Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Any REAL interest in a widebody kit? (Page 4)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 25 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Any REAL interest in a widebody kit? by Archie
Started on: 02-16-2007 01:24 PM
Replies: 982 (123941 views)
Last post by: FieroFastBackL67 on 11-16-2015 02:58 PM
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2007 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Wow! A very difficult 6-piece mod. How many hours you'd think was involved in making the wide-body rocker? How many piece (normally) needed for the regular IRM rocker? 2-piece?

From the time when the rockers were sanded good enough for final paint, that's when Kris put on the dark Gray dura-tec paint, I figure we have 120 to 130 hours in these molds plus materials.

The molds for the regular rockers are 5 pcs. these had to be 6pcs because the side scoop was so big & deep.

Archie
IP: Logged
toddshotrods

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2007 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Taking the middle ground, you have 125 hours from finished plug to production mold. That doesn't count the hours to develop the plug; and this is just for a pair of rockers!

Imagine the time needed to develop a full rebody, with all the necessary brackets and accessories! Then enough of them must be sold to recoup the development costs, before ever truly making a dime...

This is something that's really hard to get people to understand. I have been doing custom fiberglass for over a decade now and getting people to understand why the cost is so high is often challenging, so put it mildly.

I think letting people see what it takes for you to offer these parts for the price you are is very wise Archie. I think your price is more than reasonable, for a limited production specialty item.

------------------
toddshotrods.com - wanna ride?
crazy projects, features, articles, art & more

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2007 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by toddshotrods:

Taking the middle ground, you have 125 hours from finished plug to production mold. That doesn't count the hours to develop the plug; and this is just for a pair of rockers!

Imagine the time needed to develop a full rebody, with all the necessary brackets and accessories! Then enough of them must be sold to recoup the development costs, before ever truly making a dime...

This is something that's really hard to get people to understand. I have been doing custom fiberglass for over a decade now and getting people to understand why the cost is so high is often challenging, so put it mildly.

I think letting people see what it takes for you to offer these parts for the price you are is very wise Archie. I think your price is more than reasonable, for a limited production specialty item.

Hopefully, the next time someone is getting ready to say that some Fiberglass part is over priced "Because Fiberglass doesn't cost too much" he will think twice and remember this thread.

Archie
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2007 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999
Well the Fiberglass was laid up in the molds today.

The big day is tomorrow morning when the parts will be taken out of the molds.

I'll report to this thread as soon as I can tomorrow.

Archie

Archie
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2007 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The parts are out of the molds & they look great.

We took one of the rockers & just stuck it on Curleys car. These pics were taken with no fitting & no fasterners, we just stuck them on.

This is the set that I'll be bringing to the Daytona show.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2007 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

The parts are out of the molds & they look great.

We took one of the rockers & just stuck it on Curleys car. These pics were taken with no fitting & no fasterners, we just stuck them on.

This is the set that I'll be bringing to the Daytona show.

Excellent job, "Archie and the Crew." It looks professionally and OEM to which GM should be proud of (like care, right?). I'm sure the guy in FL will be pleased to pop those puppies onto his Fiero.

Moving right along: Here's some pics of the C6 rear side marker lamps for the wide-body mad-arches:

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 03-20-2007).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2007 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Damnnnnnnnnn Archie those look awesome !!!

David (FierouciousGT) is going to be one happy boy !

I can't wait to get my set ! WOW !
Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2007 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
would you have to buy it all (sorry if someone asked this already)? the car i'd want to try this on isn't a gt, has stock irm rockers on it already and i have some fenders to try the other part, but i'd need a rear facia.
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2007 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Philphine:

would you have to buy it all (sorry if someone asked this already)? the car i'd want to try this on isn't a gt, has stock irm rockers on it already and i have some fenders to try the other part, but i'd need a rear facia.

Sure, we'll be able to sell the individual parts if you need.

Archie
Bridgetown

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2007 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Archie, are you going to set this kit up to be used with stock front fenders? Also will the body moulding be eliminated between the new rockers and the front fenders? I like the look of eliminateing the body moulding, it gives the fiero a more modern appearance. I like the wide body look but the ones I have seen on the forum either keep the body moulding intact or only eliminate certain sections like in the pic.

I think this breaks up the lines of the car too much and would like to see a kit that eliminates it completley from bumper to bumper.
Your thaughts?
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2007 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bridgetown:

Archie, are you going to set this kit up to be used with stock front fenders? Also will the body moulding be eliminated between the new rockers and the front fenders? I like the look of eliminateing the body moulding, it gives the fiero a more modern appearance. I like the wide body look but the ones I have seen on the forum either keep the body moulding intact or only eliminate certain sections like in the pic.
Your thaughts?

I agree. The black marker is a throw-back to the 80's to which the Corvette shares the same issues. Granted it looks good and I have it on #011 but, if your going to build a custom wide body from scatch...I see no need to repeat history. Get rid of it!

Thoughts? Oh I have a few, Hehe.

Look here: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/046552-10.html

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 03-22-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2007 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003
The little black triangle thingie will be removed. The opening is for the C6 front side marker lamp.

FierociousGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2007 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:
Damnnnnnnnnn Archie those look awesome !!!
David (FierouciousGT) is going to be one happy boy !
I can't wait to get my set ! WOW !

Hehehehe I'll be jumping with joy Saturday morning at Daytona!
Bridgetown

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2007 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This something I photoshopped, opinions?
It is a little rough but I think it gives a good idea of the look I was trying to create.

it is a PISA Artero front end with a widebody like Archie is working on.
It reminds me of a Lotus Esprit/Lamborgini Diablo.
I am hopeing to create this look on my '86 GT, after I get a new engine though. I am getting way ahead of myself.
FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2007 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Look what I got at Daytona 2007! Thanks Archie, I'll be ready for the rest of the widebody when your ready!

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2007 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FierociousGT:

Look what I got at Daytona 2007! Thanks Archie, I'll be ready for the rest of the widebody when your ready!

Wow! And you got away with them w/o nobody seeing you! I hope you're planning on using some wide rim/ tires cause 15 incher ain't gonna cut the mustard, hehe.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2007 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

A lot of good things and inspirations at the 2007 Daytona show.

Had my eyes focused on the widebody rocker peanels, congrautlaionss David

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 03-25-2007).]

FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2007 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I hope you're planning on using some wide rim/ tires cause 15 incher ain't gonna cut the mustard, hehe.

Most definitely...
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2007 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Most definitely...

A penny for your thoughts. Continued Tweaking or just a bolt on application for you? Size rims and tires? Enquiring minds would like to know.

Originally posted by InTheLead:

I would be interested, however I would need to see this installed on a regular GT first would there any plans for that? Thats such a custom fastback top that its hard to picture on a regular non chopped. Is the car still at the shop? Would love to check it out and sit in a choptop to make sure I can fit.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 03-25-2007).]

FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2007 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

A penny for your thoughts. Continued Tweaking or just a bolt on application for you? Size rims and tires? Enquiring minds would like to know.

The front fenders/bumper will have to go wide. Some minor tweaking for the rear bumper (I need to have everything bolt on and brainstorm ). For the rim size I have to get some data from Archie on how many inches wider the rear is. Be sure the rims won't be less then 18" or more then 20"...

Got Fiero ideas?!
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2007 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The rims won't be less then 18" or more then 20"...

Got Fiero ideas?!

I see you've been talking to Troyboy, hehe.

PFF
System Bot
FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2007 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Archie few questions:

1.- How much wider is each side?
2.- What wheel data did you provide to HRE?
3.- "Perfect Union's" (Fiero Warehouse widebody) front fenders/bumper... what wheel data did you provide to HRE?

Thanks

PS
Just curious, I'm NOT going HRE's....
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2007 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

PS
Just curious, I'm NOT going HRE's....

What...Mayas'?

FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2007 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What...Mayas'?

ROH
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2007 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ROH

What...the Austrailian wheel company? Some of their wheels run very deep, like up to 13" wide. 2 or 3-piece?
FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2007 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What...the Austrailian wheel company? Some of their wheels run very deep, like up to 13" wide. 2 or 3-piece?

Yes the company is down in Oz. Looking at the 3-piece Modena & Strada. Actually been looking at them for a while.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2007 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good!

[This message has been edited by Jake_Dragon (edited 04-04-2007).]

Forever-Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2007 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Forever-FieroSend a Private Message to Forever-FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did we give up and go home?? So far looking very Good!
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2007 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No we didn't give up.

We just have several projects going on at the same time & I haven't posted any progress on it in about 3 weeks or so.

However we have been getting the rear bumper ready to take molds off of it.

Here's some pics of it while it was still on the car.

Then we took it off of the car & to have it retain it's shape, Kris built a framework to hold the bumper in shape.

Archie
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2007 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work at removing the last of the 80's black bumper marker. That is one of the items that pre-dates our Fieros. Good ridden!

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2007 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So Curley are you going to put a fiberglass copy of the bumper on your car or put the original back on? It would be a lot lighter and less prone to cracking if you went with the fiberglass copy.
PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2007 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

So Curley are you going to put a fiberglass copy of the bumper on your car or put the original back on? It would be a lot lighter and less prone to cracking if you went with the fiberglass copy.

Yeah, Archie said that, (The rear bumper after making a mold from it) would be pretty much trashed and I would need a fiberglass rear. Besides, he wasn't too comfortable with the fiberglas and rubber bumper combo and that it's a little too heavy and all. It's all good in my book.

The plus side is: continued tweaking once you've purchased it like rear defuser additions and such. No need for someone to make a direct clone of #020, right? Keep on rasing the bar!

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 04-19-2007).]

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2007 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

He'll be getting the fiberglass bumper. By the time we're finished with this bumper, it'll be junk.

Right now we're building up the lip on the inside of the wheel well areas of the bumper to accept the stock Fiero wheel well liner.

As it turns out, this rear bumper was kinda "Boogered up", & we are having to build up the areas where the wheel well would mount to on the finished part.

In this picture you can see where plywood strips were screwed into place to start establishing the wheel well liner mounting area......as you can see here this is the right side area & we've started filling in on top of the plywood pcs.

Here's the left side already finished (a little final sanding yet to do.......

And here is is with a Fiero wheel well liner in place......

This kinda stuff takes a long time to do right but it makes a very nice part when it's done.

Archie
troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2007 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ya have love the attention Archie pays to detail. Keep up the good work Archie.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2007 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

As it turns out, this rear bumper was kinda "Boogered up", & we are having to build up the areas where the wheel well would mount to on the finished part.
Archie

Hehe. That what happens when a person performs a 180 on black ice while heading to the choptop haven. That happened to me during IL worse storms of the year. It was on the same day, when a jet over-ran the runway and killed a child in a car.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2007 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad you didn't booger up the whole car

Good deal on the fiberglass fascia... The wide body kit is going to be awesome!

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2007 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Man !!

Where in the heck did i put my drool bucket ??
americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2007 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i would be very interested in a decent one. i looked at the PISA one, and i dont really like it. it kept the doors stock width. it looks kinda funny. im getting my brothers 86gt and i wanna do a gt widebody kit to it. my other one is an 86se, im gonna use that one for my ferrari 355 kit
Racer_JT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2007 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racer_JTSend a Private Message to Racer_JTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How long before you think you will have the whole kits ready? Iam very interested in a set of them as soon as possible. Do you have a way to address the fronts as well?

Thanks
Jesse

------------------
1988 GT 2.8 3Auto
1986 GT 3.4 DOHC 5Speed
1986 GT 4.9 4Auto

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2007 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We are not addressing the front end as yet. Working as fast as we can but gotta pay the rent too.

Some people are considering using the IMSA front clip from Fiero Warehouse.

We figure to have all the molds done by early June or before.

Archie

Originally posted by Racer_JT:

How long before you think you will have the whole kits ready? Iam very interested in a set of them as soon as possible. Do you have a way to address the fronts as well?

Thanks
Jesse

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 25 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock