Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  #\ *doublec4* /# Official Build Thread (Page 9)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 22 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
#\ *doublec4* /# Official Build Thread by doublec4
Started on: 02-26-2009 06:22 PM
Replies: 863 (69716 views)
Last post by: doublec4 on 12-31-2020 04:32 PM
Amida

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2010 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The handling will be tighter with less slosh. What front spring rate are you using?
IP: Logged
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2010 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm using Eibach's in the front with half a coil cut.

We'll see what the ride is like
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2010 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

doublec4

8289 posts
Member since Jun 2003
Got the side scoops on today.

Looks like my car was previously silver:

Before I can put my suspension back together I have to get one of the axle boots fixed. It has a tear in it. I guess I could reassemble the one side today...

Also, I forgot to mention that if anyone is going to be installing side scoops, invest in heavy duty zip ties and use those. Way better than screwing around with plastic rivets and that junk. Sounds like a ghetto way to do it, but I guarentee my zip ties are way sturdier and simpler than crappy plastic rivets.

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 05-15-2010).]

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post05-15-2010 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the same Eibach springs as you in the front. I have contemplated a cut. Albiet a slight one. Interesting to hear how it works out for you?

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2010 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll let you know how it works out real soon.

Today I got some of the suspension back together. The coil overs fit like a glove and should give me more room for wider tires down the road:

Also started to line up the rear sway bar so I can drill the holes:

Tomorrow I have to get an axle boot fixed and I can get the other side together and take it in for an alignment. Should be the last day the car looks like this for a while (fingers crossed):

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2010 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Axle boot fixed, transmission fluid topped up, sway bar bolted up, wheels back on, all systems go

New side scoops see the light of day:

I also think I'm happy with the ride height I set the coil overs at. Took me two tries, first try it was sitting too high. Let me know what you think!

Alignment tomorrow! Paint in the next couple days!
aeffertz

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2010 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aeffertzSend a Private Message to aeffertzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
on the coils!
Stance looks great.
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-18-2010 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PFF's most photogenic Fiero.
Carcenomy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2010 06:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe just a teeeeeeny smidgeon lower on the coilovers...? Only need quarter of an inch tops if anything

Looks fantastic, how's the car handle with the swaybar etc installed?
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2010 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys

and Tony, thats a pretty bold statement! Lots of nice, photogenic fieros on here including your own!

Carcenomy, I might take it down another half inch if the springs don't settle and make up for it, but thats kind of what I'm counting on. So we'll see!

I just dropped the car off at the shop for the alignment and to weld up the crack in my exhaust, as well as get those pesky front sway bar bolts out so that I can mount the new bar and finally test drive it! Keep our fingers crossed the final bill is kind to me.
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-18-2010 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know that you are a driver. With all of the suspension work, and having other mechanics handle several very important nuts and bolts on your car, do a thorough inspection of her before pushing the limits of the new equiptment. I really have had things not tightened/fastened upon delivery of my vehicle, after another has worked on it. And, it has alwys been something that I paid too much for.

I have also not put Loc-Tite on my sway bar attachments @ the cradle. After several hundred miles, I could see one side not quite holding on as intended. Also operater error. Me being the operater.

I can't attest to the coilover springs, but the Eibachs will settle some. Mine took in the neighborhood of 1,000 miles before seating in. You can feel it as they give. The ride will seem abnormally harsh in the front, but as you lean on them, they will loosen up and feel very secure in the twisties. In fact, on my 87, I am running poly cradle mounts, and can totally tell when the front is getting much better response than the rear. I can easily out drive the rear of my car. The front has yet to find it's limit. Looks like I will be ordering some aluminum cradle mounts. I hear that that is a good way to stiffen up the rear. We shall see.
PFF
System Bot
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2010 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Tony,

I'll give it a good thorough check before I drive it. I still have to put the front bar on, and the front chin spoiler back on. I should be getting the car back in the next half hour or so! They were able to fix up my exhaust and everything

I can't wait to get it back! I'm going to put everything back on and then wash it. Might even see a car show tonight!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2010 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

doublec4

8289 posts
Member since Jun 2003
Finally got to drive the car today and take it to a local show.

First impressions of the ride quality and difference: Awesome.

Much more responsive and exact now. Car tracks straight and is stable and flat through the turns. Even though I went with the larger bar in the front I can still kick the rear end out predictibly and control it with throttle.

The rear spring rate seems fine. Firmer than the Eibach's but drivable and not too harsh.

Steering is pretty light and not too heavy.

Overall, way better than stock, and leaps and bounds ahead of the worn out crap I had on there. Can't wait to drive it again tomorrow. I get the side scoops painted next Monday!
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2010 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm generally not a big fan of quarterpanel scoops, but on your car they look like they belong there. Very cool.

Nice wheels (and brakes, and suspension), too.
Dougie Murder

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2010 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dougie MurderSend a Private Message to Dougie MurderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sick!! Nice work Chris!
Good to see it all worked out.

Those scoops are rad. Where are you getting it painted? Im keeping my eye out for a place that knows what they're doing and is'nt too much $$.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2010 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the comments guys.

Dougie, I'm getting the scoops painted at Champion Motors, its east end of Toronto area. I'm getting them done on Monday. He's giving me a bit of a deal because my father had his Corvette worked over there.

So I just wanted to go over a few things that were done to the car as well that I don't think I mentioned:

Dog bone mount rewelded after I had cracked it.

Exhaust rewelded and now properly supported with hangers:

Front wheels rebalanced.

"Winglets" added to front chin spoiler... I don't know if I'm going to keep them yet.

Can't wait to get those side scoops painted! They stick out like a sore thumb in white
Quad GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2010 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad GTSend a Private Message to Quad GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ask them how much to paint an Indy in white with all the panels off and prep work done by me or all work done by them.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2010 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No problem,

I can ask them!
JPH87

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2010 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JPH87Send a Private Message to JPH87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2010 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

"Winglets" added to front chin spoiler... I don't know if I'm going to keep them yet.

For some reason, I know I've seen this image of your car before; with the scoops installed . However, I also know that isn't really possible.

If my (possibly hallucinogenic) memory serves, they'll look great once you get them painted...

[This message has been edited by skuzzbomer (edited 05-21-2010).]

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2010 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys,

and skuzz, maybe you feel like you've seen it because I took a very very similar picture that I think is on a previous page in this thread. My car was parked approximately in the same spot, and I took the picture at the same angle too. Might be why!
PFF
System Bot
Tinkrr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2010 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TinkrrSend a Private Message to TinkrrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got any pictures of the finished front sway bar that gave you so much grief ?
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2010 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sure, I could try and get some pictures. A little tough while the car is on the ground and everything, but its possible!

Might even take a short video of the car tomorrow
IVANNATINKLE

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2010 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
just gotta get them scoops painted now, Looking good man. Hey also do you still need that steering shock?
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2010 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the offer, I forgot about the steering shock! I think I'll pass on it at this time. Mine seemed to still be in decent working order and my home made battery box requires me to remove it if I want to remove the steering damper. I kind of don't feel like taking anything apart on the car again for a while. Thanks though!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2010 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

doublec4

8289 posts
Member since Jun 2003
Car just went into the paint shop today. Should have it back by the end of the week with the scoops painted and a couple stone chips touched up. I can't wait for it all to be the same colour again. Should look sharp. Until then, I obviously can't get any pictures of anything else. Lets keep our fingers crossed for no over spray! (pet peeve of mine)

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2010 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ordered some LED bars from ebay. Got them for real cheap. I'm going to try and fit them under the stock turn signals and see how it goes. If they don't work, no big deal, just a couple bucks. I might wire them so that they are always on, kind of like day time running lights, seeing as how our cars don't have those.

Counting down the days until the paint is done on the scoops!

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 05-25-2010).]

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is the look I hope to achieve from the LED lights

mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good, but there's one thing missing. Where's the Choptop?
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

Looking good, but there's one thing missing. Where's the Choptop?

Not EVERYTHING has to be chopped... sigh...
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carbon:

Not EVERYTHING has to be chopped... sigh...

Hey now, calm yourself. I don't think everything needs to be chopped either, some Fiero's would look good with it and some wouldn't. I just thought that it would look good with doublec4's Fiero because of its stance and lowered look. I don't want one myself because I barely have headroom with a sunroof as it is.
I was also kind of kidding, because I'm pretty sure he doesn't want one.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 05-26-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It might look good with my car. I've never seen a chopped notchie with a whale tail. However, I don't think it will ever be chopped. I enjoy my headroom as it is and I'd rather put the thousands of dollars into more performance oriented modifications rather than a choptop Just personal preference.
skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would you even be able to see out the back with a chop and a whaletail ?
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skuzzbomer:

Good point, I don't think you could see too much out the back window with a choptop and whaletail.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I doubt it. I lost half of my rear view with the IMSA wing. Not a big deal though, I can still see.
skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe we can get someone with a chop to try it out and get a pic...? I doubt you'd be able to see anything. (spoiler is 3" high, maybe... Drop roof 3" down... That gives you an inch or three)
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Maybe we can get someone with a chop to try it out and get a pic...? I doubt you'd be able to see anything. (spoiler is 3" high, maybe... Drop roof 3" down... That gives you an inch or three)

Speaking as a choptop owner.

choptop + whaletail = No hehehehe Your rear view mirror might as well be deleted ?? i am guessing you could always use cameras ?

Doesn't matter as he is not going that direction, sooooo back to the build. Car looks great BTW !

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 05-27-2010).]

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the comments guys! Heading out in about an hour to pick up my car!

Also bringing home the painted lenses for my dad's C5R headlights

If its still daylight out, I'll take some pictures!
skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well? I want to see if it looks as good with those scoops as I had visualized previously.

Awaiting updates
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pictures will have to wait until tomorrow.

Instead of rushing home I decided to take the car for a long drive down the lakeshore. It got lots of looks and I'm happy with how it turned out!

I'll post pictures tomorrow, I promise! (After washing it)
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 22 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock