Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Haus of Guru: The Ultimate Car Build Off (Page 12)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 15 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Haus of Guru: The Ultimate Car Build Off by bmwguru
Started on: 01-29-2011 11:02 AM
Replies: 577 (43758 views)
Last post by: Charlie64 on 11-19-2017 09:51 PM
Charlie64

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2012 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's very disappointing that no one makes the whipple SC kit for the 3800 anymore. Last option to get the most HP out of it would be a twin charge setup. Don't see that happening in the near future.
IP: Logged
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2012 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good news! Dave informed me he drove my car this afternoon. He's going to make some adjustments, but my car is finally back on the road
exoticse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2012 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

allllllllllright !! That is great news.

Now hurry up and get her home so you can get those bada** wheels on before Curly and i have a bling, bling meltdown.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2012 01:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pics, pics, pics!
ConvictedRedneck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2012 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Chance you'll make it to Lititz??
ConvictedRedneck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2012 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ConvictedRedneck

1034 posts
Member since Nov 2005

Originally posted by madcurl:

Pics, pics, pics!

Videos, videos, videos!

------------------

My turbo build

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2012 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmwguru:
Inside of one week after WCF failed to provide a clutch and flywheel (three months), Spec sent this to us at half the cost of WCF.

I understand keeping money "inside the Fiero community", but if a vendor can provide the part at half the cost, it's just not competitive. You should have stopped right there. When I build a product for my customer, I see it as my obligation to give him the best deal possible. (price/speed/quality)

Even if a vendor builds parts specifically for the Fiero, their pricing should be competitive with outside vendors. - Especially if the outside vendors are building parts for the Fiero as well. Outside vendors should support the Fiero as well, and if we don't order from 3rd party vendors, we won't have any 3rd party vendors catering to Fieros.

example: Even though I could just go ahead and by 3rd party Moog balljoints, I buy them through Rodney, because he IS competitive with 3rd party suppliers, and I support him. If his products were 2x, or 3x as expensive, I'd buy Moog. (as the products are about the same quality) (note: I wouldn't buy a cheap chinese knockoff, just because it's cheaper, since the quality doesn't match my requirement)

/soapbox
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2012 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Austrian Import:

I understand keeping money "inside the Fiero community", but if a vendor can provide the part at half the cost, it's just not competitive. You should have stopped right there. When I build a product for my customer, I see it as my obligation to give him the best deal possible. (price/speed/quality)

Even if a vendor builds parts specifically for the Fiero, their pricing should be competitive with outside vendors. - Especially if the outside vendors are building parts for the Fiero as well. Outside vendors should support the Fiero as well, and if we don't order from 3rd party vendors, we won't have any 3rd party vendors catering to Fieros.

example: Even though I could just go ahead and by 3rd party Moog balljoints, I buy them through Rodney, because he IS competitive with 3rd party suppliers, and I support him. If his products were 2x, or 3x as expensive, I'd buy Moog. (as the products are about the same quality) (note: I wouldn't buy a cheap chinese knockoff, just because it's cheaper, since the quality doesn't match my requirement)

/soapbox

It was more that WCF claimed to have a complete kit...tested and all the bugs worked out. I built Michael's project CR3810N turbo/F40 and the only issues we are having are from the F40 install parts. I didn't want to have to R&D a trans setup on this car, but it is already done, driving and now I have the formula needed to make a F40 work with a 3800.

I'll be posting up some videos later today or tomorrow.

Dave
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2012 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took about 6 videos, but driving in Howell is pretty boring....and I need better video editing software. Here is a quick video of me going to the gas station...lol. If all goes well, this car will be back in Charlie's hands very soon.

Here is the final mod list:

3800s/c gen V blower with 3.0" pulley. 42lb injectors. ZZP stage 3 heads. XP hot camshaft, handmade custom headers with Magnaflow muffler, 77mm Northstar throttle body, ZZP full size intercooler, Devil's Own methanol injection, F40 G6 6 speed manual transmission with aluminum flywheel.

The 2.8" pulley was not very good on the Gen V blower. The injectors couldn't keep up and the blower was falling off too early. It pulls harder with the 3.0" pulley and we are running 18 degrees of timing at WOT with no KR.

[This message has been edited by bmwguru (edited 09-16-2012).]

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2012 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bmwguru

4692 posts
Member since Sep 2006
here are pics from the last page.....I am impressed that my luck at matching the yellow powercoating to the exterior paint is a pretty close match.
All I can say is that it is a fun car to drive!

Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2012 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2012 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took Charlie's car to the outskirts of town and took some pics near the abandoned factory and other rural areas. I've probably put about 300 miles on this car in the past two days.

[This message has been edited by bmwguru (edited 09-16-2012).]

ConvictedRedneck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2012 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks great and sounds like it drives awesome. The gearing on the F40 doesn't sound nearly as short as everyone seems to indicate.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2012 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the gearing feels very close to the Getrag.
jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2012 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the ride in my old state of NJ. .nice video.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2012 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, Charlie's car was ready to go home and it started getting slower. I did a compression test and leakdown test and our worst fear had come true....we lost cylinder #6.

The sad part is it was still faster than most 3800 Fiero's on only 5 cylinders.

I spent two days and got a low mileage series III short block and switched all his parts over. Since Charlie is a good friend and customer (even with his Mercedes-Benz), I bought him a present for his short block as long as we were digging that far...The XZP cam.

All assembled and ready to drop back in...

Should be on the road again Monday. We also modified Spec's slave cylinder shim. It rattled really bad. If I have to do another 3800s/c/F40, I will either make my own shim or make my own flywheel.

Dave

[This message has been edited by bmwguru (edited 09-29-2012).]

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2012 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bmwguru

4692 posts
Member since Sep 2006
I smoke test every engine for vacuum leak before I drop it in. The ZZP aluminum valve covers seem to interfere with the 42lb injectors and sometimes have o-ring leaks.....just keep an eye out for that if you are running that combo.

Dave
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2012 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I went tothe shop this morning and installed the drivetrain. I pulled the fuel pump fuse and cranked it until I got oil pressure. Installed the fuse and it fired right up....and sounded mean. I'll be playing with the Go-Pro this week with this swap and another swap that I am almost done with...should be good for a few videos.
Dave
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2012 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now that's what I call dedication. This whole experience has been very enlightening. When I had the original swap done back in 2004 I was told the engine came out of a 2004 Grand Prix. I was not aware back then that 2004 and up GPs had the series III engine. Our best guess is the original swap came from an 02 or older with quite possibly a lot of miles. At least now I can say it has been done right!

When Dave said he had a surprise for me had no idea what he was talking about, but very pleased with what he's done. I won't be able to attend the Lititz show this year since I'll be traveling, but Dave knows he's more than welcome to take my car there and "REPRESENT" if he decides it's ready. Hoping to make Pete's next cruise and pick up a camera like Dave's. Guess I'll go stare at my wheels still in the boxes in my shed and drool over my tires at the tire shop.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2012 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
your original pcm came from a 1999 Grand Prix. I can't be sure if that was the year of your motor, but it was definitely a series II. The 2004 Grand Prix's can have a block stamped series II, but will have the series III blower and heads.
The replacement engine was from a 2005 Grand Prix. The junkyard was baffled when I told them that I would be stripping it down to the short block and I wanted a "professional warranty"....basically my word that if there was an issue with the short block, they would not try and say it was my fault. I had to get the motor built and running in a reasonable amount of time for this as well. I performed a leakdown test on it and it runs nice....so we should be set.

Dave
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2012 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
U Going to Dyno it? Should be >350WHP.
PFF
System Bot
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2012 05:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yeah, it will definitely be dyno'ed. I am expecting a bit more than 350whp when it is said and done.

I expect the tuning to be complete today or tomorrow.

Here is the mod list again.

Gen V supercharger with 3.0" or 2.8" pulley...not sure yet.
full size intercooler
methanol injection with 7gph nozzle
ZZP stage 3 cylinder heads with oversize valves and 130lb springs
XPZ cam with double roller timing chain
custom hand made headers with 1 5/8" primaries to 3" collector
77mm Northstar throttle body
42lb injectors (hoping they don't max out)
ZZP fuel pump
Cold Air intake
Haus of Guru tuning
Spec aluminum flywheel and stage 3+ clutch

nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2012 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What Fuel pump you guys are running and did you do the voltage mod? That will also determine if the injectors need to be upgraded to 60#?
I never had an issue with my 42.5 and I was running 12.0 1/4 mile when I was SC'ed. Although, that was probably attributed to more 4T65e-HD than WHP.
I hope the F40 holds up well and can put the HP to the pavement as it sure looked good on that test drive.
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2012 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Considering justin makes almost double on 44lb injectors without meth injection you have problems if you Max out 42.5s at 350whp.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2012 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
that is good to know. I expect to see 400whp with these mods, but we will see....I'm hoping the hype with the XZP cam is based on reality. I've been tuning the car and the power is the most I have felt from a s/c 3800.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2012 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
double post

[This message has been edited by darkhorizon (edited 10-02-2012).]

mptighe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2012 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So... got any more Go Pro footage? When is the car going back to Charlie? Will it be gone when I come for mine?

[This message has been edited by mptighe (edited 10-03-2012).]

carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2012 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmwguru:

Nothing like taking the long way to the gas station! I loved it!
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2012 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And from what we learned this was with the series II engine and on 5 cylinders. Anxious to drive it with the series III engine and all the upgrades. Right now Dave has it at the MAFOA Fall Show in Lititz, PA.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2012 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is the final mod list and it is ready to go home.....

Gen V supercharger with 2.9" pulley
full size intercooler
methanol injection with 5gph nozzle
ZZP stage 3 cylinder heads with oversize valves and 130lb springs
XPZ cam with double roller timing chain
custom hand made headers with 1 5/8" primaries to 3" collector
77mm Northstar throttle body
42lb injectors
ZZP fuel pump
Cold Air intake
Haus of Guru tuning
Spec aluminum flywheel and stage 3+ clutch

Now I read on another thread that the owner of a Fiero got pissed because his car was used for daily driving by the builder. WHAT DO YOU THINK I AM DOING????? I think I added close to 750 miles on Charlies car since he last saw it. I also changed the pulley, tuning and meth nozzle size quite a few times to get the best balance. I finally finished the last bit of tuning in my spare time this week and I don't think I can make it any better so it is done.

Here is how I spent my evening driving home......not sure if I was testing the drivetrain or the radio out....lol.

Sorry about the camera angle.....I was worn out from the work week. Reference note: that is a 200mph speedo and I had it OVER 100MPH on that one backroad.

[This message has been edited by bmwguru (edited 10-13-2012).]

Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2012 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is that all the miles you put on it? I thought you said you were going to "drive" it. 750....7500...like I have an issue with that. Dave, you have essentially built me a new car from the shell of everything we tried to salvage. I guess sitting up for over 3 years as one of Loyde's yard decorations did more damage than we expected. That and the fact the engine was much older than I was led to believe during the original swap. When you tell me the car has your seal of approval...I'm good. Til then...drive it....shoot more video...enjoy the sound system (I guess one of the contributions I did right ) Great video. Looks like you're enjoying it way too much Anxious to see the dyno results.
PFF
System Bot
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2012 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Charlie,

Tell us about your sound system.

When do you hope to have the car back ?

Haus how far are you from Newark ?? I spent last week there, and did not even remember you were in N.J.. I would have loved to have seen this car in person,...although my wife probably would have killed me as it was supposed to be a couple's vacation hehehe.
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2012 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Tony. Got all the details regarding the sound system on page 9 of the thread. Of course my favorite part was all the audio shops that told me I couldn't do it. Amateurs.

We're looking at Thursday for pick up. Dave is still in Lakewood, NJ. You should be able to see my car at Daytona next year.

[This message has been edited by Charlie64 (edited 10-13-2012).]

1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2012 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Really excited to see these mounted!

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2012 05:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1988holleyformula:

Really excited to see these mounted!

I think we all are salivating over that.
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2012 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The tire shop has been giving me grief about having my tires since May. I'm set for the install Friday morning.
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2012 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm all set to get on the train and pick up my car from Dave tomorrow I went to the tire shop yesterday and they were mounted the front wheels and tires without incident. They unfortunately were unable to mount the rear tires on the wheels. First...the wheels were too wide for their equipment. Second...they didn't have one of the new "high tech" tire mounting machines like the Auto34. After many attempts and an unfortunate accident one of the rear tires suffered a torn sidewall.

They immediately ordered a replacement which is due to arrive tomorrow. After doing some research last night I found found out about the Auto34 Tire Changer and this morning contacted one of our local auto shops, Curry's Auto Service, who has this machine and asked them if they would be able to do the install the massive rear tires on my 11.5" wheels. I brought them the the wheels and the remaining rear tire. They had it done in about 4 minutes.

I was informed the wheel balance was almost perfect without any weights added. Cudos to Forgeline. Had them balance the front wheels with the same results. I plan to follow up with NTB regarding the replacement tire due in tomorow so I can bring it to Curry's Friday morning. I'll see if they won't mind me shooting video of them mounting the remaining tire.

One more night and a wake up and these will be on my car.....FINALLY!!!!!

Sorry for the photo quality. Guess my iPod only takes great pictures when there's plenty of light.

[This message has been edited by Charlie64 (edited 10-18-2012).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2012 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wow !!!
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2012 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Double wow!!!
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2012 05:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
triple wow!!!

[This message has been edited by bmwguru (edited 10-18-2012).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 15 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock