Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Haus of Guru: The Ultimate Car Build Off (Page 6)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 15 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Haus of Guru: The Ultimate Car Build Off by bmwguru
Started on: 01-29-2011 11:02 AM
Replies: 577 (43721 views)
Last post by: Charlie64 on 11-19-2017 09:51 PM
exoticse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2011 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bump.
IP: Logged
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2011 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not a lot to post pics of for the last few days.

We've been sanding a lot & assembling a few things for the last couple of days.

Today is Tuesday & we should be done by Thursday.

We plan to put a coat of primer on it before Joey picks it up this weekend.

For filling in the arrowheads we had already laid up a coupl of layers of glass on the insides of the area in front of the front side marker light.

We removed the arrowhead then scuffed it up & laid up a filler of short strans fibre filler. Then we glassed over it.

From baking out in the sun for a few years, the roof & original hood had the plastic material on the edges popping out.

We corrected the hood by just using another hood we had. The roof panel had to be fixed. We did the best we could to repair it.

Sanding & fitting & checking the gaps etc.

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 06-21-2011).]

Charlie64

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2011 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good deal Archie. Glad you were able to do something with the roof and hood since they got "cooked" in north TX in someone's driveway. Looking forward to getting this back and having it painted. I'm thinking Corvette yellow, but I saw one at the dealership Saturday that was midnight blue. My wife and I saw a Nissan GT-R yesterday in downtown DC that was kind of a matte black (had no gloss at all) and she actually commented that she liked that. Go figure. Glad the wheel spacers worked out on the rear wheels. My next project is getting the wheels widened to 10" then going to 285s. PM sent.

[This message has been edited by Charlie64 (edited 06-21-2011).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2011 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Charlie64:

Good deal Archie. Glad you were able to do something with the roof and hood since they got "cooked" in north TX in someone's driveway. Looking forward to getting this back and having it painted. I'm thinking Corvette yellow, but I saw one at the dealership Saturday that was midnight blue. My wife and I saw a Nissan GT-R yesterday in downtown DC that was kind of a matte black (had no gloss at all) and she actually commented that she liked that. Go figure. Glad the wheel spacers worked out on the rear wheels. My next project is getting the wheels widened to 10" then going to 285s. PM sent.

Charlie the car is looking awesome ! If you are looking to widen your wheels, you might check these guys out, they have one of the best reps in the industry.

http://www.weldcraftwheels.com/index.html

You going wing or no wing ?

Any plans for the decklid ?
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2011 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Going no wing. Also, these are the guys I'm communicating with about my wheels. $215 per wheel with a 4week turn around.
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2011 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Tomorrow, It's all about putting it all back together.
85LAMB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85LAMBSend a Private Message to 85LAMBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Archie

I really like how you relocated the lock cylinders on the door skiins

Could you please, post a couple of pics of how you modified the bracket that holds the lock cylinder ?

I think this is the first car that I notice that modification on, that looks good and is still funtional.

Thanks in advance
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85LAMB:

Archie

I really like how you relocated the lock cylinders on the door skiins

Could you please, post a couple of pics of how you modified the bracket that holds the lock cylinder ?

I think this is the first car that I notice that modification on, that looks good and is still funtional.

Thanks in advance

Thanks

I'm sorry but I didn't take any pics of that.

Seriously, I should have taken pics but I didn't.

Archie
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999
Well, It's done & awaiting a road trip.

I think it looks pretty good.

If anyone wants to make any special picture requests LMK, the car is leaving tomorrow morning.

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 06-24-2011).]

Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Does that about sum it up?
Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Damn archie, that is just really beautiful...... About how many hours does it take to complete one of these kit installs like that? Really makes that car look amazing..peace

Pete
PFF
System Bot
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Does that about sum it up?

I concur.....

BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome job Archie!
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2011 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks all.

She's on her way.......

Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2011 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Archie,
You might mention to her that pretty girls are MUCH more appealing when they are not flipping you off....!! Nice car man really like the sidescoops. Honestly while I like the choptops the shape of that car really makes the factory roof look great. Kinda musclecar with a touch of european supercar thrown in just for good measure... nice work. Peace

Pete

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2011 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Car is going to really look good when you get the chin spoiler back on.

Alas somebody had got to come up with a more durable version of it so they are more practical.
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2011 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now that phase 2 of the project is complete we prep for phase 3 (painting). Thanks Archie for completing it on such a tight schedule and thanks Joey for doing all the hauling. In the interim I've ordered larger rear tires (per Dave's specs) and two more wheels I'm sending to Weldcraft Wheels to have them widened to 10". I'm sticking with 17" wheels because of the road conditions here and don't want to have to buy a new wheel anytime I hit a pothole. The final phase (4) will involve some changes to the sound system (changing out my two 2 channel Fosgate Punch 200s and installing a Kicker 350.4 and 400.1 amps as well as a Kicker Comp VR 10" sub. I'm looking for magnetic sheilding to put inside the sub box. I've already got a mount for my portable XM radio and I'm set for my GPS. One final change I would make is my seats (either removing the "prancing horse" embroidery or replacing the seats).

I was trying to experiment with Photoshop to see what my car would look like in a Corvette or Ford GT yellow as well as a midnight blue I saw on a new Corvette, but I guess I'm not as proficient as others are. All I'm able to get is a yellow or blue blob. Can someone out there with photoshop skills help me with that?

[This message has been edited by Charlie64 (edited 06-26-2011).]

thismanyfieros

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2011 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
just damn sexy!! and some balls to boot..nice job guru and archie..i vote for the blue..just cuz if it turns out sweet thats the color i am debating..tim
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2011 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lookinf good. GReat Job by Archie and crew again.

------------------
1985 Fiero GT 4speed 1986 Fiero GT
1994 BMW 530 V8 1997 BMW 328 85 300ZX

FieroNews~Boots~Bag's~Walle ts~Headliner~Spare Cover~
Visors~Sunshads and T-Top Sunshades~Download the Fieronews Catalog HERE~

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 04:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Charlie we worked up a choptop version of your car,....check it out !

//www.fiero.nl/forum/F...1/HTML/048337-8.html
nathrak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 04:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nathrakSend a Private Message to nathrakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tony...........it's 4am WTF???
PFF
System Bot
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nathrak:

Tony...........it's 4am WTF???

yeah what are you doing up at this hour !?

Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks great. How about a paint job now? Looking to compare a Corvette yellow or midnight blue.

Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2011 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok...here's my attempt at photoshop, but I think this would be way cool....a targa top!

I'm sure someone else can do this much better.

[This message has been edited by Charlie64 (edited 06-29-2011).]

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2011 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ok...here's my attempt at photoshop, but I think this would be way cool....a targa top!

Don't do a Targa, you'll regret it.

Archie
F355spider

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2011 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

Don't do a Targa, you'll regret it.

Archie

I guess it would depend on who did the Targa ? Archie could do it for you.
The car looks good. Where did the brake kit come from? Those brakes are sweet.

Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2011 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a "what if" thought Archie.

Anyway, I got the brakes from Westshore Fabricators (formerly Held Motorsport). I opted for these over the 4 piston setup.

[This message has been edited by Charlie64 (edited 06-30-2011).]

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2011 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by F355spider:

I guess it would depend on who did the Targa ? Archie could do it for you.

I would never do a Targa on a Fiero.

I've seen way too many Fieros turn into "parts cars" by people who put (or had installed) Targas on them.

When you cut to roof off of a Fiero, you better be ready to build a lot of reinforcement into the chassis to avoid flex & cowl shake.

The simple little frame reinforcement use on a lot of convertable Fieros won't get it done.

Just ask Chester.

No matter how much frame work you do, your Fiero will never be as solid as it was with a roof on it.

Archie
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2011 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

I would never do a Targa on a Fiero.

I've seen way too many Fieros turn into "parts cars" by people who put (or had installed) Targas on them.

When you cut to roof off of a Fiero, you better be ready to build a lot of reinforcement into the chassis to avoid flex & cowl shake.

The simple little frame reinforcement use on a lot of convertable Fieros won't get it done.

Just ask Chester.

No matter how much frame work you do, your Fiero will never be as solid as it was with a roof on it.

Archie

Archie, could chester's car be restored to non-targa status ?
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2011 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Charlie has officially taken possession of his car. We picked it up from Archie to finish the WB tuning and a few other odds and ends. I did discover that the MAF that was purchased from ZZP was causing a lean condition up top and with a new MAF installed, the engine was back in the safe zone.
I'll let Charlie enjoy his new ride for a while and it will most likely be coming back here for some more mods this winter.

Dave
F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2011 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

Archie, could chester's car be restored to non-targa status ?

Not to speak for Archie but Yes it could, anything can be done to a car that is why I love them so much. I wish I could get a hold of it. I would like to see it fixed but left as a targa top and use the frame connectors I made on making a 355spider kit car. I am the only one I have seen that braced the car that way and it was solid. At one time I had video of it titer tottering on two jack stands one on the left front wheel and the other on the right rear. The X braces and supporting the floor does nothing you need a solid frame front to back then you have a solid car. I really like that car very sharp.
PFF
System Bot
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2011 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmwguru:

Charlie has officially taken possession of his car. We picked it up from Archie to finish the WB tuning and a few other odds and ends. I did discover that the MAF that was purchased from ZZP was causing a lean condition up top and with a new MAF installed, the engine was back in the safe zone.
I'll let Charlie enjoy his new ride for a while and it will most likely be coming back here for some more mods this winter.

Dave

You are correct, Dave! It was quite a site this morning to see Joey and her "road crew" (aka: Dave and Joey's kids) waiting for me at my house. We headed off to the paint shop and as soon as everything was set I wanted Joey and the kids to be on their way so they wouldn't be caught in the holiday exodus trying to get back home.

For me it just has more of a "presence" now that it's a widebody.

Joey was nice enough not to charge me for the "bird crap".

Now that a color has been decided upon...they will get right to work on my car Tuesday morning with an anticipated completion by July 15th. The shop will be posting pictures (and possibly video) of their progress as well. The wheels I sent to Weldcraft Wheels for widening should be back by the end of this month. While waiting for the wheels I'll be installing Kicker amps and a new sub. I'm also planning on sending the seatbacks to Mr. Mike to remove the prancing horse logo and replace it with the Fiero logo.

Stay tuned.....

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2011 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man that just looks sexy !

Charlie does it look as good in person as you expected ?

Which color did you decide btw ??
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 07:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd have to say even better than I expected. Yesterday afternoon I had a Lamborghini Murcielago pass by me. I'm thinking to myself....a few more weeks pal. The color will be millenium yellow (used on Corvette).
ConvictedRedneck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Car looks amazing! Props to all parties involved in the build. Are you planning on keeping the GT front fascia? I personally think it looks better with it on. On a car this nice I think it pays tribute better to the original Fiero design more-so than an aftermarket bumper would. Either way, looking forward to paint pics!
mptighe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Joey was nice enough not to charge me for the "bird crap".

You really can't put a price on those extra little touches the Haus throws in. They really go out of their way to leave their mark on every build
N3M3S1S

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Even in primer that car is GORGEOUS. It's incredible. Can't wait to see it painted!
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2011 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ConvictedRedneck:

Car looks amazing! Props to all parties involved in the build. Are you planning on keeping the GT front fascia? I personally think it looks better with it on. On a car this nice I think it pays tribute better to the original Fiero design more-so than an aftermarket bumper would. Either way, looking forward to paint pics!

Yes I'm going to stay with the GT nose. I was planning on going back to that anyway, but after Archie told me how labor intensive it would have been to use the fiberglass 355 nose with the widebody kit...that just sealed the deal.
Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2011 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad to hear you intend to keep the " Fieroness" Intact... That car looks amazing and as I said before, I honestly think that new body kit makes the Non- Chopped Fiero body look fantastic.. That is what a fiero SHOULD look like if you ask me. Cannot wait to see it all yellow and nicely painted. This thing is not gonna be a head turner, it will be a NECK BREAKER!! What the hell was that? Oh I dunno, it was some kinda low, wide, SCREAMING yellow thing that just blew by here... Hell, coulda been a superhero, coulda been some new european exotic supercar... Naah it is better, it was a sick badass Fiero GT!! haha Enjoy it and watch out for those radar guns man....they'll getcha believe me!! Peace

Pete
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2011 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pete Matos:

Glad to hear you intend to keep the " Fieroness" Intact... That car looks amazing and as I said before, I honestly think that new body kit makes the Non- Chopped Fiero body look fantastic.. That is what a fiero SHOULD look like if you ask me. Cannot wait to see it all yellow and nicely painted. This thing is not gonna be a head turner, it will be a NECK BREAKER!! What the hell was that? Oh I dunno, it was some kinda low, wide, SCREAMING yellow thing that just blew by here... Hell, coulda been a superhero, coulda been some new european exotic supercar... Naah it is better, it was a sick badass Fiero GT!! haha Enjoy it and watch out for those radar guns man....they'll getcha believe me!! Peace

Pete

Or pull me over just to ask "what kind of car is this?" I agree this is how GM should have built it, but then that would have invaded Corvette territory. Interesting how they were putting targo tops on Vettes since 84, but didn't make the effort on the Fiero IMHO.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 15 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock