linkages (FWD or Fiero Getrag, doesn't matter). The TGP T25 turbo was locked up anyway, but who cares, it's tiny junk anyway. I left with all the transaction details worked out and one hell of a motorcycle ride over Thornton Gap in the Blueridge mountains of rural VA. Will was to deliver the goods to me at a later date.

Unfortunately I didn't get pics of the engine and tranny arriving at my house, but it was quite amusing. Will installed a hitch onto his '90 Pontiac 6000 AWD and pulled a medium-sized homemade trailer with the tranny bolted to the engine, strapped down in the middle. It was quite the redneck looking setup!

After unloading it all, more details and plans were thought out. I fabbed a cradle-dolly and we removed the cradle.
I ordered all new poly trans mounts and brackets and a poly front engine mount and adjustable dogbone from Rodney Dickman, and was hoping to use the TGP front engine mount bracket, as it's significantly stronger looking than a stock '88 front mount, which has a tendency to crack. Unfortunately this is what we found out, the FWD mount would not work, even with new holes drilled (note the rust-caused pitting of the 170k mile cradle underneath the powdercoat... I hope it'll be strong enough everywhere)...

So, I ordered a stock '88 front engine mount from the Fiero Factory, and all went well. The bracket looks like this, though that isn't mine and I used the RD poly mount pictured above. If it won't hold up, I'll reinforce it with my fancy new MIG welder and some sheet steel.

The clutch is from Clutchnet and supposedly will hold 450hp according to them. It isn't pictured, but the disk hub springs are encased in the hub unlike the cheap-crap Spec setup that regularly loses its springs in these cars. Will resurfaced an '88 flywheel for me.

After everything arrived and was installed here's what I ended up with...

The green injectors you see are 42 lb/hr, should take everything I can throw at them for now.
A LOT of work still ahead at that point...

ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2009 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ALLTRBO

2023 posts
Member since Mar 2006
I'm going to jump over to the suspension for now as this was being worked at the same time as the next few drivetrain steps.

The suspension parts left untouched were the rear strut setups and the front shocks (actually those were missing altogether).
I hope to document in another thread the electrolysis process I used for rust removal, but you can see the results here.

Here are the money shots, the before and after. Obviously the left side was untouched and I de-rusted, POR-15'd, and re-assembled the right side with Koni adjustable's (the other side was then done as well)...

Upper spring perch untouched...

Upper spring perch de-rusted (almost completely at that point, anyway)...

More on this another day, in another thread.

The springs are stock for now because I want this car to handle properly, and very well. When I say that, I mean that if lowering springs (or lowered coilovers) are used without changing some other things, the geometry is negatively affected, I think the roll center. I forget the terms for sure, but you can ask Will if you want clarification on this...
Basically, in the rear suspension the angle at which the the control arms are placed changes when you lower the ride height via the strut assembly. In other words, the cradle mounting points drop while the spindle mounting points stay the same. This is very bad for neutral handling in the 88's. To remedy this, there are only two practical ways to go about it. By installing drop spindles which don't change geometry at all, or by raising the cradle mounting points. There are no available rear drop spindles for this car so that's out for me, which leaves raising the cradle mounting points.

I've heard that someone has done this without even lowering the car and had very very good results (an extremely neutral handling car) because it improves on the original geometry, but the problem is clearance (mainly with the axles). It's tight in there, and I'll need to measure everything once the car is fully put together. I think I'll be able to go up an inch with these mounts which will allow me to lower the rear an inch without affecting the control arm angle at all. I'm all for improving the stock geometry, but I really can't stand how high these things sit stock. I'll be okay with the factory angle and a lower ride height. However, if I can go up 1.5", I either have the option to lower it by 1.5" or leave it at 1" and have an improved angle. I'll hunt down an '88 rear cradle in nicer shape, weld up new mounts then get the whole thing powdercoated, swap cradles then sell this one. Simple.

There are other geometry changes as well, some of which I'm not sure as to the effect. One that makes me wonder is the trailing arm angle and if lowering will cause less pro-squat, resulting in reduced forward traction. I don't think it's as doable to modify that angle, but it may be. Once again, I'll figure out more later. So anyway, that's why I left the stock springs in. I don't ever want to negatively affect the factory handling, I only want to improve where possible and practical.

As for the front springs, he cut them a good bit before I got the car. Totally unacceptable. I acquired another set of stock '88 GT front springs, and they will be used for similar reasons as the rear (geometry changes). I need to research more, but I've read that the new owner of HT Motorsports (Held) is redesigning or has redesigned their '88 front drop spindles. If he works out the issues with the previous design, I'll go that route and lower 1 or 1.5" up there.
More later...

ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2009 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ALLTRBO

2023 posts
Member since Mar 2006
It's going to start getting more interesting now, and so an apt time to explain the car's name (if you care to read).

MIDTRBO.
Notice my username of ALLTRBO, that comes from the license plate version (7-letter maximum states) of All Turbo. My 11.9 @ 118mph '96 Talon is named ALLTRBO because it's nothing WITHOUT the turbo (and a play on "All motor"). I use this username because I now have more than one turbo vehicle, and the goal is for all of them to be.
The twin-turbo Camaro, naturally, is TWNTRBO. Now somewhere in between 4 cylinders and 8 cylinders comes 6 cylinders, that's smack dab in the middle of the other two, and also the perfect cylinder count for a Fiero which mine happens to be, and you guessed it, it's a mid-engined car. There you have it, ALLTRBO, MIDTRBO, TWNTRBO, and my tiny-turbo'd motorcycle, SMLTRBO.

Now, the choice was yet to be made, which turbo to use for this car? Upon studying many compressor maps and much more research, I had come to decide on a Garrett T3/T4 based on price, reliability, and availability. I was going to use a T04E compressor housing with either a 60-trim wheel or a 60-1 wheel, and a .82 A/R turbine housing with a "stage III" wheel. I called a few different suppliers for quotes, the last of which was Tim's Turbos in VA and he told me that if I wanted it, he had a custom T3/S258 Borg Warner hybrid turbo that he built for someone who ended up not coming up with the cash, and he'd let it go cheap if I bought it before the end of the year because they were trying to clear out of inventory, and as you may know, the economy had tanked (this was Dec. 27th or thereabouts, 2008). He told me that the original price was $1400 that the guy couldn't pay, so make an offer. I told him I'd call him back. I looked up the specs and really liked what I saw, it was pretty much a great match for this setup whether on low-boost or high, and even with my planned future (REAL) engine build. Rest of the long story short, I took delivery of this $1400 turbo for $850 shipped.

It has a Garrett T3 .82 a/r turbine housing machined to fit the Borg Warner (Bullseye Power is the same thing) S258 turbine wheel and compressor side. Definitely bigger than this setup will need initially, but it isn't too massive.

Here's the compressor map...

If you understand what's going on here, notice the ability of this thing to remain quite efficient at very high pressure ratios. This is because the exducer to inducer ratio is pretty high (a lower 'trim', 44 in this case). One drawback of that is the higher likelyhood of compressor surge, but that's negated by the anti-surge compressor housing. What all this means is that for the size, the compressor can flow a whole lot of air if your setup can handle the higher boost it likes. This is why Bullseye Power/Borg Warner turbos do very well against the competition when in inducer-size (58mm in this case) limited classes of racing.

If you don't know WTH I'm talking about, I'll just say that it'll max out at almost 600whp with the right setup.

Here it is versus the stock TGP T25...

ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2009 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ALLTRBO

2023 posts
Member since Mar 2006
I think that's all I'm going to post for now, I'm kinda burned out on posting at the moment. There's still quite a bit more to come, along with some changes, before I get to its current state. Stay tuned (and comment if you'd like)...

DefEddie

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2009 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DefEddieSend a Private Message to DefEddieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i'm gearing up to do the same thing on mine.
Haven't started looking at compressor maps or anything yet though.
I'm thinking of doing 3400 heads and lower,3.1 upper(cause I like it) and also upgrading to a T3 flange.
Other than that going stock bottom end (freshened of course).

What are you going to do regarding the alternator location?
I plan to just pull it all apart,and start mounting brackets till I find a way to fit it and the AC.
Hard to believe there is no other spot for it,but i've not started playing yet.
If you have more pics of the mounts etc.. and what you have done,are doing then post em up.

Looking forward to following this thread.
fieroX

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 372
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2009 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
couple of things, first off Bullseye turbos are freaking amazing. I love the S362 I have with my 3800. It spools very fast (pulls the front wheels on a good launch). You said something about 600 whp with your setup. Possible, but not likely to happen with a 3.1. I made 548 whp on 24 psi with long tube headers and E85. The 3.1 is a lot less efficient engine, and to make that kind of power you will need 35+ psi, but on the other hand that engine wont be able to process 35 psi of boost, it will just keep stacking pressure inside the intake tract. Something to think about, you may want to consider extensive port work, cam profile, and a custom intake plenums.

Also about that Bullseye turbo. You got a pretty good deal, but Tim is Bullsh1tting you on the price. Those are about $950 retail. Dealer cost is about $650. I am a dealer for them too.

Im not bashing, Im just trying to give you some realism/criticism. I think the turbo is matched well for a 3.1L, but do some research when figuring out what cam profile etc, will work best with your combo. Also what will you be using for exhaust manifolds/headers? The .82 a/r might be a bit much for a 3.1. I am running the .82 a/r T4 turbine on mine. It spools very fast because I have it set up so that the exhaust pulses alternate into the twin scroll turbine housing. Something else you might consider. On a 3.1 something closer to a .70 a/r will be more efficient.

Just some stuff to think about thats all.

Ryan
ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2009 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hold on, hold on. In order.

Originally posted by DefEddie:

i'm gearing up to do the same thing on mine.
Haven't started looking at compressor maps or anything yet though.
I'm thinking of doing 3400 heads and lower,3.1 upper(cause I like it) and also upgrading to a T3 flange.
Other than that going stock bottom end (freshened of course).

What are you going to do regarding the alternator location?
I plan to just pull it all apart,and start mounting brackets till I find a way to fit it and the AC.
Hard to believe there is no other spot for it,but i've not started playing yet.
If you have more pics of the mounts etc.. and what you have done,are doing then post em up.

Looking forward to following this thread.

Yeah, I saw that killer deal you got on the TGP, nice score. Are you going to use an auto? That Y-pipe won't fit with a manual as mentioned, but you may be talking about upgrading to a T3 flange on a custom Y-pipe for a manual if so? Either way, a T3 based turbine is a good choice.

The 3.1 upper won't fit on a 3400/3100 lower, not even close. You wouldn't want it to, though, it flows nothing compared to the later stuff. Do upgrade the whole top end, it'll be worth it despite losing the "3.1 Intercooled Turbo" moniker. More on that upgrade here, later (aforementioned changes).

Alternator will be put down low rear of the engine, in the original Fiero area, with a custom bracket. No cutting of the decklid to cause bowing for me, thanks. It'll fit down there just fine, just needs a fab'd setup to get there.
The TGP A/C compressor fits as is, down low in the front.
Unfortunately no more pics of the mounts yet, but there will be eventually.

Originally posted by fieroX:

couple of things, first off Bullseye turbos are freaking amazing. I love the S362 I have with my 3800. It spools very fast (pulls the front wheels on a good launch). You said something about 600 whp with your setup. Possible, but not likely to happen with a 3.1. I made 548 whp on 24 psi with long tube headers and E85. The 3.1 is a lot less efficient engine, and to make that kind of power you will need 35+ psi, but on the other hand that engine wont be able to process 35 psi of boost, it will just keep stacking pressure inside the intake tract. Something to think about, you may want to consider extensive port work, cam profile, and a custom intake plenums.

Also about that Bullseye turbo. You got a pretty good deal, but Tim is Bullsh1tting you on the price. Those are about $950 retail. Dealer cost is about $650. I am a dealer for them too.

Im not bashing, Im just trying to give you some realism/criticism. I think the turbo is matched well for a 3.1L, but do some research when figuring out what cam profile etc, will work best with your combo. Also what will you be using for exhaust manifolds/headers? The .82 a/r might be a bit much for a 3.1. I am running the .82 a/r T4 turbine on mine. It spools very fast because I have it set up so that the exhaust pulses alternate into the twin scroll turbine housing. Something else you might consider. On a 3.1 something closer to a .70 a/r will be more efficient.

Just some stuff to think about thats all.

Ryan

Thanks for the insights, however, some slight corrections needed here...
To reiterate, I said "it'll max out at almost 600whp with the right setup.", mine not being even close to that. You are correct, a Gen II 3.1 is not a very efficient engine, nor could this bottom end handle almost 600whp even if I could get the stock TGP top end there.
I haven't gotten to the part in the build yet where I upgraded to a 3400 top end for reason's I'll get into later (trying to stay chronological here), but that is a much much more efficient setup (3400 heads flow better than un-ported 3800 heads). With this, I hope for somewhere around 350whp on 15psi and 93 octane with a good air/water IC, and somewhere around 400whp on 20ish psi with race gas. Once I build the later planned "3200" with a stout bottom end and various other things, I think I could reach 500whp on boost in the upper 20's. I don't plan on ever maxing the turbo out. Sorry for the confusion.

As I mentioned, this S258 had a Garrett T3 exhaust side machined to fit by them, and that raises the price. I don't really agree with how much more it raises the price, but I located a few different places on the internet (I'd have to search again) that offer this service, and theirs are all about $1400 as well, vs. ~$1000 for an out of the box S258. He really didn't want to let it go for that, but he did when I told him I couldn't pay a penny more (The T3/T4's I was looking at were around $700).

The Garrett T3 .82 a/r turbine isn't all that large, not even close to a T4 .82 a/r turbine. On my Talon I have a Garrett T3 .63 a/r turbine for its 2 liter revving to 7500 and it's about right, but could go slightly bigger even. I do think the .82 will do well on the 3.1, and I'll be running it up to at least 6200 (stock 3100 redline).
Despite this, I do admit that the turbine is more of a guessing game than the compressor, and I'll have to wait and see how it performs. If I need to go down to a .63 T3 (the next size down) for some reason, It won't be hard to get one machined for it.

I do thank you for trying to help with a good attitude. Much appreciated.

Oh, and these are (soon) going to be the manifolds, with 1 5/8" primaries. It's not the most efficient design in the world, but they are loads better than some logs I've seen make unexpectedly good power.

Mr_jacob7

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2009 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr_jacob7Send a Private Message to Mr_jacob7Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Geez! write a book, why don't you?

lol, just messin'.

looks good. following closely, and will offer any advice or answers that you need. just send a PM my way, or whatever.

good luck with the swap!

------------------
"Be not led astray, bretheren beloved..." -James 1:16.

Thanks, Danyel, for the graphic.

PFF
System Bot
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2009 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
added to my favorites. I'm very interested to see how this swap pans out. Keep me in the loop.
Dave

------------------

1987 GT (my toy-see above), 1987 GT 3800s/c, 1986 SE with a VW VR6, certified master technician/shop owner
www.njautobahn.com
www.hausofguru.com

ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2009 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now, where is this giant Fiero-inhaling turbo going to sit in there? You might be surprised at how many options are wholly deleted by going up just a couple inches in diameter.

At this point I wasn't sure of the final turbo setup design, and played with a few options including a rear-exit 3400 exhaust manifold setup, hooking the turbo up to an adapter near the trunk wall. Lets see...

TGP manifold (tiny)...

3400 manifold (not as tiny but sucks anyway)...

Will it fit here maybe? No cutting of the trunk for sure! I gotta have a place for all those useful road-side tools required of Fiero ownership, now don't I? Why yes, yes I do. Trunk stays.

Oh wait, we can't have the compressor outlet pointing 3" from the ground right? Rotate it up? Nogo as well, clearance issues and extra heat up there. Besides, this is where I want my uber-cool selectable sport/race exhaust setup to go! Looks like that's out.

Nearer the tranny? No room for an intake pipe. Flip that? no room for the exhaust downpipe. Closer to the Alternator location? Same problems, but over there. Yep, this "rear mount" turbo thing just isn't going to work for me. How about up front where the stock cat goes? No way, this turbo won't fit anywhere near there. Other possibles? Shot down, shot down, shot down.
Well, looks like it's going to have to go where I wanted it to in the first place (Will had a lot to do with the other ideas, heh), right where all the cool boys put it! Above the tranny, coming right out of a custom Y-pipe.
But wait, what's this?...

...That's a throttlebody in the way. No good. I could kink an inlet pipe to make an L while tweaking the turbo location just barely (hah!) or I could... no... Upgrade to a 3400 top end (or 2000+ 3100, same thing) that moves the throttlebody toward the front of the car several inches? Oh the hurt. How could I ever live with myself, upgrading to 40% better flow like that. More power on less boost? Of all the horrible things! Oh darn, I guess there's no other choice!

So that settled it, a planned future upgrade ended up being necessary. Off to the junkyard I went and off I pulled 3400 heads and lower intake (and accessories) from a 2001 Olds Alero, and a 3100 upper intake and throttlebody from a 2002 Malibu. At the time I hadn't known that the only difference in the top ends (aside from the "3100" or "3400" lettering) was that the 3100's all got smaller throttlebodies. 52mm vs. 56mm for the 3400 IIRC. Whoops, oh well, it will be easy to snag a 3400 one later (or a better one, with modifications), and the smaller one might be easier to get a base tune with since it's slightly closer to the 3.1 TB size, I'm using the TGP 3.1 turbo code ($8F) in a '730. Once it's going decent I won't stay with the smaller TB, though.

Pics of that will come later, as it's important to maintain the chronology and I didn't get pics at first.

So now that I had a better top end, there was no way I was going to use the tiny, restrictive TGP exhaust manifolds, even with a custom Y-pipe. Aside from flowing poorly, to match the D-port 3400 heads they'd have to be ported to almost nothing. Custom tubular manifolds it is! I don't really need to post the pic from the last post again I think, but that's what I decided on for a good compromise in flow, simplicity, cost, weight, and space savings. They'll do just fine.

More later, still not here yet...

[This message has been edited by ALLTRBO (edited 11-27-2009).]

ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2009 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ALLTRBO

2023 posts
Member since Mar 2006
Thanks Jacob, will do. I try to keep the wording to a minimum for all the impatient types, I really do, but I just can't do it!

Sure thing Dave, you will definitely be kept in the loop. As I said, more to come later.

RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2009 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great thread..Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Just curious...if you've replaced the top end of the 3.1, and the exaust of the 3.1, and the trans of the 3.1, why use the 3.1? Hardened bottem end?

Bob
ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2009 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks.

Yep, the bottom end is better, though not a huge amount. The crank is hardened and has rolled fillets and the rods' tolerances are supposed to be tighter as they were hand picked and possibly stronger (barely), but the big improvement is the Mahle pistons. While still hyper eutectic (IIRC), they're stronger all around than any other 'stock' pistons, and have a deeper dish for lower compression as well.
The block is rumored to have a higher nickel content, though I've heard of at least two TGP blocks cracking at the deck because of casting flaws. It's relatively rare, but some Gen II castings are known to do it, TGP's included. Mine actually pulled threads from the head mounting holes with the head studs (DOH) so now it's time-serted (I'll get to that). Basically, I don't have blind faith in the block like some others do, but I'm thinking it'll be fine as most are. I'll keep an eye on it. When I build the really stout bottom end I'll use a Gen III block.

Really, though, as you can see from above, I originally planned on using the whole TGP engine, just with a custom turbo setup. Once I decided to change the top end, it was easier just to use the same block and swap top ends, and I get to keep the low compression which is about 8.75:1 with the Gen III heads. A 3100 has 9.6:1 as it comes, no good for 15-20 psi on this setup.

[This message has been edited by ALLTRBO (edited 11-22-2009).]

ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2009 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ALLTRBO

2023 posts
Member since Mar 2006
Okay, now that I'm going to have all this power and handling, how do I STOP!!! quickly. The car came with spacers to move the '88 brake calipers out for use with 12" Corvette rotors (less hardware) and with the centering rings originally from sluppy123 if I remember his s/n right, and also came with braided SS brake lines. The original calipers were removed and untouched when I got the car, but they were included.

I ordered 12" Powerslot rotors for the C4 Corvette from Autoanything for the lowest price I could find even before their 15% off discount that day (they have a new discount like, every day). They had them drop-shipped directly from Powerslot, and all was as expected.
I got pricier Powerslot rotors because they're made in the USA (support US!), and I've had more than my share of dealings with cheap crap Chinese rotors. Aside from that, the slotted rotors look cool and aren't prone to cracking under very hard use like some cross-drilled rotors.
Next up were 4 '88 caliper rebuild kits and Porterfield R4-S pads along with Motul Dot 5.1 brake fluid (high temp non-silicone, not to be confused with the silicone DOT 5 that shouldn't be used here). I did lots of research to come up with this combo, then I found out that someone here, I forget who, has this exact brake setup on their '88 and said it is amazing, perfectly balanced and the car will stop like it ran into a pool of peanut butter (my words, not his). I shall see if that's accurate with mine as well.

No pics of it at this point, but there will be soon. The pics exist, just waiting to get to the point that they were taken.
ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2009 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ALLTRBO

2023 posts
Member since Mar 2006
So now I have 12" brakes, and 15" wheels that they won't fit under. I have to upgrade. Darn.
Lots of research led me to wheels I really like, and while a tad bit on the heavy side, they look beautiful and can be had for a good price used in good shape if you look around hard enough.
Note: I give partial credit to justa6 here for having these rims on his beautiful GT first, and while I didn't completely get the idea from him, seeing them on his car sold me on them.
Meet the Volkswagen Monte Carlo or Santa Monica (depending on who you ask) wheels that were available on 02-04 Golfs, Jettas, and Beetles. My memory may be slightly off on the years, but close.

Here are the first three I bought from a guy in Hawaii for cheap, and shipping wasn't bad believe it or not. He removed the tire before shipping...

I then found a single wheel from someone else later, for a good price also.
They're 5x100 and 17x7 with a 38mm offset. Not a great offset for the front of an '88, but they'll do. I like the idea of the good '88 scrub-radius stock but I don't think this hurts steering effort all that much. I have an idea to make them look less like they're sticking out up there (though they aren't bad looking anyway).

More research led me to try Yokahama S-drive's for the tires. 235/45 for the rear and 205/50 for the front. I can hardly wait to try shoving them out of their traction zone.

ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2009 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ALLTRBO

2023 posts
Member since Mar 2006
A note, throughout this whole thing I've been ordering new and used parts left and right. Some of them I've shown and/or explained, some of them I've yet to.
I still have to find a few more used parts for this project, would anyone mind looking in my WTB thread to see if you might have any?

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/043893.html

ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2009 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ALLTRBO

2023 posts
Member since Mar 2006
Big project directional shift ahead...

...At least WRT the way it's going to be completed. There comes some time in every man's life when he just has to give in, and all that jazz.

I've always been the DIY/built-not-bought type, mostly because half of the fun is completing a project myself but partially because I can't trust anyone to do anything right (at least it's very rare), but this time was different. My chronic health problems have been slowly getting worse and worse (severe sleeping troubles and severe IBS-C are the two main problems, among lesser problems, neither the doctors nor I have figured out what's going on for sure, and yes I've tried almost everything). I hate to keep bringing that up, and I'm not looking for sympathy, it's just that these problems infiltrate every second of my life. I have to follow a strict schedule or I spiral out of control, and even when I do follow a strict schedule I still am about 1/2 the person I should be.

Often I'm in so much pain or so out of whack mentally from a violent night's "sleep" and/or from being 'backed-up' that I can't go to work or do anything around the house, and have to now make up my time at work because I'm constantly at a no-leave balance, or just have to work longer hours because I'm very slow on certain days and can't rightfully count them as a full 8-hours, and every day I spend at least 1/2 hour in the bathroom at work on top the ~2.5 hours I have to spend in the bathroom at home every single morning and the ~1 hour every evening (If I don't, I can't go at all even though I take two laxatives every day, and then I'll spiral out of control). On top of that I have various doctors appointments to go to often on Saturdays, Mass on Sundays, and drive to work about 6 days/wk to get just 40 hours in.

One of my problems makes the other worse, and the other makes the one worse. I like typing more than talking as I can gather my sometimes very muddled thoughts more collectively and coherently in written words because I can go back over them several times before I hit 'submit'. Work is priority 1 (After Mass but that's only 1 hr/wk) because, while my wife works and makes reasonable money also, we still couldn't afford to pay the bills if we didn't both work.
Again, I'm not looking for sympathy and I hope that wasn't TMI, I'm just trying to express how much this affects me, and how it ties in to this project that I so very much want, and need, to drive (not just the beater truck or motorcycle)

So, this summer came the turning point. Will had been helping me on some of this throughout the months it took me to get to that point in the story and he was leaving soon for the desert for a year with his new Naval Reserve unit (God speed!), and I was about to switch companies.
I work for NASA as a contractor Electronics Technician, and how it works there is that we pretty much move from company to company as the projects change and new contract are awarded, or as the contracts and end are re-awarded to someone else. Most of the actual design and labor is completed in this way, civil servants are increasingly more managerial or administrative only.
At this time the last project I was working on had been finished, the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO), and I was offered a job with a new company to work on two new satellite projects simultaneously (GPM and MMS) which I accepted. This was great, and not so great. It provided a very healthy pay raise and job security for a few more years, but at the same time meant that I had to work even harder to get the job done, I had to move to the work lifestyle posted above. This meant that there was no way I was going to be able to complete this thing in any reasonable amount of time, and I also had (and still have) other cars to get fixed and driving, or gotten rid of.

Coincidentally, there was a certain german car guru who also likes Fieros that opened up a portion of his repair shop recent to this to build some bad-arse Fieros. This particular guru also happened to be in New Jersey, which is on the same side of the country as I am, and isn't that far away. On top of that, this crazy fella with a crazy birdy-flipping wife ( ) that I had met a couple times before, just happens to be an OCD perfectionist like I am.
So as some of you already know, after several PM's back and forth it was decided that the bmwguru himself, Dave (along with his team of Fiero nuts), was going to be completing my project for me (almost completely completing, I'll get to that later) at the Haus of Guru. You may or may not have any idea how humbling that was for me, but it is what it is, and Dave will do (and is doing) a great job.

I'm still not to the point where we are now, but getting close. More later...

ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2009 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ALLTRBO

2023 posts
Member since Mar 2006
Wow, that's a lot to read. If you don't care to, just read the first bit and the last paragraph and that'll tell you what the shift is. The rest is why, heh.

PFF
System Bot
DefEddie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2009 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DefEddieSend a Private Message to DefEddieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Keep the long post's coming,I love to read and have hours upon hours of reading in this forum.
I tend to ramble on about different thoughts in threads.
This comes from two things,one being like you said-typing helps me sort out my mind and get thoughts out.
Also it drives me crazy when i'm reading through posts and archives that people didn't get more information or clarify small stuff that sometimes seem's inconseqential to that subject (but might apply elsewhere).

Sorry to hear about the health problems,don't feel bad about getting it out though.
Helps to clarfiy what might seem like odd decisions to others.
I do some odd things in odd manners also,that some people say "WTF?".
But like you I also have home dynamics that have a larger impact than some.
I have a severly disabled 8yo that is nonambulatory,blind,nonspeaking etc.. that spends most of her time in bed on an IV.
On top of the issues that come with that,I also have a 4yo son born with no fingers/toes that just started school.
My dad left when I was young,adopted by another then left again-so words can't really describe how important his wellbeing and direction mean to me.
Like you I also spend ALOT of time with church activities,teaching a financial class and volunteering- not to mention secondary education for projects i'm involved with (emergency response,communications,local FEMA stuff).
And even taking my 8yo nephew to boy scout stuff (two fathers left him also. )
I try to do all this and play with various projects while working full time as a driveability/electrical tech at the local Ford dealer,part time manager at Autozone and side business tuning PCM's sometimes.

Sorry I had to get that all out too,actually feels pretty good.
I'm trying to say your not alone dude,just gotta take it one day at a time.
When I get frustrated,I just thank jesus for giving me the patience and skills for whatever i'm doing at the time.
It calms me down enough usually to get past the inevitable frustration at life sometimes.

Stick to it,your helping keep others on track with your persistance.

Def
ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2009 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good to know some like the wordy posts (I am one). I agree, some people leave out lots of information in the name of getting it posted real quick (I think).

Wow, sounds like you have a lot going on, I wish you all the best and I'm sure those that love you are thankful for you from the sounds of it.

I do hope I can help keep others on track but that's giving me too much credit, I'm just trying to share my build, as I know I've enjoyed learning from many many others that I've read.

If anyone else wants to join this special episode of "As the Turbo Spools" go right ahead and post in here, I don't mind at all.

Okay, back to the build. We're going to make progress now!...

Mr_jacob7

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2009 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr_jacob7Send a Private Message to Mr_jacob7Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i can't wait to see it. the things going to be smoking fast. it already is with the stock turbo, so, y'know...

------------------

ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2009 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mr_jacob, one thing I've learned from the various cars I've modded is that mine never got faster, everyone else's just got slower.
"Fast" really is relative. I progressively went from 15 seconds to 11 seconds in my Talon and it only seemed faster after each mod for about a week, then I needed more again. With every car new I smoked, I was thinking "Man, that thing is slow".

What does this all mean? I need to make my Fiero faster than my Talon, that's what!

ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2009 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ALLTRBO

2023 posts
Member since Mar 2006
So the date was set for Joey (Dave's wife) to come pick up MIDTRBO with her blingin' new Ford semi-truck (at least it's about as big as one), about a month or so from then IIRC. I had to get crackin' on it just to get it onto a trailer.

First off was finding the correct hardware for the rear suspension in my pile 'o parts, the previous owner slapped a bunch of random bolts in it to keep it from falling off when I picked it up (another detail he failed to mention beforehand) so I had to order some of the correct hardware and find the rest used. I finally had everything sorted out, then I had to complete the other side strut ass'y with the rust removal, POR-15, and Koni, I hadn't actually done that until this point. Once that was back together I bolted all the suspension back onto the car, and next up was the new wheels and tires.

Since I was going to have him finish the 12" brake upgrade and the 15" wheels had bald tires anyway (those 5-star 15's you can see on the front in the rear-up shot earlier were the only others I had, I sold the gold lace wheels with the last Fiero I think I'll ever sell, haha), I needed to install the new tires on the VW wheels. I had previously spent a lot of time polishing up the VW wheels because they didn't look perfect when I got them, and while still not perfect, they are now very acceptable looking.

I took my trusty old beater '90 Chevy 1500 (I REALLY hate driving that thing unless I'm using it for its intended purpose) to the NASA tech center with my wheels and tires loaded up in the back, then proceeded to mount and balance all the tires. One of the rears took way more weight to balance than I like but rather than dismounting and using the fancy features of the top-o-the line computer balancer with road force measurements (it is NASA afterall, hehe) to determine which part of the assembly was the problem (wheel runout? Tire out of round? etc. etc.), or even just doing the old-fashioned rotate-the-tire-180*-on-the-wheel trick, I just left it balanced with lots of weights because I had no time left that day. Those rears were a PAIN to install, the sidewalls are low, they're wider than the wheels, and those have sidewalls as stiff as I've seen. They wouldn't even rotate on the wheel without having one bead entirely removed.
I'm hoping it'll be fine when it comes time to drive it back home from New Jersey so I can deal with it then. It should be okay, but I don't ultimately want okay, I want perfect. Tires aren't something to toy with in my opinion.

I also had to order a full set of Fiero lugnuts since I had none because the 15" wheels use the other style lug (I forget the name), and because I want to use Fiero (any older GM, really) black lugnut caps on these. I don't need those yet, however, but will order them when the car gets home so I don't lose them in the meantime. I also will order two more VW centercaps since two were missing, and will put Fiero decals over those.

Here was the result (better pics soon)...

P.P. I don't have that motorcycle anymore, but a fire-breathing 200hp 450lb monster that'll pull the front wheel from a roll in third at 130mph! 9.9 @ 150 in the 1/4, a 2008 ZX-10R. Then I have the little 750 turbo project that'll make the same power when I'm done with that (after the Fiero at least).

ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2009 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ALLTRBO

2023 posts
Member since Mar 2006
Time was getting shorter, the date fast approaching. I had to clean the hell out of the garage and label and pack all of the parts I had that needed to go with it, stuff them in the Fiero, then come up with a series of base tune chips for Dave to try (in order) when the time comes to start it up. I ended up with a few different combos, one of which should work should the others fail, providing the wiring and mechanical's are proper.

Around this time TLG auto (member Oslo) came out with a product that I thought I'd try, a set of low-rise wingstands. They require finishing touches and minor mods to look GREAT rather than just good IMO, but I ordered them up real quick and installed them so I could snag pics before the car left.

Here are the pics of those installed. Note the Fiero lacking a passenger seat and packed with Fiero junk, hehe.

[This message has been edited by ALLTRBO (edited 01-09-2010).]

ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2009 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ALLTRBO

2023 posts
Member since Mar 2006
The day was finally here. Joey and her sidekick Shawn (one of Dave's Fiero loving employees, also working on it) were fortunately late, because I wasn't ready until they arrived, haha.

I'll try to keep the long story short. This whole time I was filled with a rush-rush anxiety that I shouldn't have been, it was a bad day for that.
My driveway is a mild S-curve uphill, Joey couldn't get the trailer backed up it with the massive Ford, we tried to 'hoist' it into position and failed, so ultimately I had to go get my trusty ol' beater Chevy and back the trailer up the grassy area with it. Chevy 1, Ford 0, haha. If you'll remember the car had no brakes (not even the parking brake) so down-and-up-and-down onto the trailer was hard, then while being strapped down MIDTRBO almost ran over and killed Joey , fortunately Shawn was there to save the day preventing certain death while I was la-la-ing around taking these pictures at that very moment.
MIDTRBO got strapped down, I pulled it down the street, we traded trucks, and they were off into the sunset (not really, it was early summer afternoon and they were headed north, but it sounded good, didn't it?)

How many Fiero nuts does it take to load one onto a trailer without killing anybody? Exactly 3. Barely.

(Shawn strapping it down, my Chevy in front, the Ford on the side. )

Joey and Shawn on the left, my wife Christine on the right. TWNTRBO in the background parked on the street...

My favorite side shot (the car in reality anyway), I love the wing location in this pic. Unfortunately the brakes are still missing, I'll have to have Dave get us a pic of them sitting behind the wheels now that they're fully installed.

The rest of the story continues for me only in pictures for awhile. I feel like you guys now. Well, maybe not.

ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2009 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ALLTRBO

2023 posts
Member since Mar 2006
I'm going to have to stop here for tonight and I'm not sure when I can post again, but I still have to get you all up to snuff with what Dave has done so far (quite a bit, he's a lot faster than I am!). In the meantime you can see some of it in his Haus of Guru thread if you haven't already.
Comments still welcome.

To offset all the RED RED RED (gosh, I can't stand red, but no offense if you like it.), I leave you with a simple photoshop. Goodnight Fiero friends...

bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2009 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My opinion of the paint is to flow with the body line like I did on my orange and black GT. It really makes the car look more aggressive. I'll put together the pics I have and get them to you. Once we receive the custom pushrods, I'll be making more progress on the build. I'm kinda stuck in the meantime.
Dave
Mr_jacob7

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2009 06:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr_jacob7Send a Private Message to Mr_jacob7Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i like it. ;]

------------------

PFF
System Bot
ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2009 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dave, I've thought about that but I really like the beltline as the divider, it's a perfect visual separator IMO. I am also set on the blue going up top and I don't want to take away any of what will be that beautiful color (photoshop not exact shade, but similar). Yours does look good, though.

Mr_jacob, you mean the future paint scheme?
PhantomMs1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2009 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhantomMs1Click Here to visit PhantomMs1's HomePageSend a Private Message to PhantomMs1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bmwguru and ALLTRBO,
Keep us updated, I for one like the lengthy posts. As mentioned before alot of times details are left out, I might not understand everything (I.E. compressor mapping) but I do like how you sum everything up at the end for us who don't understand. to go along with your lengthy posts, don't forget pictures. WE LOVE PICTURES

keep up the great work!

[This message has been edited by PhantomMs1 (edited 11-24-2009).]

mtownfiero

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2009 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mtownfieroSend a Private Message to mtownfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump. Any progress?
Mr_jacob7

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2009 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr_jacob7Send a Private Message to Mr_jacob7Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ALLTRBO:

Mr_jacob, you mean the future paint scheme?

Yes. It looks real tough, and I like blues.

------------------

ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2009 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have time to post another segment of progress but then I need to head off to work to make up more time.

Okay, Dave now had the car, Joey and Shawn made it back without it rolling down the highway and killing someone. A big plus.
He pulled all of my loose parts out of the car and labeled them (probably more individually than I did I guess) and set them near the car. Now it was all ready and set up in it's new temporary pseudo-German home.

First up, brakes and front suspension.

One of the Powerslot Corvette rotors, freshly re-drilled to 5x100. I had included one stock '88 rotor for the template...

The cradle assembly pulled back down to get ready for more work...

The front suspension is completely put back together in these next pics. I hadn't touched the front since I bought it, but now it's better than new. I had Dave ditch the poly sway bar links altogether and install Rodney Dickman's zero-lash end links (for the rear too). Apparently the sway-bar inner mounts were stock-rubber still so I ordered some poly mounts for him to install, but the company had them incorrectly listed as 84-88 mounts when they were really 84-87 mounts so they wouldn't fit. Dave took care of getting the right ones and installed them. He installed the Koni struts, swapped out the cut springs for the stock 88 springs, and tightened up everything else to factory specs. The steering was gone over as well. The car will get a full 4-wheel performance alignment to my specs once it's able to drive onto the alignment rack.

The new brake rotors sat behind the new wheels while the calipers were sent off to be powdercoated...

The calipers had been returned from the powdercoaters. I chose silver because it goes with everything and looks good. I'd like them to be the same color the top of my car will be, but there is no powdercoat that will match that Candy so they'll have to be painted over if I ever decide on that. For now silver is great, and is a massive improvement over the nasty old used condition they were in...

The brakes are now complete (less parking brake) with the re-drilled rotors, centering rings, caliper spacer brackets, rebuilt calipers, braided lines, and filled with the Motul fluid.

More prior updates later.

Have a happy Thanksgiving everybody!

ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2009 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ALLTRBO

2023 posts
Member since Mar 2006

Originally posted by Mr_jacob7:
Yes. It looks real tough, and I like blues.

You beat me to the last posting...
Cool, glad you like it and I agree.

ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2009 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ALLTRBO

2023 posts
Member since Mar 2006

Originally posted by PhantomMs1:

bmwguru and ALLTRBO,
Keep us updated, I for one like the lengthy posts. As mentioned before alot of times details are left out, I might not understand everything (I.E. compressor mapping) but I do like how you sum everything up at the end for us who don't understand. to go along with your lengthy posts, don't forget pictures. WE LOVE PICTURES

keep up the great work!

Sure thing. Everyone here loves pics of this stuff, very true. Unfortunately I didn't get as many pics as I would have liked to when I still had it, but there will be many more to come, I promise.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words... In that case I really should have taken more, that would have saved me a lot of typing!

ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2009 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ALLTRBO

2023 posts
Member since Mar 2006
One last teaser pic for tonight...

mtownfiero

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2009 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mtownfieroSend a Private Message to mtownfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
3x00 heads? The only way i know how to tell is the D shaped exhaust port but i cant see in the pic though.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock