Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Haus of Guru: The Ultimate Car Build Off (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 15 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Haus of Guru: The Ultimate Car Build Off by bmwguru
Started on: 01-29-2011 11:02 AM
Replies: 577 (43722 views)
Last post by: Charlie64 on 11-19-2017 09:51 PM
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since I have been a big fan of the show on the Discovery Channel, and there isn’t a season 2 coming out, I decided to make our next swap more interesting.
Here is the deal:

The car:
1987 GT 5 speed
Two technicians/fabricators
Five days to build the car. January 31st to February 4th

A little history:
This car sat at Loyde’s Fast Fieros in Texas from July 17, 2007 to December 3, 2010 untouched and waiting for the mods we are about to do. Charles (the owner) has been without his baby for a long time and I wanted to show him how the Guru’s team can get this done promptly and accurately.

The build:

Remove the existing stock 3800s/c to turn it into a show quality high horsepower car

The mods:
RD poly mounts
RD upgraded slave cylinder
RD dog bone
4” cold air intake
Guru ported blower case and lower intake manifold
Guru custom pcm tune
Guru custom a/c hose
Guru low mount alternator and dog bone….the existing dog bone mount has been cut out, so we will weld a new one into the Fiero
ZZP 3.25” supercharger pulley
ZZP short stack intercooler using G12 coolant instead of Dexcool….G12 is Volkswagen red coolant. Custom intercooler fill using a Volkswagen coolant reservoir
ZZP front mount water to air heat exchanger
42.5 Lucas injectors
Northstar throttle body
NGK TR6 spark plugs
XP Hot cam with 105lb springs and timing chain
Vens Autosports 304 stainless steel headers….fabricated by Ryan who works for me full time. These headers are custom made for the 3800 into the Fiero. They flow better than the aftermarket ones that are not designed for the Fiero chassis. We can make them either drop to the front or back depending on your preference. They use 1 5/8” primary pipe into a 2.5” collector to the Y-pipe. The Y-pipe has a 3” outlet. The complete exhaust will be stainless steel…..a Magnaflow stainless steel muffler and ending with Corvette C6 exhaust tips. To get my approval for these headers, they not only had to flow, the spark plugs had to be easy to service....which is by biggest problem with aftermarket headers.
Headers are ceramic coated and will be fiberglass wrapped and silicone coated then baked with the wrap
Relocate battery to the front trunk with our custom battery low mount battery tray.
Custom engine cooling system fill point with low temp thermostat
Spec stage 3 clutch…..say what you want about Spec, but I have had zero issues with their clutches. I follow the break in procedure to the T.
Wiring harness modifications and tuck
Low mount ignition coil with hidden wires
ZZP return less Billet fuel logs with hidden fuel pressure regulator and AN braided hose
Engine and transmission to be painted
Remove firewall insulation and paint engine bay satin black
Oil service with 5w40 synthetic oil and a Bosch oil filter
Transmission fluid service with Synchromesh

Suspension and chassis mods:
Shortened trunk
Held Motorsports bump steer kit
Koni shocks and struts
Rear coil overs
New front hubs and repack wheel bearings
RD solid cradle bushings

Front lowering springs
New rims and tires
Four wheel alignment

Other mods:
I need to rebuild the passenger side axle with new CV joints
New a/c hard lines from the rear to the front because the last one to work on the car cut and hacked them up.
New passenger side coolant pipe….our initial evaluation showed that it was crushed sometime during it’s life.
Front radiator hoses to be replaced

The fuel:

Two cases of Arizona RX Energy herbal tonic
Sleep MD
Our shop’s gym to pump some iron when we hit the wall
Joey’s homemade chili with some ghost pepper hot sauce
8oz of Boswell’s “Christmas Cookie” pipe tobacco for Dave and “Maple Leaf” for Ryan (Canadian’s love their maple, eh)
A few cases of dark beer for the evenings

The prep: (this is what was done prior to the five day period)
Order every single part down to the nut and bolt to get this swap completed.
Fabricate the stainless steel headers and cross over pipe. Ceramic coat the headers.
Fabricate the low mount alternator bracket for the Grand Prix alternator
Fabricate the thermostat housing

That is about it. Everything else will be done in the week. I have all the shop’s phone calls forwarded to voicemail and the doors will be locked. Tons of pics and videos will be posted.

Here are a few to start this off:

The parts list....yes, that is our gym and kitchen in the background.

The fuel.....

our thermostat housing....

Ryan TIG welding the headers....

Guru low mount alternator bracket....powdercoated too.

Much more to come.......

------------------

www.hausofguru.com

[This message has been edited by bmwguru (edited 01-29-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroguy123

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What an awesome idea!!! Sure I can't come and spectate for 5 days? Lol

------------------
May the Lord guide me where I must go. May the Fiero get me there in style

Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This really needs to be forwarded to Discovery Channel after you are done! I'll bring my wife's camcorder when I come up in a few weeks.
JesseM

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JesseMSend a Private Message to JesseMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How great would it be to involved with this build!

WOO WOO WOO WOO! GO TEAM GURU!
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, good luck!

Thats going to be a hectic 5 days!

ace5514

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW,
now i know you have the ability to get er done...but my question is........
how the heck did you get Loyde to release the HOSTAGE ????
and do you think he will release anymore...lol
al
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
SWEET!!!

Are you going to make up a cool design sketch, like Chip Foose does for the Overhaulin' show?

AkursedX

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sweet! I really like the things you guys do. Im really glad we got guys like you out there producing some sweet Fieros! Ill be watching this thread as close as all your other builds!

------------------
'88 GT- 3800 Turbo 11.367@121.03mph
FOR SALE
GM Tuners

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BTW, I see no mention of music selections, to keep you psyched up. I humbly suggest "1320" by Megadeth, from their Endgame album.
Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is great. Go Haus of Guru!

[This message has been edited by Rick 88 (edited 01-29-2011).]

Finally_Mine_86_GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Aw man... i wish i had the vacation time from work to come down and watch! Aught to be awesome! How about a pre-insanity set of pics of the car the way it sits?
PFF
System Bot
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ace, let's just say he realized he had no alternative.
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Charlie64:

Would be nice if the same thing could be done for Will, but I don't want to ruin this thread with talk about that. Good luck Dave, I will be watching very closely!
ALLTRBO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You guys are crazy!

Subscribed...

------------------

'88 Fiero GT - Project MIDTRBO
'10 Camaro LT/RS - daily driver
'96 Talon TSi AWD - 11-second winter beater
There's no replacement for turbo placement

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
here are some before pics:

Note the exhaust has been blocked off and is ran towards the front. I'm surprised the KR wasn't through the roof because the exhaust seems to run back into itself before it dumps into the down pipe.

Here are some pics of the header fabrication using a test block and heads:

Alibi

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AlibiSend a Private Message to AlibiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This looks like a fun thread
mptighe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hulki U. My-BFF:

Would be nice if the same thing could be done for Will, but I don't want to ruin this thread with talk about that. Good luck Dave, I will be watching very closely!

I was going to say the same thing. I hope WIll is reading this, maybe it will motivate him to go get his car.
kevin

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmwguru:

Man I like that picture....Good looking headers too...

ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:
Man I like that picture....

Me too, but it has nothing to do with the fact that my car is in it.

Oh, and ten points to anyone who can spot the irony.

[This message has been edited by ALLTRBO (edited 01-29-2011).]

twofatguys

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ALLTRBO:

Me too, but it has nothing to do with the fact that my car is in it.

Oh, and ten points to anyone who can spot the irony.

All the car flags, and it's all Pontiacs in the shop. Fiero's anyway.

Brad
PFF
System Bot
ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know which one is yours.....
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post01-29-2011 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You guys kill me! Awesome garage! Seriously.

Tony
Finally_Mine_86_GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think that might be the "act right" stick!

The laptop looks to be a thinkpad... i'm guessing X series. Looks almost like the X60 i sold not too long ago. I restore thinkpads from time to time. Nothing beats the X41T i use daily though.

[This message has been edited by Finally_Mine_86_GT (edited 01-29-2011).]

katatak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

Man I like that picture....Good looking headers too...

I agree 110% - All those Audi, Mercedes and VW banners - nothing but Fieros! My new background!

Great Idea and Thread Guru. Good Luck!
ace5514

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2011 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Charlie64:

i like the way you operate. good luck with the build! i'll be watching (and drooling most likely.)

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2011 07:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

You guys kill me! Awesome garage! Seriously.

Tony

Tony, you spotted our mascot, Winkie.
I try to pose him in the background of some of the pics just to see if anyone notices. There were only a handful of members that knew I did that until this thread came out.....
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum6/HTML/079932.html
He is also on the welder in the background of the last pic of the headers.

[This message has been edited by bmwguru (edited 01-30-2011).]

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2011 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bmwguru

4692 posts
Member since Sep 2006
Thanks for the compliments on the shop. I wish I could have posted the pics when it was cleaner, but with our crazy work week and lots of snow, salt and ice, the shop is a mess. We did wash the one bay that the black GT is in because we were working on a BMW E46 that the owner supplied his own DSC pump and module and we had to put in three before we got one that worked.....so let's just say that there was a lot of brake fluid on the ground.
Normally, you could eat off the floor.

The shop pics were taken at the end of the day. All the German cars that are staying over the next week were locked up outside. The Jetta TDI is inside parked under Alltrbo's car. The other cars are mine.....the orange and black V8, the VR6 Fiero and my gold GT 3800s/c that is getting another 100whp added to it this winter.

I am very excited to start off the week tomorrow.

Dave
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2011 07:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmwguru:

You need a Pontiac flag
http://www.bflags.com/pontiacflags.htm

[This message has been edited by Gokart Mozart (edited 01-30-2011).]

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2011 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I should get a Pontiac flag. I finally have my regular customers actually respecting the Fiero. Four years ago, they kinda stuck their nose up about my cars, but either their opinion has changed or I have better customers now.
Dave
PFF
System Bot
whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2011 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dave, this is great. I am glad to see that things do come back from the dead (or Texas as it were)
keep up the great work.
D.
Finally_Mine_86_GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2011 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
See i was right... "Act right" stick. I've noticed that thing in a lot of pics. Just too funny!

Can't wait to see this.
AkursedX

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2011 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The 'act right' stick is in the background of this pic too....

------------------
'88 GT- 3800 Turbo 11.367@121.03mph
FOR SALE
GM Tuners

Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2011 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dave, is this your way of saying my car is going to have "balls".
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 05:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe that your car will have balls....

Less than two hours until the start of our day. I don't expect to post the pics until tonight....and depending on how the videos come out as well. I'd like to take a video of us dropping the engine out and editing it into one of those "fast play" vids (can't remember the proper name).
My average time to drop a fiero engine from start to finish is an hour, fifteen minutes. With two of us, we should have it out in under 45 minutes.....if no bolts are rusted, stripped or seized.
Dave
Finally_Mine_86_GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 06:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Time lapse is what your looking for.
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 06:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sweet~I love these types of builds! Another thread I can follow while on my trip! Guys good luck on the build and I am sure the owner will be uber appreciative since he has run into a few roadbloacks along the way (as I recall).
kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 07:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just wanted to toss my two cents in. Great idea and thanks for helping out a fellow in need. You guys are top notch
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Took a video of pulling out the drivetrain. 34 minute long video (not too shabby) with some comedy for the first few minutes. I'll find a way to edit it later and post up a link.
Dave
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 15 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock