Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Haus of Guru: The Ultimate Car Build Off (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 15 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Haus of Guru: The Ultimate Car Build Off by bmwguru
Started on: 01-29-2011 11:02 AM
Replies: 577 (43722 views)
Last post by: Charlie64 on 11-19-2017 09:51 PM
JesseM

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JesseMSend a Private Message to JesseMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you use windows, open up windows movie maker, and Just shink the filmstrip to the desired length... (If I recall correctly) and it will play faster... It is either that, or you add the effect... Anyways it is really simple and all windows computers should have this program.

Edit: Woot page 2 :]

[This message has been edited by JesseM (edited 01-31-2011).]

IP: Logged
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2011 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Time to post some pics from yesterday. The video will need to be edited and posted. I'm short on time now, so hopefully some time later this week.

Here is what is completed after day 1.

Engine is removed and engine bay is prepped and painted satin black. Normally, I remove the wiring harness with the engine, but because I need to modify it, I left it in the engine bay. We installed the solid cradle bushings and the bump steer kit. It took longer than expected to install the kit, but no biggie.
The engine and transmission were degreased and painted. The poly engine mounts were installed. We lost a few hours to repair the atrocious install of the swap. They thought it was easier to drill the cradle with a torch and we couldn't get any of the mounts to line up. They also cut the original engine mount bracket off and moved it closer to the front of the cradle. We had to reconstruct the cradle on that side and make it useable again.
I rebuilt the passenger side axle with new cv joints. I don't like aftermarket axles because the joints are much smaller than the original Fiero axles.
The clutch was replaced. It looked like a stock valeo clutch that was installed. The valve covers were painted.
Here are some pics....

The original exhaust manifold

Lunch.....

The list....

we found a lot of wasp nests all over the car...

the end of the day......

------------------

www.hausofguru.com

Finally_Mine_86_GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2011 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's a lot of work in one day! Lookin good guys! You sure your gonna need the whole week?

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2011 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmwguru:

That's gonna leave a stain
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2011 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lol, I hope it will wash off

Here are some pics from today. We still have a few hours to go, but I'm finally taking lunch....

Headers fiberglass wrapped and silicone coated to be cured at 400 degrees.

leakdown test and valve spring upgrade.

machined oil pump cover

double roller timing chain

camshaft being installed and lubed

battery relocation with new a/c hard lines from front to back

trunk shortened, welded and sealed

more pics in a little while with today's final update
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2011 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bmwguru

4692 posts
Member since Sep 2006
Here are some pics as we close out our day....

and the Guru.....

GuitarFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2011 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GuitarFieroClick Here to visit GuitarFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to GuitarFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Headers fiberglass wrapped and silicone coated to be cured at 400 degrees.

I can vouch for doing this also. The only problem is little tiny pieces of fiberglass will be all over the first few miles of driving no matter what. We painted (rather soaked with paint) the fiberglass and torched the inside for it to bake and this still happened.

------------------
"GuitarFiero" on YouTube
1987 Pontiac Fiero GT

Fastest 1/8th mile: 7.392 sec/94 MPH/1.582 sec 60'

Finally_Mine_86_GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2011 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Um... i have a question... Why not just make a battery box in the trunk if you were going to shorten it anyway? Less wiring and it's out of the way.

Something like here... Insulate and access panel it.

[This message has been edited by Finally_Mine_86_GT (edited 02-01-2011).]

Charlie64

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Texas wasp nests...wonder how those got there? Oh I remember...because my car sat at someone's house in northern Texas for 3 1/2 years instead of being worked on. Thanks for cleaning up the mess Dave!

[This message has been edited by Charlie64 (edited 02-02-2011).]

JesseM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JesseMSend a Private Message to JesseMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Damn you bastards work fast! :]

Oh and I love the Gandalf looking pipe smoking picture

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Finally_Mine_86_GT:

Um... i have a question... Why not just make a battery box in the trunk if you were going to shorten it anyway? Less wiring and it's out of the way.

Something like here... Insulate and access panel it.

Probably so there isn't a visible battery to be an eyesore... also it takes more weight from the back and moves it to the front for a better distribution of weight (as little as it may be lol...)

------------------
The H1 my father, brother and I built.
www.suburbangorilla.com

Facebook

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 05:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JesseM:

Damn you bastards work fast! :]

Oh and I love the Gandalf looking pipe smoking picture

It is funny you say that....I just ordered this pipe a few weeks ago....still waiting for it to arrive.

http://macqueenpipes.com/agaricus.aspx

Yesterday, around 4:45pm we found one of the rear strut mounting plates was egg shaped. Luckily, the Fiero Store's UPS cutoff was made and we will have the new one in our hands sometime this morning. Today, I plan to port the blower case and modify the wiring harness. Ryan plans to finish up the intercooler plumbing install and fabricate the rest of the exhaust. We'll play it by ear for the rest of the day.

Dave
PFF
System Bot
JesseM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JesseMSend a Private Message to JesseMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It is funny you say that....I just ordered this pipe a few weeks ago....still waiting for it to arrive.

Dave

That is totally awesome... I am a huge Tolkien fan. I was also into pipe smoking for a while :]
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is our list of setbacks.....quite common on any Fiero swap. When I say setback, I mean a problem that wasn't expected.

Monday setback....
The engine mounts didn't line up with the cradle because the cradle was cut and welded for the front engine mount bracket. We had to fabricate a way to use the stock Fiero poly mounts and keep the drivetrain straight.

Tuesday setback.....
Found strut mounts egg shaped not allowing us to assemble the rear coil overs on schedule.
Found ignition coils to have excessive corrosion on the secondary poles. Had to order new ignition coils

Wednesday setback......
Found the blower snout bearings to sound like sandpaper. Also, the snount shaft was cracked and previously welded, but starting to crack again. I had a spare snout shaft in stock and pressed new bearings onto it for this snout.

Dave

[This message has been edited by bmwguru (edited 02-02-2011).]

ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow! You guys know your Shlt... Good work!

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lunch time!!!!!

Here are a few pics....

Heat exchanger mounted....

F355 bumper from front....

Intercooler reservoir mounted using a Volkswagen coolant bottle. It is kept at the highest point and has a bleed off hose to constantly purge air.

A close up pic of the ball flares of the headers. I wanted them designed this way.

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks great, what part of the front did you mount the intercooler to?
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

Looks great, what part of the front did you mount the intercooler to?

Here is a better pic. The funky crap they use to hang garage doors is not from us, but from whoever put on the F355 bumper.

We are tired.....the engine is in....

Tomorrow, we plan to finish the exhaust, wiring harness, front suspension, tune the pcm, run the plumbing for the fuel, radiator, and intercooler, weld in the new dog bone support, and fabricate some ignition wires.

Dave
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here is a better pic. The funky crap they use to hang garage doors is not from us, but from whoever put on the F355 bumper.

Dave, can you come up with a superior mounting method for my fog lamps? I hope the people that did the original swap are reading this and taking note on how it's supposed to be done!

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Your work is amazing! It's an inspiration to us all.

Please keep the pictures coming. One can never have too many pics.
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here's how my car looked back in 2003 (pre-swap)

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

After the swap in 2004.

Seats from Mr. Mikes....took me some time....and a great deal of grip strength to do them...whew!

Wasn't too difficult doing the interior....ok...maybe it was...

This was the most fun part (calibrating the speedo)!

I didn't like the plain 11 1/4 Chrysler rotors so I installed these slotted and crossdrilled rotors. With all the power Dave's going to give my car I may have to upgrade to the 12" Brembo setup or the Wilwood 13" kit.

Here's what it looked like the day I shipped it to Loyde in July 2007

December 3, 2010 1/4 mile from Loyde's house after the rescue mission!

I spent over 2 weeks cleaning stuff out. Thought I would find some "critters" in the trunk. Did find evidence something was there.

My guess is these were this way because when I reclaimed my car during the initial inspection...the battery cover had been removed and was in the trunk. No telling how long it had been that way.

As you can all see from the pics Dave has been posting Team Guru has been going "balls to the walls" to make my car "right".

Hard to imagine they have gone from this on Monday morning....

...to this today!

Can't wait to see the videos Dave and what my car sounds like when you fire it up!

You guys ROCK!!!

[This message has been edited by Charlie64 (edited 02-02-2011).]

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wait a tick.... not to start a war or anything but this is another car that sat in the aybiss of loyds yard untouched for years? gezze nice save Dave.. keep up the good work.
PFF
System Bot
JPH87

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JPH87Send a Private Message to JPH87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All I can say is cool all the way around cool build cool concept with what happend to the owner previous. COOL
IwannaIRM

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IwannaIRMSend a Private Message to IwannaIRMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First off, great work Dave. Can't wait to see if you make your 5 day window.

Charlie64, who did the previous swap prior to taking your car to Loyde's? I am sure you don't want to turn this post into a flame war but if you had problems with the previous installer, then some of us who have swaps in mind for the future would like to know who to avoid.

What was wrong with your car prior to taking it to Loyde's? It looked pretty good (the car not so much the engine) and I am guessing it ran...or maybe not.

[This message has been edited by IwannaIRM (edited 02-03-2011).]

nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by IwannaIRM:

Charlie64, who did the previous swap prior to taking your car to Loyde's? I am sure you don't want to turn this post into a flame war but if you had problems with the previous installer, then some of us who have swaps in mind for the future would like to know who to avoid.

What was wrong with your car prior to taking it to Loyde's? It looked pretty good (the car not so much the engine) and I am guessing it ran...or maybe not.

X2- Inquiring minds want to know.
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

we found a lot of wasp nests all over the car...

Damn SILLY Northern's....Those are what you call dirt dobber nest made by none other that a dirt dobber not a wasp.....When you break the nest open you will find tons on dead insects that the baby dobbers feed on till they break out. A dirt dobber can build one of those nest fast and tons of them.......

Swap is looking good.......

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the compliments. We hit a major setback today. The wiring harness needs much more modifications to look show quality than I had expected. I've been working on it since 9am and still have many hours to go. I should have looked a little closer at it on our initial evaluation....it isn't hacked up or really a problem. Whoever designed the harness left all the automatic trans wiring and all the not needed wiring still in the harness. I also route my harness different to make it look cleaner, so rather than just reloomig and routing, I am basically building a new harness.
Dave
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post02-03-2011 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

Damn SILLY Northern's....Those are what you call dirt dobber nest made by none other that a dirt dobber not a wasp.....When you break the nest open you will find tons on dead insects that the baby dobbers feed on till they break out. A dirt dobber can build one of those nest fast and tons of them.......

Swap is looking good.......

Mud dauber (sometimes called "dirt dauber," "dirt digger," "dirt dobber," "dirt diver", or "mud wasp") is a name commonly applied to a number of wasps from either the family Sphecidae or Crabronidae that build their nests from mud. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mud_dauber

Yeah, they're cool, and very docile. Won't sting unless you really work hard to piss them off.

The rescue of this ride is looking good, can't wait to see it done! Is it going to get new paint as well?
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Remember you can probably sell that harness as a XXX brand harness fairly easily.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
end of the day on Day 4...

The rear bumper is back on....we removed it to TIG weld the entire exhaust so that there are no parts that are not stainless steel....also a cleaner weld....the 3 wasp nests were removed from there as well. The wiring harness is completed. Tomorrow we still have a lot to do, but should still have it done by the end of the day....hopefully

JesseM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JesseMSend a Private Message to JesseMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is it really day 4 already? good job guys, its pretty awesome that you guys can pull off this kind of work, and still A. be sane, as far as we know and B. maintain this level of quality.

Great Job!
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IwannaIRM:

The car had little quirks in the rear suspension and I was looking for more power than a stock configuration. Check your PMs about the other info.
Charles
PFF
System Bot
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Charlie64

396 posts
Member since Nov 2008

Originally posted by nosrac:

X2- Inquiring minds want to know.

Also, I drove the car from IL to VA....had an overheating issue which was solved with a 4 core radiator from V8Archie. Drove the car from VA to FLW, MO for a course I attended in 2005. No issues. Sent you a PM regarding the other question.
kyunderdawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kyunderdawgSend a Private Message to kyunderdawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OMG ! ! ! Dave, you and your crew are the $#@!.

Get these projects done so ya'll can come to KY.

Paul

[This message has been edited by kyunderdawg (edited 02-03-2011).]

Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mud dauber (sometimes called "dirt dauber," "dirt digger," "dirt dobber," "dirt diver", or "mud wasp") is a name commonly applied to a number of wasps from either the family Sphecidae or Crabronidae that build their nests from mud. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mud_dauber

Yeah, they're cool, and very docile. Won't sting unless you really work hard to piss them off.

The rescue of this ride is looking good, can't wait to see it done! Is it going to get new paint as well?[/QUOTE]

That's also in the works Jazz. Going to stick with black.
IwannaIRM

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IwannaIRMSend a Private Message to IwannaIRMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Charlie64:

The car had little quirks in the rear suspension and I was looking for more power than a stock configuration. Check your PMs about the other info.
Charles

thanks for the insight, I pm'd you back.

Once again, great work Dave, can't wait to see the video of the test drive and hear the exhaust note.
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to bring my wife's HD camcorder when I go up in a mere 15 days....but not like I'm counting Too bad I don't have an iPhone. I'd stream the video to youtube!

Bought her the camera for Christmas. She bought me a blender for making margaritas. Who were we really shopping for????
RACE

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageSend a Private Message to RACEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Guru, you look tired. Get some Sleep.

Amazing work. I'll tune in tomorrow to see what you have done. Be safe.
Finally_Mine_86_GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Look on the bright side Dave. This Dave was micro-soldering 36-40 AWG all day long today. 100 connections per item and got 6 done today. My eyes hurt and i bet yours does too. Snooze!
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 06:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didn't need to solder any of the wires. They were too long, so I cut them and repinned them with new pcm terminals.
II'm getting ready for our final day....hoping everything goes as planned.
Dave
Finally_Mine_86_GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 06:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wish you luck man.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 15 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock