Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Fiero kept, another Fiero acquired... (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Fiero kept, another Fiero acquired... by 82-T/A [At Work]
Started on: 02-24-2023 12:20 PM
Replies: 129 (1569 views)
Last post by: 82-T/A [At Work] on 06-30-2023 09:48 AM
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2023 07:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
EDIT: Oh yeah, I really do miss that Solstice, a lot. But I knew I couldn't keep it and have a kid. My wife and I both had two-door convertibles as our daily drivers.

I know how that is. Same reason I sold the vette. I had it when I got married and wife had a Mustang and a 2 year old daughter, we couldn't go anywhere much in the vette. (back then, a kid "could" ride in the passenger's lap without all the safety laws we have today.) Anyway, the vette got sold and the wife's piece of crap 6 cyl mustang stayed. A year later the twins were born and it was station wagon time...

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 03-09-2023).]

IP: Logged
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2023 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

I know how that is. Same reason I sold the vette. I had it when I got married and wife had a Mustang and a 2 year old daughter, we couldn't go anywhere much in the vette. (back then, a kid "could" ride in the passenger's lap without all the safety laws we have today.) Anyway, the vette got sold and the wife's piece of crap 6 cyl mustang stayed. A year later the twins were born and it was station wagon time...

Hahah... yeah, exactly. But the question I ask is... when you say station-wagon time... would that be Olds or Buick 455 big block station-wagon time? Or like Rocket 350 or Chrysler 308 time?

Originally posted by blackrams:

As I indicated previously, had I been able to build a convertible Fiero, it would still be titled in my name. I absolutely love driving and riding in the wind. If you were to take a glance into my garage, you'd agree. To each their own, Porsche never turned my crank with the exception of the 911 and I could never afford one of those. It is, what it is. Get that girl's Fiero checked out, fixed and roadworthy. It's a great father/daughter project.

Rams

It takes a lot of work to make a convertible Fiero actually look good. A lot of times, people just cut the B-pillars and call it a day, like I did with this...

... and it just looks aweful. Most of the convertible Fieros I've seen have not been great, but one or two that were really well done, and they look amazing.

The odd thing with the Solstice... after I bought it... and keep in mind, I got it for a great price, $21,300 off the floor (I'd special ordered it after watching The Apprentice)... I kind of felt like I had less of a car. Like, the fact that it didn't have a roof made it feel like I'd paid a lot of money for something that was missing, hahah. I loved that car, I really did... and here in South Florida, I drove with the roof off almost all the time. But there were times I'd wished it was a hard-top.

I love Porsche, but less so the 911 (at least anything newer than 1970). The 944 is a really cool car to me, not the 924, not the 968, but the 944. I don't even like the Turbo one with the newer front and rear. I like the old-school bumper-pad looking one.

Well, ya just never know.... I used to pull either a horse trailer or a bass boat with this, more often the horse trailer:

That is hilarious! I can't even imagine a horse trailer being pulled by a Corvette, let alone one with a horse in it. A smaller-boat, or even jet-skis, I can totally see that. That's pretty awesome. I guess there were no issues really?
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2023 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It was a one horse single axle trailer. They were pretty common back iin the day. I had coil over shocks on the rear, which made it ride rough as heck but helped with the squat quite a bit. I remember getting to the top nut on the shocks was a real pain.
Took it on a weekend camping/fishing trip fishing trip one weekend to what used to be called Lake Texarkana.........from US Navy base Millington Tenn. A girl was involved...........

Weren't many troopers on I-40 across Arkansas back then.
Ain't many people can say they had a 14' bass boat go 100mph, even if it was for just a few miles..it got squirrelly back there, and I had to slow down.. (rented from Navy special services for $20/day, included a tent and 2 sleeping bags) ..we just used one of them. (before meeting my future wife)
Those, were the days!!!!!!!!!

blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2023 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I loved that car, I really did... and here in South Florida, I drove with the roof off almost all the time. But there were times I'd wished it was a hard-top.

I sat in a Coupe "hardtop" Solstice and decided it would never do for me. Hit my head getting in and out of it. Harder to get into and out of than a Fiero ever was.
Nope, I've never (not even once) driven my Solstice with the top up. I really do love that little car.

Rams
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2023 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I sat in a Coupe "hardtop" Solstice and decided it would never do for me. Hit my head getting in and out of it. Harder to get into and out of than a Fiero ever was.
Nope, I've never (not even once) driven my Solstice with the top up. I really do love that little car.

Rams

Jane and I went to the Pontiac/Chevy dealer in 2008 and they had a yellow GXP in the showroom Jane wanted badly but I knew that conv top wouldn't last where we lived and no garage. She was heartbroke when I drove up with a new Chev truck instead.
If one comes up for sale near me in good mech condition, I may buy her one now tho.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2023 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

maryjane

69662 posts
Member since Apr 2001
Evidntly, a luggage trunk and a spare tire isn't one of Soltice's big selliing points:

"My 2009 GXP is a delight. Goes like stink, handles like a cat on carpet, stops like glue and (if I keep my toes out of the fan) averages 32 mpg. Bought new in Denver, I now have over 146K miles on it. Replaced cracked turbo at 124K. With top down, my luggage is a shaving kit. Installed Hidden Hitch for Tag-Along trailer to carry a spare on road trips. Towing trailer at 85, mileage drops to 28. Keeping it till I expire."

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2023 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Jane and I went to the Pontiac/Chevy dealer in 2008 and they had a yellow GXP in the showroom Jane wanted badly but I knew that conv top wouldn't last where we lived and no garage.

I picked up my Solstice in December of 2005, and I sold it in August of 2009. So I had it for a little over 3 and a half years. I sold it with 28k miles, and during that time, I didn't really have any issues with it, except the rear-end, and a few things with the top.

The top stretched... to the point that it began to balloon up a little bit while driving. It didn't remain "taught" like you'd expect when the top was new. It also wasn't ideal to leave the top down and stowed, because it would routinely crease... which would then take several days of having the top up, go back to normal.

Two issues I had with the roof is that the handle fell off. Not really a problem, I just re-attached it and replaced the screw. The next issue was that the window de-laminated from the sunroof. Basically... the glass separated around the entire top. I ended up buying this some kind of black GM window adhesive... which was the recommended factory repair, and it was back to normal. The car was under warranty, but I refused to take the car to the dealership because I hate having other people touch my car, so I repaired it myself. Other than that, everything was great.

Evidntly, a luggage trunk and a spare tire isn't one of Soltice's big selliing points:

Yeah, not a lot of room... but I used it to drive back and forth to work, which was like 4 miles from my house, and to go to the beach, and occasionally go down town. When I first bought it, no one had ever seen one, so everyone thought it was some kind of super-car. Like.. imagine, it's December of 2005, I had the first one in Fort Lauderdale (basically), which was not intentional... just happened that way. Every single light that I'd go to, people would be taking pictures of the car, and in many cases, people would literally jump out of their car, stand in front of me, and take pictures with their flip-phone cameras (which is what everyone had in 2005).

I looked young at the time, so I still remember this couple in a really beat-ass work-fan. This lady stuck her head out and was talking really nice to me, and asking me about the car... and then she started harassing me asking if "daddy" bought it for me for Christmas. I was like... Lady... I'm 28 friggin' years old... and it was a $21k car, that I was financing. But she insisted I was some spoiled little **** from a wealthy family, hahah. I started to really NOT like the attention I was getting in my Solstice. For almost the entire first year of ownership, people would go crazy around it. I couldn't get gas without people running over to my car and taking pictures and starting up a conversation... usually nice, but sometimes people being nasty ... like they were offended that my car might be better than theirs. There was one guy at a gas station who had some old Nissan Sentra, and was telling me how his car was way faster and quicker than mine. Same thing happened with a guy that had some Lexus 2-seater. Weirdest thing ever... like... who starts up conversations like that, and why should I even care if someone's car is faster than mine?

Anyway, to answer your question... there is room in the back under the decklid. It's probably a little more than twice the size of the space you'd find in the FRONT of the Fiero. Like... you could put a large back-pack, or a suite-case. Keep in mind, there was no spare tire. There was a can of Fix-a-Flat (if I'm not mistaken), which was attached to an electric tire pump. Some kind of thing where they worked together, and this was your spare, basically...
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2023 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Don,
I enjoy the heck out of my Solstice. The wife doesn't mind it but, not a big fan of all that air. Always wants the windows up. People are different is all I can say. Correct on the spare tire, there isn't one and there is no place to carry one. Especially if, the convertible top is in the trunk. There is no doubt there are compromises one must make if you want to travel overnight in a Solstice but, that's also true of a Fiero.

I mounted a hidden hitch and now pull the same little tag-a-long trailer I pull with my bike or my trike. I also bought a cargo carrier I've used a couple of times. The Solstice doesn't even notice it back there. I would suggest that most GXPs have had the crap run out of them and that the base model with the 2.4L and 5 speed manual are better than the GXPs but, that's just my opinion.

I also agree that having a Solstice and no covered parking area is just asking for fabric issues and possibly interior problems when that top leaks. Very much like a Fiero T Top or moonroof car with leaky seals.

Rams
cliffw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2023 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Your daughter will make a good mate for my grandson(s). She can take her pick.

The picture above made me cringe. I used to own a tow dolly. I want to post this as a public service to Fiero owners. You loaded it correctly. Not because the rear wheels are not free wheeling. Because any trailer needs more weight up front to prevent swaying.

You did not secure it correctly. I have towed many a Fiero. Once, the direction of travel, speed, and natural nature caused my rear lid to blow open. I always tie it down to prevent that.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2023 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:
I have towed many a Fiero. Once, the direction of travel, speed, and natural nature caused my rear lid to blow open. I always tie it down to prevent that.

Did it break the rear glass?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2023 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You loaded it correctly. Not because the rear wheels are not free wheeling. Because any trailer needs more weight up front to prevent swaying.

Not freewheeling? Not even a with a manual transmission?

I have practically no experience towing anything... but I'd prefer that a towed Fiero (or any vehicle) be pointing forward, to prevent doors, hood, decklid from blowing open. Also wouldn't need to worry about securing the front wheels pointing straight. If the front of a Fiero was on a tow dolly, wouldn't that be enough weight to keep the dolly from getting squirrely?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-15-2023).]

PFF
System Bot
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2023 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:
Did it break the rear glass?

No. I was wondering why. It was an interesting discussion with the wife though.

Originally posted by Patrick:

Not freewheeling? Not even a with a manual transmission?

My statement was mostly true.

I have no experience towing anything... but I'd prefer that a towed Fiero (or any vehicle) be pointing forward, to prevent doors, hood, decklid from blowing open. Also wouldn't need to worry about securing the front wheels pointing straight. If the front of a Fiero was on a tow dolly, wouldn't that be enough weight to keep the dolly from getting squirrely?

On any vehicle ? Most vehicle's hoods can blow open. Touche, .

Any trailer is supposed to have more weight at the tounge / hitch. I believe the tounge is supposed to have at least 10% more weight forward of the trailer wheels, per total payload weight.

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2023 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Any trailer is supposed to have more weight at the tounge / hitch. I believe the tounge is supposed to have at least 10% more weight forward of the trailer wheels, per total payload weight.

Look closely at this photo........ I believe he exceeded by far, that 10% tounge weight rule, as well as the trailers gross payload capacity, as well as the tire load weight capacity..
I had that very same model, length, and brand trailer at one time. It was rated at 5,140lb payload capacity which I sometimes exceeded a 'little' with 5 round bales of hay on it.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 03-14-2023).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2023 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Most vehicle's hoods can blow open.

I suspect that's a rather rare occurrence, seeing as how vehicles (and their hoods) are designed to blast down the freeway while going forward.

I understand what you're saying in regards to a trailer, where the entire payload is on the trailer... but does that necessarily apply to a tow dolly, where a great deal of the payload's weight is sitting on one of its own axles? Again, I have practically no towing experience to draw from... but wouldn't whatever the weight of the payload that's in front of the tow dolly's axle be sufficient to stabilize it, since there is no payload weight on the tow dolly to the rear of the tow dolly's axle?

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2023 07:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Look closely at this photo........ I believe he exceeded by far, that 10% tounge weight rule, as well as the trailers gross payload capacity, as well as the tire load weight capacity.

Yes, I have tested payload capacities many a time, . There is a safety / dummy factor in ratings.

I suspect that's a rather rare occurrence, seeing as how vehicles (and their hoods) are designed to blast down the freeway while going forward .

, , true that. However, a Fiero's engine cover is designed to go the other way,

I understand what you're saying in regards to a trailer, where the entire payload is on the trailer... but does that necessarily apply to a tow dolly, where a great deal of the payload's weight is sitting on one of its own axles?

Yes ! Ask me how I know. My 99 Ford F150 blew a head gasket. In a spot where it had to be loaded "backwards". I borrowed a friends vehicle and was towing it to the shop. It got squirrely and caused it to roll on one side. Tow dolly and all. I was lucky. I did not cause an accident nor did the incident cause my borrowed vehicle to roll.

Again, I have no towing experience to draw from... but wouldn't whatever the weight of the payload that's in front of the tow dolly's axle be sufficient to stabilize it, since there is no payload weight on the tow dolly to the rear of the tow dolly's axle?

No !

I was thinking, and upon further thought I need to mention that a tow vehicle's tow rating needs to be followed. Also the actual tow hitch's rating. Also, all tow hitch ratings give a tounge load guideline. I have noticed it is usually / always 10 % of the hitch rating.

[This message has been edited by cliffw (edited 03-14-2023).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2023 07:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No, it does not Patrick. Dollies are engineered to transfer only about 100-200 lbs to the vehicles towing hitch when towing a light car. That's less than around 10% of the vehicle's weight. But, you don't need the 10% on a dolly that has brakes.
The dolly's axle tho, does 'see' around 10% of the vehicle's weight if the towed vehicle fall within the rated capacity of the dolly.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2023 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Look closely at this photo........ I believe he exceeded by far, that 10% tounge weight rule, as well as the trailers gross payload capacity, as well as the tire load weight capacity..
I had that very same model, length, and brand trailer at one time. It was rated at 5,140lb payload capacity which I sometimes exceeded a 'little' with 5 round bales of hay on it.

Oh man, I don’t even know where to begin. The DOT would have a field day with that one.

When I was Director of Safety for a flatbed carrier, I kept a picture on my desk that I found on the CVSA website. It showed a large dozer with an RGN trailer behind it and a Peterbilt hood in front. On closer inspection, you could see the rest of the Pete underneath the dozer.

One day, a driver came in with a single track from a large crane on his trailer. He had it tied down with two 5/16th chains. That one track weighed 45,000lbs. I had to explain a few things to him.

I want to post this as a public service to Fiero owners. You loaded it correctly. Not because the rear wheels are not free wheeling. Because any trailer needs more weight up front to prevent swaying.

This is a fact. Anyone who has ever driven an empty trailer with a pigyback forklift hanging on the back will know why.

I understand what you're saying in regards to a trailer, where the entire payload is on the trailer... but does that necessarily apply to a tow dolly, where a great deal of the payload's weight is sitting on one of its own axles? Again, I have no towing experience to draw from... but wouldn't whatever the weight of the payload that's in front of the tow dolly's axle be sufficient to stabilize it, since there is no payload weight on the tow dolly to the rear of the tow dolly's axle?

No, it does not Patrick. Dollies are engineered to transfer only about 100-200 lbs to the vehicles towing hitch when towing a light car. That's less than around 10% of the vehicle's weight. But, you don't need the 10% on a dolly that has brakes.
The dolly's axle tho, does 'see' around 10% of the vehicle's weight if the towed vehicle fall within the rated capacity of the dolly.

Much like a converter dolly turns a semi-trailer into a full trailer, a car and tow dolly become a single unit.

Just the ramblings of an old retired gearjammer.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 03-14-2023).]

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2023 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My Lord!! Look at the frame (from the bed to the hitch coupler), I'm amazed the tires didn't blow when they loaded that dozer on the trailer. Frame is sitting on the axles. That's an accident waiting to be discovered. Ya don't really need to worry about that load being secured, it won't be going far anyway............ Would love to see what was towing that load..........

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 03-14-2023).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2023 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay, three of you have addressed this... and I think you're all in agreement, that any vehicle (including a Fiero) needs to have its heaviest end on the tow dolly.

With most vehicles, that would be the front end... but with a Fiero (and I suppose a Porsche 911 and/or an old original VW Beetle), the rear end should be on the dolly. Okay, lesson learned.

With the subject matter in mind, I have a riddle, based on actual personal experience.

I've towed a half-dozen trailers in my life.
I've only ever once towed a trailer.
How can both statements be true?

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2023 07:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've towed a half-dozen trailers in my life.
I've only ever once towed a trailer.
How can both statements be true?

Five trailers were loaded on one trailer.

... I'm amazed the tires didn't blow when they loaded that dozer on the trailer.

Well, if you notice, the front tire on that trailer IS flat. I would like to see the jack needed to change it, .

One other thing I should mention. A one item load should not be all the way to the front of the trailer. That load should be "centered" slightly on front of the axle(s) to get the 10%.

[This message has been edited by cliffw (edited 03-15-2023).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2023 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My Lord!! Look at the frame (from the bed to the hitch coupler), I'm amazed the tires didn't blow when they loaded that dozer on the trailer. Frame is sitting on the axles. That's an accident waiting to be discovered. Ya don't really need to worry about that load being secured, it won't be going far anyway............ Would love to see what was towing that load..........

Rams

I think that is a D-4K Cat. Weighs around 28,000 lbs bare bones. The ripper would be another 1,200lbs and probably about the same for the blade so yeah, trailer is WAY over loaded. I believe both left tires are flat and the left rear ramp is just hangin there... Appears to be pulled by some kind of dump truck..
I don't know how it didn't break thru the boards of the trailer...

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 03-15-2023).]

PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2023 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Skip the dolly altogether, auto transport plus a 3/4 ton, made it from northern Michigan to New Jersey in 13 hours, including going over the Appalachians, zero effort.

I've driven over the Rockies, that might be a bit harrier around Salt Lake City, definitely want an over-kill tow rig on that route.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2023 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Five trailers were loaded on one trailer.

Bingo!

Back in the early 80's, I worked for several months at a place that built EZ Loader boat trailers. My job was assembling these trailers. However, one day they asked me to deliver six trailers (five stacked onto one) to a location several miles away. Not only had I never pulled a trailer before, but the vehicle used to pull the trailer was a panel van with no windows (other than the windshield and two front side windows). I had never driven a vehicle before where you HAD to rely on a mirror on the passenger side to change lanes. Keep in mind, I'd be driving in heavy city traffic. Anyway, I got to where I had to go without sideswiping anyone or running anyone off the road. However, when I got to the destination and realized the trailer would need to be backed into place, that's when I drew the line. I got out of the van and told the receiver that someone there would need to deal with parking the trailer.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2023 07:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Patrick, I know an old retired wildfire fighter and 'part time rancher' that makes a LOT of money delivering trailers from Va to all over the USA. Takes a load with the same truck & gooseneck trailer he hauls his hay with about 2 trips/ month.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2023 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Patrick, I know an old retired wildfire fighter and 'part time rancher' that makes a LOT of money delivering trailers from Va to all over the USA. Takes a load with the same truck & gooseneck trailer he hauls his hay with about 2 trips/ month.

Does he need any help, I'm somewhat bored with retirement.................

Rams
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2023 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dunno Ron, but You would spend lots of empty miles going to his pickup point in Va. You should look into it there in Miss tho. I see those guys all the time delivering a trailer load of trailers both where I used to live and out here in Central Tx too.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2023 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

... My job was assembling these trailers. However, one day they asked me to deliver six trailers (five stacked onto one) to a location several miles away ...

I thought the riddle was hypothetical.

Oil rigs need to be moved often. We would send many 18 wheeler trailers to get the job done. Occasionally, I had to load/unload them. Eight on one trailer. Stacked on each other, staggered, one tounge facing forward, the next backwards.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2023 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, was on vacation, which is why I didn't respond earlier Cliff.

Yeah, I was in a hurry to get there. I made sure to use extra tie straps from the cradle to the mounting points. But I didn't tighten-down the decklid. It was solidly on there, and I didn't really excede the 55mph speed rating for the dolly. I think on the highway, I might have gone 60mph at times when I was passing... but I generally stayed 55, or even 35 when I was going down the backroads.

I always load a car based on the driving wheels. Even with a manual transmission, you're using the bearings within the transmission, and spinning the half-shafts if the rear wheels are on the pavement. I towed a Porsche 944, and also towed it this same way (back-end first).

Like RWDPLZ, when I towed my 87 Fiero into storage, I towed it using one of those, and a U-Haul truck. I could probably do that with my Crown Victoria... but it was just easier for me to get a dolly and be done with it.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2023 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On most front engine rwd cars, you can pull the driveshaft and tow them with front (non-driving) wheels on the dolly. I towed a Pontiac Ventura like that. Of course, It lost some transmission fluid too.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2023 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...I didn't tighten-down the decklid. It was solidly on there ...

Did you stress test it ? I did stress test. mine, without it being secured while towing it down the road.

Even the lucky get unlucky sometimes. I am glad it worked out, for you.

I always load a car based on the driving wheels. Even with a manual transmission, you're using the bearings within the transmission, and spinning the half-shafts if the rear wheels are on the pavement. I towed a Porsche 944, and also towed it this same way (back-end first).

I had to think about that. So many different engine/drive wheel combinations. I am still unsure if your beliefs make sense. I have never been wrong but often mistaken.

No matter how you tow a vehicle, the tow wheels (pavement) are always going to get some wear. No more than driving though.

Again, I am glad it always worked out. Not the best idea in the future. Physics demand that more weight is needed to the front of the tow axle(s). (Trailer or dolly)

The truck I flipped was towed with the drive axles on the dolly. RWD. Engine weight on the pavement. More weight.

A Porsche should be towed engine on dolly, as so a Volkswagen and a Fiero need to be.

On most front engine rwd cars, you can pull the driveshaft and tow them with front (non-driving) wheels on the dolly. I towed a Pontiac Ventura like that. Of course, It lost some transmission fluid too.

It should, at the angle of being loaded. I have pulled motor/tranny combos (engine hoist), dropped transmissions from under the vehicle, and spilled transmission fluid. Until, I took a matching yoke from a matching drive shaft, and used it to prevent fluid loss. I had a few different yokes, for different needs.

They also have cable actuated driveshaft disconnects. From the drivers seat. To keep from pulling a drive shaft.

A_Lonely_Potato

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2023 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for A_Lonely_PotatoSend a Private Message to A_Lonely_PotatoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
towed my fiero rear wheels on the ground. my steering lock doesn't work however, so it was the safer option.
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2023 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Did you stress test it?

Totally! The entire 4 hour drive, it didn't so much as budge.... hahah...

I did get lucky, the trunk has a problem properly latching... so yeah... someone was looking out for me...

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2023 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by A_Lonely_Potato:
towed my fiero rear wheels on the ground. my steering lock doesn't work however, so it was the safer option.

Mr Potato, (sorry for the dry humor), I never trust a steering wheel lock. I always use a ratchet strap to secure the steering wheel's position.

From a passenger's side anchor point, around the passenger's side of the steering wheel, across the steering wheel, to around the drivers side, ending on a driver's side anchor point.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2023 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alright... here it is... my daughter's first video for her car series. She's put this together because she wants to document the work that she's going to be doing to her car. She's pretty excited. I'm helping her learn how to fix some of the things, but she's insisted on doing pretty much everything herself.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2023 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Alright... here it is... my daughter's first video for her car series.

Isn't there a forum rule against cross-posting? I commented in the other thread.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2023 04:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Isn't there a forum rule against cross-posting? I commented in the other thread.

Come to think of it, there is. Something like don't start a thread that you started in another subsection.

Geeze, do we need lawyers here on PFF to defend our actions, ?

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2023 05:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I for one, am very pleased that you started and have continued to update this thread here in OT.
Looking forward to viewing the youtube vid once my wife wakes up..my headphones for the laptop didn't survive the move.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2023 07:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No matter how you tow a vehicle, the tow wheels (pavement) are always going to get some wear. No more than driving though.

We must tow in significantly different ways. I've towed many vehicles and have yet to ever put any wear on a wheel. The tires Yes but never a wheel.

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 03-24-2023).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2023 07:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You're supposed to leave the tires ON the wheels when towing???

NOW ya tell me...
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2023 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I take that rule to mean that you cannot post the exact same thread, in two subforums. In this case, in General, I posted just the first video my daughter put together. In this thread though in T-O/T, this thread is about the fact that I just bought another Fiero for my daughter, and that it's about me working with her to get it fixed. I had planned to make a separate post in General for each video she posts, but keep this one updated now and then (for whoever might be interested) on all the other stuff. I didn't even think about that as cross-posting, but I won't do it if Cliff thinks it's a waste.

I for one, am very pleased that you started and have continued to update this thread here in OT.
Looking forward to viewing the youtube vid once my wife wakes up..my headphones for the laptop didn't survive the move.

Thanks MJ, she's really liking this, and is really proud of the car. Most kids her age could care less about cars, even it seems, high school kids. They view it more of a status thing, if anything at all. But she really likes the look of it, and just lights up every time she sits in it.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock