Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Designing a new dash need a few ideas (Page 3)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 26 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26 
Previous Page | Next Page
Designing a new dash need a few ideas by OH10fiero
Started on: 11-01-2002 11:37 AM
Replies: 1031
Last post by: IMSA GT on 09-20-2010 01:12 PM
newfie

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2002 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfieSend a Private Message to newfieDirect Link to This Post
Now that's an interior, referring to the supra's. some of those imports have sweet interiors. I wonder how much work is involved to swapping in a 90's supra interior like the one shown above. I like the f-body too but love that supra wrap around style. Wish I had a friend with a supra, I'd take some measurements.
IP: Logged
FIERORICE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2002 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIERORICESend a Private Message to FIERORICEDirect Link to This Post
Damn that guy killed it on the C/F. What I don't understand, people buy C/F everything yet have super stereos.... Why? I thought C/F was known for its weight reduction.

Back on topic, that Firebird dash looks great, too bad it will be ruined with GM gray plastic on HVAC.

Ricky

------------------
Yeah, I have a cowl induction hood - with NON FUNCTIONAL GAUGES!! HELL YEAH - FieroRice

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2002 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Don't worry I have a plan for that gray plastic. If you want a preview, then look at my door handles...
drummer5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2002 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drummer5Send a Private Message to drummer5Direct Link to This Post
Damn I'm lazy.... I still havn't gotten around the scetching anything out yet, but I plan on doing a rap around dash like in the supra but with a smoother look and different passenger side dash panel. Maybe I should do some quick crappy scetches right now...
GTFiero1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2002 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post
looking good jscott1 i had no idea you did this custom stuff. heres a positive rating

------------------

--Adam--
1987 Blue GT 5-speed
IM AOL: GTFiero
Remember, always brush your milk, drink your teeth, dont do sleep and get eight hours of drugs

Drive it like you stole it...nice and slow so you dont get your @$$ caught by the cops

OH10fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2002 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OH10fieroSend a Private Message to OH10fieroDirect Link to This Post
Wow, when I started this I had no idea that it would go to 80 somethings post Well I am now getting ready for my flight to Florida to pick up another Fiero to add to the family I have, that will now be five for me. This fith car will also be the car to recieve the Firebird dash, so when I return I will go buy a digital camera, because I need one anyway, start the project, and document everything for all to see. When I am done I will see if a kit can be made of this, or if it will be just a matter of taking carefull measurements, either way you will know. See ya in a week and a half
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2002 02:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by GTFiero1:

looking good jscott1 i had no idea you did this custom stuff. heres a positive rating

Thanks GTFiero1...If anyone else here appreciates what I'm doing here, give me a positive.

Here's some progress from the long holiday weekend.

------------------

speed1

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2002 04:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for speed1Send a Private Message to speed1Direct Link to This Post
This looks like a great swap. I'm gonna need all the details on this swap. Hope jscott1 finishes soon and gets that website up and running.
soup

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2002 05:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for soupClick Here to visit soup's HomePageSend a Private Message to soupDirect Link to This Post
What about on the top of the dash there. Are you going to have to build a piece to fit there, or is there a nother part of the dash that fits in there.

I am talking about the space between the dash and the windshield that is still bare.

Also, do you have a close up of where you cut the back of the door off. Are the panels wrapped in vinyl. The reason I ask, is because if you cut the back off, and it has vinyl, you can stretch the vinyl around so it looks like you never cut it. But, if it is formed plastic, then how are you going to make it have a clean cut on the back of the panels?

[This message has been edited by soup (edited 11-12-2002).]

JMunilla87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2002 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JMunilla87GTSend a Private Message to JMunilla87GTDirect Link to This Post
you got a positive....you are the man(well the dash man anyway)...This is gonna rock when you get it done.
the need for speed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2002 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for the need for speedSend a Private Message to the need for speedDirect Link to This Post
how close is the shifter to the dash?looks tight right there.but still looks sweat!!!!!!!!!
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2002 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by soup:

What about on the top of the dash there. Are you going to have to build a piece to fit there, or is there a nother part of the dash that fits in there.

I am talking about the space between the dash and the windshield that is still bare.

Also, do you have a close up of where you cut the back of the door off. Are the panels wrapped in vinyl. The reason I ask, is because if you cut the back off, and it has vinyl, you can stretch the vinyl around so it looks like you never cut it. But, if it is formed plastic, then how are you going to make it have a clean cut on the back of the panels?

Thanks for the good words JMunilla87GT

Regarding the top of the dash there are a couple of ways to deal with that. If you look a page back Roy has built a custom piece out of fiberglass to fill that are. I plan to take the standard Firebird panel and trim it to size after I get the final dash placement nailed down, (bolted down actually).

As for the door panel ends it is a combination of fabric and formed plastic. I plan to make a custom piece to cover the ends.

stevenrossi

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2002 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stevenrossiSend a Private Message to stevenrossiDirect Link to This Post
What i'd be looking for is a Kit that gave me all the extras that i'd need to make the conversion work assuming that i'd buy the parts.

I do have a few suggestions and questions

Questions
~What exactly is needed from the f-body donor car with regards to interior parts
~Is there any trimming that has to be done on anything else besides the doors.
~What snags were encountered (larger ones...not the little "easy to fix" ones.

I'm not the greatest at fabricating things, however, i feel that if i was guided well I too could do this upgrade.

I suggest that a MSN group or Mailing list be started to keep people that are interested in this "in the loop"

I'd be intersted in buying a Kit that would include the following
~Simple written instructions that cover the important stuff
~All parts that needed to be fabricated to make this dash work

I'd want to buy the parts from the donor car...all i'd need is a kit to make it work w/ the fiero...

Is this possible

JSCOTT1 you've got a big + from me and you've got me HAPPY again...i just finished the engine conversion and was running out of things to do...i just found a P-windows kit from a Fellow Canadian PFF member and it'd go great with an entire interior Retrofit.

Please PM / e-mail me with info on the possibilty of a Kit or anwers to my questions

Thanks A LOT you guys are doing an AMAIZING job!

Keep it up!

Good Luck!

------------------
Steven Rossi
2M4 Cadero Converted GT

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2002 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by the need for speed:

how close is the shifter to the dash?looks tight right there.but still looks sweat!!!!!!!!!

The shifter is pretty close to the dash, but I've got Rodney's short shifter in there for now. I have to see how it works with the console, but I think the stock shifter might have a better angle on it. I have to work with it a little before I know for sure.

stevenrossi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2002 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stevenrossiSend a Private Message to stevenrossiDirect Link to This Post
I love this THREAD!

jscott1 will the gauge cluster read the right readings from at least the speedometer, Gas, and temp?

[pm w/ answers please]

------------------
Steven Rossi
2M4 Cadero Converted GT

wpgfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2002 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wpgfieroSend a Private Message to wpgfieroDirect Link to This Post
looks great!
DaRkLoRD

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2002 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DaRkLoRDSend a Private Message to DaRkLoRDDirect Link to This Post
I have something else in mind for the dash and console, but I love those doors!

------------------
steve@digitalfusion.on.ca

Fatal Error

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2002 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fatal ErrorSend a Private Message to Fatal ErrorDirect Link to This Post
What year did that dash and doors come out of?

-Fatal

stevenrossi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2002 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stevenrossiSend a Private Message to stevenrossiDirect Link to This Post
4th gen are which years EXACTLY?

------------------
Steven Rossi
2M4 Cadero Converted GT

mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2002 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post
Let me see if I can answer a few questions:

Stevenrossi --

You need:
The dash and dash frame
Gauge cluster
The door panels
center console (optional).

The dash will fit without any trimming (on the dash) if your willing to cut some metal away around the steering column hoop (the metal piece that holds the steering column). I've mounted mine up against the lip at the base of the windshield -- the same lip where the stock Fiero dash mounts But I chose to cut route where you cut metal away to make it fit.

I made a filler piece to go from the dash to the base of the windshield. I cut the front lip off of the Fiero dash and fastened it to the lip then made a masking tape bridge between the Firebird dash and the Fiero dash section. I then layed fiberglassand used fiber-reinforced Bondo to give it some strength and plastic filler to smooth it. I then cut the defroster holes.

The door panels area a pain any way you build them. Jonathan (jscott1) cut the Firebird panels and plans to make end covers to hide the cut and ease the transition. I flattened the Fiero door panels and am attempting to use the door handle, bezel, and armrest and then cover the door panel to look like the Firebirds. Neather is finished so the story continues.

You asked about snags... LOTS. Remember, this is all hand crafted. Everything needs to be developed and that means a lot of trial and error. Jonathan is a little more confident that this could be made into a kit. I'm not so sure.

I am taking lots of digital pictures of my build up and hope to document the project on a web site (If I can learn how to build one). It should give enough information to help others who want to attempt the project.

In a later note, you asked about the gauges. I mocked mine up to see how they performed and was relieved to see that the speedo, tack, and voltmeter were dead on. I didn't hook up the oil, water or gas because when I compared the sensors using both Helms books and they were the same. Since then, Jonathan has had trouble getting the gas gauge to work correctly. My gauges came out of an earlier model so I'm hoping I don't run into the same problem. If so, I've already got a fix in mind.

the need for speed -- My dash will sit about an inch closer to the windshield. There is plenty of room for a stock shifter.

Fatal Error -- My dash and stuff came from a 94 Firebird but is the same as a 93-95. Jonathan's came from a later model that used digital the odemeter. Anything from 93 or newer will work but there is stll some questions on the gauge cluster.

As I mentioned before, I plan on doing my install into my daily driver over the Thanks giving holiday week. I'll have more pictures to show at that time.

I Hope this helps,
Roy

stevenrossi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2002 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stevenrossiSend a Private Message to stevenrossiDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Roy

If you'd like i've got 10MB of Free space that you can use...if you build it i'll give you my space.

Thanks A LOT for the info I'll do it over the x-mas break w/ a good friend and i'll probably need A LOT of help

Thanks ALOT

Keep me posted!

------------------
Steven Rossi
2M4 Cadero Converted GT

PFF
System Bot
8Ball

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 162
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2002 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
This is exactly the thing we needed for the Fiero!!!

Now if I ever get another Fiero, I will be ripping the insides apart so I can try my hand at this as well.

I have often tried to come up with a newer design for the interior, but have never been able to nail anything down. After reading this article, I and 100% certain this is exactly what Iw ant to do!!!!

Anyone in Atlantic Canada want to donate a Fiero to the Save Randy from Boredom cause

stevenrossi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2002 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stevenrossiSend a Private Message to stevenrossiDirect Link to This Post
It's funny how the local yard has NO 4th Gen's AT ALL...that means my job is that much harder now

DARN!

------------------
Steven Rossi
2M4 Cadero Converted GT

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2002 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfixit58:

Let me see if I can answer a few questions:

Fatal Error -- My dash and stuff came from a 94 Firebird but is the same as a 93-95. Jonathan's came from a later model that used digital the odemeter. Anything from 93 or newer will work but there is stll some questions on the gauge cluster.

I Hope this helps,
Roy

Thanks Roy for taking the time to answer some of the questions that popped up during the day.

Let me expand a little on the donor Firebird vehicle. All my parts are coming from a 1998 V6 Firebird. Not because I am parting one out, but just to keep a consistent data base and I figure a 10 year update on my '88 sounds good.

Unlike Camaro, the Firebird dash remained largely unchanged from '93 all the way up to 2002. There were some subtle changes to the console in '97 (extra cupholders added) and the odometer went digital. The top filler piece of the dash also took on a slightly different curve but it's a very small difference.

For the most part everything we are talking about here is applicable to any 4th gen Firebird you happen to find in the yards.

I am having an issue with the gas gauge which appears to be digital and not compatible with the analog sensor on the Fiero, but I haven't given up yet. Worse case I need to get a cluster from an older 4th gen. You want one from a V6 to avoid having to recalibrate the tach, (which I have verified works)

Between Roy and I we will document all that we have learned and the next wave or people to do this mod will know exactly what works and what doesn't.

By the way, my airbag is just for show, maybe the next person will take on the challenge of installing the slip ring and wiring it up.

Here is a before shot

The beechwood interior went to a good home. (I don't have any pieces left for sale)

soup

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2002 04:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for soupClick Here to visit soup's HomePageSend a Private Message to soupDirect Link to This Post

I am taking lots of digital pictures of my build up and hope to document the project on a web site (If I can learn how to build one). It should give enough information to help others who want to attempt the project.

If you send me the pictures, I would gladly set up a webpage for you. I used to do it for a design company all the time.

Plus Steven Rossi said you could host it on his site.

You can email me at soup@soupk.com if you are intersted.

-Jamie Kembel

P.S. I will also copy this thread, and throw it on the web page for a quick answer to questions, and for people to see the initial progresses of this install.

[This message has been edited by soup (edited 11-13-2002).]

stevenrossi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2002 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stevenrossiSend a Private Message to stevenrossiDirect Link to This Post
Yes...I've got 10MB on http://members.rogers.com

Feel free to make anything you'd like and i'd be happy to give you my space!...of course it'd have to be under 10MB

I'm currently looking for the interior and i'm shooting to do this during the x-mas break

I'll keep in touch with all people doing the swap

if anyone has MSN messenger or ICQ please PM me your numbers or e-mails to i can keep in touch with you more frequently

ThanX!

------------------
Steven Rossi
2M4 Cadero Converted GT

gargoyle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2002 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gargoyleSend a Private Message to gargoyleDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DaRkLoRD:

I have something else in mind for the dash and console, but I love those doors!

I'm with him on that. WOW what a great thread. This really makes me want to go out and work on mine. Here are a few pics. This is the Archie dash. I'm just using his dash not the door panels.

------------------

stevenrossi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2002 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stevenrossiSend a Private Message to stevenrossiDirect Link to This Post
I think that it's a little too expensive for just a mold that need yet to be fit and upholstered.

I think that the Firebird dash is EXACTLY what my Yellow monster needs.

To everyone that is doing the Firebird conversion please let me know if my 10MB space will me useful and what i can do to help getting a website together. I know NOTHING but lord know a lot of ppl on PFF do.

I'm currently looking for a 1993+ Interior and once I find it i'll do the upgrade over the x-mas holiday!

------------------
Steven Rossi
2M4 Cadero Converted GT

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2002 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Steven,

I can work on a website, if you PM me with the address and password where I can FTP the web pages

stevenrossi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2002 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stevenrossiSend a Private Message to stevenrossiDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Steven,

I can work on a website, if you PM me with the address and password where I can FTP the web pages

PM SENT (2 infact )

------------------
Steven Rossi
2M4 Cadero Converted GT

stevenrossi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2002 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stevenrossiSend a Private Message to stevenrossiDirect Link to This Post

stevenrossi

2232 posts
Member since Apr 2002
Giving this thread some help from your friendly neighbourhood bumber-man

------------------
Steven Rossi
2M4 Cadero Converted GT

PFF
System Bot
Starter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2002 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StarterSend a Private Message to StarterDirect Link to This Post
i was wondering if you guys are using the seats from the firebird and what are u going to do w/ the middle console?

if someone made a kit, i'd suggest including precut pieces for the doors to fill in the gaps and also for the gap by the window. and if the middle console f/ the firebird isn't usable, it'd be nice to have a redesigned one that matches the dash. some instructions and specifications on cutting would be nice too. thxs, and good luck to everyone. i hope this thing pans out.

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2002 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

I agree the stock center console leaves much to be desired. I have some ideas that I am trying out in my Fiero Design Studio (A.K.A. my dining room) but nothing final yet.

I'm using Standard Fiero Seats, but Firebird seats bolt right up to Fiero tracks. If I ever find a good deal on Firebird seats I might swap.

I was initially planning to use a modified Fiero console, but I have made some progress on modifying the Firebird one. I'll post pics shortly.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 11-14-2002).]

stevenrossi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2002 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stevenrossiSend a Private Message to stevenrossiDirect Link to This Post
...Still looking for a good interior

Anyone know where, in Ontario, I can find a cheap one?

------------------
Steven Rossi
2M4 Cadero Converted GT

gangrenefiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2002 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gangrenefieroClick Here to visit gangrenefiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to gangrenefieroDirect Link to This Post
i think if you could keep it cheap but good quality you would sell a ton of them. Some others are 1000 dollars or more and wheni only paid 2000 more the whole car thats too much. But more rounded really is all i needs the stock gauges will be good.
mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2002 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post
A little update... I've been able to install the Firebird console. It took quite a bit of surgery on both the Firebrd console and the Fiero tunnel but the fit is pretty good. I also had to make a separate computer-tunnel cover. I'll post pictures of the install on my test mule later tonight. If everything else goes according to plan, you should see pictres of the finished product by the end of the Thanksgiving holiday week.

Roy

[This message has been edited by mrfixit58 (edited 11-14-2002).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2002 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

A little update... I've been able to install the Firebird console. It took quite a bit of surgery on both the Firebrd console and the Fiero tunnel but the fit is pretty good. I also had to make a separate computer-tunnel cover. I'll post pictures of the install on my test mule later tonight. If everything else goes according to plan, you should see pictres of the finished product by the end of the Thanksgiving holiday week.

Roy

I was sworn to secrecy on Roy's progress, but Roy's Firebird console is absolutely beautiful. The only gotcha is that it requires a fair amount of cutting on the Fiero and fiberglass work.

I spent all day yesterday with the jig saw and dremel on my console and I think it will be possible to mount the '97-02 Firebird console without cutting any metal on the Fiero. I have mine in place but I am lacking the Firebird console trim plate that has the ashtray, cupholder and shift boot. I have one on order from GM and should have it tomorrow. When I get that I'll be able to determine the final fitment of the console and dash and post some pics.

The gotcha is that I had to relocate my computer to behind the driver's seat. There is plenty of wire to do this and it only took about 2 minutes. I plan to take what's left of the Fiero console and make a cover for the area where the computer used to be.

Stay tuned.

(edited for spelling)

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 11-14-2002).]

DaRkLoRD

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2002 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DaRkLoRDSend a Private Message to DaRkLoRDDirect Link to This Post
Can't wait to see pics!!

------------------
steve@digitalfusion.on.ca

Songman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2002 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
Here's a pretty good deal on a Firebird dash.. especially if you are in Michigan..

Only a few hours left though...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1872187989

Songman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2002 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post

Songman

12496 posts
Member since Aug 2000
This may have been covered already somewhere that I missed... You are using the steering wheel with controls on it. Did you change the steering column or just run wires for the controls? Also, you still got an airbag in there? Surely that is not functional too, if you do. I would think that would require lots more mods!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 26 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock