Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Mall
  GT Trunk seals (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 31 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
GT Trunk seals by infinitewill
Started on: 09-04-2009 07:39 PM
Replies: 1200 (47945 views)
Last post by: Skybax on 12-06-2021 04:07 PM
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2009 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A few of you know that I have been working on a "confidential project" but it light of the recent posts over in the General chat area I though I would bring it out in the open so as not to duplicate the efforts of others.

This morning I/we have just completed the tooling specs for an exact replacement of now out of production GT trunk seal. I have been working with one of the largest rubber gasket and molding extruders in the US and have done design work for them for years. The tooling itself is very complex and expensive and minimum quantities of the extruded gasket material are quite sizable. There are several issues that need to be addressed in order to move this project forward:

1) The gasket itself is composed of two different compounds of rubber, cellular and solid and is co-extruded along with a rigid metal clip that is embedded to grip the actual steel framework of the trunk surround. This poses a very big hurdle and several "tool dies" must be mated and the extrusion done in one piece.

2) The crush zone of the seal itself was designed to create a crease or grooved seal along the ridge of the underside of the trunk as well as the flat area of the trunk surface. If you look at the top "seam" on the trunk seal, you will notice the centerline was created intentionally to cause a uniform crease in the gasket. The has been duplicated.

3) The most common failure point in the seal is the underside of the crush zone and probably should be reinforced with a heavier gusset internally to prevent future failures. The problem with doing this reinforcement is that it changes the pliability of the gasket material itself. Our initial test have been very promising but until the gasket is tested in a real world application, we won't know if it will actually hold up better than the originals but lets face it, the NOS parts lasted 15+ years how much longer would someone expect?

4) The original was created using an embedded reinforcing thread material in the grip ribs that hold the gasket onto the steel frame. There was only one company in the US that produced such an extrusion and they have gone out business taking their patented system with them. Given the advancements of rubber and other synthetics as well as adhesives we do not feel the threading is actually needed in the replacement part.

5) Given that the only NOS parts that are still on the market are now well over 10 years old, even if in a sealed bag, the rubber will have lost some if not much of it's pliability. All carbon and petroleum based products have a shelf life and will eventually loose their flexibility. Also given that NOS examples are selling for $200+ we feel there could be an opportunity to produce an exact replacement for considerably less. Keep in mind that GM made in excess of 350,000 of these so their amortized cost is considerably lower that what we will be able to produce them for but we should be less than half of the current sell price of $200.

Now for the reality check, this project will take several more months to complete. The remaining who, what, when, where, why and how questions:

When: I am hoping to have a shipping product by the first of the year in time for the first spring shows but if our test extrusions are satisfactory we may be able to ship several weeks earlier. At this point I can't give a ship date until the tooling has been tested and samples have been field tested. I am not about to run several thousand feet of this material until I know for sure it meets or exceeds the factory product specs.

How (much): I am not in a position to give a final selling price at this point and given that we haven't finalized the co-extrusion standard, we don't know the exact cost of production. Using our initial estimates, we are shooting for well under the $100 price point. Back to the reality check now: If you are thinking you will be picking up a factory spec trunk seal for $30 a) you have a completely unrealistic idea of what it costs to produce these, b) you have no idea the R&D to make the tooling and co-extrusion work like the factory and c) you are probably not a candidate for this product. If, on the other hand you are interested in the highest quality part available and understand that the correct seal can save you a ton of money in trunk rust repair and aggravation alone, then your patience will be rewarded with a great solution to your problem.

I am not going to take orders on this product until it has been tested and further I am not taking deposits until we have a set price and firm ship date. I am not asking you to finance my venture. I am however, putting together a list of those interested in replacing their ragged GT trunk seal and for those who have custom trunks, we will be able to accommodate you as well. First on the list will be the first shipped. I also need to gauge interest to see if this is even worth perusing (I think it is, but my investment is sizable). Sooner or later nearly every GT Fiero will need a trunk seal replaced. I would rather make an exceptional product that will last rather than one that is "good enough". Quality is it's own reward. If you want to be put on the list, drop me a PM.

Best regards,

Will

••••• NOW AVAILABLE •••••

My GT Replacement Seals are now shipping and are priced at $95 + $15 shipping to the US (PM me for international shipping rates). Buy two and only pay the single shipping price! PM me your email address and I will send a PayPal invoice immediately.

\/\/

Thanks for the assist on the update
Danyel

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 04-19-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2009 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it ever happens, I would be interested in a couple of them.
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2009 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, thanks for doing this Will.
I'm sure that there will be a lot of owners who will be very interested in your product, I know that I will be.

Nolan
infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2009 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It happened by chance as I was doing some work for the company and I said to myself "self, if these people can't make it, nobody can". I was looking for a way to use my connections to build stuff that is out of production. I have several other ideas on the table but I want to get this in production and we will look at other products once this project in rolling. I will put both of you on the list if you would like.

\/\/
currie68

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2009 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for currie68Send a Private Message to currie68Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
HECK yes put me on the list too.............
Ratfink

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2009 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RatfinkSend a Private Message to RatfinkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent!
infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2009 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by currie68:

HECK yes put me on the list too.............

Added
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2009 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Please include me as well

Thanks
Nolan
infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2009 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sourmug:

Please include me as well

Thanks
Nolan

Added
Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2009 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
list me
02greens10

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2009 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 02greens10Send a Private Message to 02greens10Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I need 1 definitely ASAP and depending on price 1 or 2 more for other cars.
PFF
System Bot
daddyengineer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2009 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daddyengineerSend a Private Message to daddyengineerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will definitely be ready for one and depending on the price may buy more.

------------------
Scott

Dogcreek

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2009 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DogcreekSend a Private Message to DogcreekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Count me in!

Thanks,

Jeff

[This message has been edited by Dogcreek (edited 09-04-2009).]

infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2009 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Indiana_resto_guy:

list me

Originally posted by 02greens10:

I need 1 definitely ASAP and depending on price 1 or 2 more for other cars.

Originally posted by daddyengineer:

I will definitely be ready for one and depending on the price may buy more.

Originally posted by Dogcreek:

Count me in!

Thanks,

Jeff

Added
whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2009 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOL! just posted and already all the posts
Will,
you know I am in for 2
D.
infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2009 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Heck, you were the first person I told Dean! Even on the list before I posted it!
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2009 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make certain that I am included for two.
infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2009 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hnthomps:

Make certain that I am included for two.

You are second
tmur115

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2009 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tmur115Send a Private Message to tmur115Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
please put me down for 2

=todd=
fierocarparts

Feedback score:    (66)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2009 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
0 as I have sold all GTs.

[This message has been edited by fierocarparts (edited 04-18-2010).]

flimbob

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2009 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for flimbobSend a Private Message to flimbobEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
in for 2
PFF
System Bot
87GT2M6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2009 02:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT2M6Send a Private Message to 87GT2M6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
add me to the list
infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2009 07:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tmur115:

please put me down for 2

=todd=

Originally posted by fierocarparts:

Originally posted by flimbob:

in for 2

Originally posted by 87GT2M6:

add me to the list

Added

Maloso

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2009 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MalosoSend a Private Message to MalosoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Add me for one please.

Tony
FastFieros

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 265
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2009 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastFierosClick Here to visit FastFieros's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastFierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will help in buying 1 or 2....

http://www.fastfieros.com
infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2009 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Maloso:

Add me for one please.

Tony

Originally posted by FastFieros:

I will help in buying 1 or 2....

Added
whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2009 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are they done yet?
JOKE!
Turbowedge

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2009 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TurbowedgeSend a Private Message to TurbowedgeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are almost 18k members on this site alone. Now I realize that there are alot of notchies out there, but alot of us on here have at least two Fieros. I myself have four, and two of those are fastbacks. So I think you have our attention and support. You can mark me down for at least two, and good luck to your R & D. We all will come out ahead with your efforts.
CowsPatoot

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2009 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Me too...I'm in for one down the road. About the time you get these ready, I will be ready to buy.
infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2009 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by whodeanie:

Are they done yet?
JOKE!

Uh, yea I was just about to send yours out, yea that's the ticket. And for FREE, I will pay YOU to take these, yea..... (Jon Lovitz is a master)
infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2009 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

infinitewill

2327 posts
Member since Mar 2009

Originally posted by Turbowedge:

There are almost 18k members on this site alone. Now I realize that there are alot of notchies out there, but alot of us on here have at least two Fieros. I myself have four, and two of those are fastbacks. So I think you have our attention and support. You can mark me down for at least two, and good luck to your R & D. We all will come out ahead with your efforts.

Originally posted by CowsPatoot:

Me too...I'm in for one down the road. About the time you get these ready, I will be ready to buy.

Added

PFF
System Bot
FieroJonney

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2009 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJonneySend a Private Message to FieroJonneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Put me down for one. I just had to repair the rust in my trunk... :-(
This is a smart investment.
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2009 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the price is reasonable count me in for one. Dan
infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2009 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroJonney:

Put me down for one. I just had to repair the rust in my trunk... :-(
This is a smart investment.

Originally posted by FIEROFLYER:

If the price is reasonable count me in for one. Dan

Added
DanFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2009 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanFieroSend a Private Message to DanFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd be in for one if the price is right!!

Dan
infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2009 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DanFiero:

I'd be in for one if the price is right!!

Dan

Added
Rodrv6

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2009 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rodrv6Send a Private Message to Rodrv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Add me to the list, too!

------------------
Rod Schneider, Woodstock, Ga.
"You can't have too many toys!"
1988 Fiero GT
1985 Porsche 944
1966 Porsche 911
Van's RV-6 airplane-under construction

infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2009 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodrv6:

Add me to the list, too!

Added
mid engine monsters

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2009 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mid engine monstersSend a Private Message to mid engine monstersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
me too ...of course
Indiana87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2009 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana87GTSend a Private Message to Indiana87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will absolutely order one when they are available.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 31 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock