Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Designing a new dash need a few ideas (Page 16)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 26 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26 
Previous Page | Next Page
Designing a new dash need a few ideas by OH10fiero
Started on: 11-01-2002 11:37 AM
Replies: 1031
Last post by: IMSA GT on 09-20-2010 01:12 PM
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2005 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
When I offer the harness for sale the price will be $399. Pricing and availability suject to change....

I can build the harness any way you want. An easy way to think of it though is that $399 is my price that includes everything you need. This price includes the harness, all the connectors, a Firebird Guage Cluster, and a Firebird Headlight switch with a modified Firebird Dimmer switch, and Trunk popper switch, all tested and guaranteed to work. HVAC is not included yet as I'm still working on some ideas. For now you can use the Fiero controls with a modified bezel.

I have decided not to chare core charges (The harness is $399 everything included) but if you already have any of the Firebird parts you can get a credit or sell your Fiero parts back to me, as you won't need them after the swap. (Prices subject to change):
Let me know of any interest????

- Jonathan

2002 was the last year for the Camaro and Firebird so there is no 2003.

Window switches don't light up, everything else on the F-body lights up red. I don't know about Camaro except the gauges are white. I'm not sure how to make it red since the bulbs are white on the Firebird and it lights up red.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 08-09-2007).]

IP: Logged
Max The Chainsaw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2005 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Max The ChainsawClick Here to visit Max The Chainsaw's HomePageSend a Private Message to Max The ChainsawDirect Link to This Post
Hey Jscott, would you sell some connector pins to fit the dash plug? I found the right plug for a 94 Camaro, and the numbers from Power and Signal for the pins are the same, but I only need enough to do the one plug.

Let me know if you would.

Thanks,
Max

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2005 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Hi Max,

I'm still waiting for my shipment of connector terminals to arrive. But if I have any extras I'd be glad to sell them. I don't remember off the top of my head how many I ordered. I just need enough to populate all the connectors I bought. Don't need all 34 pins, probably 24 at the absolute most.

- Jonathan

Max The Chainsaw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2005 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Max The ChainsawClick Here to visit Max The Chainsaw's HomePageSend a Private Message to Max The ChainsawDirect Link to This Post
Sounds great. Let me know, I only have 1 connector to populate.

Max

Modat5

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2005 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Modat5Send a Private Message to Modat5Direct Link to This Post
Jscott,

How are the adaptor harnesses coming?

Thanks,

Matt

------------------
It does not take many lovers to become a whore, just one past the one you love.

Max The Chainsaw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2005 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Max The ChainsawClick Here to visit Max The Chainsaw's HomePageSend a Private Message to Max The ChainsawDirect Link to This Post
Hey Jonathan, Do you have a schematic of how you did the HVAC controls with one switch and relays. My 6 gang rotary switch won't fit in the hole (Too deep) and I was thinking maybe I could adapt your relay schematic to work with the factory vacuum selector and 6 vacuum operated switches.

What do you think?

Max

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post04-30-2005 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post
So should I post updates in this thread, or should I stick to my own thread? I hope to be able to add to the information.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2005 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Max The Chainsaw:

Hey Jonathan, Do you have a schematic of how you did the HVAC controls with one switch and relays. My 6 gang rotary switch won't fit in the hole (Too deep) and I was thinking maybe I could adapt your relay schematic to work with the factory vacuum selector and 6 vacuum operated switches.

What do you think?

Max

For those that have been patiently waiting....

No real updates on the firebird PNP harness. I was heavy into development and then got sidetracked by actually working on my cars. That's one reason I didn't want to accept any orders until I was ready to start production.

In the mean time there has been some developments in the area of a totally electric HVAC system... In the future I may incorporate that into the package for a totally integrated system.

Here are the schematics I used for my HVAC controls. The 5 layer switch might be easier to hook up but I couldn't find any for a reasonable price.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 04-30-2005).]

cheetah

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2005 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cheetahClick Here to visit cheetah's HomePageSend a Private Message to cheetahDirect Link to This Post
Hello.

I am doing the swap (on pause for a week while I finish the suspension overhaul).

2000 Camaro SS dash with a Firebird steering column (complete column swap).

Anyway, after reading this topic, I am still unsure as to how to make the speedometer work. I have the digital odometer on the gauges btw.

Also, do you have a p/n on the firebird gas gauge?

I have everything working electronically except the gas gauge and speedo. I used the previous diagram provided (thanks!) and the wheel readio controls are easy. I have the wiring harness from the donor Camaro, so that has made it a lot easier.

Thanks in advance.

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2005 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
I have a 2000 gauge and as far as I know the speedometer is digital and will not work with the Fiero. The gas gauge will not work either but you can replace that. I don't know about replacing just the speedometer. I wouldn't even try. I would suggest going to an F-body board and trading it for an analog one. The 97 and 98 are the only digital odometer speedometers that I have been able to get to work with the Fiero. Sorry.

Good luck on your swap and keep us up to date on your progress.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 05-10-2005).]

cheetah

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2005 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cheetahClick Here to visit cheetah's HomePageSend a Private Message to cheetahDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2005 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by cheetah:
if I swapped it for one like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7972592406&cate gory=33678

it would work? If so, I will just buy the second one.

Thanks.

What engine will you have in the car? That auction is for a V8 gauge. Unless you have a V8 in your car the tach will not read properly. If you have a V6 then look for a gauge for a 3.4L or 3800 V6.

You have to be careful with the Firebird clusters because I finally broke down and bought the Firebird parts CD for all years and I found there are about 30 different part numbers for the cluster. I haven't finished cross referencing all the ones that work and won't work, but when I do I will post that information here.

cheetah

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2005 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cheetahClick Here to visit cheetah's HomePageSend a Private Message to cheetahDirect Link to This Post
I used the firebird gauge cluster and wheel because I wanted red lights and the airbag to say "PONTIAC", but I liked the lines of the camaro dash more.

I currently have the 2.8L, but will be doing an LS1 swap sometime within the next year.

I wanted to have the tach in the meantime with my V6 if possible, but if this cluster will work with the LS1 later, I could get by without a speedo for awhile (can estimate speed by the tach).

But I can't live without the gas gauge. Can I order the 80 FB one from GM still? Do you know the p/n?

http://www.cheetahonline.com/camarodash.html

I will update this page in the next few days.
Thanks.

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2005 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
The gas gauge that I used was from a 2nd gen firebird. Just about any GM car from 1964 on I think used the 90 ohm gas gauge. It is not a drop in replacement, I had to do some cutting to get it to fit.

I never thought to try an replace the gas gauge with one from an earlier 4th gen. I don't know if that would work or not. I might give it a shot one day. But I don't think you will find a GM part number for just the gas gauge, since it's integral to the cluster. You would have to find the supplier to the cluster manufacturer.

cheetah

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2005 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cheetahClick Here to visit cheetah's HomePageSend a Private Message to cheetahDirect Link to This Post
I have a spare gauge cluster like this one laying around:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46100&item=7974434601&rd=1

do you think that gas gauge from that will work?

I have soooo many projects going on right now it is crazy! Glad this isn't my daily driver.

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2005 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by cheetah:

do you think that gas gauge from that will work?

That appears to be the 93 to 96 Camaro gauge. I've never messed with one, but if it's anything like the 93 to 96 Firebird cluster then the gas gauge should work.

cheetah

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2005 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cheetahClick Here to visit cheetah's HomePageSend a Private Message to cheetahDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

I am happy, I also have a kit coming that will allow me to auto up and down both windows. I am trying to do all electical while the interior is out. I moved the battery up front, and am doing the + and - wiring the RIGHT way. The headlights/motors will have their own wiring straight from the battery, etc.

Thanks to everyone for their help with diagrams and such.

This swap is not too bad, just a little time consuming. But well worth it in my opinion.

El Guapo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2005 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for El GuapoSend a Private Message to El GuapoDirect Link to This Post
Move the stereo location up so the shifter doesn't get in the way. Take the standard GT style guages and move them vertical to the left of the higher stereo. A rounded "brow" over the speedo and other guage areas would be useful to cut down on glare and provide a better overall look without looking to futuristic on an '80's car.
F-I-E-R-O

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2005 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-ODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by El Guapo:

Move the stereo location up so the shifter doesn't get in the way. Take the standard GT style guages and move them vertical to the left of the higher stereo. A rounded "brow" over the speedo and other guage areas would be useful to cut down on glare and provide a better overall look without looking to futuristic on an '80's car.

Sounds good to me.

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2005 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
ATTENTION

Now that I have your attention, I am pleased to announce that the Firebird plug and play harness is nearing completion. I was distracted for a while working on other projects but I am turning my attention back to the harness.

I've got a couple of pre-orders saved here on my computer but my mailing list seemes to be missing...so I need everyone who is interested in being added to my mailing list to please PM me with an email address. Thanks.

- Jonathan

------------------

1988 GT (Firebird Interior),1988 Fastback (4.9 Chop-top #1 of 1), 1984 Indy...Firebird Interior Installation Website

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-01-2005 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post
Any idea what to use to create molds for some of the larger things that might need to get made out of fiberglass? The computer cover, or door panels for example? Just a really large block of styrofoam? I'm thinking that rather than completely using the f-body interior, I might mold up a dash that bolts right in, so I don't have to cut anything, and I can make it look better without having the odd cuts by the a-pillars to cover up, and the bit between the dash and the windshield. Though, I'd still use some stuff from the f-body, such as the gauges, and probably the HVAC controls. I'll probably start with the door panels though, as they are the easiest to deal with. I was just wondering if anyone had suggestions of what to use to build the molds with. Thanks.

-- dobey

PFF
System Bot
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2005 07:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to use a combination of the stock Firebird door panel components with urethane foam and polyester spandex to create my door panels. I just finished "smoothing out" the stock door panel last night and will be starting the layup after my headliner is done. Although, I will not be creating molds. These will be one-off pieces. A good site to check out is: http://www.glassmanscustomforum.com/

Bob

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2005 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:

I'm going to use a combination of the stock Firebird door panel components with urethane foam and polyester spandex to create my door panels. [/URL]

Bob

This is what Roy, (MrFixit58) did. I'm not that good with upholstery so even after smoothing and creating the panel I'm stuck. Unfortunately, I'm not that good with fiberglass either so even the smoothing part is difficult for me.

Talk to Norm of Norm's fiberglass. He is a master of the craft and might have some suggestions for you. If I had more time I would partner up with someone who is good with fiberglass and upholstery, and I could do the electrical and mechanical work.

RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2005 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
I've talked to Roy (via email) and he's given me a few good ideas on what to do. Hopefully I can pull this off....
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-02-2005 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post
Sounds great. I suppose I should find a couple of extra stock door panels to use. I'm fine with doing one-offs as well. If I can do it once, I can do it again, if I decide that I want to make molds. Would be nice to get my car done first though.

Good luck with the fabbing.

-- dobey

Originally posted by RCR:

I'm going to use a combination of the stock Firebird door panel components with urethane foam and polyester spandex to create my door panels. I just finished "smoothing out" the stock door panel last night and will be starting the layup after my headliner is done. Although, I will not be creating molds. These will be one-off pieces. A good site to check out is: http://www.glassmanscustomforum.com/

Bob

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2005 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Install A Firebird Dash In 30 Minutes!

Houston - Well for all of you that have patiently waited for the plug and play harness I have good news. The prototype has tested out positive and I will be finishing up the second unit, with some improvements over the first. The third unit will be for sale.

I installed, (electrically) a firebird dash in my chop t-top in less than 30 minutes. The car started, all the gauges work, including the headlight and dimmer switch. First thing I noticed is that since all Fieros have the trunk popper switch, (88s at least) that the interface to it will be included with all harnesses.

Stay tuned for updates. I will be contacting those that placed pre-orders first. Anyone else interrested email me at j_scott_1@yahoo.com Price is still $399 everything included, (except the dash). See earlier in the thread for details.

------------------

88 GT T-Top, 88 Fastback Chop-top (Archie #14), 1984 Indy, and 88 Chop Top T-top
Firebird Interior Installation Website

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 08-09-2007).]

pacethis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2005 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pacethisSend a Private Message to pacethisDirect Link to This Post
I have a new dash coming out, and I'm sure 90% of you will love it as it's gorgeous. It's smooth and rounded. . .but you're just going to have to wait a month for the details

The problem is, most people are not realistic when it comes to budgeting for a dash change. Sure, if you want to put 50-100 hours into it and design your own, you can do it for a few hundred dollars. But if you seriously want to put in a dash that's been designed and won't take this kind of time, expect to honestly spend a minimum of $1000+++. The good ones are in the $3k range right now, finished.

MilleniumFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2005 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MilleniumFieroSend a Private Message to MilleniumFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Install A Firebird Dash In 30 Minutes!

...plug and play harness..

a firebird dash kit?!?!? How did I miss this!?! Is this for true??? A firebird dash kit for dumbies?!

------------------
prowling the pacific...

87 GT - V8 - 5 Speed

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2005 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by MilleniumFiero:

a firebird dash kit?!?!? How did I miss this!?! Is this for true???

I don't have the mechanical hookups as part of a kit, (yet), but electrically I have everything you need to make the gauges, and headlight switch work. You are also going to have to relocate your dash speakers. You can use your own HVAC and radio and you are golden.

MilleniumFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2005 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MilleniumFieroSend a Private Message to MilleniumFieroDirect Link to This Post
from what I've read electronics seem like the hard part! When I get home to Hawaii and finally get back to my Fiero's I might start looking at junk yards! I better start reading up any good dash swap thread you can point me to?

hmm might be a shame to tear up such a nice dash tho....

------------------
prowling the pacific...

87 GT - V8 - 5 Speed

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2005 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by MilleniumFiero:

better start reading up any good dash swap thread you can point me to?

That is a nice dash...you can sell that to offset the cost.

Everything you need to know about the firebird dash swap is in the thread you are reading. This is page 16 of the continuing saga.

PFF
System Bot
1986GTV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2005 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986GTV8Send a Private Message to 1986GTV8Direct Link to This Post
BUMP...

Need to keep this on top.

You've got mail.

pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2005 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyDirect Link to This Post
Hi all,

What ever happened to the guy who was designing a "new" dash?? You know the original reason for this thread.......lol.......

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-27-2005 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post
Your month's up. Details and pics!

Originally posted by pacethis:

I have a new dash coming out, and I'm sure 90% of you will love it as it's gorgeous. It's smooth and rounded. . .but you're just going to have to wait a month for the details

The problem is, most people are not realistic when it comes to budgeting for a dash change. Sure, if you want to put 50-100 hours into it and design your own, you can do it for a few hundred dollars. But if you seriously want to put in a dash that's been designed and won't take this kind of time, expect to honestly spend a minimum of $1000+++. The good ones are in the $3k range right now, finished.

pcwentworth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2005 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pcwentworthSend a Private Message to pcwentworthDirect Link to This Post
I would love that idea. Now for U or someone to have a kit that lets us drop the dash in and not only plug and play harness but a way to fix in those spots that don't look right by the pillers.
anyone?
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2005 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
The economics of dash swaps make it difficult to market a drop in kit at a price that most Fiero enthusiasts would pay.

A professional lke Archie or Norm could build such a kit but they would spend hundreds of hours developing it and since time is money to a professional they would have to recoup that money in the cost of the kit.

An amature like me could develop such a kit but I don't have hundreds of hours to devote to such an endeavour. Maybe if I ever finish my own car I can splash a copy of the pieces that make it look right and the idea of a kit can progress a little further. Until then you will have to devote the time to it yourself.

ToddCaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2005 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddCasterSend a Private Message to ToddCasterDirect Link to This Post
I hope you get this project out there for the Fiero Pubic, I have been also looking at trying to do the Trans Am door pannels. I am glad to see that you have done some of it with results. I must reread all of your posts when my head is not hurting :O)

Take care Todd

ToddCaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2005 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddCasterSend a Private Message to ToddCasterDirect Link to This Post

ToddCaster

18 posts
Member since Aug 2005
Oh by the way I would be very intrastead in the dash and door pannels all ready done to be installed

Let me knwo
Toddcaster1977@hotmail.com

Bubba G 1987 FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2005 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Bubba G 1987 FieroGTClick Here to visit Bubba G 1987 FieroGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Bubba G 1987 FieroGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by the need for speed:

the 300zx dash!!!!!!!!! A couple of people I thought were trying the z dash, but i think they made the instrument pod pretty damb ugle..screw those russians copy the piranha but then add a digital clock or something that would make it different.I dont know how patents work,or even if they have one or care since they dont want to make there dash!

Werd! .... I love the piranha interior ... but would like to use the 91 Caddy Seville instrument pannel (digital speedo and the other digital information screen below the radio)......

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2005 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Just so you know there is no copyright on the Pyranha...it was basically the work of one man, Alex Koulygine. He was working to market it as a kit

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/041016.html

but sadly his life was cut short by a motorcycle accident.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/047971.html

The fate of his car is uncertain. His familiy is reportedly interested in showing the car, but I doubt seriously that a kit will be made from it any time soon.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 26 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock