Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  #\ *doublec4* /# Official Build Thread (Page 12)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 22 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
#\ *doublec4* /# Official Build Thread by doublec4
Started on: 02-26-2009 06:22 PM
Replies: 863 (69724 views)
Last post by: doublec4 on 12-31-2020 04:32 PM
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2010 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the compliments guys

The car is still filthy, but here are a few pictures to get the idea across:

To answer your question, I don't notice any difference in handling or anything at all (as expected). If there is a difference, it would be very minute.

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 09-23-2010).]

IP: Logged
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2010 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

doublec4

8289 posts
Member since Jun 2003
Hmm, I just thought of another idea for next season... carbon fiber sunroof glass replacement... I'll write it here so I don't forget!
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2010 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work on your car.

How do you like the IMSA scoops? How's the quality and fitment?

Thanks
Nolan
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2010 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sourmug:

Nice work on your car.

How do you like the IMSA scoops? How's the quality and fitment?

Thanks
Nolan

Thanks Nolan. IMSA scoops from fierowarehouse are awesome. Great quality, and absolutely no fitment issues. Bolted right up. Not to mention they look great too
Bridgetown

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2010 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

Hmm, I just thought of another idea for next season... carbon fiber sunroof glass replacement... I'll write it here so I don't forget!

Oh I like this! That is going in my list.

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2010 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bridgetown:

Oh I like this! That is going in my list.

Be sure to post some pictures if you attempt it any time soon

I took some pictures after finally washing it today. Hopefully this does the diffuser more justice.

I still have to do something about those exhaust plates.. they're all burnt.
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2010 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I still have to do something about those exhaust plates.. they're all burnt.

maybe?
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2010 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skuzzbomer:

maybe?

I have a wire brush in the garage. I could give it a shot tomorrow.

I'm so sad... the car must be put away for the winter again in the next week. Next year I'll be able to keep it on the road for an extra month or two... I'll be done school.
JesseM

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2010 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JesseMSend a Private Message to JesseMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good luck with school man, I am right there with ya. Make sure no critters find a home in your pride and joy.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2010 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

doublec4,

Did you ever consider intergrating the diffuser into the rear bumper ? In other words making some cuts and glassing it in to give it a more factory look ?

It would be a lot of work of course, unless you had one of the fiberglass bumpers from Jimmy S.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2010 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks JesseM. It's stored in my parents garage, haven't had any critter problems yet so it should be fine

exoticse, I've thought about integrating it, but I think it would be a lot of work. I don't have any experience with fiberglass, and the diffuser is carbon fiber so I'm not sure how I could even fuse the two of them. Also, I like the fact that I can remove the diffuser so I can access certain areas for service. If it was one piece, I would have to remove the entire rear bumper. It would probably turn into more of a pain than I want lol.
PFF
System Bot
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2010 02:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2010 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

doublec4

8289 posts
Member since Jun 2003
It's that time of the year again...storage time. Washed it, put fuel stabilizer in, removed the battery, and parked it. Took some final shots for the season:

Back to university and collecting parts!

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 09-04-2010).]

aeffertz

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2010 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aeffertzSend a Private Message to aeffertzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sad time.
I have to put my car away in about a month. Going to miss driving it, but will enjoy (for the most part) restoring it from the ground up.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2010 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Definitely sad to put the fiero away for the winter... but it gives me a few months to plan things and collect more parts...

Also... I have a very, very cool project in the works that is related to my engineering program that I will be applying to the fiero. Won't be done for months, but when its finished, it will be really, really cool. Keep an eye out!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2010 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can't have this thread on the second page!

I'll give a little teaser of what the project involves that should be done by next spring/summer:

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2010 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just another little bump...

It's clear what direction this is headed... theres a lot more to it though
Quad GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2010 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad GTSend a Private Message to Quad GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh please oh please don't put on that stupid ricer metal spoiler!!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2010 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Quad GT:

Oh please oh please don't put on that stupid ricer metal spoiler!!

Don't worry, the "ricer metal" spoiler won't be going on the car for the street. I will be keeping my IMSA spoiler and decklid for the street.

I'll just spill the beans on the project right now. Myself and a couple other friends are ground up engineering a spoiler and front splitter for my car. It will be purpose built for track events, and there will be a twist to it. We currently have most of the design done (thats an old picture), and will soon be building it. It will be all aluminum and composite (carbon fiber). Unfortunately we cannot wind tunnel test it (don't have the funds) but we have access to numerous CFD programs that we've used to design it. It WILL be functional, only for the track.
JesseM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2010 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JesseMSend a Private Message to JesseMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whew... I thought you were going to do something evil to that beautiful car... Although it wouldd be sweet to see a formula-esque Fiero. :]
Tinkrr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2010 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TinkrrSend a Private Message to TinkrrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would like to see an analysis on the affect of individual components and the combinations thereof:
- the addition front air dam and Flow splitter
- the addition of a diffuser
- the addition of the high rear spoiler
and their impact on air flow through the radiator and through the engine compartment

It seems to me that your design project is focused on creating downforce by utilizing the flow splitter/air dam/diffuser to minimize and control airflow underneath the car and to supplement downforce by placing the high mount spoiler in undisturbed air. All of which may be counter productive to cooling the engine.

Others often install hood extractors, flooor pans, and NACA ducts to induce air flow through the radiator / engine compartments, doing so will alter the flow drawings you have shown so far.

This is good stuff! Make sure you post all of your findings please.

[This message has been edited by Tinkrr (edited 12-06-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2010 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tinkrr:

I would like to see an analysis on the affect of individual components and the combinations thereof:
- the addition front air dam and Flow splitter
- the addition of a diffuser
- the addition of the high rear spoiler
and their impact on air flow through the radiator and through the engine compartment

It seems to me that your design project is focused on creating downforce by utilizing the flow splitter/air dam/diffuser to minimize and control airflow underneath the car and to supplement downforce by placing the high mount spoiler in undisturbed air. All of which may be counter productive to cooling the engine.

Others often install hood extractors, flooor pans, and NACA ducts to induce air flow through the radiator / engine compartments, doing so will alter the flow drawings you have shown so far.

This is good stuff! Make sure you post all of your findings please.

I'm putting together a pretty thorough analysis of things, and eventually I will post some flow data up. Problem with some of the things you requested such as rad flow, is that it would require a much more complex model. Eventually I may try it out for fun, but at this point things are kept relatively "simple."

The CFD software was mainly used to get some data out of the airfoil that we selected and then tweaked for our needs, the placement of the wing, as well as the length of the splitter. The diffuser wasn't really analyzed, as well as the rad flow (would require "interior flow"). I do plan on putting a hood vent on my car anyways. The bottom of the splitter may get some NACA vents to draw air up towards the rad too. Once the parts are on the car, if I notice an increase in engine temps, I have a few other ideas in mind to extract heat
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2010 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not so much an update with the car, but more with the garage:

4 Post lift going in today

Should make working on the cars a lot easier!
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2010 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not so much an update with the car, but more with the garage:

4 Post lift going in today

Should make working on the cars a lot easier!

Lucky bastard
scott0999

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2010 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for scott0999Send a Private Message to scott0999Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
very nice, keep up the good work
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2010 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys, finished up the install today.

Should be a great asset this summer
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2010 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
so , what brand and where did you get the lift from? i have been thinking about a lift like this for a while .looks great !
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2010 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The lift doesn't seem to have a "brand", although the power unit is a monarch. Everything is North American made, and I got it from "The Lift Super Store" here in Oakville. Went together easily, didn't put up a fight. Fit and finish looks nice, and it wasn't overly expensive. If you're interested, pm me and I can tell you the price and give you some contact info.

Tinkrr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2010 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TinkrrSend a Private Message to TinkrrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you going to install the door track kit that routes the door straight upwards with a small return at the top. It enables you to have a car raised on the hoist and still open the door?
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2010 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We looked into raising the runners for the garage door, but it was an expense/project that we didn't want to take on just yet. Currently we can fit two sports cars, one on top of the other, with the garage door open. Also, with the garage door open and the fiero in the air, I can comfortably get underneath. I can't stand straight up, but I'm only slightly crouching.

Take a look:

By reversing the car onto the lift, the low nose of the fiero allows clearance for the garage door

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 12-28-2010).]

Tinkrr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2010 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TinkrrSend a Private Message to TinkrrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool ! As long as the electric door opener cannot fling the garage door into the windsheild of the car on the lift, it looks like you dont have to do any thing more.

[This message has been edited by Tinkrr (edited 12-30-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2010 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It shouldn't be able to travel back any farther than that, so fingers crossed it won't smash my windshield! lol

Can't wait to start wrenching on it again! Only a little while longer..
Freshj

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2010 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FreshjSend a Private Message to FreshjEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In my opinion, you have, by far, the best looking notchie I've ever seen. Part of that is definately the spoiler. I understand that the aerodynamics could most definitely be improved upon with larger and taller wing, I just hope it doesn't come out too gaudy. I absolutely love the way it looks now!

------------------

Red 86GT 4 Speed "MrDrift"

[This message has been edited by Freshj (edited 12-31-2010).]

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2011 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Freshj:

In my opinion, you have, by far, the best looking notchie I've ever seen. Part of that is definately the spoiler. I understand that the aerodynamics could most definitely be improved upon with larger and taller wing, I just hope it doesn't come out too gaudy. I absolutely love the way it looks now!

Thanks, thats a great compliment

The "new" spoiler will probably be gaudy and tall and stand out. However, its only something for the track (functional). It wouldn't be something I'd drive around with on the street. I'm really partial to my IMSA spoiler and wouldn't part with it in a million years! No worries there
Freshj

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2011 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FreshjSend a Private Message to FreshjEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's good to hear. Going to swap decklids for raceday?

I used to have a red notchie like you and it makes me want to go back. I guess the grass is always greener. I think I'm definately ditching the silver trim and going all black. I think that's what I miss the most about the notch back. Silver just seems to clash.

Wish I still had it. I miss my L67 the most. a good running 2.8 is nice and all, but man did that L67 cook!

[This message has been edited by Freshj (edited 01-01-2011).]

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2011 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep, going to do a decklid swap on race days. Also going to have an easily removable splitter for race days as well. As of right now, the car is too low to run a splitter on the streets.

I think you should go for it and paint your GT ground effects black. You don't see too many fastbacks with that combination, it would look sharp!
PF Flyer

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2011 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PF FlyerSend a Private Message to PF FlyerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I only recently registered but i have been watching your thread for about 6 months, when i got my own fiero, seeing what you have done, starting in high school as am i, is really neat, youve given me so many ideas, kids without bills seem to slip to much money into cars haha, whenever i can, i show a friend your fiero, awesome build cant wait to what you do this coming summer

Mike
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2011 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PF Flyer:

I only recently registered but i have been watching your thread for about 6 months, when i got my own fiero, seeing what you have done, starting in high school as am i, is really neat, youve given me so many ideas, kids without bills seem to slip to much money into cars haha, whenever i can, i show a friend your fiero, awesome build cant wait to what you do this coming summer

Mike

Thanks! Very flattering compliments, I appreciate it.

If you ever have any questions, let me know!
Celthora87GT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2011 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Celthora87GTSend a Private Message to Celthora87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wow.... that took me awhile but i read everything and im amazed. I am going to model my build like yours, slow but steady, and paying a lot of attention to detail. i just got my 87 GT in early December and have only driven it a handful of times. its sad but soon it will be summer and then we can show off our babies.
Thanks
Josh
Great read

------------------
1987 Black GT with BIG plans

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2011 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Josh, I appreciate the kind words.

This morning I was just thinking about all of the stuff I've done to the car. Going over the list in my head. Took me a while, but like you said, slow and steady!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 22 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock