Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  #\ *doublec4* /# Official Build Thread (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 22 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
#\ *doublec4* /# Official Build Thread by doublec4
Started on: 02-26-2009 06:22 PM
Replies: 863 (69720 views)
Last post by: doublec4 on 12-31-2020 04:32 PM
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2009 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a little time for another update!

At this point I had figured I would have some fun with some neon lights. Some people think its ricey and corny but all of the lights are hidden so its not like it takes away from the appearance of the car when I flip the switch to have them off. The lights attracted a lot of attention and were alright in my opinion. The underglow did meet its demise though and were smashed.

So the underglow is no more and I removed the tubes. However, here are some pictures while they were in one piece. I even did the engine compartment:

And the interior was accented with a few hidden neons as well... theres two behind each seat that you cant see that light up the rest of the interior. These are still in the car, however, Im considering removing them as well...

Let the ricer calling begin haha

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 04-07-2009).]

IP: Logged
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2009 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lately I've been neglecting this thread in favour of my exams. However, I'm now finished and ready to get back into this.

At this point after the neons lights, I decided it was time to throw some money into real performance. I was displeased with the get up and go of my 2.8, especially behind the 3 speed auto. I love manual transmission cars and I felt like with my fiero being sports car, it needed a new transmission. At first I considered just doing a manual swap, where I would have gone with the 4 speed manual. I drove a 3800SC down the track once before and I remembered how that felt, so I came to the conclusion that if I was going to spend the money, I was going to do it right the first time.

I heard on the forum that mating the fiero 4spd to the 3800SC was a pretty wicked combination. To me, this would be the best of both worlds.

Being a student, I had to come up with quite a bit of money for this swap. I started my own little business and am proud to say that I made enough money for the whole swap within about a month. I was pressed for time because I wanted to get the car to FIEROFLYER before I would not be able to drive the car for a few weeks anyways. I was motivated and determined, and I met my deadline.

Here is the last picture of my interior as an automatic:

The first part of the swap I'll go through is the collection of all the parts I needed. First and most important, is the engine itself. I found a Buick engine from a fiero friend which had a pretty reasonable 98,000kms on it. Not too bad. I picked it up for a good price too.

Check out some pictures:

Check back for more tomorrow!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2009 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A few more things to tick off the checklist were the fuel pump (Walbro 255lph high pressure), some new exhaust tips (burned tips, slash cut), and a magnaflow muffler.

I also needed a few other things such as a clutch (I bought a spec 3), a flywheel from a Camaro V6, a fiero 4spd transmission, and a bunch of other miscellaneous items. FIEROFLYER was a big help and I bought some things off of him, and he replaced some things on the engine for the swap along the way.

I'll get to more of the engine swap in the next post, and show off some of his work!

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 04-27-2009).]

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2009 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

doublec4

8289 posts
Member since Jun 2003
After collecting all of the pieces I could find, I took everything to FIEROFLYER for the installation. After getting his hands on the engine, in no time it was cleaned up and a nice fresh coat of paint was applied to match my car.

I think it took shape nicely:

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

More to come soon!
Eau_Rouge

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2009 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Eau_RougeSend a Private Message to Eau_RougeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

After collecting all of the pieces I could find, I took everything to FIEROFLYER for the installation. After getting his hands on the engine, in no time it was cleaned up and a nice fresh coat of paint was applied to match my car.

I think it took shape nicely:

More to come soon!

How's that 4 speed holding up to the torque of that motor? Why the 4 speed and not the 5 speed getrag? Is the 4 speed more durable?

[This message has been edited by Eau_Rouge (edited 04-28-2009).]

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2009 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Eau_Rouge:

How's that 4 speed holding up to the torque of that motor? Why the 4 speed and not the 5 speed getrag? Is the 4 speed more durable?

I've only driven it for a few months last summer but nothing is broken yet. *fingers crossed* I've dumped the clutch a few times and its held up.. I've heard that its stronger than the 5spd...
Emc209i

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 225
User Banned

Report this Post04-28-2009 04:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Only because the 282 getrag has a weak differential housing. The isuzu 5 speed has a weak 2nd gear. Mine's still holding up after several months of abuse.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2009 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I also chose the 4speed for the gearing... I wanted something quick from stop sign to stop sign. I really don't do high speed runs or anything like that.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2009 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

doublec4

8289 posts
Member since Jun 2003
Continuing with the engine build up... Dan put a little more shine on things and the engine cleaned up very well. Here's another look at it after most of the painting is done:

Looked great!
ClayTonto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2009 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ClayTontoSend a Private Message to ClayTontoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now were talking!
Eclipse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2009 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EclipseSend a Private Message to EclipseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking very good! GOing to have it at done for the show this summer?

------------------
Jay Brintnell
Southern Ontario Fiero Association and the Ontario Pontiac Club

Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival. - W. Edwards Deming

PFF
System Bot
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2009 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 01-02-2016).]

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2009 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the compliments guys!

Jay, yes I will have it out for the summer and the shows. The engine was actually done last year and I'm sort of catching up on the build thread. It sprung a coolant leak at the end of the season last year, I put it away for storage and I just got back from school last week. I've fixed the coolant leak and I will be out terrorizing the streets again now
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2009 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After the new powerplant was shaping up, Dan went on to remove the old engine and its slushbox 3 speed auto.

Here's the 2.8 out of the car, ready to find itself a new home:

It was a good looking engine, but just didn't have the get up and go I wanted

And finally the cradle all alone, bare and empty:

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2009 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After the cradle was removed, the new engine was fitted with some of the wiring and then mounted to the cradle. I'm just going to assume that Dan makes his own mounts for the engine:

Next up is a test fit.... and it looks like everything is nice and straight! Tons of room in there ...maybe for a future turbo

Stay tuned for more!

ClayTonto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2009 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ClayTontoSend a Private Message to ClayTontoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now that's motor like it
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2009 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here are a few more things that needed to get done along the way:

Dan installed a gas strut for the decklid:

And then moved onto the exhaust and exhaust tips

It was coming together nicely!!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2009 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That covers pretty much all of the major engine work...

just a few final pictures of it all done! At this point FIEROFLYER was sending me these pictures and I couldn't wait to pick up the "new" car

And there she sat, waiting for me to pick her up:

mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2009 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome! I'm jealous, I want a L67 swap, though I really don't have the money right now.
Nothing against your engine or anything but If I did a L67 swap to my fiero I would want to get rid of all those black hoses on top of the blower.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2009 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

Awesome! I'm jealous, I want a L67 swap, though I really don't have the money right now.
Nothing against your engine or anything but If I did a L67 swap to my fiero I would want to get rid of all those black hoses on top of the blower.

Thanks

As for those fuel lines and hoses, Im getting rid of them real soon. I'll post some pictures of the new fuel rails I will be installing soon
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2009 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

I have a little time for another update!

At this point I had figured I would have some fun with some neon lights. Some people think its ricey and corny but all of the lights are hidden so its not like it takes away from the appearance of the car when I flip the switch to have them off. The lights attracted a lot of attention and were alright in my opinion. The underglow did meet its demise though and were smashed.

So the underglow is no more and I removed the tubes. However, here are some pictures while they were in one piece. I even did the engine compartment:

And the interior was accented with a few hidden neons as well... theres two behind each seat that you cant see that light up the rest of the interior. These are still in the car, however, Im considering removing them as well...

when you do underglow you almost have to use the LED tubes. they dont have a good lightstreem flow under the car but they will last longer and hold up a lot better. also the high end kits allow you to change the colors of the lights. only problem you run into it depending on the state laws they will fine you i think its $10 a bulb around here and depending on the cops mood they will go and count every led in the tube.

PFF
System Bot
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2009 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:
when you do underglow you almost have to use the LED tubes. they dont have a good lightstreem flow under the car but they will last longer and hold up a lot better. also the high end kits allow you to change the colors of the lights. only problem you run into it depending on the state laws they will fine you i think its $10 a bulb around here and depending on the cops mood they will go and count every led in the tube.

I just used those ones because they were cheap. Either way, the durability of these things suck and I ditched them. I also recently decided to ditch the interior neons. It was all pretty flashy at night but just a pain in the ass with wires running everywhere. I opted for a cleaner, simpler look.
rourke_87_T-Top

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2009 06:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rourke_87_T-TopSend a Private Message to rourke_87_T-TopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your car has come a long way, looks good. I'm sure you will enjoy it this summer.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2009 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rourke_87_T-Top:

Your car has come a long way, looks good. I'm sure you will enjoy it this summer.

Thanks I've definitely been enjoying it lately. Finally the right kinda weather is coming around
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2009 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So you'd think that right after I get the fiero home from the swap I'd drive it! Well... there had been one part of the car that had been bothering me for quite some time. Ever since I lowered it, I felt like the front of the car sat a little too high. I wanted a more raked look toward the front... so what did I do instead of drive it? Chop the front springs of course!

I wish I took before and after shots, but I was too excited to tear into the car again. So here are after pics. I think the stance is much better now

I think you can see a big difference with how the wheel well hugs the front wheels now

Also, one more engine shot because I'm so proud. Finally seeing the sunlight:

It doesn't stop here though!
mtownfiero

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2009 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mtownfieroSend a Private Message to mtownfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you have to cut your trunk at all for your exhaust and any pics from below the car of it? I have bullet style mufflers on my swap now that has the manifold exit where the 3800 is but im looking for was to fit a muffler like yours. Thanks and nice car.
Eau_Rouge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2009 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Eau_RougeSend a Private Message to Eau_RougeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The stance on your car looks much better...want to do the same to mine at some point. How's the ride now? Does your suspension hit the bump stops at the front...when you hit bumps on the road?

So how fast it that thing...in comparison to that yellow C5 in some of your other photo's?

Very nice car!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2009 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mtownfiero:

Did you have to cut your trunk at all for your exhaust and any pics from below the car of it? I have bullet style mufflers on my swap now that has the manifold exit where the 3800 is but im looking for was to fit a muffler like yours. Thanks and nice car.

Fieroflyer did not have to cut my trunk at all. The muffler fit in the stock location... its tight but it fits. Unfortunately at this point I do not have any pictures from under the car. I may have some soon though, I have a lot more to work on

The stance on your car looks much better...want to do the same to mine at some point. How's the ride now? Does your suspension hit the bump stops at the front...when you hit bumps on the road?

So how fast it that thing...in comparison to that yellow C5 in some of your other photo's?

Very nice car!

The ride now is definitely rougher. I probably am hitting the bump stops when I run over big pot holes. I do my best to avoid them, but its almost impossible around here. Its a good thing I have 16 inch rims with decent tires or else if I had rubber bands it would be worse.

As for how fast it is... its really quick. I haven't taken it to the track yet, but maybe I will. I doubt it will beat my dad's C5 but its fun none the less. My problem is that I need better tires for traction. I just have cheap ones on the rear right now that will spin off the line and won't hook up very well.

Thanks for checking the car out guys!
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post05-19-2009 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am always waiting for your next update. I have always thought that your car has a great stance to it. Excellent work.

Congratulations on making it to the construction zone.

------------------

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2009 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

I am always waiting for your next update. I have always thought that your car has a great stance to it. Excellent work.

Congratulations on making it to the construction zone.

Thanks!

I have more things to post, I should have pictures soon

Lots of projects on the go!
Eau_Rouge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2009 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Eau_RougeSend a Private Message to Eau_RougeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The ride now is definitely rougher. I probably am hitting the bump stops when I run over big pot holes. I do my best to avoid them, but its almost impossible around here. Its a good thing I have 16 inch rims with decent tires or else if I had rubber bands it would be worse.

As for how fast it is... its really quick. I haven't taken it to the track yet, but maybe I will. I doubt it will beat my dad's C5 but its fun none the less. My problem is that I need better tires for traction. I just have cheap ones on the rear right now that will spin off the line and won't hook up very well.

Thanks for checking the car out guys![/QUOTE]

I hear you, it always seems as if they decide to repave the roads right before the winter hits again. Last year on the 401 around the Milton area was a nightmare.

About going to the track, make sure you have good brakes and braided brake lines...I took my car to the track a few years ago with the stock brake setup and after braking after two long staights, my pedal was on the floor - not a good feeling!

Can't wait to get my car back on the road, your car is giving me fiero envy especially since it looks alot like mine.
PFF
System Bot
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2009 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I hear you, it always seems as if they decide to repave the roads right before the winter hits again. Last year on the 401 around the Milton area was a nightmare.

About going to the track, make sure you have good brakes and braided brake lines...I took my car to the track a few years ago with the stock brake setup and after braking after two long staights, my pedal was on the floor - not a good feeling!

Can't wait to get my car back on the road, your car is giving me fiero envy especially since it looks alot like mine. !

Thanks for the tips I'll keep them in mind. The only track I think I'll be able to get to this season is the drag strip, I'm curious to see what kind of time it will post. I think in August I will also dyno it

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 05-22-2009).]

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2009 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

doublec4

8289 posts
Member since Jun 2003
So now that I'm finally caught up in the build thread, I can post what I've been doing lately!

Over the winter I bought a few items off of some members here as well as other places, and they are waiting to go on the car.

Recently I took the Rodney Dickman Short Shifter out of storage, as well as my Aeroforce Interceptor Scan Gauge and decided it was time to install them

Take a look!

These two items were pretty easy to install, the short shifter just bolts in, and the scan gauge pretty much plugs in (with the addition of a 12V power source). After hiding the wiring, I was all done

Here are some pictures of the final products sitting in place:

More stuff on the way soon!
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post05-22-2009 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What does the scan guage do? I am perplexed.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2009 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.aeroforcetech.com/

The answer to all of your questions

I've found it to be pretty useful so far! Lots of parameters to scroll through, but you need to have OBDII
mtownfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2009 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mtownfieroSend a Private Message to mtownfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
J/w again on the exhaust, does the inlet pipe go under the rear brace of the cradle and up or does it all fit behind the cradle in the space between it and the trunk? Thanks again.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2009 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mtownfiero:

J/w again on the exhaust, does the inlet pipe go under the rear brace of the cradle and up or does it all fit behind the cradle in the space between it and the trunk? Thanks again.

There is no crossover pipe, it was eliminated because of the transmission linkages. The front side of the engine exhaust comes down and under the cradle brace as an inlet on one side the muffler. The rear engine bank comes straight down between the trunk and engine and connects to front side exhaust pipe before the muffler inlet.

I hope thats clear... hard to explain..
mtownfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2009 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mtownfieroSend a Private Message to mtownfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
oh i was confused because the exhaust picture makes it look like the flange goes up to the rear manifold flange only.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2009 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah that picture is a little misleading... you can't really see the rear part of the exhaust system. I'll see if I can get one from under the car soon
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2009 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I completely forgot to take a picture of the exhaust, however, I did manage to snap a picture of the ZZP modular pulley system that is now installed on the blower.

I went with a 3.4 pulley and it seems to be working fine. I only get a bit of KR doing 4th gear pulls on really hot days, which is apparently pretty normal with the 4spd manual from what I hear.

Take a look (Ignore the dirty engine compartment right now, it needs a good cleaning):

As usual, more updates and upgrades to come

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 06-07-2009).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 22 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock