Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  #\ *doublec4* /# Official Build Thread (Page 15)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 22 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
#\ *doublec4* /# Official Build Thread by doublec4
Started on: 02-26-2009 06:22 PM
Replies: 863 (69723 views)
Last post by: doublec4 on 12-31-2020 04:32 PM
ALLTRBO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2011 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Too cool!
Yeah, that thing is massive! I'm sure it'll do its job very well once you get it tuned in. What are you going to do for the front to match all the downforce back there? If a simple splitter won't do enough it'll probably understeer like crazy coming out of a fast, wide sweeper because the front end is already so light.
Do you plan on engineering an underbody tray and a proper diffuser (as proper can be with bottom-fed engine bay cooling, anyway) to compliment the wing?

The next thing to seriously worry about with all this traction you'll have is the weak-sauce Fiero wheel bearings. Many a racer has had serious failures at the track when coupled with good traction. What are your plans for this?

Oh, one more thing; I may have missed it but what is the control mechanism for the wing? You mentioned that it's sensitive to potholes, does that mean you have suspension compression sensors?

Keep up the innovative work.

[This message has been edited by ALLTRBO (edited 04-06-2011).]

IP: Logged
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2011 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ALLTRBO:

Too cool!
Yeah, that thing is massive! I'm sure it'll do its job very well once you get it tuned in. What are you going to do for the front to match all the downforce back there? If a simple splitter won't do enough it'll probably understeer like crazy coming out of a fast, wide sweeper because the front end is already so light.
Do you plan on engineering an underbody tray and a proper diffuser (as proper can be with bottom-fed engine bay cooling, anyway) to compliment the wing?

The next thing to seriously worry about with all this traction you'll have is the weak-sauce Fiero wheel bearings. Many a racer has had serious failures at the track when coupled with good traction. What are your plans for this?

Oh, one more thing; I may have missed it but what is the control mechanism for the wing? You mentioned that it's sensitive to potholes, does that mean you have suspension compression sensors?

Keep up the innovative work.

For the front, we have a splitter planned, also hood vents to further reduce lift and promote downforce. We originally had an active front splitter planned but we just didn't have enough time to take that on during the school year. If the car still understeers then we can always dial down the downforce in the rear during cornering. Front canards etc could be used if we really want to try and increase front downforce. We'll see how it reacts and then come up with a game plan. This whole thing is proof of concept right now and should be easily implemented on any vehicle. We chose the Fiero because... well, we had it at our disposal and I didn't mind

Hopefully the wheel bearings will hold up. Don't want to find out the hard way! However, I will have to look into alternative options if it becomes a major concern. I didn't really think of that, thanks for pointing it out

A full under tray would be nice, but again its time and money and we'll see where things go. The mid engine is a challenge with the cooling issue like you mentioned.

For detecting turns and braking we are using an accelerometer. Therefore bumps and potholes pose a challenge. More "noise" for the processor to sort through.

Originally posted by thedrue:

Wow, all I have to say is Wow! Great build, great car! It will be very interesting to see how that wing reacts and changes the dynamics of the car on the track.

It definitely looks huge on the car, did not realize how big it was from the build pictures.

Good work!

It's definitely big lol. We get some odd looks on the road but its all in good fun.

Keep checking back, always more updates

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 04-06-2011).]

aaronkoch

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2011 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As a noise filter, can you do a running average over .1 to .2 seconds? Seems like it would smooth out the bumps, while still being fairly responsive..

------------------

Currently in the middle of my 88 + 3800NA swap

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2011 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We do have a running average going already, but we're going to take a larger sample like you said. That was one of our ideas. We have a few others, just playing around with the thresholds and sensitivity too. Good suggestion!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2011 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

doublec4

8289 posts
Member since Jun 2003
Here is another very short video. Taken with a different camera, pretty low rez. Hopefully you can make something out from it!

Enjoy
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tested and modified the software for the wing further. Have it working almost perfect again. Just want it to be slightly more sensitive to braking. Other than that, its working flawlessly.

Here are some pictures from the testing session, as well as some pictures from our presentation at the school. All of the final year engineering projects were being presented:

I have a video compilation that one of my group members put together. It should be up on youtube soon and I will post it

Enjoy!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

doublec4

8289 posts
Member since Jun 2003
Here's a compilation video of all of the testing footage so far. I apologize for the weird sounding audio. Something happened to it when I uploaded it to youtube? I don't want to do an "audioswap" otherwise you won't be able to hear the car...

Enjoy!
FieroAK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2011 04:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroAKSend a Private Message to FieroAKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That audio situation is indeed interesting... could hear the car, the singer (Nickelback, good choice man lol), but the music itself was distorted. Ahh youtube, it screws us.

On another note, that wing looks good. I'm assuming the handling and breaking are noticeably improved? Haha.

------------------

This is my newb MS Paint Sig.

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2011 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To be honest, I haven't noticed a difference. Need to get up to higher speeds than you can safely do on a road. Going to be taking it to the track sometime soon for a lapping day!
Curlrup

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2011 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

Playing with electronics...

A little bit of progress everyday.

Arduinos rock! I auve used them on numerous projects for work and I made a 3d printer with one. Good stuff.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2011 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They're definitely handy little guys. Inexpensive too. Very popular for projects!
PFF
System Bot
JSzpotek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2011 02:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JSzpotekSend a Private Message to JSzpotekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ah rockin the Gongshow cap? Atta be!

Enjoy!

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2011 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry! No gongshow hat my friend. Just a regular old mesh back lol.
JSzpotek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2011 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JSzpotekSend a Private Message to JSzpotekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ahh hahaha, looks just like my bud's hat..

Sorry! No gongshow hat my friend. Just a regular old mesh back lol.

Lonster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2011 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LonsterSend a Private Message to LonsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I bought some splash guards and actually placed them in front of the the front wheels. I'm running 225 series tires up front with a 38mm offset rim so they stick out a bit. I've seen these "reverse mudflaps" on some other sports cars. I figured I'd give it a shot, they look pretty good and shield the edge of the tire from air that would create drag on them. Basically they just look cool.

Since you are studying aerodynamics, does this mod have functionality to push the air around the tires and wheelwell?
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2011 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Aerodynamics isn't really my area of study. Myself and two others took on the other project to learn outside of our usual realm. However, I don't think those reverse mudflaps could hurt. It is shielding some of the tire from a direct path of high velocity air. Probably reduces drag on the tires. I figure if they do this kind of thing on high end sports cars, it must have a purpose. They can spend the millions in the wind tunnel testing this stuff, and you just have to copy them
Lonster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2011 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LonsterSend a Private Message to LonsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Enlighten me! Which cars have the reverse mudflaps. Yours is the first I've really seen.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2011 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've definitely seen it on the ZR1, I also remember seeing something similar on a newer-ish Porsche (sorry can't remember the model), as well as an older Imprezza STI. They're around on certain vehicles, just keep your eye out for them. I like the way it looks on the Fiero so I was happy with how it turned out
Lonster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2011 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LonsterSend a Private Message to LonsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info. A quick search on the ZR1 shows: your "reverse mud flap" is also refered to as a "Gurney Flap" or "Gurney Lip" (as was used by Dan Gurney) and is used to direct air around the front wheelwell. The flap also creates a small low pressure area beside the wheel that helps pull air through the brake ducts.
Cool stuff...and functional!

[This message has been edited by Lonster (edited 04-13-2011).]

Lonster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2011 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LonsterSend a Private Message to LonsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lonster

31 posts
Member since Sep 2009
Check this out... goes with your wing engineering. The Gurney flap- http://www.allamericanracers.com/gurney_flap.html
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2011 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the link.

We tried out a gurney flap on the wing when doing some of the CFD analysis, but decided to go without one. I guess the "reverse mud flap" carries the same name. Who knew lol.
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2011 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Saw this back on page 4, and thought, does this look like a face to anyone else?

^ See the resemblance?
bnevets27

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2011 02:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bnevets27Send a Private Message to bnevets27Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What track are you planing to do the lapping at?
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2011 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Planning on taking the car to Cayuga in a few weeks hopefully!

bnevets27

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2011 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bnevets27Send a Private Message to bnevets27Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just stumbled across this: http://www.casc.on.ca/forum...owthread.php?t=22249 (down force sensor)
Not cheap but pertains to the work your doing with your wing.

Btw, if your interested you should come out to one of the lapping day at mostport DDT: http://www.gtfieros.com/php...topic.php?f=7&t=1608
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2011 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks bnevets27, I'll check those links out.

I'll also check my availability for those lapping days. By the way, for some reason I can't get into my account on the GT Fieros site. I emailed the admin but nobody has gotten back to me :S
randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2011 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, I had no idea you were delving into this "wing work" lately.
Very interesting stuff, and you have done some nice innovation there!
Reminds me of the Hall Chaparral CanAm 2E from back in the late 60's but you're a bit more sophisticated in your control approach

" Like previous Chaparrals, the 2E used an “automatic” transmission and did not need a clutch pedal. In its place, the Chaparral team installed a floor pedal to control the wing. With his left foot, the driver could hold the wing in a flat low-drag position when accelerating on high-speed straight sections. When cornering, the driver released the pedal, which moved the front of the wind to a downward angle. The angled wing provided added down force in the corners. It also increased drag to help slow the car. In addition, the pedal controlled the air flow in a tunnel at the front of the 2E to provide a balancing aerodynamic force on the front of the car. "

“It was time to get the wing off the car and onto the suspension. No one seemed to agree with me at the time… but I guess we changed a few minds.”

-Jim Hall, discussing the Chaparral 2E

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 04-18-2011).]

bnevets27

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2011 04:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bnevets27Send a Private Message to bnevets27Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'll also check my availability for those lapping days. By the way, for some reason I can't get into my account on the GT Fieros site. I emailed the admin but nobody has gotten back to me :S

I just sent Adam (thumpr) a pm for you asking him if he get back to you/fix your account.

If you plan on going to one of those lapping days let me know. I'm going to be going to one of them, maybe two, but haven't decided which dates yet. Would be nice to get a couple fiero's out there for a day.

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2011 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Randye, I've actually had a couple of people now mention the Chaparral car to me. I had heard of it before, and the aerodynamic pioneering and ingenuity of some of the Chaparrel cars. Very interesting!

Thanks bnevets27, I received an email back from Adam and had my password reset. Account works again! I'll look into the lapping days, and I hope to get out to some this summer!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lately I've been having a weird problem with starting the car. It would be hard to start, then start and die immediately. Interior lights wouldn't come on when I opened the doors etc. At first I thought it was a loose connection at the battery, but I tried tightening it and that wouldn't help. Took the battery out, had it tested and it tested okay, but not great. Ended up investing in a new battery, the old one bit the dust I guess. All hard start problems have dissapeared. Everything back to normal
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2011 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Had the car out today, tried to find where my slight oil leak is coming from. Also removed the diffuser and mounted it with some different hardware. Finally put my IMSA decals on the calipers that I got from Paul McKibbon a year ago or so:

PFF
System Bot
rourke_87_T-Top

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2011 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rourke_87_T-TopSend a Private Message to rourke_87_T-TopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The fusible link that goes to the battery, inside the plastic casing. You cannot see it because it is incapsulated, but the connections will be heavily oxidized. I cut the plastic capsule off with a box cutter and cleaned all the white powder and made a new clean connection. Adam was telling me he had the same problem recently. It will cause an intermittent electrical problem.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2011 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rourke_87_T-Top:

The fusible link that goes to the battery, inside the plastic casing. You cannot see it because it is incapsulated, but the connections will be heavily oxidized. I cut the plastic capsule off with a box cutter and cleaned all the white powder and made a new clean connection. Adam was telling me he had the same problem recently. It will cause an intermittent electrical problem.

Thanks for the tip. If the problem arises again I'll take a look into that. For now the new battery seems to have completely solved the problem. The old one was 7-8 years old so it lasted a while I suppose (Not bad considering it doesn't see any activity in the winter and no trickle charger)
PF Flyer

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2011 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PF FlyerSend a Private Message to PF FlyerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Updates? Its summer time, or its your time to modify time? whats cooking for this summer?
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2011 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No plans as of yet. Just spent money I don't have on fixing a ball joint failure issue. Left me stranded and I needed a new control arm. Need a job too.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2011 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a picture of the ball joint failure I was referring to:

Just checked on the other side today.... its the same thing waiting to happen.

Looks like I'll be doing another ball joint in the next few days..
Goldenfoot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2011 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GoldenfootSend a Private Message to GoldenfootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ouch! Glad youre ok and for the most part your car too! What exactly happened? Did the threads strip off? Normal driving? Stock ball joints or replacement?
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2011 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lowrider?
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2011 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What happened was that the castle nut wasn't tall enough, or the hole drilled for the cotter pin was too high. This allowed the castle nut to back off. The ball joint was then free to back out a little bit and rock in the spindle. Eventually this broke off the castle nut and the ball joint completely fell out. Junk.

Moral of the story: Don't buy cheap parts from ebay. Namely World Suspensions or whatever they call themselves.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post06-24-2011 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Chris, I have had an instance on another car of mine where the castle nut sat too low after the install. I ended up drilling a new hole for the cotter pin. I cannot remember the brand (a long time ago, and for a Mustang) but, if you ever run into that issue again, there is a fix.

That is one damning pic!

Tony
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 22 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock