Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Mall
  GT Trunk seals (Page 11)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 31 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
GT Trunk seals by infinitewill
Started on: 09-04-2009 07:39 PM
Replies: 1200 (47999 views)
Last post by: Skybax on 12-06-2021 04:07 PM
LT188GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2010 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you.
IP: Logged
GS Jon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2010 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GS JonClick Here to visit GS Jon's HomePageSend a Private Message to GS JonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you Will. I will admit that I skipped the main page and just took a link straight to here, so I apologize for missing your PM to me. As I said in the PM, thanks for all you do for the Fiero community, and I hope you get some rest after your travels. I'll let you know when the seal arrives!
Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2010 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can't wait tho see them!
On the list 1st page.

Will be looking at first impressions too.
infinitewill, do you think the bonded corners will last over time?
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2010 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Indiana_resto_guy:

Can't wait tho see them!
On the list 1st page.

Will be looking at first impressions too.
infinitewill, do you think the bonded corners will last over time?

The plant that extrudes my stock is an OEM fabricator for both GM and Ford so I am going to have to bow to their expertise. When the original seals were designed and built super adhesives didn't exist so they basically melted a bunch of rubber into the corners. From what I can tell the main failure point is inside the trunk area along the long edges (but certainly not always). My corners are bonded with an adhesive that costs $68 an ounce (so it better freakin' work! ) the corners are sealed on the back side as well. Given that the original lasted about 20 years each I am not sure how much longer you could expect it to last. Rubber after all doesn't last forever but the compounds used today are far superior to what was on the market 20-25 years ago.

\/\/

Indiana_resto_guy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2010 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by infinitewill:

The plant that extrudes my stock is an OEM fabricator for both GM and Ford so I am going to have to bow to their expertise. When the original seals were designed and built super adhesives didn't exist so they basically melted a bunch of rubber into the corners. From what I can tell the main failure point is inside the trunk area along the long edges (but certainly not always). My corners are bonded with an adhesive that costs $68 an ounce (so it better freakin' work! ) the corners are sealed on the back side as well. Given that the original lasted about 20 years each I am not sure how much longer you could expect it to last. Rubber after all doesn't last forever but the compounds used today are far superior to what was on the market 20-25 years ago.

\/\/

Thanks for the prompt answer.
You are 100% correct on the failure points as I just did a temporary fix to one on all four sides on the internal edge. I don't think it will last for long. I have yet to see a factory seal fail at the corner.
Expect to see my order soon. Knowing that you do a boat load of travel for you real job, how many are you able to glue up when your at home (seems like weekends only if your lucky) and how long does it take to cure?
infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2010 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks for the prompt answer.
You are 100% correct on the failure points as I just did a temporary fix to one on all four sides on the internal edge. I don't think it will last for long. I have yet to see a factory seal fail at the corner.
Expect to see my order soon. Knowing that you do a boat load of travel for you real job, how many are you able to glue up when your at home (seems like weekends only if your lucky) and how long does it take to cure?

The bonding itself is only in a matter of minutes with the new adhesive now that the weather has warmed up, but I let it cure over night. The problem was getting precision jigs made up and having the raw footage on hand, both of which are now addressed. By the end of April I will have several finished seals on hand to fill orders on demand. I will make them up ahead of time as I already have the raw extrusion material.
DIY_Stu

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Get ready to spend every spare minute working on these. And it never stops.
Indiana_resto_guy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DIY_Stu:

Get ready to spend every spare minute working on these. And it never stops.

LOL! Nobody would know better but you STU, I'm a great fan. Your stuff is better than OEM!
DIY_Stu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sounds like these seals are better than oem too!
Indiana_resto_guy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sounds like these seals are better than oem too!

Can't wait to see them

Hey DIY_Stu, I just noticed your lack of feedback.
What's up with that??
infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As promised here is a detail shot of the corner joints and full seal

And a video of the installed prototype seal

PLEASE NOTE:

The video is of a seal that did not have the stippled bonding agent applied yet. The close up photo above is of the final production corner.

\/\/

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 04-17-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
DIY_Stu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Can't wait to see them

Hey DIY_Stu, I just noticed your lack of feedback.
What's up with that??

Awe it's no biggie. Most people forget that feature's there and I usually don't have the time to remember it's there either. I think I have over 50 people I need to leave feedback for. but I'd have to make the long list first.

Will those corners look great! nice even and strong looking. Good job on them.

[This message has been edited by DIY_Stu (edited 04-17-2010).]

infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Will those corners look great! nice even and strong looking. Good job on them.

Stu,

The adhesive I ended up using (black death basically) is unbelievably strong. It didn't need the sealer over it at all but I thought it would look much closer to the original heat vulcanized corners. I was able to ship out several seals today but I am still waiting on my final shipping boxes. Now all I need to do is start building some inventory so people won't have to wait so long but this first run turned out far better than I could have hoped for.

Step right up folk's the store is OPEN

\/\/

Indiana_resto_guy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 07:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Paypal for two sent.
Excellent looking seal!
Can't wait to try one out.
Larryh86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Larryh86GTSend a Private Message to Larryh86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Stu,

The adhesive I ended up using (black death basically) is unbelievably strong. It didn't need the sealer over it at all but I thought it would look much closer to the original heat vulcanized corners. I was able to ship out several seals today but I am still waiting on my final shipping boxes. Now all I need to do is start building some inventory so people won't have to wait so long but this first run turned out far better than I could have hoped for.

Step right up folk's the store is OPEN

\/\/

I'll be watching for my seal. This is like Christmas in April.
Larry

[This message has been edited by Larryh86GT (edited 04-18-2010).]

infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Paypal for two sent.
Excellent looking seal!
Can't wait to try one out.

Keith, got it
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello Will
I would suggest to you .. Edit your first post and insert price, pic and video of the seal.. that way people wont have to read the whole 11 pages to find the price and shipping. I will be ordering one soon ... but right now I've got alot of work on the Widow beforehand
Thanks
your canadian friend
Danyel

------------------

http://www.blackwidowfiero.com

[This message has been edited by Danyel (edited 04-18-2010).]

an88_fierodiva

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for an88_fierodivaClick Here to visit an88_fierodiva's HomePageSend a Private Message to an88_fierodivaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Will - looks good. Not sure you saw my previous post but can you confirm shipping to the UK please.

Thanks
fierocarparts

Feedback score:    (66)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Danyel:

Hello Will
I would suggest to you .. Edit your first post and insert price, pic and video of the seal.. that way people wont have to read the whole 11 pages to find the price and shipping. I will be ordering one soon ... but right now I've got alot of work on the Widow beforehand
Thanks
your canadian friend
Danyel

I agree! I posted on front page and when it gets this LONG, it is too much trouble to read through the whole thing. Also Steele Rubber Products are interested in marketing this product as well. I will get you contact info or you can look them up on the web.

Found it so thought I'd put it on most recent page. Looks like a good product!
Originally posted by deezil:

How Much are they and where do I Order one?

The seal is $95 + $15 flat rate shipping. PM me your name and email address and I will send you a PayPal invoice.

Will

------------------
Life is just SO much better when you own AND drive a Fiero!

[This message has been edited by fierocarparts (edited 04-18-2010).]

infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by an88_fierodiva:

Hi Will - looks good. Not sure you saw my previous post but can you confirm shipping to the UK please.

Thanks

I did miss your previous post! I will check shipping rates to the UK and PM you when I have more information!

Thanks,

\/\/

------------------
Is your Fastback GT's trunk seal shot? My replacement GT trunk seals are now in production and shipping. $95 + $15 flat rate shipping to the US (contact me for international shipping rates) or buy two and pay only a single shipping rate! More info can be found here GT Trunk Seal Project

infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

infinitewill

2327 posts
Member since Mar 2009

Originally posted by Danyel:

Hello Will
Thanks
your canadian friend
Danyel

Danyel,

Good idea

Done!

Will

------------------
Is your Fastback GT's trunk seal shot? My replacement GT trunk seals are now in production and shipping. $95 + $15 flat rate shipping to the US (contact me for international shipping rates) or buy two and pay only a single shipping rate! More info can be found here GT Trunk Seal Project

PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

<snip>

<snip>

Oh my!

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 04-18-2010).]

LaFierte

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2010 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LaFierteSend a Private Message to LaFierteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
not that it needs it but bump... just so its easier to find when I decide to order one... (need at least one)
LT188GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2010 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will how many seals have you mailed out so far?

FieroMonkey

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2010 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMonkeySend a Private Message to FieroMonkeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

PLEASE NOTE:

The video is of a seal that did not have the stippled bonding agent applied yet. The close up photo above is of the final production corner.

\/\/

Damn impressive, well done!

------------------

[This message has been edited by FieroMonkey (edited 04-20-2010).]

02greens10

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2010 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 02greens10Send a Private Message to 02greens10Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If these are done and only awaiting payment then send me a paypal address.
daddyengineer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2010 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daddyengineerSend a Private Message to daddyengineerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The pictures and video make them look great, but I bet it will look even better on my 88 GT. Can't wait to get them and put one of them on it. Thanks for working through this for us, Will.

------------------
Scott

Indiana_resto_guy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2010 07:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 02greens10:

If these are done and only awaiting payment then send me a paypal address.

Send him a PM and tell hin how many and he will send you an invoice with the info.
Gokart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2010 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Will. I believe you added me to your list via pm's. I'd like to pay for one please PM me your paypal info.
Thanks, Marc

------------------

infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2010 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey gang,

The first run has shipped and I will send the second run out starting tomorrow morning. Those of you who have already sent in payment, please check you PM's

Will
m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2010 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
it wouldnt surprise me for the fierostore to order 100 of these, and sell them online for $149.95 each to make alittle profit.

people who dont know about PFF will find the fierostore and buy stuff like crazy once they find a place that sells hard to get fiero parts.

matthew
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2010 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hey gang,

The first run has shipped and I will send the second run out starting tomorrow morning. Those of you who have already sent in payment, please check you PM's

Will

Will,

My payment was sent on 2/21. (Pg. 9 of this thread.)
Haven't heard anything yet.
Am I part of the first or second run?

Thanks.
Steve

ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2010 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by m0sh_man:

it wouldnt surprise me for the fierostore to order 100 of these, and sell them online for $149.95 each to make alittle profit.

people who dont know about PFF will find the fierostore and buy stuff like crazy once they find a place that sells hard to get fiero parts.

matthew

Nothing wrong with that... Sounds like a win-win for everyone...
RossT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2010 05:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RossTClick Here to visit RossT's HomePageSend a Private Message to RossTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now if only you would do the t-top seals?
JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2010 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RossT:

The tooling costs to make the T-Top seals would be outrageous. Will would have to sell 1 set of T-Top seals for every T-Top Fiero made and he still would not re-coupe the costs. The selling price would be so high that no one would buy them.

Will already has over $12K into the trunk seals.
infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2010 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Will,

My payment was sent on 2/21. (Pg. 9 of this thread.)
Haven't heard anything yet.
Am I part of the first or second run?

Thanks.
Steve

Steve,

You seal went out yesterday. You should have had a tracking number sent to your PayPal email address.

Will
infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2010 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
***** UPDATE *****

Second run started shipping yesterday. Mark (woodrow50) you are up next.

Will
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2010 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Steve,

You seal went out yesterday. You should have had a tracking number sent to your PayPal email address.

Will

Just got my tracking.

Thanks Will!

infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2010 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RossT:

RossT,

As JimmyS mentioned the tooling cost of doing T-Top seals is prohibitive (at least for me). The cheapest bid I received was just over $50K for the tooling alone and then a minimum of 250 sets would be another $35K for the raw materials alone. I am not about to front that kind of money on such a limited market and then sit on inventory while people "think about it".

\/\/
ARFiero

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2010 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ARFieroSend a Private Message to ARFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got the Tracking number . Thanks

Shelby

[This message has been edited by ARFiero (edited 04-25-2010).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 31 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock