Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Mall
  GT Trunk seals (Page 12)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 31 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
GT Trunk seals by infinitewill
Started on: 09-04-2009 07:39 PM
Replies: 1200 (48003 views)
Last post by: Skybax on 12-06-2021 04:07 PM
whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2010 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't wait to see these in person, Great job Will, way to hang in there
D.
IP: Logged
Sage

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2010 07:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump for a shipping status update.....................

HAGO!
Larryh86GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2010 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Larryh86GTSend a Private Message to Larryh86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I received my seal yesterday. I haven't had a chance to install it yet but it looks real nice.
Larry
americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2010 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
lets see these installed on someones car!
GS Jon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2010 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GS JonClick Here to visit GS Jon's HomePageSend a Private Message to GS JonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got mine yesterday as well, will leave feedback soon. Just wanted to let everyone know these things look great and are really showing up on our doorsteps, so get in on these seals while you can!
ARFiero

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2010 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ARFieroSend a Private Message to ARFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got mine yesterday as well. Will these are amazing. Thanks for the great product.

Shelby
Larryh86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2010 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Larryh86GTSend a Private Message to Larryh86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, let me be the first to post pictures of Will's GT seal. It fits perfectly. At first I was wondering about the fit but then realized I had to press it into place. My old seal was so sloppy it just slide on with no effort. (and thus not a great seal either.) This is a winner guys.

This is my ratty patched up seal.

The new seal in place.

View from the passenger side.

View from the driver side and showing the fit around the latch.

If you need a new GT seal it's time to step up and and order it from Will.
Larry

------------------

"Life is short.
Drink the good wine first"

[This message has been edited by Larryh86GT (edited 05-01-2010).]

California Kid

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2010 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Question on above pictures with new seal installed: Are you sure you installed the seal correctly, by stretching lengths so they aren't in compression ? Reason for question is that it doesn't appear that the corners are going there correct position, meaning they are being pulled inboard. From your photo's, either the individual lengths are too short, or installation needs to be readdressed.

Not a flame, just an observation.
Larryh86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2010 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Larryh86GTSend a Private Message to Larryh86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The seal is installed correctly. I just went and rechecked it. No stretching or compression. It is tight to the steel lip all the way around and in tight to all 4 corners. Again: a perfect fit.

Larry

[This message has been edited by Larryh86GT (edited 05-01-2010).]

fierogt28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2010 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by California Kid:

Question on above pictures with new seal installed: Are you sure you installed the seal correctly, by stretching lengths so they aren't in compression ? Reason for question is that it doesn't appear that the corners are going there correct position, meaning they are being pulled inboard. From your photo's, either the individual lengths are too short, or installation needs to be readdressed.

Not a flame, just an observation.

True...
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2010 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I mark the seals for correct installation. The red sticker is on the short (engine side).

Looking good Larry

\/\/
PFF
System Bot
mike cook

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2010 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mike cookSend a Private Message to mike cookEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
in the last picture is the corner coming apart or not ???
infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2010 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mike cook:

With 3 bonding agents, 2 of which that are heat cured, the only way that corner is coming apart is in a tug-of-war and even then the rubber will fail before the joint will.

I think you are seeing a reflection

\/\/
mike cook

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2010 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mike cookSend a Private Message to mike cookEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
cool they look really well made and like said before with todays compounds should last along time glad this venture is going good for you
Larryh86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2010 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Larryh86GTSend a Private Message to Larryh86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mike cook:

Nothing coming apart on it Mike. And just look at my old seal compared to the new seal.
Larry
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2010 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good.

Judging from the pictures, it looks like it fits exactly the way my NOS one does. Thanks for taking on this project and seeing it through until the end.
mike cook

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2010 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mike cookSend a Private Message to mike cookEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
did not mean to offend anyone just looking at picture wrong sorry it is a nice seal
California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2010 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by infinitewill:

I mark the seals for correct installation. The red sticker is on the short (engine side).

Looking good Larry

\/\/

I truly admire the efforts of people making reproduction parts, I mean that. However I do want to understand what I'm getting in advance, please explain the difference shown in the below picture:

Full photo of Factory Seal to show all corner fully in position:

[This message has been edited by California Kid (edited 05-01-2010).]

infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2010 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting comparison. You might notice how the factory seal was seated on Larry's car, which is nearly identical to the new seals shape. Maybe the problem isn't the seal, but more likely the shape of his trunk lip? My car current car (the one in the video) doesn't look like Larry's either but it isn't as square as your example which fits exceptionally square (very nice BTW).

I hope this clarifies things a little.

Best regards,

Will
FieroMonkey

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2010 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMonkeySend a Private Message to FieroMonkeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can see his OEM seal fits just as badly. No offense Larry, I like your car, just for the record.

Originally posted by Larryh86GT:

This is my ratty patched up seal.

If you look at the green circles I have added to cali kids image below, you can see on Larry's GT that the bottom edge of the seal starts riding right up against the part of the fastback clip that bends up towards the decklid and tail lights. In the pic on the right, the yellow GT, in the green circle you can see there is a near 1/4 inch gap that runs the entire length of the bottom edge of the seal.

On Larry's, if the seal is pulling too much towards the back of the car and up the clip as it appears to be, that could account for why the corners are pulling in to the trunk area and away from the sides of clip where it should be making a nice flush and straight seal.

The reproduction seal in his video doesn't seem to have the issue from what I can tell and it looks like the bottom edge in the vid isn't riding up the back of the fastback clip either. you can see the near 1/4 inch gap as it should be.

[This message has been edited by FieroMonkey (edited 05-02-2010).]

California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2010 02:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the replies, appears to be a "body issue" from the comments made. I know you can stretch or compress a few millimeters on installation, his car seems to have variations beyond that limit.
PFF
System Bot
an88_fierodiva

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2010 06:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for an88_fierodivaClick Here to visit an88_fierodiva's HomePageSend a Private Message to an88_fierodivaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by infinitewill:

I did miss your previous post! I will check shipping rates to the UK and PM you when I have more information!

Thanks,

\/\/

Any joy m8 - many thanks
Larryh86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2010 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Larryh86GTSend a Private Message to Larryh86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMonkey:

You can see his OEM seal fits just as badly. No offense Larry, I like your car, just for the record.

Hey no offense taken. I know my GT was involved in a collision back in 1992 according to Carfax. I suspect it was rearended. The old seal never fit on properly and I never noticed the distortion or had another GT to compare it to. I would never had posted my pictures had I known it as I wouldn't wish any harm to Will's project. Even with my distorted trunk the seal fits all the way around and into the corners and it looks a world better than my old seal. Maybe someone who has the new seal and a square trunk opening would post a picture of it and put the issue to rest.

Larry (my GT's been beaten and rode hard but I still lover her)
FieroMonkey

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2010 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMonkeySend a Private Message to FieroMonkeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hey no offense taken. I know my GT was involved in a collision back in 1992 according to Carfax. I suspect it was rearended. The old seal never fit on properly and I never noticed the distortion or had another GT to compare it to. I would never had posted my pictures had I known it as I wouldn't wish any harm to Will's project. Even with my distorted trunk the seal fits all the way around and into the corners and it looks a world better than my old seal. Maybe someone who has the new seal and a square trunk opening would post a picture of it and put the issue to rest.

Larry (my GT's been beaten and rode hard but I still lover her)

It should be a relatively easy fix, if you want to that is. Sounds like it isn't a major issue really since the seal does it's job and is really only a minor alignment issue anyways.
I think the upper metal edge is what the seal hooks onto and if I recall it is relatively easy to bend and shape the trunk metal there. It could probably be bent or pried in towards the trunk pretty easily.

I have owned a few Fieros, and most of them had been tapped in one place or another. Over the 20+ years these cars have been on the road it is a miracle when you find one that hasn't at least been bumped at one point. Good thing these are so many parts out there to straighten them out again. Yours looks good to me!
infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2010 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Given that there are so many "crooked" body panels out there I am wondering if it might be prudent to look at modifying my tooling. It "might" be possible to make the outer flange a few mm longer (it is already long than stock) but I really hate to mess with somerhing that is finally correct. Each tooling set is $4k+ and it will likely not make that big of a difference.

I'll look into it for the next extrusion run (won't be for several months) but no promises.

\/\/

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 05-02-2010).]

California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2010 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is the installation sequence I use when installing the seal:

- Seat corner 1 through 4 first, making sure they are fully seated, sometimes requires a lot of force, take care not to damage seal bulb.

- Seat short legs, start at center, push on toward each corner

- Seat long legs, start at center, push toward each corner as numbered on illustration below:

I remove my seal just about every time the car goes into the shop so that it doesn't get damaged (it's an easy thing to lean on when working in the engine compartment, and the seal bulb doesn't like too much force pushed against it (reason for bulb tears). This method has always given me a great fit the first time, without having to do it over. It's kinda like torquing a cylinder head down properly.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2010 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Received mine Thursday or Friday.
Was busy getting ready for the swap meet, so I neglected to post.

Nice job!
Thanks!
Bruce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2010 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will,
I was on the "interested" list, so please let me know when and how I can order.
You can e-mail me at bidenn@hotmail.com.
Thanks!
bb
infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2010 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bruce:

Will,
I was on the "interested" list, so please let me know when and how I can order.
You can e-mail me at bidenn@hotmail.com.
Thanks!
bb

Bruce,

Invoice sent

Will
ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2010 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was on the waiting list as well and am ready to purchase

Thanks,
AL

[This message has been edited by ALJR (edited 05-03-2010).]

MattMan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2010 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MattManSend a Private Message to MattManEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will,

I would like to get one of these seals from you. Please PM me the information on how you would like payment.

Matt
PFF
System Bot
daddyengineer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2010 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daddyengineerSend a Private Message to daddyengineerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will,

I haven't seen any thing yet, can you give me an idea of when mine might be shipped?

Thanks,

------------------
Scott

infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2010 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by daddyengineer:

Will,

I haven't seen any thing yet, can you give me an idea of when mine might be shipped?

Thanks,

Scott,

Check your email. I just sent your the tracking information from the USPS web site. It shows they attempted to deliver your seals last Thusrday and left notice on your door (the package is insured). I also just left a message on your voice mail as there was no answer at the number your PM'd me.

Will
timcha

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2010 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timchaSend a Private Message to timchaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My old 86 (oem) seal fit much better than the one on my 88 does.....the 88 looks like the pics above in which the seal doesn't appear to reach the plastic body panels. It also leaks like a sieve........and I can find NO evidence the car has ever been hit hard enough to move any panels........soooo.....
flimbob

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2010 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for flimbobSend a Private Message to flimbobEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will,

Where am I on the shipping list?

Michael
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2010 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The new seal in place.

glad to hear this.

question... whats the cord for? block heater?
Larryh86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2010 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Larryh86GTSend a Private Message to Larryh86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by americasfuture2k:

glad to hear this.

question... whats the cord for? block heater?

It's a battery charger/maintainer for our cold winter months here.

daddyengineer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2010 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daddyengineerSend a Private Message to daddyengineerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got mine, either the post office put the delivery notice in the wrong box here (They like to deliver our mail to different addresses - maybe they think it helps us socialize), or the daughter lost it when she got the mail. Thanks for the reply Will. I plan on installing one tomorrow on my 88.

------------------
Scott

LT188GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2010 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got mine today and put away for future use.
GTMN

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2010 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTMNSend a Private Message to GTMNEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got mine last week, looks great, will install sometime in the future. maybe I'll actually get to it this summer.
Thanks again, Will, for seeing this thing through!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 31 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock