Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Haus of Guru: The Ultimate Car Build Off (Page 14)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 15 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Haus of Guru: The Ultimate Car Build Off by bmwguru
Started on: 01-29-2011 11:02 AM
Replies: 577 (43758 views)
Last post by: Charlie64 on 11-19-2017 09:51 PM
madcurl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2012 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogt28:
I'm impressed with the alignment shop...its very, very clean and tidy. That's the way a
shop should be. Man, its discouraging when you bring a nice car in and the shop is newer
that the car you own, but the shop is a friggen mess. I don't know how mechanics can
work when their tool box is out of order. There's not a trace of grease on the alignment rack.

I see they have a newer style rack by Hunter. At least they can't have an excuse for scratching
your rims...

Good job !!

I remember seeing the tire changer and wheel alignment equipment several years back at SEMA. I haven't found a shop that has the Hunter alignment system here where I live, but just the newer tire changer. It's a pain, but I have to mount my tires here in the Bay Area and not down south.
IP: Logged
fiero go fast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2012 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero go fastSend a Private Message to fiero go fastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Charlie,
PM.

Matt
Charlie64

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2012 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Matt. Response sent.
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2012 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Charlie64

396 posts
Member since Nov 2008
Here's pictures from the painting. Sorry I didn't get these up sooner. Been enjoying driving my car

I decided to come inside for a few minutes before I take some photos today. We were supposed to have partly cloudy skies today. So much for our forecast.

Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2012 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today was a much more "user friendly" day so naturally....I was out driving the car

I spotted this on 14th Street in downtown DC...still has the paper tag on it!

I did get lots of attention driving thru downtown. Later this afternoon I wiped the car down and took some new pictures...

I plan to do more photos along the scenic route of GW Parkway towards Mount Vernon.
DaveC

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2012 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DaveCSend a Private Message to DaveCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Charlie, I've been around this forum off and on since the beginning, and I guess I just like lurking, but I had to come out of the shadows to tell you how beautiful a job all the various crews (and you too!) did on your Fiero. Even my best friend says she thinks it's "Splendid" ! https://www.fiero.nl/forum/icons/icon12.gif

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your progress with us. The skill, passion, and dedication of everyone involved is an inspiration to what can be done with our favorite orphan.

Do you have a name for her yet??

All the best!

Dave

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2012 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow!
CommanderKeen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2012 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CommanderKeenSend a Private Message to CommanderKeenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man that is beautiful
steve308

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2012 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cars and Coffee at Koh's on Sunday? Would love to see it.
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2012 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is that in Great Falls?
steve308

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2012 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nope. Great Falls is Katies on Saturday -- starts 6:30 am (now in the dark) and ends at 10 SUNDAY at Kohls Fairlake starts 8 ish ends 10:30 ish
PFF
System Bot
1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2012 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love being able to see the reflections of the spokes and Wilwood calipers in the rear lip. I just keep coming back to this thread to drool.
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2012 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I meant to put these up Sunday. I went to two Northern Virginia Sports Car Club meetups that occur every weekend. Saturdays is in Great Falls, VA the other meetup is on Sundays in the Fairlakes area. Anyway, I was late to the meetup on Saturday so I didn't get to park where all the cars were being viewed, but I did receive a lot of compliments on my car's looks and definitely the sound There were plenty of Ferraris, Lambos, Aston Martins, Audi R8s, Lotus, Vettes out the yazoo, classic Shelby Cobra, a Ford GT, a Nissan GTR, a Telsa, a few old school rides, and then there was my car. At Sunday's meetup there was a balance of European, Japanese, and American (both new and old muscle cars). I was early to this meetup so I managed to get a good parking space. My car got lots of attention. There were three of us Fiero owners at this meetup so I didn't have to "represent" alone. The most fun part of both meetups was having people try to figure out what my car was.

http://www.meetup.com/novas...hotoAlbumId=11700772

I finally got the windows tinted Friday...whoo whoo!
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Gotta give recognition to Steve's car as well. Thanks for letting me know about this meetup.

Saturday's meetup starts at 7am, but you have to arrive by 6:30 if you hope to have a parking space. I didn't take any pictures of my car at Saturday's meetup and no one has posted any pictures from Saturday's meetup. Sunday's meetup was a little more forgiving on the start time (8:30am). I'm looking forward to going again this weekend...as long as the weather cooperates.

[This message has been edited by Charlie64 (edited 11-16-2012).]

Jfrost

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2012 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JfrostSend a Private Message to JfrostEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What an amazing build! The car turned out beautifully.
Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2012 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Charlie64:

There's just something about that phat rear hip...
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2012 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Charlie any more stories ??
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2012 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

WOW I LOVE this car. Good job.
I am a fan of the stock GT tail lights so that is one thing I would not have changed but a great looking car. My hat is off to you.

[This message has been edited by Rickady88GT (edited 11-30-2012).]

Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2012 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:
Charlie any more stories ??

Actually...yes. Last Saturday I went to the meetup in Great Falls. BBBRRRRRRRR cold. Anyway on the way home someone in a C43 AMG tried to "run" on me. Not only did I have to back off to keep from being in his back seat....at the next light I made him a memory. Then I let off the gas and he caught up 5 seconds later. Pretty sure he got the message.

Thanks for the compliment Rick. I'm enjoying driving it

[This message has been edited by Charlie64 (edited 11-30-2012).]

nightonfire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2012 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Charlie64

check your pm's have some Authentic Ferrari Tail Lights that can help you finish up that rear end
hypo327

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2012 05:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hypo327Send a Private Message to hypo327Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just Gorgeous you guys!! Thanks for showing those nice pictures. I think I'm in love...lol! :-)
nightonfire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2012 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Charlie,

reponded to your PM
PFF
System Bot
OHNIKO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2012 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OHNIKOSend a Private Message to OHNIKOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sweet car & gr8 build; that was a fun read!

------------------
RATE ME IF YOU LIKE MY CRUISES!!!
1985 RED & SILVER CUSTOM GT 2.8 V6...IT LOOKS NICE!

Original 18" x 8" Motegi Roja's, 225-40-ZR18's front, 265-35-ZR18's rears, coil-overs, KYB shocks & struts, 2.5" drop, K&N filters, Holley side scoop, upgraded front & rear sway bars, poly, fully loaded, tinted, & some other nice custom stuff...

1985 GT SILVER CONVERSION PROJECT, 3800 SC SII powered, doesn't look as nice (yet), but it sure goes!

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2013 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Guru,

Please check your pm,

Thanks
zkhennings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2013 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your car looks awesome!
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2013 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks. I'm looking forward to taking it down to Daytona.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2013 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks. I'm looking forward to taking it down to Daytona.

Charlie if i get drool on your car at the show,,,,i apologize ahead of time.
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2013 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tony, how does this look for a concept that I'd like to become reality???

Here's the original...
zkhennings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2013 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really like the shorter wheelbase, like a Lancia Stratos

Here's the new one, based on a shortened Ferrari 430 chassis and engine. Looks agile and really good the way it is. I am sure it would look good either way of course, photoshop never does the final result justice.
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2013 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Meant to post this earlier this month, but here's a change I made to the car....

authentic Ferrari tail lights...the wiring and getting the bulb adapter plates to cooperate was challenging, but it works!!!

We even filled in the spaces in the bumper where my back up lights used to be. I think this gives it a much cleaner look.

Forgot to add this video as well. Was on my way home testing out my new GoPro Black Edition to see if it really did record as well as I was told in low light (and it does!) when this jerk in a 2013 5.0 GT kept annoying me. Where he turned off I was originally going to go straight until he decided to "take off" so I chased him down from 2nd gear. Pretty interesting how quickly I caught up with him. Couldn't shift into 4th and had to let up while in 3rd before ending up in his back seat. Pretty sure he got the point and got to find out his Mustang wasn't the speedster he thought it was. Notice he still had his turn signal on the whole time. Guess he was too busy watching me catch him that he forgot to turn off his signal...

[This message has been edited by Charlie64 (edited 02-24-2013).]

Squeaky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2013 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SqueakySend a Private Message to SqueakyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks sick man! How much hp do you figure your 3.8L SC puts out? I have a modded 3.4L DOHC and would love to run with those new 5.0L Mustang's.
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2013 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Haven't made it to the dyno yet , but the 2013 5.0 advertises 425hp with 390 tq. from the factory. We were doing that much if not more with the old engine. For me to have chased him down from 2nd gear after he had a head start.....

I'm just saying...

[This message has been edited by Charlie64 (edited 02-27-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2013 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good Charlie
Squeaky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2013 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SqueakySend a Private Message to SqueakyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Haven't made it to the dyno yet , but the 2013 5.0 advertises 425hp with 390 tq. from the factory. We were doing that much if not more with the old engine. For me to have chased him down from 2nd gear after he had a head start.....

I'm just saying...

'Nuff said, thats unbelievable! My DOHC won't be slow but there's no way I'll be nearly that zippy without forced induction, better start saving haha. Nicely done sir.

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2013 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Charlie not sure if you had seen or posted this one yet ??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0e6TsT-yMA
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2013 07:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No. I did not know this was out there. Thanks for sharing it I thought the guy was just taking pictures, but this is so much better

[This message has been edited by Charlie64 (edited 03-11-2013).]

TRiAD

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2013 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TRiADSend a Private Message to TRiADEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What an incredible thread!
It's like a great storyline from a good book or movie, all the twists and turns, the ups and downs...
...Even some good "beware" stories in there.

+ for you for sharing!
Thanks!

------------------
~Michael
'85 GT 4sp white - SOLD | | '85 2M6 Auto red - SOLD | | '84 2M4 bare chassis - SOLD
Crap, I'm out of Fieros! Time to buy another!! - "Your mileage may vary."

...Might be time to get back into the game...

Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2013 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TRiAD:

What an incredible thread!
It's like a great storyline from a good book or movie, all the twists and turns, the ups and downs...
...Even some good "beware" stories in there.

+ for you for sharing!
Thanks!

Thanks TRiAD. I've made some nice mods over the last few weeks in preparation for Daytona. Now all I have to do is get ready for my road trip down there

[This message has been edited by Charlie64 (edited 03-19-2013).]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2013 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Love the wheel choice, and the way that rear tire sticks out a bit
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2013 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2013 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Tony. It was indeed very nice to finally meet you in person as well. Thanks for the winning idea on the turn signals and LEDs. I'm still trying to convince my Northern VA Fiero crowd I'm actually down here and that the pictures I posted from the track are not Photoshop'd...lol.

Now that my car has been unveiled here at Daytona I can post what we've been doing with it over the last month. It started with a desire to change the stock park/turn lenses up front. I had thoughts of doing something like Troyboy or Curly, but that wasn't going to happen in the time we had available. I remembered seeing the setup Tony has on his car so he was nice enough to provide me with the details for the parts and where they were acquired. The guys at Maaco of Fairfax had taken my car in to "touch it up" before the show and were gracious enough to work with the additional project requirements. Colm, the owner of Maaco of Fairfax, also heavy into custom cars and paint, wanted me to be able to enjoy my car as much as possible up until showtime so the last weekend I had it was the first weekend in March. Looking back I should have brought it to him sooner because when I got to Cars & Coffee at Kohl's on March 3rd I had another mishap with my favorite quarter window and didn't find out until I got there.

That was #3 in less than 6 months. Fortunately Justin at the Fiero Store was able to get me a replacement in a timely manner.

While at Maaco here's what they did. While Bobby was making the cut-outs for the new turn/park lenses and LEDs Colm worked out a way to open up the mouth and improve cooling efficiency.

This nose clip was abandoned by a former employee. We're going to use this one for the next nose clip and blend it with the upper portion of a stock GT front facia. It would have been too labor intensive to try and get it done before showtime so this is on the shelf while I acquire another facia for this task.

Anyway, back to the cosmetic mods...in opening the mouth Colm decided to fabricate a baffle to direct airflow thru both the heat exchanger and the radiator. This involved adding a piece of sheet metal on the lower portion of the mouth to pull it down and open it up for the desired effect. In doing so it created a larger gap between the chin spoiler and the stock facia. To solve this we opted to fill in the gap and give it a "one piece" appearance so we wouldn't have to worry about the gap created once he stretched the mouth down to where it needed to be.

After some unforseen delays due to Bobby being sick...Colm and I got creative and pushed forward. On Friday the 15th Bobby had completed the nose mods and the car was ready to be painted at closing time. Steve, the painter, was generous enough to stay after hours and paint the car.

On Saturday the 16th, while the shop was closed, Colm and I worked on installing the lenses and a better mounting system for the tail lights so we wouldn't scratch the rear bumper any time I needed to replace the bulbs. When Steve returned on Monday he didn't like how some aspects of the fiberglass came out so he did some additional molding to make it more asymetrical.

And on the 19th here was the finished product...cut it pretty close didn't we???

Colm and Andy proud of the results.

I'll post more this evening from my trip down here and the show. For now it's time to get back to the Speedway!

[This message has been edited by Charlie64 (edited 03-24-2013).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 15 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock