Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Designing a new dash need a few ideas (Page 15)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 26 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26 
Previous Page | Next Page
Designing a new dash need a few ideas by OH10fiero
Started on: 11-01-2002 11:37 AM
Replies: 1031
Last post by: IMSA GT on 09-20-2010 01:12 PM
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2005 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by soup:

Does anyone have the schematics so that I can wire up my gauges?

Back on page 9, but here it is again. EDIT POW! I own page 15

If you look at the back of the Firebird gauge there are two rows of pins the row on the top is "A". The row on the bottom is "B". They are numbered from left to right. The corresponding fiero pins are on the chart.

Fiero Connector C1 is the 18 pin connector to the speedometer board.
Fiero Connector C2 is the 12 pin connector that is horozontal on the back of the Fiero speedometer.
Fiero Connector C3 is the 18 pin connector that is vertical on the back of the Fiero Speedometer.

I hope that helps.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 02-15-2005).]

IP: Logged
soup

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2005 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for soupClick Here to visit soup's HomePageSend a Private Message to soupDirect Link to This Post
Awesome! Thank you Jscott!

Now I just need to go to the local electronics shop and see if I can find some sort of connector to attach to the back of the firebird gauges... I dont reallyw ant to solder a wire to each pin...

Malakyt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2005 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MalakytClick Here to visit Malakyt's HomePageSend a Private Message to MalakytDirect Link to This Post
funny you should say that. I just went and got a connector at a local yard today. took me a day and a half to solder all the wires to the back without grounding the connections. good luck.

------------------

86gt Custom with Firebird Interior

Avid Fiero Enthusiast,
Daniel Caddell
If you think i am doing a great job please give me a positive

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2005 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by soup:

Awesome! Thank you Jscott!

Now I just need to go to the local electronics shop and see if I can find some sort of connector to attach to the back of the firebird gauges... I dont reallyw ant to solder a wire to each pin...

Good luck finding that connector at an electronics shop. If you find one buy about a hundred for me I've found them very hard to find. There are not many 4th gen F bodies in the yards, (my recent trip turned up none) so they are hard to come by.

I have soldered to each pin. Tedious, but it can be done reliably.

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2005 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Good luck finding that connector at an electronics shop. If you find one buy about a hundred for me I've found them very hard to find. There are not many 4th gen F bodies in the yards, (my recent trip turned up none) so they are hard to come by.

I have soldered to each pin. Tedious, but it can be done reliably.

Jonathan - you can buy the connector straight from GM, part number 12065803 - www.gmpartsdirect.com list them at $2.02 each

Now, if only I could find the Firebird connectors for the drivers windows/lock/mirror switches for a reasonable price

Tim

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 02-16-2005).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2005 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

Jonathan - you can buy the connector straight from GM, part number 12065803 -

Tim

Tim, You are my new best friend!!! That will save me hours or scrounging through bone yards and such.

If you know of any other connector part numbers that are in GM Parts Direct's catalog I would appreciate it. I guess I need to break down and get a Firebird parts catalog. I just ordered a bunch, not quite a hundred but enough that I won't need to order any more for a while, (the $10 handling fee is a bear if you are only ordering one).

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 02-16-2005).]

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2005 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
power window connector >> 12101915 - AC Delco number PT187
power mirror connector >> 12085536 - AC Delco number PT144
power door lock connector >> 12101862 - AC Delco number PT254
light switch connector >> 12125632 - AC Delco number PT544

...but these puppies are expensive...

Edited to added the AC Delco part numbers...if there are others, let me know, and I will look them up.

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 02-16-2005).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2005 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Now, if only I could find the Firebird connectors for the drivers windows/lock/mirror switches for a reasonable price

Tim

Thanks for the part numbers on these but at this price I think I will pass. It's only a few pins I'll solder directly before I pay $20 a connector

soup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2005 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for soupClick Here to visit soup's HomePageSend a Private Message to soupDirect Link to This Post

Jonathan - you can buy the connector straight from GM, part number 12065803 - www.gmpartsdirect.com list them at $2.02 each

Tim

Wow, you RULE!
I just paid 4 dollars with shipping here in Canada. Should have my connector in a few days.
Saves doing a custom one... I started to solder allready, but I dont like the idea of not having it removeable

Time to remove teh solder.

Malakyt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2005 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MalakytClick Here to visit Malakyt's HomePageSend a Private Message to MalakytDirect Link to This Post
Hey jscott1,
can you ask that guy if he has the connector to the headlight switch? i need on badly and GM charges 141.59 my price (i get a discount). LMK otherwise i am gonna go back to the yard and see if it is still there.
Thank you

:edit: do you have a diagram for how you wired the lights?

-Malakyt

[This message has been edited by Malakyt (edited 02-16-2005).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2005 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Malakyt:

Hey jscott1,
can you ask that guy if he has the connector to the headlight switch?

You note is a little confusing...what is the difference between the AC Delco PT544 connector and the one you are looking for? GM Parts Direct only wants $14 for that one. Where are you getting the $141.59 price? That is insane, you can get a whole dash harness for that.

Here is my headlight wiring...since the time that I did my car PBJ informed me that the "B" pin can replace the relay and connect direclty to the White wire on the Fiero "F". The "B" pin does not normally have a wire going to it on the Firebird connector, you have to add one. Prior to that I used a relay.

I have updated this table to reflect the relay-less connection that I am now using.

PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2005 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

jscott1

21676 posts
Member since Dec 2001
While I'm at it I'll post my other drawings as well. They have been posted before, but let's get it all in one thread...

If you want you r accessories to still have power after the car shuts off, and turn off when you open your door. This is useful for when you have a DVD player. It doesn't have to "reboot" if the car shuts off unexpectedly, (like you stall it on launch)

newfierokid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2005 06:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfierokidSend a Private Message to newfierokidDirect Link to This Post
ok maybe i missed it so im gonna ask how did u mount the door panels to the fiero
mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2005 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post
Jonathan,

Once I moved the window switches to the doors, the hardest part for me was making the right side window work with two switches instead of just one. With your help, I was finally able to make it work. Did you post that diagram, yet?

Roy

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2005 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfixit58:
Did you post that diagram, yet?

Roy

I'm keeping that one secret Just kidding. If you notice the dates on the drawings above, I have made them gradually over time. The window drawing is one I haven't done yet.

Newfierokid - my door panels are held in place by a combination of the dew wipe strip at the top, clips on the back and screws. You have to custom engineer all of it...one of the reasons MrFixit58 decided to build up the Fiero door panel to look like a Firebird panel instead.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 02-17-2005).]

mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2005 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post

I'm keeping that one secret Just kidding. If you notice the dates on the drawings above, I have made them gradually over time. The window drawing is one I haven't done yet.

Yea. I seem to remember a scan of a pencil shetch. No points for style but max points for function .

Newfierokid - my door panels are held in place by a combination of the dew wipe strip at the top, clips on the back and screws. You have to custom engineer all of it...one of the reasons MrFixit58 decided to build up the Fiero door panel to look like a Firebird panel instead.

Jonathan is correct. I had a set of door panels and tried my best to devise a way to trim and install them. In the end, It was going to be just as much fabrication work as just redesigning the factory Fiero door panels so, that's the direction I took.

Malakyt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2005 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MalakytClick Here to visit Malakyt's HomePageSend a Private Message to MalakytDirect Link to This Post
Hate to ask again jscott... but do you happen to know where i can find a wiring diagram for the trunk switch... i fried a wire about a year ago off the 4 wires coming off the switch. currently i have left a yellow, orange and grey... the other one is burnt color i just need to know where the wires go so i can re wire it. thank you.

-Malakyt

RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2005 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, we use Power& Signal for our Delphi connector needs here at work: http://www.powerandsignal.com/netstore/start
Just type in the part number to get specs and such. I'm pretty sure you can buy direct, too.

Bob

newfierokid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2005 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfierokidSend a Private Message to newfierokidDirect Link to This Post
thanks jscott thats how i mounted mine 2 cool dew wipes hold it in place nice now for cosmetic any suggestions on how to pretty up the part that was chopped on the back side i want to close it off so it looks stock and dont want the foam showing
Malakyt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2005 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MalakytClick Here to visit Malakyt's HomePageSend a Private Message to MalakytDirect Link to This Post
well mrfixit58... in one of my old threads i posted this and i thought it might be usefull to you guys...

pretty much the top two pegs on the drivers side are negative and positive. then wire the polar wires acordingly to the switches (ie the 2 drivers side wires go under the drivers side switch. if you press the switch and the window goes up when you press down reverse the wires)

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2005 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Malakyt - as for the trunk switch, from memory I can tell you that if you are holding the switch vertical then the two wires at opposite ends are for the light. The two that are next to each other are the switch. It doesn't really matter which way the two pairs are connected.

RCR - You are my newest best friend. That is an awesome site. Armed with the GM part numbers I can finally get connectors are decent prices!

Newfierokid - I am using fiberglass and bondo to finish off the ends. That is why it's taking me forever, because I'm not very good at it. If I ever finish maybe I can get a mold to make it easier to make copies.

PFF
System Bot
newfierokid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2005 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfierokidSend a Private Message to newfierokidDirect Link to This Post
cool ty jscott
Malakyt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2005 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MalakytClick Here to visit Malakyt's HomePageSend a Private Message to MalakytDirect Link to This Post
Thanx jscott... i think when i had that little mishap with the wire i fried the relay. is that even possible. when i touch the wires together i hear the relay click... but the trunk wont open... HELP... gotta get the trunk to pop so i can stop using the "trunk key" (aka screwdriver) lol. thanks for the info. i would give you another + but i cant
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2005 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post

RCR - You are my newest best friend. That is an awesome site. Armed with the GM part numbers I can finally get connectors are decent prices!

Thanx Jon...anything to help out.

^^^ btw

Bob

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2005 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
Bump for a friend

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
93 Northstar and 5 speed Getrag
219customs@verizon.net
My 86 GT build thread
MY 88 Northstar build thread

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2005 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post

i think when i had that little mishap with the wire i fried the relay. is that even possible. when i touch the wires together i hear the relay click... but the trunk wont open... HELP...

Pretty tough to fry a relay, unless it's not rated for the voltage or current load. Which I doubt on an automotive relay. Are you sure the solenoid for the lock is functioning? More likely that that is toast, or you burned the wire somewhere else.

good luck...

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2005 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post

RCR

4397 posts
Member since Sep 2002
Saw some solenoids for sale in the Mall, if you need one: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/024931.html

Bob (Jon's new best friend and proud of it )

soup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2005 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for soupClick Here to visit soup's HomePageSend a Private Message to soupDirect Link to This Post
Hey, I just got my connector from GM... problem though.. I thought it would actually have terminals in it, so that I could just solder wires on, and then connect to the pins.... nope... it is just a plastic plug.. thats it...

So I was talking to the 90 year old guy at the counter, and according to him, I can't get any wiring, or terminals... he said there is no part number for the terminals or anything...

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2005 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
Soup... Check out the Power&Signal link above. Type in your part number and the specs will come up for that connector. It will also show all the terminal options available. I'm pretty sure the terminals will be available in one form or another. If you order some, make sure you get bulk, otherwise you'll end up paying for several thousand on a reel.

Bob

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2005 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
I figured for $2 the connectors couldn't have terminals in them. But thanks to my new best friend Bob I'm going to order a bunch.

Edit - I just ordered some terminals from Power and Signal. The only problem is that they have several sizes for different cable ranges. Maybe it doesn't make a difference. At 0.03 a piece I ordered a couple of difference sizes just in case.

12089660 Terminal Female Micro-Pack 100 Tin Plated Terminal, Cable Range 0.50 - 0.35 mm2
15317755 Terminal Female Micro-Pack 100 Tin Plated Terminal, Cable Range 0.50 - 0.35 mm2
12146447 Terminal Female Micro-Pack 100 Tin Plated Terminal, Cable Range 0.60 - 0.35 mm2
12146448 Terminal Female Micro-Pack 100 Tin Plated Terminal, Cable Range 1.00 - 0.75 mm2
12089649 Terminal Female Micro-Pack 100 Tin Plated Terminal, Cable Range 1.00 - 0.80 mm2

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 02-26-2005).]

soup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2005 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for soupClick Here to visit soup's HomePageSend a Private Message to soupDirect Link to This Post
Jscott, if you can, can you let me know which ones are the right ones...

being in canada, it is too much of a pain to just keep ordering till i get the right ones...

Thanks!

PFF
System Bot
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2005 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
It doesn't make too much of a difference. They are sized for different gauge wires, for different crimping machines. Since you'll probably be hand crimping with pliers and soldering, no big deal.

Bob

Max The Chainsaw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2005 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Max The ChainsawClick Here to visit Max The Chainsaw's HomePageSend a Private Message to Max The ChainsawDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, I've run into a snag here on the 94 Camaro dash swap. My cluster has a 32 pin connection instead of a 34 pin. Does anyone know the part number for this connector?

How about a pinout for the 94 Connector on a Camaro? (The Camaro evidently didn't use the same connector as a Firebird until 97.)

Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a million!

Max

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2005 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
You are right, Camaro was not the same as firebird until 97. I might have the information you need; but I'll be in Daytona until next week,
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2005 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
Might have to do some reading, but here's the link to the Delphi catalog. You're looking for the 32-pin micro-pack. http://www.powerandsignal.com/IDC/Products/MicroPack.aspx
Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2005 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post
Guys,

My interest in the firebird interior has been growing the past couple of years, enough to get me started looking for parts to buy. This of course leads me to a couple questions.

First of all the interior color which I like the most is Black (Ebony). I would like to attempt to attempt a completely black interior swap with only a few departures like the headliner and maybe some of the fiberglass filler panels. In order to accomplish this I am looking for a black dash, console, door panels etc from either a Firebird or Camaro. My main question is which years was the black interior available in both the Firebird and Camaro. So far it looks like 2000-2003 but I can't find anything definite yet.

In doing this swap I will also want to keep the Pontiac red backlighting in all of the gauges, switches Etc. I was wondering if someone could help me figure out what all I would have to swap out with firebird components in order to get the red backlighting. I already know that I will most likely not be able to use a 2000-2003 instrument cluster so I am basically just trying to figure out what else will need to be changed and if there will be any problems in doing so.

Thank you in advanced.

Edit = Type first, think second!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Jefrysuko (edited 03-19-2005).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2005 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Look for the 2000 to 2002 Ebony interior. You will need cluster from an earlier year, but all the firebird clusters already light up in Red there is nothing to change.
Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2005 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post

Look for the 2000 to 2002 Ebony interior. You will need cluster from an earlier year, but all the firebird clusters already light up in Red there is nothing to change.

Yep, I am prepared to find the earlier Firebird cluster but what about the climate control, light switch, window switches Etc. Wouldn't all of those light up red also? I would like to make sure if I buy a Camaro dash that either I can change the color of the lights or change the switches themselves easiely. I can't imagine why any of that wouldn't be able to be changed just looking for someone with experience or insight into the subject.

It would also like to make sure that I know what all of the light up components are such that I can account for them as an additional cost if purchasing Camaro vs. Firebird parts. Unless of course someone can tell me that the color of the lights can be changed extreamly easy.

Thanks for the information of the years for some reason I have seen the Ebony listed as 00-02 some places and 00-03 others. Then of course there are always those that list their dark grey interiors as black not knowing any better.

Max The Chainsaw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2005 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Max The ChainsawClick Here to visit Max The Chainsaw's HomePageSend a Private Message to Max The ChainsawDirect Link to This Post
Well, I think I've found the right connector: GM # 12045575. GM Partsdirect cost $1.47.

Now to wait for the order to come in so I can see if it fits.

Well, I'm off to see if I can find the pinout diagrams for this connector.

Have fun.

Max

Fierokid87

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2005 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierokid87Send a Private Message to Fierokid87Direct Link to This Post
what is the cost of the gauges and the wiring harness?

------------------
Go here to see more of my Formula: " TARGET=_blank>http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/430754

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 26 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock