Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Any REAL interest in a widebody kit? (Page 9)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 25 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Any REAL interest in a widebody kit? by Archie
Started on: 02-16-2007 01:24 PM
Replies: 982 (123941 views)
Last post by: FieroFastBackL67 on 11-16-2015 02:58 PM
exoticse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2007 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Great how to write up !
IP: Logged
Sleepy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2007 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SleepySend a Private Message to SleepyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great work Archie, from another anxious "Arch-Notch Widebody" lurker!
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2007 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So far I've got about 360 pictures of this body kit & it's installation. Right now Kris is working on the final body work on the drivers side of the car. That means that I'm running about 2 days behind on this build thread. Because this will be complete by the end of the week, I've got to post a lot today to bring this thread into real time. (No I won't be posting all those pics)

Here we're putting the rocker panel back on. Throughout this process the rocker is held on with just 3 screws & it's been real secure. Once we're done we'll use a couple more screws & also bolt the underside edge of the rocker to the chassis flange near the coolant pipes.

Here we're putting the fender cap back on.

Then we bolt it to the rocker panel & see what it looks like.....

Now we install the Door Cap with self tapping screws, that flange along the bottom of the Door Cap is to give us a good surface to use to fiberglass the cap to the door panel......

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2007 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999
The passenger side of the car is now ready to do the fiberglassing operation. But first we'll go to the driver's side & install all the paneld in basically the same way.

While we have the driver's side Fender Cap off o the car to drill the holes for bolting it to the rocker panel, we'll do the gas cap door install into the Fender Cap.

We also needed to open up the original gas door opening in the Fiero fender......

Someone asked earlier about the gas cap door opening, this is what it looks like when finished....

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2007 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999

We also test fitted the inner wheel well liner. There are no fasteners in it in these pics because final install will be after the car is painted. But it fits pretty good.....

Later, Archie
Doc John

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2007 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doc JohnSend a Private Message to Doc JohnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks Good! Now squeeze an LS-2 into it.
Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2007 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:
Pay no nevermind to Sage, He's part of a small conspiracy trying to put me out of business by saying stuff like that.

Archie

Ah, cmn' Archie, a conspiracy of one???LOL I said a BONUS, not a raise. Just a little something "extra" for a job well done! That ain't gonna bust ya up!

I was actually thinking about throwing some MORE business your way.

You have my respect and admiration for having done what you do for as long as you have, and I don't know anyone else that comes up with as much and as good new stuff and support for the Fiero community as V8Archie.

Project is looking super!

HAGO!
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2007 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sage:

Ah, cmn' Archie, a conspiracy of one???LOL I said a BONUS, not a raise. Just a little something "extra" for a job well done! That ain't gonna bust ya up!

I was actually thinking about throwing some MORE business your way.

You have my respect and admiration for having done what you do for as long as you have, and I don't know anyone else that comes up with as much and as good new stuff and support for the Fiero community as V8Archie.

Project is looking super!

HAGO!

Thanks Sage, Compliments like that coming from someone with your Fiberglass skills makes my day.

Archie
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2007 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999

Originally posted by Doc John:

Looks Good! Now squeeze an LS-2 into it.

You never know.

Archie
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2007 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Damn it is looking good I am in middle of installing stage2s and custom side rails i might have to go one further and look at some of these pieces.
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2007 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now it's time to start the fiberglassing.

WE first grind down the area where we will be laying up the fiberglass.

When working on the side of the car, we usually like to hang some paper & use some tape to keep some of the drippings off of areas where we don't want it to be.

We then layup 2 layers of fiberglass matting several hours apart.....

PFF
System Bot
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2007 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999

We sand off the high spots....

Then we fill & sand 'til smooth.....

The fiberglassing & filling & sanding is a lot easier than you might think. You just need to take your time & think quality.

That's about it, you are now caught up to where we're at today.

More tomorrow.

Archie
Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2007 06:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks Sage, Compliments like that coming from someone with your Fiberglass skills makes my day.

Archie

Welcome.

HAGO!
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2007 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We put a little White primer on the car over the weekend to see what it would look like all one color.

These panels are now officially for sale. We have 3 sets of them in stock already.

This donor car is also for sale. I'll do an inspection of the car today to tell you the overall condition of the chassis, driveline & interior.

Archie
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2007 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999
Next, we fit the panels to a Notchie.

We've already pulled the donor car into the shop.

More on this car tonight.

Archie
RUNDLC

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2007 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RUNDLCSend a Private Message to RUNDLCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
pm sent on donor car
MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2007 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dang.... you're making my wallet hurt looking at that! I just had the car painted a couple of years ago already
chrisgtp

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2007 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chrisgtpSend a Private Message to chrisgtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
who woo lets see that n-back
8Ball

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 162
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2007 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One small additional part that I think you should make as an option for the kit, How about smooth replacements for the molding along the front fender/bumper ? Something that would snap/screw into place where the original strip would be.
Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2007 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
this may be somewhere in the thread but it just occurred to me, is there any allowance for tire width? if i can get to the end of my project i'm looking at 275's probaly, with 305 or 315's being about the most i can do (on 17x10's. i have two sets with two different offsets). since i'll only be trying to get a rear facia maybe i can mess with it some, or do i have to get into madcurl territory on the widths to keep the wheel from looking swallowed up in the wheelwell?
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2007 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Philphine:

this may be somewhere in the thread but it just occurred to me, is there any allowance for tire width? if i can get to the end of my project i'm looking at 275's probaly, with 305 or 315's being about the most i can do (on 17x10's. i have two sets with two different offsets). since i'll only be trying to get a rear facia maybe i can mess with it some, or do i have to get into madcurl territory on the widths to keep the wheel from looking swallowed up in the wheelwell?

Prior to the build, Archie, Troyboy and I were going over the details regarding the rear widths. The conclusion was: 10.5" with 11" being the ideal sweet spot (#020 chopper), and 12" on the Dubbish. Troyboy's 20x12 where placed on #020 widebody and it cleared (using washer since the center piece [3-piece] rim was made for a Corvetter rotor). A 275 (9-10" width max) tire is babyish on the widebody. A 275 is used on #011 chopper and it's not a widebody.

Example of a 275 on a 9.5" rim/widebody #015

Notice that the tire/rim is sucked in.

IMO I'd use a 305/325/345 tire ranges.

Example of a 325/25/20 on a 10.5" rim: Different kit, but you get the point.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 07-23-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2007 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:
A 275 (9-10" width max) tire is babyish on the widebody...
Example of a 275 on a 9.5" rim/widebody #015

Yep too small.

Widebody and 10"+ rims go together like beans and cornbread. Red beans and rice, Chicken and dumplings... I think I need to go eat
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2007 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A little peek at the Notchie.......

Someone wanted to see it with just the bumper on......

Here is a little preview of the body panels on a notchie. None of these panels are actually bolted on yet, they are just sitting on the car.

The fender caps will have to be reshaped back by the tail lights but all in all they seem to fit pretty good.

Archie
The Funkmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2007 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Forgive me if this was covered earlier in the thread, but in the back of the GT, where the fender caps meet the taillights, is that part going to mold into the tail or are they to stay that way? Not that it looks bad, just curious.

------------------

Gold 1986 GT 2.9L, Getrag 5

Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2007 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

A little peek at the Notchie.......

Someone wanted to see it with just the bumper on......

thanks. i already have irm's on the car i'd want to try this on and the cap part might not work either since someone has altered that part of the car already too, but this gives me a clue as to how i might be able to play with the bumper to get it to work with whats been done already. thanks again.
Fiero2m8

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2007 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice work Archie - nice to see you are selling the widebody as a kit!

Ryan

------------------

1986 Fiero2m8 (LT1 NX / 4T60 Roadster Build)
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/071642.html

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2007 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ok, so did you guys like the wide body GT version??????

OK, so help me name it..........

I'd like to name the GT version of this WideBody Kit something besides " WideBody Kit.

So we need name suggestions.......

A little more info to help name it.

Remember that the Rockers, the fender capsa & the rear bumper are complete exact copies of the parts that we have put on Curley's car #20 Chopper AKA The Arch Rival. That being said it is very posible that someone will buy a set of these panels, put them on their car, paint the car & be driving the car before Curls turns the 1st wheel on #20. So if you're that person, you mat want to name them after yourself. You know people could be driving replicas of Curley's car before it even gets finished. Kinda like the Chinese version of Harry Potter.

So, let's see some names.

Archie
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2007 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999

Originally posted by The Funkmaster:

Forgive me if this was covered earlier in the thread, but in the back of the GT, where the fender caps meet the taillights, is that part going to mold into the tail or are they to stay that way? Not that it looks bad, just curious.

That's a tough one. We discussed this for a long time today. We are going to do something with it in the next 2 days, but we're open to suggestions. However I need the suggestions right away because we are doing this real soon.

Let's hear your suggestions.

Archie
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2007 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999
I was asked a couple of times today how much we were selling this Gt WideBody donor car for & what condition the car was in. I'll PM that info out tomorrow.

Also, I've done a lot of calculations on wheel sizes between this car, Curley's car & The Perfect Union. I'll be posting a summary of that information as it applies to the wheel sizes that will fit this car tomorrow.

Archie
mtownfiero

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2007 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mtownfieroSend a Private Message to mtownfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
do you have any idea on what the price of the notchie kit will be. I think im just going to have to get that.
toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2007 01:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have always been biased towards "the notch" and the wide body kit on it is A-W-E-S-O-M-E!!!

If you put that one in primer, I might be tempted to take one of the pics to the digital shop. Three inches off the top, rollin on dubs, and candy-coated...

------------------
toddshotrods.com - wanna ride?
crazy projects, features, articles, art & more

[This message has been edited by toddshotrods (edited 07-24-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2007 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

As far as the name goes i personally think it should have some reference to Curly.

It was actually his idea and design that the kit was made from so i think that would at least be somewhat proper ?

Sort of like the Warber hood.

How about one of these ?

MCA Widebody Kit (MCA standing for Madcurl/Archie) - sort of like IRM widebody

Curly Kit

Mad widebody

The Madcurl Kit
FieroGTRwideboby

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2007 03:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTRwidebobyClick Here to visit FieroGTRwideboby's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTRwidebobyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Names huh, this is one of the most important parts of the kit.

MadArch Widebody

March (?) hehe or Marck Widebody

-Alex
LeviM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2007 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LeviMSend a Private Message to LeviMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I kind of like the
MadArch - fieroGTRwidebody and
MCA widebody - exoticse
names.
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2007 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

MCA Widebody Kit (MCA standing for Madcurl/Archie) - sort of like IRM widebody

I like this... it sounds very "clean & professional"
aji

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2007 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ajiSend a Private Message to ajiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Brian Lamberts:

You know as well as I do what a Finale/Fino costs. And my point is that a grand or two is a good start on getting to that magic 5 grand for the kit (and a grand or two or three for the paint.)

And I know there are guys here that seem to have unlimited funds to toss into their 20 year old cars. There are lots of us that don't, tho, too. And everything we do gets finely scrutinized for cost and benefit.

My choice, especially when it comes to body stuff is to have a fairly cutting edge look. I'd be more likely to spend 5 grand on one of Archie's rebody kits than spend $400 for an integrated rocker panel kit, or that silly ZR2 stuff that Pisa sells. And if they hadn't come as part of a mostly piece of crap 86 SE I bought last spring, I wouldn't have them. I wouldn't spend a dime on a faux countach, ferarri, or gt40 kit either. We all have our own tastes, Archies car kits have much more one off look to them--making them ultra exotic to me.

And by extension, in my eye, the look of wide bodies has a retro (or less diplomatically obsolete ) look to me. I would not choose a late 80's Nascar look for my car.

And since you brought it up, engine swaps are really a pretty natural thing to do--and does score pretty favorably on the cost vs benefit scale. For those of us on a close budget, a Caddy or 3.8 SC conversion gives pretty decent bang for the buck and is approachable by we 'mere mortals.' If our favorite car had lasted into the mid 90s, perhaps it would have ended up with an Aurora*, N*, or supercharged engine.

I agree with this! Also, it is a shame to do this to a GT. The GT already has a nice body, even though it doesn't look as good as this kit when it is done. Another point is that the base models are more plentful and cheaper to buy. I think it would have been a better option to convert the base model instead of the GT. Most would not have an issue spending the price on the kit if the car only cost them a few hundred dollars and needed bodywork or paint v.s. spending a couple grand on a nice GT that needs much less.
Just my opinion.

aji

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2007 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ajiSend a Private Message to ajiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

aji

106 posts
Member since Feb 2000
I forgot to add that the widebody kit does look really nice!
Sleepy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2007 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SleepySend a Private Message to SleepyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That's a tough one. We discussed this for a long time today. We are going to do something with it in the next 2 days, but we're open to suggestions. However I need the suggestions right away because we are doing this real soon.

Let's hear your suggestions.

Archie

Completely pipe dreaming here, but what about an integrated spoiler to address the fender cap issue? Since the rear corners appear to extend past the forward angled decklid surface, maybe you can leave the fender cap as is, and match a wrap around-ducktail spoiler to it. Could be 3 pc, or bond the sides to the fender caps later. Hard to tell from the pics if this is possible. I'm thinking real low angle of attack sitting just above the taillights. More an overhang like the GT1 and Le Mans prototypes, only flatter:

It would really help elongate the notch's stubby appearing tail.

EDIT- is the guy in the Panoz GTR picking his nose?

[This message has been edited by Sleepy (edited 07-24-2007).]

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2007 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT:

Archie, my Dad wants me to inquire about the cost... installed? (without paint)

(BTW - I like it too! looking forward to seeing the new car "finished" with the kit).

Sorry for the delay, but we actually needed to install one of these kits before we would know what it takes time wise to get it on & get it right.

We figure that, at the shop rate, it would take $2200.00 to install the kit, plus $1950 for the kit making the total $4150.00.

Archie
88GT302

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2007 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GT302Send a Private Message to 88GT302Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All you photoshop guys out there, how about filling those wheel wells with some proper rims and tires, and maybe lowering it a couple inches. I think it would give everyone a glimpse at the finished product.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 25 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock