Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  #\ *doublec4* /# Official Build Thread (Page 17)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 22 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
#\ *doublec4* /# Official Build Thread by doublec4
Started on: 02-26-2009 06:22 PM
Replies: 863 (69723 views)
Last post by: doublec4 on 12-31-2020 04:32 PM
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2011 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Justin, thats too bad I guess but not a big deal. I'm not sure how much of that is usuable on the fwd 3.8L

When my turbo set up is all said and done, I hope to have only a modest amount invested. I'm always on the look out for a deal and used parts!

1988holleyformula... I haven't seen too many like that either! I can't remember where I got it from, but it was a while ago.
IP: Logged
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2011 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got my AEM Tru Boost controller in the mail from wftb! Thanks bud! What a generous guy!

Also received my LS6 yellow valve springs a while back but forgot to post them up:

With every part, its one step closer
Amida

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2011 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How much power will the turbo add to the 2.8? Is it more bang for the buck than a 3800sc?
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2011 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Amida:

How much power will the turbo add to the 2.8? Is it more bang for the buck than a 3800sc?

I currently have a 3800SC... ditching the supercharger and going 3800 turbo... I think overall the 3800SC is the best bang for your buck engine. I just want a new project and to learn more about turbos, so I'll be doing the conversion. Should have around 400hp as a ballpark figure. Only time will tell.
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2011 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i see. How is your rear spoiler mounted? Does it covers the wing screw holes?
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2011 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Which spoiler? The active aero one did not cover the original holes for the fiero wing. It was just an experimental piece so we did not fill in the holes.

The IMSA wing I have on there now doesn't cover the holes either. I had them filled in when I had the decklid/wing painted.
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2011 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

Which spoiler? The active aero one did not cover the original holes for the fiero wing. It was just an experimental piece so we did not fill in the holes.

The IMSA wing I have on there now doesn't cover the holes either. I had them filled in when I had the decklid/wing painted.

How is that IMSA wing attached to the car? Are all the screws hidden under the panels?
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2011 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah the IMSA wing has 3-4 screws whose heads were encased in the fiberglass. Holes were drilled in the decklid and the threads go through and are secured with nuts on the decklid underside.
JSzpotek

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2011 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JSzpotekSend a Private Message to JSzpotekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Hellaflush"? Lol.

Originally posted by doublec4:

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2011 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
lol, thats one trend I will not ever buy into.

In other news, bought some 60# injectors and they're on the way... bought a BOV as well that just arrived:

Its all coming together nicely... I need some other small odds and ends, plus there will be all of the custom fabrication of the exhaust. Still need to learn to tune too!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2011 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just wanted to update with a quick shot of my siemens 60# fuel injectors.

The list of things to buy is dwindling.... I also heard that the stock L67 MAF might not work that well with a turbo set up... hmm

Also, does anybody know how many psi the stock l67 MAP sensor is good up until?

I also have this turbontics turbo sitting here.. I think its a bit big... but I don't know.. could work...if I rebuild it...

Just need to find out more specs on it.

PFF
System Bot
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2011 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
if it does not have a lot of bearing slop and looks like it is not blowing oil out the seals , there is no reason to rebuild a turbo .see how it works first , then decide .
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2011 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Definitely has too much shaft play. There is slight contact between the compressor wheel and the housing
InTheLead

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2011 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InTheLeadSend a Private Message to InTheLeadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by doublec4:

The list of things to buy is dwindling.... I also heard that the stock L67 MAF might not work that well with a turbo set up... hmm

Also, does anybody know how many psi the stock l67 MAP sensor is good up until?

I use a stock 99' GTP MAF and ZZP's fixed frequency mini AFC. Works great, not sure on 'how many PSI' the stock MAF can handle but I have had my turbo 3800 up to 18psi without issue.

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2011 04:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:
http://www.caranddriver.com...c-first_drive_review
So thought of your car when I read this on the pot this morning. Especially the part about the wing/air brake system.
Tony

I think the active aero brake on the McLaren looks so cool. Your active wing adds another dimension.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

DoubleC4, bump for news on your active aero setup.

[This message has been edited by Austrian Import (edited 12-22-2011).]

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2011 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the bump. I returned your pm too.

The active aero set up is currently off the car. It was a fun project and hopefully I'll get to tinker with it again soon. Things just got busy with jobs and moving and all of that. Plus its winter here so the car is in storage.

Maybe sometime next season I'll put it on the car again and try a few more things out!
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2011 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you know the application or part number for the diffuser?
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2011 02:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unfortunately I don't have a part number or application for the diffuser. However, it was made by "Shine Auto" and they have a website. I searched through it but couldn't find the diffuser that I have. I don't know if its discontinued? As far as I know it was "universal"

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2011 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That always happens when I find something I like!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2011 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You could contact them, I'm sure they have some still around. If not, and you really, really do like it, I can contact the place I bought it from. They probably still have some? You'd just have to have it shipped from Canada.
L67

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 219
User Banned

Report this Post12-30-2011 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Austrian Import:
I think the active aero brake on the McLaren looks so cool.

Which Mclaren? The fake Mclaren or the real Mclaren?

PFF
System Bot
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2012 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Might as well show the work in progress in my build thread as well:

"Flush mount" headlights that bubble up like on the C5R:

Really happy with the way it looks in the picture so far. Hopefully the surface finish is nice and smooth!

Here's a quick video the CNC guy sent me. Really neat seeing it in progress!

Enjoy!
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2012 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very interesting process.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2012 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Very interesting process.

I hope the process works out. Hopefully I can put together a product thats up to your quality of work! I want people to be happy with the fit and finish.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2012 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Excited to have them in my possession now. They look great and will only require minimal work to have them ready for vacuum forming. I will need to coat them in some kind of epoxy wood hardener and do some light sanding. I have a test piece that I'm going to use.

It was kind of funny when I got the box that he put them in. The box was just some random thing he had in his garage that originally held a home light fixture. The product was called "Flush Mount Fixture" .... strange coincidence!

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2012 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like a special kind of kitchen chopping block.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2012 01:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Looks like a special kind of kitchen chopping block.

My family has become accustomed to where I take pictures of many of my parts/projects. Granite makes a nice backdrop
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2012 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Come to think of it it looks like two cakes fresh ot of the oven.
wee twisted

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2012 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wee twistedSend a Private Message to wee twistedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yummy
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2012 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just picked up GoPro HD camera

In the summer I'll be able to get some nice high-def driving video!

I also finalized my choice for sealing the MDF molds... so I should be working on them this week. See how it turns out! I really don't want to ruin them..
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2012 03:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work on those fixed headlamps. Can't wait to see how those turn out.
PFF
System Bot
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2012 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A little more progress:

Working on sealing the moulds right now. Always hate this part of the project! The point of no return!

Trimmed my beautiful moulds from the excess flashing and now applying the sealant:

Lots and lots of sanding to do. I'm trying to arrange to have a prototype lens made in 2 weeks. We'll see!
Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2012 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
flip them inside out and you have a couple good looking (and matching) hood vents .

Nice build so far, keep it up.

------------------

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2012 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
L67, it's a bad comparison, as there hasn't been any active aerodynamics in competitive motorsports since the Chaparral race cars of the 1960's.

[This message has been edited by Austrian Import (edited 02-13-2012).]

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2012 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As promised, pictures of the lens forming!

This is the machine we were working with today:

Seemed like a nice, easy unit to use. Only complaint is that the working area is very small. My mould just BARELY fit! Very lucky it did just clear, however.

Here are some PETG sheets along with one of the moulds. Blue protective plastic is removed during the process.

Here are some "learning experience" sheets below. It takes some trial and error to dial in the right heating time and how hot to get the plastic before forming. Some of these reject lenses were used for the "hammer" test to also explore the effect of over heating on the impact resistance of the material. I will post a hammer test video tomorrow

And here are some lenses that went well:

I will get a few more pictures with them popped out of the moulds.

Now here is the slight set back:

During the trial and error process, we tried something that didn't work out so well. Long story short, we were not aware that we were heating up the mould quite a bit. We ended up burning the mould and it required some last minute (and very crude) rework. A "good" lens was still pulled from this mould after it was reworked but it wouldn't meet my expectations for quality to sell it to anyone. So, I will either have to rework the mould more, or have a new one cut. At the very least, the "good" lens I got from it will be used for test fitting etc. since it is dimensionally accurate. The finish is just a little bumpy. Nothing that can't be eventually fixed.

In the end, we got the process dialed in perfect. I will post more pictures in a little while and trim the excess material from the lenses this weekend. So far so good!

(Also, when I refer to "we" in these posts, I had some friends with me who wanted lend a hand. Always helps to have a second and third set of hands and some extra brains for problem solving!)
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2012 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

doublec4

8289 posts
Member since Jun 2003
Just a little excited so I pulled out some mock up card board buckets and lights. Threw the lens on top (untrimmed) just to give an idea of how things are shaping up:

And one with a shroud on one of the lights:

Its tough to see the shape of the lens when its clear with no paint. I put them over a black stove so you might be able to see it better:

Can't wait to trim them!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2012 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check out the "hammer test" video for these lenses I just put up on youtube:

I was very happy with my material selection. As you can see, a very hard blow with a hammer won't even crack these lenses. Keep in mind that was a "failed" lens that was overheated as well. Overheating this plastic will decrease impact resistance. So the actual lenses that were successful would be even stronger. There was also barely even a scuff in the lens from the hammer. I can try and take some pictures of the mark it left. Its hardly noticable so I'm not sure the camera will capture it.

I wish I got a video of my friend stomping on one of these lenses. He was able to pop one "inside out" and then it actually popped right back into place. We were able to eventually crack one with repeated blows with a hammer. We came to the conclusion that unless you drive into a hail storm of hammers, then road debris and rocks should never crack one of these.
FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2012 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will the heat of the bulbs have any affect to the material properties?
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2012 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroWannaBe:

Will the heat of the bulbs have any affect to the material properties?

I don't think they will heat the lens enough to change its properties, damage, or soften it. While I was doing some research on materials, I found a Corvette guy who sells a very similar kit and he uses the same material for his lenses. Also keep in mind that these lenses are 1/8" thick. Not exactly paper thin so they should be able to withstand heat from the headlights no problem. I'm going to test them out pretty thoroughly before I sell any as well.

PBJ

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2012 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey if you want a HID bulb/projetor lens as well as the high beam bulb and lens out of a 2006 SRX lmk. I have them at work and are free if it helps. Will we see you at the Moose on Sunday?

Pete

------------------

88 3800 turbo thanks to AkursedX and Sinister Performance

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 22 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock