Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  #\ *doublec4* /# Official Build Thread (Page 4)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 22 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
#\ *doublec4* /# Official Build Thread by doublec4
Started on: 02-26-2009 06:22 PM
Replies: 863 (69723 views)
Last post by: doublec4 on 12-31-2020 04:32 PM
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2009 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today I managed to get some gauges out of my basement and onto the car. I've had these for a while and today I had the day off. Perfect time to install them!

The set up is a dual A-pillar gauge set up, I went with glowshift gauges (courtesy of my girlfriend ). There is a boost gauge and a fuel pressure gauge.

Here are a couple shots of the gauges being prepped for installation:

I didn't take any pictures of the routing of the wires or the solid copper tubing I used for the boost gauge, however I ran them through the firewall above the engine computer and to the side, up the B pillar, and then under the roof over to the A pillar.

Here is the finished product:

They're clear and easy to read, and can be changed to 7 different colours

Heres a night shot:

Stay tuned! More parts to come soon

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 06-21-2009).]

IP: Logged
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2009 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On to the next order of business... HID slim pop ups

I made a whole thread about this so I'm just going to post a few pictures of the process and post a link to the thread.

Enjoy!!

Here's the link to the thread about it:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/076247.html

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 06-21-2009).]

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post06-21-2009 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Niiiiiicccccccce! I like the side by side with the original and the new.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2009 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks!

Heres a night shot:

HC

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2009 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The new lights look real sharp! I am kinda liking this route better than the much more expensive double Hella setup. A plus for you!

[Edit: you already had a plus for the wallpapers you made]

[This message has been edited by HC (edited 06-21-2009).]

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2009 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by HC:

The new lights look real sharp! I am kinda liking this route better than the much more expensive double Hella setup. A plus for you!

[Edit: you already had a plus for the wallpapers you made]

Thanks! It's a nice alternative to the more expensive set up, however, if I had the money I'd buy the hella stuff. They're top quality.

------------------

1986Fiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2009 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986FieroSend a Private Message to 1986FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i got an 86 se and im 15. i wish mine looks as good as urs though. maybe in the future. i mean definately in the future.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2009 01:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1986Fiero:

i got an 86 se and im 15. i wish mine looks as good as urs though. maybe in the future. i mean definately in the future.

Thanks Just keep workin at it bit by bit...
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2009 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't completed anything major lately, just been working on some small details and upkeep.

I took some pictures of the headlights after I switched them the right way up... I guess wherever the headlights were made, "TOP" actually means bottom

I also changed my autometer gauges to use 194 bulbs so I could conveniently install some red bulbs for them to match the rest of the interior and my glow shift gauges:

Next thing on the to do list is Series III fuel rails, my side scoops... and maybe even a dyno run
------------------

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 07-14-2009).]

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-14-2009 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I am not sure if it is the quality of your camera, or the car, but I just love this shot.
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2009 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 01-02-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2009 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the compliments guys

I think this weekend will be another productive one

------------------

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2009 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Next order of business is the Series III fuel rails that I've had sitting around...

Here are some pictures:

They will clean up the engine compartment and get rid of many of the lines covering the blower.

I actually have finished installing these lines today, so I'll get some pictures tomorrow when theres sunlight. It was raining today, and its a little dark and dingy in the garage.

I'll post again tomorrow

------------------

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2009 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As promised, I was able to snap a few pictures today of the new fuel rails on the car

This is a before shot:

And here is the finished product:

I still need to clean up more wires/hoses and just clean the engine in general, but as you can see, the blower is more visible and the engine got a little more attention

I'll leave you guys with a few other recent pictures of the car as a whole:

------------------

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 07-18-2009).]

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-18-2009 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know that you are always thinking about a rear diffuser. But, I really do like the shark fins that you put on the bottom of yours. What are those off of? I know that they are pretty much just for looks, but I may want to do that to my 87GT. Just looks great, and really stands out.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2009 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

I know that you are always thinking about a rear diffuser. But, I really do like the shark fins that you put on the bottom of yours. What are those off of? I know that they are pretty much just for looks, but I may want to do that to my 87GT. Just looks great, and really stands out.

You're right, I want to build more of a real diffuser.

However, those shark fin accents were bought at Canadian Tire, they were about 5 bucks a piece. They're just fake shark fin antennas. They add a nice flare to the rear bumper, some people don't like them, but they'll do for now...

Thanks for the compliments

------------------

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2009 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a few other updates to post here

I recently ordered a nice shift boot from FieroThomas and installed it a few days ago. I went with the black snake skin and I think it looks great:

I also installed fierostore front clear turn signals that I got from another member. Thanks Wayne! I installed some xenon bulbs to go well with my HID setup. They look more modern now and are a nice crystal white:

Thats it for now...

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 08-02-2009).]

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2009 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

doublec4

8289 posts
Member since Jun 2003
Another update that I forgot to post was that I took my car to an all Pontiac show today here in Ontario. It was hosted by the Ontario Pontiac Club and took place at the drag strip! I really wanted to run my car down the track but since the event was a few hours from home, I was a little nervous about blowing up my transmission. I stayed off the track and kind of regret it, but I'm happy I still have a functioning car lol.

However, I did take home 3rd place in the wild modified class, and I was representing the fiero crowd as the only fiero to attend

Here are some pictures of the car and my lovely girlfriend showing off my 3rd place ribbon lol:

Enjoy!

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 08-02-2009).]

thismanyfieros

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2009 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
are those just stock series 3 fuel lines and where did you get them??? just what i need to clean up my car too... that and a new coupler for the sc snout...mines kinda noisy...ps dont worry about toasting the tranny i beat the crap outta mine and it still is fine.... tim..
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2009 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by thismanyfieros:

are those just stock series 3 fuel lines and where did you get them??? just what i need to clean up my car too... that and a new coupler for the sc snout...mines kinda noisy...ps dont worry about toasting the tranny i beat the crap outta mine and it still is fine.... tim..

They are series III rails but they've been modified... I bought them from another member so I'm not really sure exactly what has been done...
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2009 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So the latest update is new pedals. I came across some red anodized sparco pedals... now I know my interior theme is black and silver, but I thought red on the brake and clutch would spice things up. I kept my old gas pedal because its big enough that I'm able to heel/toe with it... check it out:

PFF
System Bot
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2009 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wish I had that much money.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2009 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hahaha I'm a student making 15$ an hour.. I don't have a whole lot of money... I wish though lol.
Amida

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2009 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll go back to college If they paid me $15/hour. I miss all the college chicks everywhere.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2009 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Amida:

I'll go back to college If they paid me $15/hour. I miss all the college chicks everywhere.

lol well I'm not getting paid through my university, I'm working at a gym for the summer... back to school in 2-3 weeks though! So no more income then
metal144

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2009 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for metal144Send a Private Message to metal144Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

I have a few other updates to post here

I recently ordered a nice shift boot from FieroThomas and installed it a few days ago. I went with the black snake skin and I think it looks great:

I also installed fierostore front clear turn signals that I got from another member. Thanks Wayne! I installed some xenon bulbs to go well with my HID setup. They look more modern now and are a nice crystal white:

Thats it for now...

That car looks awesome tons of really nice details really glad you like the lights thanks for trading stuff..enjoy your ride.

Cheers
Wayne

[This message has been edited by metal144 (edited 08-22-2009).]

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2009 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Wayne.

I'm starting to stock up on suspension parts now...

I just aquired some front and rear aftermarket sway bars. I have rear poly bushings. Front poly is on the way and all new tie rod/ball joints and that sort of deal is coming as well... next up is a coil over kit...

I'll take pictures as I collect stuff

------------------

Check out my build!
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000100.html

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2009 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As promised, a few pictures of what I've been up to lately:

Collecting suspension parts:

Front/rear poly bushings:

Front/Rear aftermarket sway bars are on the way...

Also, I picked up some of these "splitters/canaards" that they sell on ebay:

No they won't be bolted to my front bumper.

Instead, I'm using them as diffuser fins for my rear diffuser project. Right now I'm in the stages of doing a mock-up with cardboard. Please jump in with suggestions:

And here is a picture of it placed under the car, but not held up into its proper position. The old "fins" I have on there will have to be removed.

Now I was also thinking about some kind of front splitter/flap that would reduce the amount of air that hits the front tires causing drag. I just taped some cardboard in place, but what do you guys think? Does it have potential or am I getting carried away

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 08-28-2009).]

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2009 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the diffuser, you should be able to pickup some aluminum and cut it with a jig saw. Its not hard to form and could be done with a couple of 2x4s if you wanted to try yourself. Stick one 2x4 under the aluminum and the other spaced back about 6 inches on the top side. Now just step on it. You can create the correct roll by moving the top board closer or farther away and just work your way from one end to the other. This also depends on the thickness of aluminum you use. If its too thick you will have to take it to someone with a roller and a metal break.
The splitters will help hold it to the correct shape and what every you bolt it to to hold it to the Fiero. Once bolted on it should be pretty stiff.

I don't know about the front flap, I think you could get the same results by splitting the wheel liner and the underside of the fascia and just pull it out flush with the tires. Just bolt a piece of aluminum to the back side and paint it black. You could use something to fill in the cut and use some glue to fill the gap.

Cars looking good, keep at it and don't sell it take that from someone that sold their first project car.
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2009 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm wondering about your chin spoiler, do you scrape the bottom very often? How is it when you cross over driveways?
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2009 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

I like the diffuser, you should be able to pickup some aluminum and cut it with a jig saw. Its not hard to form and could be done with a couple of 2x4s if you wanted to try yourself. Stick one 2x4 under the aluminum and the other spaced back about 6 inches on the top side. Now just step on it. You can create the correct roll by moving the top board closer or farther away and just work your way from one end to the other. This also depends on the thickness of aluminum you use. If its too thick you will have to take it to someone with a roller and a metal break.
The splitters will help hold it to the correct shape and what every you bolt it to to hold it to the Fiero. Once bolted on it should be pretty stiff.

I don't know about the front flap, I think you could get the same results by splitting the wheel liner and the underside of the fascia and just pull it out flush with the tires. Just bolt a piece of aluminum to the back side and paint it black. You could use something to fill in the cut and use some glue to fill the gap.

Cars looking good, keep at it and don't sell it take that from someone that sold their first project car.

Thanks for the tip I *may* try it myself but I'm not sure yet. I want it to look very professional consiering its going on the outside of the car. I'm also not sure on what type of gauge aluminum I should use. I will probably also drill out some holes near the muffler so that some heat may dissipate through it, as well as allow water to drain in case it gets up there. Oh, and of course paint it black.

Amida,

my front chin spoiler has been pretty good so far. From pictures I see of other front chin spoilers, it seems that mine is ever so slightly smaller. It drags on the odd driveway now and then, and the underside gets scraped up a bit, but it hasnt cracked *keeps fingers crossed*. Every now and then I throw some semi gloss black spray paint on it that matches the rest of the trim. I find that rocks chip it a lot though

PFF
System Bot
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2009 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks for the tip I *may* try it myself but I'm not sure yet. I want it to look very professional consiering its going on the outside of the car. I'm also not sure on what type of gauge aluminum I should use. I will probably also drill out some holes near the muffler so that some heat may dissipate through it, as well as allow water to drain in case it gets up there. Oh, and of course paint it black.

I hear you, if you take it somewhere you will be able to use thicker metal, I would go with 14 gage if I had a shop to form it. I wouldn't try to bend anything thicker than 16 gage at home, the roll will be easy but the bend will be harder to make look good without a break press. You could install some ribs on the back side if your worried about it flexing.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2009 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome, thanks for the advice. The real deal may not happen until next spring because next weekend I move back to another city for school... which means the fiero gets tucked away for the winter Summer flew by but I felt that I got a lot accomplished. Next year will be productive as well. I usually stock up on parts over the winter ... its already begun
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2009 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

my front chin spoiler has been pretty good so far. From pictures I see of other front chin spoilers, it seems that mine is ever so slightly smaller. It drags on the odd driveway now and then, and the underside gets scraped up a bit, but it hasnt cracked *keeps fingers crossed*. Every now and then I throw some semi gloss black spray paint on it that matches the rest of the trim. I find that rocks chip it a lot though

How thick is the chin glass lay-up? Do you think it needs to be thicker to withstand more abuse?
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2009 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmm, I'd have to go check, unfortunately I don't have any calipers or anything to get an exact measurement. However, its not overly thick... I think the key reason it hasn't broke is because its about an inch shorter than some of the other ones I've seen... I'll go outside and take a guess on the thickness in the next little while.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2009 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Amida, my best guess for the chin spoiler layup is about 3-4 mm thick.

Also, just for a change of pace from pictures, heres some video:

Just wanted to get it up to the speed limit and then kill the throttle..
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2009 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

doublec4

8289 posts
Member since Jun 2003
Ah, look what the mailman just delivered:

Addco front bar, fierostore rear bar, all with poly of course... Thanks Nolan! (Sourmug)

Just more stuff to put away for that suspension rebuild next spring

Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2009 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You're welcome!

I like what you're doing to your car and your interior looks great. How do you like your engine??

Nolan
FieroJonney

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2009 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJonneySend a Private Message to FieroJonneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Love the car, my favorite non-chopped notch out there, without a doubt.
I love your interior so much, I'm going to try the same thing this winter! :-D I hope you don't mind. hehe.
Has the paint held up over the years? Do you have to do any touch ups here and there?
Thanks

Jon

Edit: Where did you get your carpet/floor mats from?

------------------
Black 86 Fiero GT

[This message has been edited by FieroJonney (edited 09-03-2009).]

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2009 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sourmug:

You're welcome!

I like what you're doing to your car and your interior looks great. How do you like your engine??

Nolan

LOVE the engine if you can't tell by the videos lol.

FieroJonney,

thank you for the compliments! Go ahead and do the same thing if you want! The paint has held up alright, I've had to do the odd touch up here and there. The trick is proper prep for the paint and let it dry for a LONG time.

The carpets I painted with the vinyl spray paint and the floor mats are just universal floor mats from the local autoshop.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 22 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock