Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Fiero kept, another Fiero acquired... (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Fiero kept, another Fiero acquired... by 82-T/A [At Work]
Started on: 02-24-2023 12:20 PM
Replies: 129 (1569 views)
Last post by: 82-T/A [At Work] on 06-30-2023 09:48 AM
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2023 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

In this thread though in T-O/T, this thread is about the fact that I just bought another Fiero for my daughter, and that it's about me working with her to get it fixed. I had planned to make a separate post in General for each video she posts, but keep this one updated now and then (for whoever might be interested) on all the other stuff. I didn't even think about that as cross-posting, but I won't do it if Cliff thinks it's a waste.

What is the point of PFF having separate areas if we don't adhere to what distinguishes these areas from one another? It seems totally bizarre to me that at a Fiero forum, you wish to post about your daughter's Fiero experiences in the Totally Off Topic area. If members need to go to the General Fiero Chat area to read about your daughter's Fiero adventures, is that such a bad idea? Isn't that how Cliff Pennock set this forum up to be used?

Yes, I get it... when your daughter acquired a Fiero, you wanted your friends here to know all about it. Now that they know, they should have no problem finding your posts/threads about it in General Fiero Chat, where it belongs.

The next time you wish to post about armadillos in your yard... yes, by all means... post about it here... in Totally Off Topic!
IP: Logged
cliffw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2023 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

What is the point of PFF having separate areas if we don't adhere to what distinguishes these areas from one another? It seems totally bizarre to me that at a Fiero forum, you wish to post about your daughter's Fiero experiences in the Totally Off Topic area. If members need to go to the General Fiero Chat area to read about your daughter's Fiero adventures, is that such a bad idea? Isn't that how Cliff Pennock set this forum up to be used?

Yes, I get it... when your daughter acquired a Fiero, you wanted your friends here to know all about it. Now that they know, they should have no problem finding your posts/threads about it in General Fiero Chat, where it belongs.

The next time you wish to post about armadillos in your yard... yes, by all means... post about it here... in Totally Off Topic!

C'mon man. Cliff Pennock set this forum up for many reasons. Only he and his shadow know why. For all you don't know, he might have set it up for selfish reasons (kidding) so he could get advice for his addiction. Not being selfish, he made the forum more functionally pleasing for all members. So we can share all of our aspects of life and learn each others.

Too bad Jazzman quit the forum and took all of his technical post away but one (blaming me). He would now have a political subsection to not biatch about politics being discussed. Which he would visit, and not have a biatch to stand on. Do not delude yourself, JazzMan was very political. He did not like his views being challenged. To shield his self from that, his gripe became because conversations evolve. To many things. Including politics.

In this case, Todd's thread "in the wrong subsection", what actually was so offending ? It evolved into friendly tow education. Can that not be in the OT subsection. I would have missed that info, nor be able to help, if it was in Chat. I barely go there.

Patrick, are you trying to make Chat more famous ? T/OT is the main draw for use of the forum. The forum is not a Fiero only chat board.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2023 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

In this case, Todd's thread "in the wrong subsection", what actually was so offending ? It evolved into friendly tow education. Can that not be in the OT subsection. I would have missed that info, nor be able to help, if it was in Chat. I barely go there.

I already covered that, but just for you Cliff, I'll make a few minor changes and state it again...

When Todd's daughter acquired a Fiero, he wanted his friends here (in OT) to know all about it. And that's great! But now that we're aware, none of us should have any problem finding the posts/threads about his daughter's Fiero in General Fiero Chat.

Seriously, if someone can't be bothered to look in General Fiero Chat for discussion on a Fiero (whether it be Todd's daughter's Fiero or otherwise), how interested can they really be?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-25-2023).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2023 07:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

... but just for you Cliff ...
When Todd's daughter acquired a Fiero, he wanted his friends here (in OT) to know all about it. And that's great! But now that we're aware, none of us should have any problem finding the posts/threads about his daughter's Fiero in General Fiero Chat.

Seriously, if someone can't be bothered to look in General Fiero Chat for discussion on a Fiero (whether it be Todd's daughter's Fiero or otherwise), how interested can they really be?

I can understand your thinking. However, should Todd have made a post in T/OT to let us know about his daughter's first Fiero, "details in Chat" ?

I quit looking into Chat when I saw so too many posts such as "I spied a Fiero on US295. Was that you ?", and "Does this color look good" ?, Also, "Should I get another one" ?

I go to Chat from time to time. It is a good venue. I have some good threads there. Yet, I can be interested in Fiero's at the local tavern. Even a tavern anywhere.

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2023 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seriously, if someone can't be bothered to look in OT for discussion on a Fiero (whether it be Todd's daughter's Fiero or otherwise), how interested can they really be?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2023 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...should Todd have made a post in T/OT to let us know about his daughter's first Fiero, "details in Chat" ?

Absolutely. If he didn't, I probably would've!

Originally posted by maryjane:

Seriously, if someone can't be bothered to look in OT for discussion on a Fiero (whether it be Todd's daughter's Fiero or otherwise), how interested can they really be?

Let me fix that for you.

Originally posted by newb city guy:

Seriously, if someone can't be bothered to look in General Fiero Chat for discussion on city guy questions (whether it be maryjane's city or otherwise), how interested can they really be?

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2023 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Let me fix that for you.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by newb city guy:
Seriously, if someone can't be bothered to look in General Fiero Chat for discussion on city guy questions (whether it be maryjane's city or otherwise), how interested can they really be?

Those were the days my friend ...

I remember when some would slip the word Fiero in the thread title, or the body of the topic. Just so it qualified for Chat.

OldsFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2023 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OldsFieroSend a Private Message to OldsFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats to your daughter on a well done video. I noticed at the 9:36 mark that the pinch bolt where the column connects to the intermediate shaft appears to be missing. If the car is going to be driven before restoration begins, you might want to address that.

I'm looking forward to more of her vids.

Marc
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2023 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by OldsFiero:

Congrats to your daughter on a well done video. I noticed at the 9:36 mark that the pinch bolt where the column connects to the intermediate shaft appears to be missing. If the car is going to be driven before restoration begins, you might want to address that.

I'm looking forward to more of her vids.

Marc

Thanks Marc! Yes, that was actually a picture from MY Fiero, which is in storage. The bolt has since been put back in, but that was a picture I gave her showing what the pedals should look like when cleaned up and at the correct height. She couldn't find one online, so I went looking through my old pictures. That car hasn't been driven in like 13 years... still in storage... sigh.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2023 06:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Todd (and anyone else that might be interested),

We previously discussed the car I replaced my FIero(s) with, my Pontiac Solstice. This happened yesterday.

Was at a local grocery store, had ordered a birthday cake for a friend. Came out a bit disgusted because of what I was going to have to pay. My Lord, $54.00 for a birthday cake was running through my head as I opened the door and slid into the Solstice seat.

All of a sudden, I hear a voice coming from behind me.

The fine looking 50ish lady walked up to my passenger door (the top was down as always) and said, "Sir, I just had to tell you that I Love your car.". I said thank you as she disappeared behind me again. I have no idea who the fine lady was but, I had already forgotten about the price of the cake and drove out with a smile on my face.

Just had to share.

Rams
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2023 07:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

We previously discussed the car I replaced my FIero(s) with, my Pontiac Solstice. This happened yesterday.

Was at a local grocery store, had ordered a birthday cake for a friend. Came out a bit disgusted because of what I was going to have to pay. My Lord, $54.00 for a birthday cake was running through my head as I opened the door and slid into the Solstice seat.

All of a sudden, I hear a voice coming from behind me.

The fine looking 50ish lady walked up to my passenger door (the top was down as always) and said, "Sir, I just had to tell you that I Love your car.". I said thank you as she disappeared behind me again. I have no idea who the fine lady was but, I had already forgotten about the price of the cake and drove out with a smile on my face.

Just had to share.

Rams

The Solstice has a lot of different emotions for me. For one, I definitely miss my Solstice a lot... but I had a LOT of fun with it, so I won't be incredibly sad if I never get another one. I had it for several years, since new, and really, thoroughly enjoyed it. I mean, I took it to the beach many times, I upgraded it, and I was fairly young when I had it... so best of all worlds. But on the other hand, it also makes me very angry because I really liked the brand, and it was one of the last cars that GM made under the Pontiac name before the whole *FORCED* bankruptcy. Which, we all recognize now had nothing to do with GM, but because the pension fund for the United Auto Worker's union was basically bankrupt, and the union was going to collapse. It was a political payback to the unions for their support. If anyone needs or wants me to go into detail, I really dug into this... so I can give the ENTIRE background, including how everyone on the Auto Task Force and the new board of directors of GM were all political donors, and had no car experience. Pontiac was successful, and was selling well... but it was counter to the image that the Obama administration had for the new General Motors... which was to be an entirely green company. They almost cancelled the Corvette too, but there was mass uproar in GM, and the UAW had the final decision on that... effectively saving the Corvette by insisting to the new board that this wasn't going to fly.

I will never buy another GM car ever again... not a new one at least. That doesn't preclude me from buying a Pontiac... but GM is basically dead to me, and the Solstice evokes this emotion in me. Call me dramatic... but since I was 16, other than girls and computers, there were two things I liked... the Ford Mustang, and literally everything Pontiac.

EDIT: I was going to say... I feel like the Solstice is now at that sweet spot where, if you are going to get one, now is the time to get one. They are relatively inexpensive, though many of them are selling used for the same price I paid new ($21,xxx). But there are many of them going for well under $10k, and with decently low miles. You may have convertible top issues... but the bodies and mechanics are still solid. I think in another 5 years, the supply of these vehicles are going to dwindle and many will be squirreled away, or will get the piss beaten out of them. So if you want one... this is probably the best time to get a SOLID one for a modest price.

[This message has been edited by 82-T/A [At Work] (edited 03-29-2023).]

PFF
System Bot
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2023 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The Solstice has a lot of different emotions for me. For one, I definitely miss my Solstice a lot... but I had a LOT of fun with it, so I won't be incredibly sad if I never get another one. I had it for several years, since new, and really, thoroughly enjoyed it. I mean, I took it to the beach many times, I upgraded it, and I was fairly young when I had it... so best of all worlds. But on the other hand, it also makes me very angry because I really liked the brand, and it was one of the last cars that GM made under the Pontiac name before the whole *FORCED* bankruptcy. Which, we all recognize now had nothing to do with GM, but because the pension fund for the United Auto Worker's union was basically bankrupt, and the union was going to collapse. It was a political payback to the unions for their support. If anyone needs or wants me to go into detail, I really dug into this... so I can give the ENTIRE background, including how everyone on the Auto Task Force and the new board of directors of GM were all political donors, and had no car experience. Pontiac was successful, and was selling well... but it was counter to the image that the Obama administration had for the new General Motors... which was to be an entirely green company. They almost cancelled the Corvette too, but there was mass uproar in GM, and the UAW had the final decision on that... effectively saving the Corvette by insisting to the new board that this wasn't going to fly.

I will never buy another GM car ever again... not a new one at least. That doesn't preclude me from buying a Pontiac... but GM is basically dead to me, and the Solstice evokes this emotion in me. Call me dramatic... but since I was 16, other than girls and computers, there were two things I liked... the Ford Mustang, and literally everything Pontiac.

EDIT: I was going to say... I feel like the Solstice is now at that sweet spot where, if you are going to get one, now is the time to get one. They are relatively inexpensive, though many of them are selling used for the same price I paid new ($21,xxx). But there are many of them going for well under $10k, and with decently low miles. You may have convertible top issues... but the bodies and mechanics are still solid. I think in another 5 years, the supply of these vehicles are going to dwindle and many will be squirreled away, or will get the piss beaten out of them. So if you want one... this is probably the best time to get a SOLID one for a modest price.

Well Todd,
The only feelings I left that parking lot with is, I was no longer frustrated with the price of that cake and how much I enjoy driving that convertible Solstice. I wonder how she felt about balding men driving such a car but didn't go there.

Rams
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2023 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

... (the top was down as always) ...

You may have convertible top issues...

A tid bit of advice from my Dad. He has had many convertibles. Many of them classic cars. Some of them solid top retractables. His latest is a 1953 Ford something or other. Customline I think it is.
He is having the top's fabric replaced.

He mentioned to me to always keep the top up when not enjoying it while it is down. He cautioned me because the top can not shrink. Also because it won't dry rot from always being folded.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2023 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cliffw

35956 posts
Member since Jun 2003

... I was no longer frustrated with the price of that cake ...

I haven't bought a cake in over 25 years. Cindi makes them. I didn't know they cost so much. I can't give her a raise because I don't pay her.

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2023 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well Todd,
The only feelings I left that parking lot with is, I was no longer frustrated with the price of that cake and how much I enjoy driving that convertible Solstice. I wonder how she felt about balding men driving such a car but didn't go there.

Rams

Hahah... yeah, I get it. I used to get that a lot too... that car got so much attention that it actually became too much! It's a very cool looking car.

I'll never forget when I was driving with the top down, and there was an older lady in the car behind me (who's age I probably now am), and she was in one of the older BMW Z3 convertibles. I happened to be looking in my rear-view, and we were both at a light, and she quickly took her top down while she was still in the car, and did all the things to stow it... because either she didn't want to be outdone, or she thought what I was doing was a good idea, or she wanted to show off to me. When the light turned, she floored it and got next to me and then slowed down once she was a couple of car lengths ahead of me. Hahah...

A tid bit of advice from my Dad. He has had many convertibles. Many of them classic cars. Some of them solid top retractables. His latest is a 1953 Ford something or other. Customline I think it is.
He is having the top's fabric replaced.

He mentioned to me to always keep the top up when not enjoying it while it is down. He cautioned me because the top can not shrink. Also because it won't dry rot from always being folded.

I mean, there's not much alternative. The issues with a convertible top are worth the benefits. I think what you're saying is... always keep the top up when you're not using it. I agree. There were a few times when I'd have the top down for a couple of days straight... like in the Winter in South Florida when it doesn't rain. I left the top down for three days straight, and it took almost a month for the creases in the fabric to come out.

If you're keeping it in a garage... my advice is to keep the roof up, but not latched. You SHOULD push down the sail panels though because those will crease... and you can always replace the little elastic straps that retract them. But don't latch the roof up... just have it "closed" but with a slight gap.

It prevents the roof from stretching (so it stays taught longer), but prevents creases from forming. This is assuming you keep it in a garage.

EDIT: honestly... if you have a garage for the car, and it's not something you HAVE to drive all the time, and only for fun... who cares if the roof is messed up. I envisioned one day I'd have a massive garage with lots of cars in it, and I thought about just taking the convertible roof off completely and stowing it away to reduce weight and wear on it. Then, I'd only take the car out when it wasn't raining. They have a tonneau cover that someone made which snaps in and can cover the passenger area quickly in case you're stuck in a storm.

[This message has been edited by 82-T/A [At Work] (edited 03-29-2023).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2023 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Second video posted!

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/100402.html

[This message has been edited by 82-T/A [At Work] (edited 04-07-2023).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2023 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I happened to be looking in my rear-view, and we were both at a light, and she quickly took her top down while she was still in the car, and did all the things to stow it... because either she didn't want to be outdone, or she thought what I was doing was a good idea, or she wanted to show off to me.

Were they big ol gooduns or good ol bigguns?
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2023 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Latest video... dropping the Fiero Fuel Tank and removing the fuel sending unit!!!

I happened to be looking in my rear-view, and we were both at a light, and she quickly took her top down while she was still in the car, and did all the things to stow it... because either she didn't want to be outdone, or she thought what I was doing was a good idea, or she wanted to show off to me.

Were they big ol gooduns or good ol bigguns?

Hahah... I totally missed this!!!
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2023 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Todd, I may tag along on this thread later today or tomorrow with something to make you 2 both jealous..
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2023 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Todd, I may tag along on this thread later today or tomorrow with something to make you 2 both jealous..

Oh man!!! What did MJ just buy!!!

Looking forward to seeing it!!!
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2023 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nothing but that might change..

(edit at 3:45pm Friday. Under tornado warning, currently strong winds here, torrential rain and quarter size hail. We may do nothing today or this weekend)

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 04-28-2023).]

PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2023 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When it's Roundup time in Texas....4-29-2023 0630 hrs

AAFO in Bertram

picture doesn't do this paint justice. it's gorgeous

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 04-29-2023).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2023 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fourth video...

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/100420.html

Next weekend will be removing the intake, alternator, TBI, etc., and checking to see if her engine has flat tappets or hydraulic lifters.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2023 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Episode 5 - https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/100431.html

MJ, did you ever end up buying a Fiero or another little project?
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2023 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MJ, did you ever end up buying a Fiero or another little project?

None of the above. The pictures are from when Jane and I went to AAFO's Roundup in Bertam Tx, about 40 miles south of here April 29-30.. I DID attempt to get in Blake's Fiero while there but that was an embarrassing failure, as I could not get swiveled around enough to get my legs under the steering wheel and I had to have help getting back out and back on my feet. I hated everyone had to see me like that, but that's my life now.

(I am currently looking into a 1997 F-150 single cab with 4.6 V8 and 6 spd manual. Way older than I really want but it might make a good project for me.)

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 05-14-2023).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2023 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

(I am currently looking into a 1997 F-150 single cab with 4.6 V8 and 6 spd manual. Way older than I really want but it might make a good project for me.)

I had a 98 F-150, one and a half cab, with the 4.6 V8. Not only was I unimpressed, I am a critic. Power was most noticeable. My 2005 4.0 Toyota had more balls.

Maintenance next. I have to keep it short but google "ford 4.6 spark plug change problems".
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2023 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I had to have help getting back out and back on my feet. I hated everyone had to see me like that, but that's my life now.

Haha, don't feel bad MJ... that's just what happens. We will all get there. I'm no longer 18 anymore either. At 45 I can still get in and out of a Fiero, but I know that 20 years from now, it will be even more difficult to get in and out of one.

What kind of 6-Speed is that? That's pretty cool... I didn't know they had a 6-Speed?

I had a 98 F-150, one and a half cab, with the 4.6 V8. Not only was I unimpressed, I am a critic. Power was most noticeable. My 2005 4.0 Toyota had more balls.

Maintenance next. I have to keep it short but google "ford 4.6 spark plug change problems".

It's kind of unfair to compare a more modern premier performance-based VVT DOHC motor with the standard truck V8 from the mid to late 90s. The 4.6 SOHC V8 was a super-reliable engine that was standard on several Ford vehicles. It was built primarily for reliability and torque. It was in everything from the F-150, to the Mustang, to the Crown Victoria. It's what all the police cars had, and they routinely rack up over 300k+ miles on the odometer after policy duty, and as a taxi cab. This doesn't even consider the "hours" that the engine spent idling... just the miles that were driven, almost all of which were hard. There's no way a Toyota 4.0 VVT V6 would be able to handle that kind of daily abuse.

In 2001, Ford improved the standard SOHC V8 with what they called the PI intake and heads, which stood for performance improver. These engines were the same displacement, slightly hotter cam, and really woke up the engine... 239hp but grew to 250hp by 2004 w/ 300 ft-lbs of torque. And just to emphasize, this wasn't the "performance" engine. This was just the standard Crown Victoria engine... which was all about reliability, not performance. The Mustang got the same version of the engine, but was 260hp in the Mustang GT.

There was a 3-valve version of the engine, which was in the Ford F-series trucks that put out over 300hp, and 320 ft-pounds. This was even in the Ford Explorer (one like mine).

If we're talking "PERFORMANCE" versions of the engine, they also sold a DOHC version of the motor which was 4 valves per cyl, which was 320hp and 300 ft-lbs with a much flatter torque curve. This was in the Mercury Marauder, Mustang GT, Lincoln Aviator, and a few other vehicles.

Just to emphasize... the 4.6 SOHC V8 was one of the base motors you could get in the F-150, if you didn't get the straight-6 (which I'm not sure if they even sold it anymore at that point). Just kind of unfair to compare I think, haha...

I wouldn't worry about the spark plug problem. That was a problem for people who changed the spark plugs. The platinum plugs (stock) were rated for 150k miles, and the only reason this became an issue is because a LOT of people were hot rodding this engine, and what is the one thing people always do... try to replace their spark plugs. The plugs would get cross-threaded (since it was an aluminum head) and then leak, burn the plug seat, and blow out requiring a helicoil. It only really happened after people would change the plugs... or even shops, and they didn't torque them down properly.

I've changed the plugs on my 2002 Crown Victoria, and when I DO actually drive it, I beat the piss out of it. Mine puts out about ~250-255hp (it's been tuned, and has some of the upgrades from the newer Crown Victorias). I've never had an issue with it, ever...

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2023 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What kind of 6-Speed is that? That's pretty cool... I didn't know they had a 6-Speed?

Sorry, it's a typo. 5 spd.
Yes, they dropped the inline 300 cu in in 97. I worked on so many different vehicles as a mechanic over the years, and even more with diesels in boats and on oilfield applications with hard to reach components that not much bothers me. I've had to manufacture some 'special tools' at times but never had to cut up any sheet metal or do any of the other crazy crap I've read about on line.

Cliff, I wouldn't ever own any Jap sh**. I'm not worried about power any more than it takes to haul me around.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 05-15-2023).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2023 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

There was a 3-valve version of the engine, which was in the Ford F-series trucks that put out over 300hp, and 320 ft-pounds. This was even in the Ford Explorer (one like mine).

I'm seriously considering buying this so I can strip it...

https://www.autotrader.com/...c3f642204c78774d7c5a

It's the 3v SOHC 4.6 V8. It has a ton of power, and it was only put into the Explorer because they were trying to market that platform for police use. There were many police and Federal agencies that purchased the 2007-2009 Ford Explorer (RWD) for police duty... but since they had done the work, they also sold the engine in the Eddie Bauer edition. Which is what this is. I don't really care for all the nonsense fake wood and whatnot, but it's a pretty clean car, and I could take the entire drivetrain and drop it in my car (after rebuilding the engine).

... and then put my old engine and transmission into the other car and sell it.

[This message has been edited by 82-T/A [At Work] (edited 05-15-2023).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2023 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cliff, I wouldn't ever own any Jap sh**. I'm not worried about power any more than it takes to haul me around.

I know. We have discussed our different views before. I meant to mention that.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2023 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I know. We have discussed our different views before. I meant to mention that.

I'm not incredibly biased on what I drive, but what I own usually has to be American just because it's cheaper / easier to work on.

No doubt the Toyota is a solid vehicle... but I saw some shade thrown against the 4.6, and I needed to defend it. Hahah...

If you had a Tacoma and a F-150, both with AWD... who would win the truck pull?
https://youtu.be/0jnleuYqFwY?t=455
PFF
System Bot
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2023 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If you had a Tacoma and a F-150, both with AWD... who would win the truck pull?

Todd, your link, which appears to me to look to be an income gathering ??? click bait. It does not mention an AWD Tacoma P/U or a F150 P/U. Because, they do not exist, and never had. I have been wrong before.

An F150 AWD ? Sacrilege. I have been wrong before.

An F150, against a Tacoma ? Many factors determine the results. Weight being one. A Ford V8 vs a 6 cyl ?
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2023 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Todd, your link, which appears to me to look to be an income gathering ??? click bait. It does not mention an AWD Tacoma P/U or a F150 P/U. Because, they do not exist, and never had. I have been wrong before.

An F150 AWD ? Sacrilege. I have been wrong before.

An F150, against a Tacoma ? Many factors determine the results. Weight being one. A Ford V8 vs a 6 cyl ?

LOL... 4x4. Don't get testy! I'm sure there's an occasion when a Toyota wins a truck pull...

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2023 07:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Don't get testy!

Too late, .

In 2001, Ford improved the standard SOHC V8 with what they called the PI intake and heads, which stood for performance improver. Just to emphasize, this wasn't the "performance" engine. This was just the standard Crown Victoria engine ...

I can not knock the Crown Victoria. The standard Fiero engine was the 2.5, .

If we're talking "PERFORMANCE" versions of the engine, they also sold a DOHC version of the motor which was 4 valves per cyl, which was 320hp and 300 ft-lbs with a much flatter torque curve. This was in the Mercury Marauder, Mustang GT, Lincoln Aviator, and a few other vehicles.

This thread's discussion led me to explore what engine was in the Police Interceptors. They were equipped with a 3.3 hybrid (318hp), an available 3.0 EcoBoost put out 400hp. New to me, the Police Responder came equipped with a 3.5 EcoBoost which also gave 400hp under the hood but with a muscular 500-ft lbs of torque.

Just to emphasize... the 4.6 SOHC V8 was one of the base motors you could get in the F-150, if you didn't get the straight-6 (which I'm not sure if they even sold it anymore at that point). Just kind of unfair to compare I think, haha...

I wasn't, ... intending to introduce an unfair comparison. I was mentioning another option.

I am a big fan of the Ford straight 6. My 85 CJ has an almost identical engine. I also like the Chevy straight 6.

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2023 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I can not knock the Crown Victoria. The standard Fiero engine was the 2.5, .

My Crown Victoria is loaded, basically every single option that was available that year, except the sunroof (which was a special-order option), and the performance gears. With a 3.33:1, I would usually run very low 15s with the GTECH (yes, I still have one, haha) back in the day when I cared. It's a totally stock 4.6 SOHC V8 with the factory performance improver heads. Only thing I'd done to it at that time was an ECM reflash, a larger throttle body, larger mass air flow sensor (80mm), and a larger air box (from the Mercury Marauder). Obviously, I took out the spare and anything I had in the trunk and left it with my buddy, but the car has full leather bench seats, the extra layer of factory sound deadening underneath the plush carpet, and so many other totally unnecessary things. It even has the factory subwoofer... so it's absolutely a heavy Crown Vic...

This thread's discussion led me to explore what engine was in the Police Interceptors. They were equipped with a 3.3 hybrid (318hp), an available 3.0 EcoBoost put out 400hp. New to me, the Police Responder came equipped with a 3.5 EcoBoost which also gave 400hp under the hood but with a muscular 500-ft lbs of torque.

To be clear, that's current for the Ford police/duty vehicles. It's a 3.5 Twin Turbo V6... really powerful. They also sell the twin turbo in civilian duty, but as is always the case with Ford, when you get the police version, it always comes with a ton of things that the civilian one does not. Chrysler doesn't really do this with the Dodge Charger. With Chrysler, in almost every case, they just take their performance version, and offer a stripped-down version of the chassis to get rid of all the options, and then do a few things like replace the floor mats with rubber, etc...

With my Crown Victoria, I tried to upgrade it as much as possible with police hardware... to be clear, not police "looking" stuff, like no lights or teardrop stuff or any of that nonsense. I absolutely do not want it to look like a cop car. But I upgraded it with all the other performance stuff. For example, the Police Interceptor was the only version where you could get an aluminum driveshaft. So I swapped it right out with my steel one.

I also installed all the radio interference straps, the jack mount from the older cars (so it mounts in the fender well, and not in the trunk), I upgraded the door lighting with the lights from the older 1995-1997 models (98-02 just got a reflector), upgraded to the factory Ford blue silicone hoses that were optional on the P71. Gosh... so many different things. There were even a lot of luxury things that you could get from the Lincoln Town Car which swapped over (usually to deaden the sound), like little inserts in the core support that minimized harmonics from the fan and engine... I even swapped over the safety / impact components from the P71 that were added later to protect you in a 100mph crash to prevent the fuel tank from being punctured. It's one of the few cars that can withstand a 75mph impact front and back. I also took the exhaust system from the Grand Marquis Limited Sport Edition. The Police Interceptor has a slightly better exhaust, but it's too open and loud. The LSE version of the exhaust is chambered, but designed to be super-quiet while you're just cruising around ... but when you stomp on the gas, it wakes up... I mean, it screams, like a roar.

The website is old... I haven't updated it in like over a decade, but it's all here: https://www.pontiacperforma...t/car02CrownVic.html

Some of the images are broken because I upgraded from a Windows host to a Linux host, and as you know... Linux is case sensitive, so a bunch of the images broke. I just have to go back and fix it one day.

This is what it looks like...

As you can see, not at all police looking. Also, I swapped out the cornering lights with the one from the Grand Marquis. It has actual cornering lights. So... when you use the turn signal, it will direct a corner headlight in the direction of where you are turning. It's pretty sweet. Because Ford would often re-use stuff... they found it easier to just include the Crown Victorias, Grand Marquis, and Lincoln Town Cars with this wiring, even though the Crown Victorias never came with it. So literally all I had to do was replace the light, and plug it in, and it just worked. Even the existing relay was there.

Honestly, I love that car... but to be completely honest, it literally just sits in the garage. I haven't driven it in like 3 months, and when I did, it was just to take it around the block. I think I've driven it less than 40 miles on the past 2 years.

I envision one day I have a large enough garage where I can have all these cars easily parked and ready to go... and not squirreled away in the side of the garage, and then I can just hop in one whenever I feel like it and take it for a drive.

Hopefully none of this comes out like a brag... I've spent a lot of work keeping it looking stock and trying to find upgrades from the other platformed vehicles. The car is basically worth nothing... it has no real value. I don't even think I could sell it for $5 grand if I wanted to... but I love the car.

I am a big fan of the Ford straight 6. My 85 CJ has an almost identical engine. I also like the Chevy straight 6.

The AMC 4.0L Straight Six... really strong engine. Worst thing Chrysler could have done was get rid of that engine and replace it with the 3.6. The long crank and inline 6 is what gave it that torque. They could have fixed the emissions... but they didn't want to put in the effort.

[This message has been edited by 82-T/A [At Work] (edited 05-17-2023).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2023 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Todd, I am impressed with your Crown Vic and your passion of it.

The AMC 4.0L Straight Six... really strong engine. Worst thing Chrysler could have done was get rid of that engine and replace it with the 3.6. The long crank and inline 6 is what gave it that torque. They could have fixed the emissions... but they didn't want to put in the effort.

Not quite true. AMC had the 4.2. Chrysler replaced it with the 4.0. Almost identical to the 4.2, which they owned by buying Jeep from AMC, but the 4.0 was fuel injected, and put out better abilities.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2023 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not quite true. AMC had the 4.2. Chrysler replaced it with the 4.0. Almost identical to the 4.2, which they owned by buying Jeep from AMC, but the 4.0 was fuel injected, and put out better abilities.

Can you take the crank, rods, and pistons from the 4.2 and put it into the 4.0 to get the larger stroke (or bore?) and the increased displacement with the more modern components of the fuel injected 4.0? Would be interested to see what a more reliable version of the larger 4.0 would look like.

Does it have roller lifters too? My grandfather had a Jeep Cherokee, and it would break the tires loose when you were just cruising at 30 some miles an hour and stomped the gas. It was a fantastic motor...
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2023 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Can you take the crank, rods, and pistons from the 4.2 and put it into the 4.0 to get the larger stroke (or bore?) and the increased displacement with the more modern components of the fuel injected 4.0? Would be interested to see what a more reliable version of the larger 4.0 would look like.

All very good questions. I have a good answer. I don't know, . Wouldn't the 4.2 be the larger engine ?

I do know what you are alluding to. I do know all small block chevy engines are essentially the same block, with different rod stroke length, larger pistons, larger intake/exhaust valves and intake ex, and other upgrades.

To be honest, I am not sure why the fuel injected 4.0 is the desirable upgrade. I do not know the output specs, (hp,torque, wheel torque). I do know the 4.2 carburetor was crap. A Ford two barrel MC2100 is what I run. Very good carb ! However, climbing a steep hill, without fuel injection, does cause gas delivery issues. Nothing like being on a steep hill, stalling, with a standard, when you need to use the clutch pedal, the brake pedal, and the gas pedal, all at the same time. Ask me how I know, . (I now run a automatic tranny.)

My grandfather had a Jeep Cherokee, and it would break the tires loose when you were just cruising at 30 some miles an hour and stomped the gas. It was a fantastic motor...

I would be interested to know more about it. Year, engine size, other.

Todd, you might like to know about Clifford Performance.

Started by an actual race car driver who raced against other sixers and V-8s. He won many trophies. His company motto became "6=8".

One day when my Wife lets me to also have a rich girlfriend, I am going to buy a Cliff's performance engine. As an added bonus, my name will be emblazoned on the aluminum intake and the aluminum valve cover. (stock valve covers are plastic, and crap)
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2023 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I would be interested to know more about it. Year, engine size, other.

Todd, you might like to know about Clifford Performance.

Started by an actual race car driver who raced against other sixers and V-8s. He won many trophies. His company motto became "6=8".

One day when my Wife lets me to also have a rich girlfriend, I am going to buy a Cliff's performance engine. As an added bonus, my name will be emblazoned on the aluminum intake and the aluminum valve cover. (stock valve covers are plastic, and crap)

I think I was in high school at the time. My grandfather has long since passed, and I have no idea where that car went.

I think it was maybe a ~1986? It was a 4-door Jeep Cherokee with 4x4, and the 4 liter straight 6. It was an orange / brown color (maybe two tone... might have even had faux wood stickers on the side). Brown interior. He bought it because he owned a cabin in West Virginia, and it's a long drive up his mountain to get to it. I drove it a couple of times, and really got a kick out of it. Steering was rather wild... felt like it was all over the place (this was 1995-1996, so about 10 years old)... but yeah, if I was cruising down the backroads at 30 in Northern Virginia, and slammed on the gas, it would break the rear tires loose. It had lots of torque. I drove it maybe two or three times, never used the 4x4 because I didn't know how to and didn't need to.

When I bought my 2002 Ford Explorer Sport back in... 2009? I was actually looking for a used 2-door Cherokee. But I couldn't find a single one that didn't have many hundreds of thousands of miles on it. Even then, they were asking absurd prices. I went with my 2002 Ford Explorer Sport (in early 2009) because it only had 32k miles, and was basically immaculate. I needed a reliable car with low miles that was still fun / sporty, but that I could haul stuff with as I renovated my house, and could have more than 1 passenger (I got rid of my Solstice for it).
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2023 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This happened yesterday.

Just had to share.

Rams

That's awesome!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to: