Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Any REAL interest in a widebody kit? (Page 6)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 25 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Any REAL interest in a widebody kit? by Archie
Started on: 02-16-2007 01:24 PM
Replies: 982 (123844 views)
Last post by: FieroFastBackL67 on 11-16-2015 02:58 PM
Blue87moneY

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2007 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Blue87moneYClick Here to visit Blue87moneY's HomePageSend a Private Message to Blue87moneYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would love to have one of these for my 87 GT. If you make these in 4 years, i will definately buy one... After i get out of college and have more money to dump into my car. Awesome looking kit.
IP: Logged
chrisgtp

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2007 04:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chrisgtpSend a Private Message to chrisgtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nice work, i like what i see as soon as you get this painted (so the wife can see, she has no vision) i think you will be shiping a set to st.louis.
FierociousGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2007 06:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:
I'm biased but, I sure love the idea of removing the 80's upper black bumber from the rear and how it is (now 2000 style-ish) intergated with the hips.

Curly can you explain how it's 2000 style-ish (with pics please)? Looks the same to me.
Thx
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2007 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FierociousGT:

Curly can you explain how it's 2000 style-ish (with pics please)? Looks the same to me.
Thx

The Half Round body trim molding at the top of the rear bumper (under the tail lights), has been filled to blend into the bumper For the "No Trim" look.

Archie
pheonix97031

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2007 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pheonix97031Send a Private Message to pheonix97031Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Heya Archie

The kit looks great! I have a question tho. These parts that will attach to the upper half of the door would be fiberglas, and would need to be attached and molded/attached into/onto the platic/SMC/whatever our cars are made out of. How would one go about doing this?

Would one method be to fiberglass them on? If so, you would have to scuff up the areas really good where your going to glass, but would you use polyester resin and fiberglass chopstrand?

The other method I have seen to attach somthing like this was one of madcurls car.... I think. He fastend the panel on with somthing like rivets or bolts, or whatever, then used some kind of flexable bondo-like filler.

What method would you advise to attach your fiberglass parts to our car?

Mike
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2007 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pheonix97031:

Heya Archie

The kit looks great! I have a question tho. These parts that will attach to the upper half of the door would be fiberglas, and would need to be attached and molded/attached into/onto the platic/SMC/whatever our cars are made out of. How would one go about doing this?

Would one method be to fiberglass them on? If so, you would have to scuff up the areas really good where your going to glass, but would you use polyester resin and fiberglass chopstrand?

The other method I have seen to attach somthing like this was one of madcurls car.... I think. He fastend the panel on with somthing like rivets or bolts, or whatever, then used some kind of flexable bondo-like filler.

What method would you advise to attach your fiberglass parts to our car?

Mike

We alway Fiberglass the parts on. Bondo or filler are not made to do that kind of work & will eventually show cracks.

We usually attach the parts where we want them with ST Screws. The Glass it on the outside, turn it over & glass it from the inside. Then we go back to the outside & pull out the screws, then glass the whole outside area again.

Over the last couple of years I've had several Chop Top Threads that have shown a lot of detail of the whole process. Two of those threads are the current threads on Troy's car //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/069871.html & Curley's car //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/050746.html

If you go back & read those threads you'll find all the detail you are looking for.

Hope that helps

Archie
FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2007 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:
The Half Round body trim molding at the top of the rear bumper (under the tail lights), has been filled to blend into the bumper For the "No Trim" look.
Archie

That was the first thing I noticed. Curly mention that the Jelly-O hipps (J-Lo) are tapered. Archie would there have to be any major mod to Fiero Warehouse IMSA front bumper to match your rear bumper (Besides removing the trim)?

Thx... Looking good!

pheonix97031

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2007 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pheonix97031Send a Private Message to pheonix97031Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What type of resin do you use specificaly? I have gone over these threads, and diddnt see what type you need to use to bond to our cars.

Mike
toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2007 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:
... These panels are for the next Curley or Troy who comes along & wants to take what has been built before & "Tweek It" to make it even better or to make it more personallized to suit his tastes... Curley insisted that I try to make something available for the next guy to get a leg up on building the next Fiero that looks even better than Curley's car... Something like this could be what you are needing to get you started...

I think you guys have accomplished your goals, because this stuff is very tempting. I see big possibilities when I look at those rear three-quarter shots of Madcurl's car with the white parts on it. I am waiting for the other pieces to be reproduced and added so I can do some Photochopping. I have been out of the game since last year but hung onto a windshield frame, title, and Northstar, just in case...

And, since I know that the safety of the guys making the parts is being accounted for with state-of-the-art, OSHA-approved, work apparel I can purchase with peace of mind
------------------
toddshotrods.com - wanna ride?
crazy projects, features, articles, art & more

[This message has been edited by toddshotrods (edited 05-07-2007).]

pheonix97031

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2007 05:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pheonix97031Send a Private Message to pheonix97031Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So Archie, what method/procedure/products would we utilize to fiberglass these to our car?

Thats what I really want to know.

Mike
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2007 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We're using tooling resin AOC DX F701-FBB25 & 1.5 oz chopped strand mat.

IMHO, The method is more important than the resin.

Archie
PFF
System Bot
pheonix97031

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2007 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pheonix97031Send a Private Message to pheonix97031Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like alot of work/expensive to get this kit on the car. What is the method your refering to?
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2007 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sounds like alot of work/expensive to get this kit on the car.

I'd recommend that you go back & read the 1st post I made when I started this thread.

What is the method your refering to?

Since we haven't made the molds for the fender caps yet, I can't write you up a set of specific instructions yet but it would be similar to the method described for attaching the "hips" way back when we 1st started on Curley's car.

Basically what you'd do is attach the fender cap with self tapping screws kinda like this is attached.....

Then start fiberglassing it in.

Then get up underneath & glass as much as you can from the underside.

Return to the outside, remove the screws & glass it again.

Then fill & sand to get a finished surface.

Now the fender cap we are doing will come farther up the side of the car than they do in the above pictures.

Archie

pheonix97031

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2007 03:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pheonix97031Send a Private Message to pheonix97031Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, you would rough it up realy good, maybe with a grinder and a wire wheel attachment? After I do this, will my polyester resin work to bond it to the car?

thanks for your patince.....

Mike
Kaleb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2007 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KalebSend a Private Message to KalebEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So, you would rough it up realy good, maybe with a grinder and a wire wheel attachment? After I do this, will my polyester resin work to bond it to the car?

thanks for your patince.....

Mike

i know this question wasnt addressed twords me but i have a simple way to put it....when you grind the part that you will be molding it puts edges in the car-as you probebly know - its like climbing a rock..you need cuts in the rock so you have somthing to hold..same with fiberglass, when you rough it up your giving it something to hold on to, if you were to not do anything with it and simply put the fiberglass on, it would just peel off-i figured this out the hard way and its not fun when you finally get it smooth then it falls off... trust me -

-Kaleb

ducattiman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2007 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ducattimanSend a Private Message to ducattimanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BUMP I HATE WAITING FINISH IT FAST PLS
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2007 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ducattiman:

BUMP I HATE WAITING FINISH IT FAST PLS

From the, "Arch Rival" thread. //www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/050746-22.html

Archie is currently on his way back from the show. He may have a few additional pics once he gets back?

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 05-20-2007).]

ducattiman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2007 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ducattimanSend a Private Message to ducattimanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
as i just got off of work at 12:30 in the mourning.i just check the forum board and see those pics and the only word i can think of is

F**K

[This message has been edited by ducattiman (edited 05-21-2007).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2007 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Smooth Baby-back:

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2007 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So how much is that wide body kit again???

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2007 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

So how much is that wide body kit again???

J, so does this mean you are coming over to the wide side ???

PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2007 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
not yet
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2007 02:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did anyone take notice of what Archie had inside the trailer during the Dells? I did.
ducattiman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2007 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ducattimanSend a Private Message to ducattimanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
G.V.D R THEY DONE YET....I AM GETTING TIRED WAITING ...any longer and i am thinking of getting a 355 kit
FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2007 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Archie Whats the ETA for the rest of the parts?

Thanks

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2007 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FierociousGT:

Archie Whats the ETA for the rest of the parts?

Thanks

As you know, we've already finished the molds for the Rocker panels & we've made 3 sets of parts out of those molds.

We also have the mold for the rear bumper mold done & have made a few rear bumpers out of that mold too.

Now that the Dells show is over I hope to have the rest of the molds done about the end of this month.

Archie
FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2007 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the new Rockers form Daytona '07... I think it was the first set... PM sent regarding the bumper.
americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2007 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wow. looks great archie. start a production on these and i will hafta make that number 1 on my list and go out and get another busted up fiero for the fc355 kit.

[This message has been edited by americasfuture2k (edited 06-12-2007).]

Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2007 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just happened upon this thread so I hope I'm not hitting on something that's been addressed to death previously.

Archie, are you still looking at pricing this in the $2200-2500 range? If so, I'm quite interested. I don't think that price is out of line in the least considering the average cost for a decent Fiero rebody kit. I've shied away from full rebodies because I happen to like the lines of the Fiero GT. However, I appreciate any attempt to embellish the car while still retaining a degree of authenicity. A widebody kit would be a welcome addition.

Please PM me when you've completed your work.

Doni
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2007 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Geezs, three pages back, we can't have that!
V8Steve

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2007 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for V8SteveClick Here to visit V8Steve's HomePageSend a Private Message to V8SteveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Archie,
I'm definitely interested. For the rest of you, I bought my V8Archie kit about 7 years ago and stopped by his shop first. We went for a ride in the Great Blue Chop Top.

I have strong interest in a wide body and chop top in the near future. Keep doing what you're doing....it's great. I met you when you were a tiny less famous than now and I know how hard it is to be successful....keep it up..we apprec it.

------------------
88GT ZZ4 Sequential EFI www.bigstuff3.com - 275 RWHP Dyno'd

[This message has been edited by V8Steve (edited 06-15-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2007 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So who is saving their pennies ??

Gotta have it !
Kaleb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2007 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KalebSend a Private Message to KalebEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ive got mine saved..now i gotta just get up the courage to do it...-theres other things that i need to do with the money to so i need to make a list of prioritys...-it is a beautiful kit tho
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2007 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a little update, the molds for the door panel pcs. will be done this week & the molds for the fender caps will be well on the way by the end of next week.

Archie
FieroGTRwideboby

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2007 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTRwidebobyClick Here to visit FieroGTRwideboby's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTRwidebobyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The car looks awesome, but is it too late to change the quarter window area. Quick photoshop:

-Alex

edited to fix link

[This message has been edited by FieroGTRwideboby (edited 06-20-2007).]

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2007 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We are already making the 1st set of parts out of the door cap molds.

The molds for the rear fender caps are almost done, we should be ready to make the first of the fender caps parts next week.

We should be running production on these parts by the 2nd week of July.

Archie
chrisgtp

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2007 07:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chrisgtpSend a Private Message to chrisgtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sweet.

If you get a chance with the fender could you take a pic of it by a notchback. i ant to see how the lines look. thanks
m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2007 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love the look of this widebody, its a really updated look on fierowarehouses widebody kit,

IM VERY glad you didnt just copy his kit (or the IRM kit, whatever you want to call it) hopefully with the addition of another widebody option it will allow them to get caught up on all their orders, doug said it takes A LONG time to make the widebody kits and requires many man-hours.

The best thing ive seen is the taillight area, the fierowarehouse widebodys just flair out the area past the taillights on the fastbacks and in my opinion looks awful.

these look more blended in.

now maybe he can get the over the roof scoops molded and into production so i can get my pair.

matthew

[This message has been edited by m0sh_man (edited 06-28-2007).]

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2007 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by chrisgtp:

sweet.

If you get a chance with the fender could you take a pic of it by a notchback. i ant to see how the lines look. thanks

I'll be taking pics of these parts in a lot of different situations & angles when they're done.

I should be taking pics of a complete set of parts out of the molds by the end of next week.

Archie
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2007 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now, It's time to find out if there is Any REAL interest in the widebody kit.

We finally have all the molds done & are making production parts as of Monday in all the molds.

Here is what they look like out of the molds.

I've had an '86 Gt in my Field of Dreams that I bought as a donor car a couple years ago.

I decided that we should fit the 1st set of complete panels to that GT so that we can see how the panels would fit a stock roofed Fiero GT & how they'd have to be trimmed for a non chop top car.

Would anyone like to see the pics of that GT fittted with the widebody panels?

Archie
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 25 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock