Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Gen-Z-Garage - What to look for when buying a Fiero!

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Gen-Z-Garage - What to look for when buying a Fiero! by 82-T/A [At Work]
Started on: 03-23-2023 09:08 PM
Replies: 32 (525 views)
Last post by: 82-T/A [At Work] on 04-07-2023 07:08 PM
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 199
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2023 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hope you guys don't mind me spamming... I recently bought my daughter a used Fiero, and she asked to document the process as she goes about restoring it. So she created this YouTube channel. She's done a lot of the editing, but I was helping with the camera work. She's insisted on doing almost everything she can separately. Obviously, she's not old enough yet to drive, but she wants to have it completely restored by the time she's got her learners permit... so it's going to be a process. We did this with a shoddy camera and not a light of lighting. I promised her an early birthday present, so we got a better camera and lights for her next video, plus a boom microphone. But this is her first video, so please take a look...

Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cliffw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2023 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am having audio issues. Looking forward to hearing it. Looks good.

I guess you need a double barreled shotgun. A daughter with a Fiero, .
armos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2023 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for armosSend a Private Message to armosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That car looks to be in great shape overall. The 84 I had when I was young was such a pile compared to that car.

She's a lot more confident on camera than I'd ever be, and she'll keep getting more confident as she gets used to it. That was a good first video.
The little outtake at the end helps add personality, it was good to include that.
I hope you're all ready for the occasional sleazebag or hyper-competitive/insulting comments that are bound to show up on youtube every now and then.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2023 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your daughter is very well spoken, especially considering she's only 14 years old! Great job on her first video.

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

I promised her an early birthday present, so we got a better camera and lights for her next video, plus a boom microphone.

I've shot a lot of video dating back to 1990. A boom mic is definitely an improvement over a camera's built-in mic, but I'd recommend a lavalier mic. Bar none, it's the best style of mic to use in this type of situation. It won't pick up background noise, nor will it pick up any "echo" of your daughter's voice.

A wired lavalier mic works well in a "studio" (garage) setting. Sure, a wireless lavalier mic gives a bit more freedom of movement, but they're pricier, and the less expensive ones can be potentially prone to picking up electromagnetic interference.

Originally posted by armos:

I hope you're all ready for the occasional sleazebag or hyper-competitive/insulting comments that are bound to show up on youtube every now and then.

Most excellent point.

Todd, if you haven't already done so, maybe set your daughter's YouTube videos to... Hold all comments for review... or at least to... Hold potentially inappropriate comments for review

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-24-2023).]

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post03-24-2023 05:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

or at least to... Hold potentially inappropriate comments for review

Ya mean like....

THATS one funny looking kitchen !!!!!!

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2023 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

I am having audio issues. Looking forward to hearing it. Looks good.

I guess you need a double barreled shotgun. A daughter with a Fiero, .

Haha, thanks, yeah... I know. I basically told her that she's going to get a lot of crazy comments.

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

THATS one funny looking kitchen !!!!!!

...like this one! haha....

Originally posted by armos:

That car looks to be in great shape overall. The 84 I had when I was young was such a pile compared to that car.

She's a lot more confident on camera than I'd ever be, and she'll keep getting more confident as she gets used to it. That was a good first video.
The little outtake at the end helps add personality, it was good to include that.

Yeah, I basically told her that she's going to get all kinds of stuff, some of them probably messed up. She's old enough that she understands whats going on... and how a lot of people think, so she's not really bothered by it. I am going to have her moderate the comments, but I also told her that it's important to not allow things like this to bother her. If someone posts a bad comment, she has to take it in stride... is there any merit to what's being posted? ... is there any value to what's been posted? ... how does this compare to the overwhelming majority of other comments? ... and finally, even if negative, is there some value in improvement from it?

But she's expecting perverse comments. Apparently, it won't be much worse than what these girls get in middle school right now. I don't remember being vulgar in middle school, but I guess kids today have no problems saying really perverted things to girls in their class.

Your daughter is very well spoken, especially considering she's only 14 years old! Great job on her first video.

I've shot a lot of video dating back to 1990. A boom mic is definitely an improvement over a camera's built-in mic, but I'd recommend a lavalier mic. Bar none, it's the best style of mic to use in this type of situation. It won't pick up background noise, nor will it pick up any "echo" of your daughter's voice.

A wired lavalier mic works well in a "studio" (garage) setting. Sure, a wireless lavalier mic gives a bit more freedom of movement, but they're pricier, and the less expensive ones can be potentially prone to picking up electromagnetic interference.

Todd, if you haven't already done so, maybe set your daughter's YouTube videos to... Hold all comments for review... or at least to... Hold potentially inappropriate comments for review

I've never heard of this kind of mic, I will definitely check it out, thanks Patrick!

Yeah, I'm actually quite impressed with everything she does. I don't want to go on a bragging streak... but suffice it to say, I was no where near the maturity she was when I was her age. I was knocking over port-o-potties and getting Cs in school. At this point in her life, she's already written two books, knows how to program, hacked an online game (which she shouldn't have done), and has had straight-As for 5 years straight... like, not even a B. So... it must all come from mom.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2023 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is good stuff!

Gonna toss random stuff out at you while I watch...

Dr. Patrick addressed the mic situation, there are a lot of solutions for that (he also mentioned those)

Sounds like she used a script (which is a GOOD THING!) no "uhhhh" "ummmm" that I can recall hearing...

She has a very good speaking voice.

Arrow pointing the thingie! (nice!), crisp graphics and overlays, transitions are quick (good!)

The trunk carpet - its a good idea to check both sides -our car had one side pristine, the other side chewed away by the cancer.(have to repair that)

*hah birthday present joke*

good camera angles

Lighting is good (seemed much better after the first minute and a half - may want to toss an LED panel on a tripod to eliminate her darker right side.

Good background stuff hanging in the clean garage.

She addressed several things we were going to check in a month...
(check fluids)

Cute short end clip - Nice!

---------------------------
Here's a nice way for her to generate some funding for "parts and such":

Make stickers of that logo at the end (9:50), one with just the Gen Z Garage, one that is larger which includes the pink aluminum steel plate. Do one final one with the Gen Z Garage, but get it "Hologram" style, so that the white is "hologram"

3-5 bucks for the small one. 7 for the hologram, 10 for the large.

Also not a terrible thing to have stickers that she can hand out/trade with other folks.

There are a bunch of sticker companies with very reasonable rates, small "batch" sizes, large discounts for first time orders,etc.

-----------------------------

Only thing regarding the 'visuals' - Maybe use white text instead of purple for the text, and a bit thicker. (9:08)

the gloves are a good thing.

Overall:

This is all so polished, I feel like the little things (like the purple text) are there so you see her videos improve.

She seems 16-18 - Definitely have her use a different account for email and contact. and please enable what others have said above about moderating the comments. I'll DM you about some stuff.

Congratulations, man, this is great to see!

[This message has been edited by TheDigitalAlchemist (edited 03-24-2023).]

TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2023 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TheDigitalAlchemist

12468 posts
Member since Jan 2012
This sort of "swag" is just kinda nice to have:

(stickers)

Oh, and its really great that it doesn't "feel" like she is reading off a script, nor is she 'boring'. Having great shots like the two coolants in the cups is great.

and its a good length. not too long. and the title includes the episode number and info about what's in it, and the name of the channel.

Might want to shorten the channel name to match "Gen Z Garage"

Definitely get a decent toolbox which can be seen in some shots. and have her logo on it, maybe spray stenciled... or just the sticker...
the overhead shots of that resting on the workbench with her hands holding a part will become a "set".

*edit* that toolbox and workbench in the back are PERFECT.

This channel feels like it will contain a lot of actual information, not just another Youtuber who wants to blab.

Hope it stays fun and stress-free for her and you!

Don't promise a certain amount of content within a certain amount of time. That seems to crush/stress out a lot of folks...
*wonders which season of gZg will feature the engine swap*

[This message has been edited by TheDigitalAlchemist (edited 03-24-2023).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2023 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:

This is good stuff! Gonna toss random stuff out at you while I watch... Dr. Patrick addressed the mic situation, there are a lot of solutions for that (he also mentioned those).
Sounds like she used a script (which is a GOOD THING!) no "uhhhh" "ummmm" that I can recall hearing... She has a very good speaking voice. Arrow pointing the thingie! (nice!), crisp graphics and overlays, transitions are quick (good!) The trunk carpet - its a good idea to check both sides -our car had one side pristine, the other side chewed away by the cancer.(have to repair that), *hah birthday present joke* good camera angles,

Thank you so much for this feedback! I did have a question on the Lavalier mic. There are two kinds that are coming up... one seems to attach to the shirt / lappel, and the other one attaches to the top of the camera. I bought one yesterday that attaches to the top of the camera (where you might otherwise attach an extra flash). Should I have gotten the kind where the receiver attaches to your belt clip in the back, and you have a wireless mic attached to your lapel?

Lighting is good (seemed much better after the first minujte and a half - may want to toss an LED panel on a tripod to eliminate her darker right side.

Yeah, this was the worst part I think. Lighting was just really, really bad. I bought two LED mounted tri-pod stands on Amazon a few days ago. "Work lights" as they called them. They light up the ENTIRE room now. I also bought a couple of LED strip lights that I can place like in a footwell or in the trunk, etc... so I'm hoping her next video is better.

Good background stuff hanging in the clean garage.

She addressed several things we were going to check in a month...
(check fluids)

Cute short end clip - Nice!

Thank you, to be honest... that's how I've tried to keep the garage, but I did do some last minute stuff for her before I got it all together. In the back, I moved the television (which is normally just playing "This Old House" to the center, and I had to paint that back wall. I literally had completed it the day before she started recording, hahah.

This sort of "swag" is just kinda nice to have:

HAH! Those are AWESOME!!! I can't believe how cool that is. To be completely honest, she ONLY wanted to do this because she wants to get into a specific college, and she thinks this will help her chances. But now that she's done it, she really enjoyed the process (not so much the video editing). But yeah... I obviously helped her with the script, because she doesn't know most of this stuff, so I've been going through it with her. But I'm definitely going to get some swag printed.

Oh, and its really great that it doesn't "feel" like she is reading off a script, nor is she 'boring'. Having great shots like the two coolants in the cups is great.

and its a good length. not too long. and the title includes the episode number and info about what's in it, and the name of the channel.

Might want to shorten the channel name to match "Gen Z Garage"

Definitely appreciate these comments as well. She wanted to name it Gen Z Garage, but there already was one that someone created 8 months ago, same name... but they don't really have any content or anything. I may see if I can just rename the channel for her, rather than the username.

Definitely get a decent toolbox which can be seen in some shots. and have her logo on it, maybe spray stenciled... or just the sticker...
the overhead shots of that resting on the workbench with her hands holding a part will become a "set".
*edit* that toolbox and workbench in the back are PERFECT.

Thank you, I was definitely thinking about this. What kind of "workbench" are you thinking? One of those rolling-carts that has a solid top but open underneath? Something that she can perhaps actually work on?

The only problem for me is that I usually park my car in the bay next to it... but I can easily move all the stuff out of the way. I also have my Crown Victoria parked in there, in the bay next to that (3-car). I also have my Bowflex, which I use, haha... so... I don't know what to do but I may have to move all this stuff out of the way to give her some more room if she's going to really follow-through with it.

This channel feels like it will contain a lot of actual information, not just another Youtuber who wants to blab.
Hope it stays fun and stress-free for her and you!

Don't promise a certain amount of content within a certain amount of time. That seems to crush/stress out a lot of folks...
*wonders which season of gZg will feature the engine swap*

RGR, thanks, I appreciate it!

This is all so polished, I feel like the little things (like the purple text) are there so you see her videos improve.

She seems 16-18 - Definitely have her use a different account for email and contact. and please enable what others have said above about moderating the comments. I'll DM you about some stuff.

Congratulations, man, this is great to see!

It's crazy, she literally just turned 14 a couple of months ago, and she's still in middle school. When I was her age, my friends and I were putting flaming poop bags on people's door steps and knocking over port-o-potties at construction sites!
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2023 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

She seems 16-18...

Except for in this last shot... where she looks to be about 12. And that's not a bad thing. They grow up so fast!

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2023 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

36516 posts
Member since Apr 99

I did have a question on the Lavalier mic. There are two kinds that are coming up... one seems to attach to the shirt / lappel, and the other one attaches to the top of the camera. I bought one yesterday that attaches to the top of the camera (where you might otherwise attach an extra flash). Should I have gotten the kind where the receiver attaches to your belt clip in the back, and you have a wireless mic attached to your lapel?

Keep in mind what audio you're trying to record. Are you wishing to record background noises, or your daughter's narration? You want the type of mic that mounts on the person, not the camera.

The wireless mics are nice... but as I stated earlier... they can pick up electromagnetic interference. I've used a wired lavalier mic for ages. Has about a 20 ft cord. Have never had to worry about EMI.

I'm not promoting this particular mic, but this represents the style of lavalier mic that I use. And of course, the use of any of these mics is based on the presumption that your camera has a 3.5mm mic input.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-24-2023).]

PFF
System Bot
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2023 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Except for in this last shot... where she looks to be about 12. And that's not a bad thing. They grow up so fast!

I KNOW - when I saw that, I thought it was from a few years earlier...!
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2023 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Keep in mind what audio you're trying to record. Are you wishing to record background noises, or your daughter's narration? You want the type of mic that mounts on the person, not the camera.

The wireless mics are nice... but as I stated earlier... they can pick up electromagnetic interference. I've used a wired lavalier mic for ages. Has about a 20 ft cord. Have never had to worry about EMI.

I'm not promoting this particular mic, but this represents the style of lavalier mic that I use. And of course, the use of any of these mics is based on the presumption that your camera has a 3.5mm mic input.

Perfect, just bought. Thanks!

I think there's a couple of things I can do here... for when she's actually WORKING on the car, I can use the mic that attaches to the top of the camera. For when she's sitting down and talking / womansplaining, I can use the lavalier. I just got a wired one like you said, plus an extension, and then also a Y-adaptor in case I want both connected at the same time.

Also... the hell with it, I just bought a 4K Video camera that's meant for video... so I don't have to use my Digital Rebel 3 SLR... or an iPhone, lol. We really live in an amazing time... it's all arriving by tomorrow morning.

Thanks!
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2023 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I think there's a couple of things I can do here... for when she's actually WORKING on the car, I can use the mic that attaches to the top of the camera. For when she's sitting down and talking / womansplaining, I can use the lavalier.

If she's explaining things while she's working on the car, you may still wish to use the lavalier mic... but do some experimenting. You'll soon discover what sounds best.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2023 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If she's explaining things while she's working on the car, you may still wish to use the lavalier mic... but do some experimenting. You'll soon discover what sounds best.

I got all the stuff in the mail. I also received that ~$160 4k Video recorder.

I've never seen such a crappy video camera in my entire life. The video quality was so poor, it's like I was watching something that had just been recorded on a flip phone. Literally, it was like watching an old VHS video. I have a Canon Digital Rebel EOS T3, and also an EOS SL1, and the quality between them and this "video camera" is like night and day. I couldn't believe how shitty the video was, I mean... I'm still pissed about it. I've never returned anything so fast in my entire life. There are like 50 shops on Amazon selling this exact same camera, all basically at the same price. Just unbelievable... the camera is just THAT bad.

I had to buy an adaptor for the Lavalier mic because I realized my EOS has a 2.5mm, versus the 3.5mm that I bought... so that comes in the mail tomorrow.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2023 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I got all the stuff in the mail. I also received that ~$160 4k Video recorder. I've never seen such a crappy video camera in my entire life. The video quality was so poor...

Geez, what did you expect for $160?

Back in the 1990's, I was spending $2000 for a camcorder!
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2023 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Geez, what did you expect for $160?

Back in the 1990's, I was spending $2000 for a camcorder!

I spent $5,200 on a 51" Sony rear-projection TV back in 2003, but earlier this year, I got a 75" Ultra-HD 4k Roku TV for $529 at Walmart!!!

So, prices are obviously cheaper. Anything made in China is going to be cheaper. There are others that are reasonably priced that would probably do well, but this was very obviously a hugely misrepresented camera. I mean, it's so bad... I can't even tell you.

I'm having a problem with my voice recorder, lol... the lavalier mic, or any mic... is not working in the line-in port. But the built-in mic works fine.

Doing it all from my Canon EOS Rebel though, it sounds and looks perfect... guess I'm just going to use that for everything...

I'd like to ACTUALLY get a video camera, that's MADE for recording video... and not use a digital "photo" camera to do video recording. Do you recommend anything?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2023 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...this was very obviously a hugely misrepresented camera. I mean, it's so bad... I can't even tell you.

Post a link. I want to see this piece of work!

Doing it all from my Canon EOS Rebel though, it sounds and looks perfect... guess I'm just going to use that for everything...

Too bad it hasn't got an external mic input.

I'd like to ACTUALLY get a video camera, that's MADE for recording video... and not use a digital "photo" camera to do video recording. Do you recommend anything?

No, sorry. I'm completely out of the loop in regards to what's available today.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2023 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Post a link. I want to see this piece of work!

Here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B3VCKX5S?

There's at least a dozen or more people on Amazon selling the same thing. If you don't read the reviews, and just look at it and base the quality on the stats and the example videos... you'd think it was a fantastic camera. It's so bad... I mean, SOOOO friggin' bad, I can't even begin to tell you. The review I wrote was blistering, if they even allow it. There's no way this has a near 5-Star rating.

EDIT: Like, it says it's 48mp... there is no damned way in hell that's 48mp. It's not even 8mp... it's realistically like 2mp... like, I'm serious... I think it's actually JUST 2mp. It's just all such bullshit.

Too bad it hasn't got an external mic input..

The Canon EOS Rebel T3? It does... it's a 2.5mm plug on the left side. it's hidden behind a little rubber flat that you pull back and it exposes the HDMI port and the USB 2 port.

[This message has been edited by 82-T/A [At Work] (edited 03-25-2023).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2023 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The Canon EOS Rebel T3? It does... it's a 2.5mm plug on the left side. it's hidden behind a little rubber flat that you pull back and it exposes the HDMI port and the USB 2 port.

You left off the T3 part earlier! The Canon EOS Rebel apparently does not have an external mic input. But if your model does, that's great! Just use the camera you have.

Here: 4K Video Camera Camcorder

The review I wrote was blistering, if they even allow it. There's no way this has a near 5-Star rating.

More blistering than the following one?

1.0 out of 5 stars This camera is a JOKE !!!!!
Reviewed in the United States on February 26, 2023

No words can describe how bad the video quality is on this camera. My cell phone from 2009 had better video. The digital noise is OVER THE TOP. In low light its laughably bad.. in very bright lit areas its better but still totally unacceptable. I can only guess that the 4 and 5 star reviews are either fake or people that have only used this camera outside in full daylight and do not care about the video quality. My first red flag was when I saw the charging cable. "MINI USB" .....not micro... MINI !! Mini usb plugs came around it 2000 and were officially deprecated in 2007!! This camera is a hoax.. likely made in china for about $20 and they figure even if 10% of people don't return this camera its still a profit. I should have known better.. You get what you pay for.. there is a reason that the "TRUE" 4k camcorders starting prices are $700 and up! It sucks there is nothing in the $400-$600 range.. buyer beware!!!!!!!!

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2023 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You left off the T3 part earlier! The Canon EOS Rebel apparently does not have an external mic input. But if your model does, that's great! Just use the camera you have.

Geeze, I'm glad you mentioned it. I just found out... that 2.5mm jack is actually just a remote switch for taking pictures... AAHHH!!!

But I found a video where they say you absolutely can have an external mic, you just have to use the USB port. There's a USB Mini to 3.5 jack adaptor, and apparently that's how you do it... so just ordered... but I won't get it until Monday... but good enough!

Originally posted by cliffw:

What is her PFF username ?

This is the last place I want her going... haha... God for bid she finds posts from me when I was 19.

[This message has been edited by 82-T/A [At Work] (edited 03-26-2023).]

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2023 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

But I found a video where they say you absolutely can have an external mic, you just have to use the USB port.

This video?

Reading the comments there, some people are reporting they can't either...

1) ...get the external mic to work at all
2) ...turn off the internal mic

My concern would be that even if the external mic works, and the internal mic can be muted, how are the audio levels controlled? Levels too high with be distorted. Levels too low will be noisy when boosted in post-production.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2023 07:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is her PFF username ?
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2023 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This video?

Reading the comments there, some people are reporting they can't either...

1) ...get the external mic to work at all
2) ...turn off the internal mic

My concern would be that even if the external mic works, and the internal mic can be muted, how are the audio levels controlled? Levels too high with be distorted. Levels too low will be noisy when boosted in post-production.

LOL! I can't win...

I'm going to test it when I get it... I'll run several tests before I just go for it... so we'll see.

Ok, problem solved. My wife has a Rebel EOS SL1, which is nicer than mine, and literally has a port that says "MIC" ... so, that's what I'll go with.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2023 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ok, problem solved. My wife has a Rebel EOS SL1, which is nicer than mine, and literally has a port that says "MIC" ... so, that's what I'll go with.

Excellent!

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2023 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

More blistering than the following one?

My review was approved, and this is what I wrote:

Verified Purchase - 1 out of 5 Stars
"Video quality worse than a 90s flip-phone!"
Reviewed in the United States 🇺🇸 on March 25, 2023

I really hate being mean, but this is probably the first thing I've returned in the past 5 years. The quality is so bad on this camera, that I'd honestly never use it. I read the instructions to make sure I was doing it right. The advertisement video of the girl at the beach... it's such nonsense, the quality is so incredibly bad, I really cannot emphasize this enough. It's like I'm watching a VHS video. I doubt seriously there is even a difference between 30/50/60fps, or switching between 1k, 2k, or 4k. I really am sorry to whomever designed and made this, but it should never have been sold. It's really, really, really bad.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2023 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The advertisement video... it's such nonsense...

But but but... with this fantastic camera, you get the babes!

And look at that 4K video quality. Outstanding!

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-27-2023).]

johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2023 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats to her! To you! To both of you!!!! Okay, gotta ask: what does she need toward completion? Some of us love to help new owners along their way. Call it "Motivation"!
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2023 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

Congrats to her! To you! To both of you!!!! Okay, gotta ask: what does she need toward completion? Some of us love to help new owners along their way. Call it "Motivation"!

Hi Johnny, I really appreciate this response! Financially, she needs nothing. I'm helping her through this, and the only adversary is time. She works hard and is involved in a lot of things, so it's more time than anything else. She likes television production, and she's very mechanically inclined. She was reluctant to do any of this (on YouTube), because I raised her to always be cautious about her identity on the internet. But she wants to get into a really good school (she has her sights on one in particular), and feels that she can learn from documenting this experience, while also improving her chances of getting into a good school. This is through no pressure of mine, she'd already determined the college she wanted to get into by the time she was 12... I literally never talked about school, or even said she had to go to college.

But I think more than anything, what can help her is positive comments in the YouTube channel, and sharing it. She's probably a couple of years away from monetizing, and not sure she'd be able to anyway at her age. When she's 18, she can worry about that, but the reinforcement of her doing a good job in the comments, and that people are interested in it... at least today for a lot of kids, is helpful. I'm moderating the comments.

I'm helping her edit her latest video, so I should be posting it possibly as early as tomorrow night. It's still a non-technical video, but the next task (I'm guiding her through this and teaching her along the way), is the fuel system. She's going to be emptying and dropping the tank (herself), and replacing the sending unit and fuel pump. The next video will be replacing all of the hard-lines, and then the video after that will be rebuilding the TBI unit.

I'll post a link to the next video in here.

Thank you!

EDIT: If anyone knows of a good "video camera" that I can give her for Christmas, this would be helpful. Right now, we're using my wife's Digital Rebel EOS, which is a still camera set to video mode. I'm sure it works fine, but I guess I kind of expect that there's a better video camera that I could be using... I just don't know what to buy (see videos above with me and Patrick, hahaha).

[This message has been edited by 82-T/A [At Work] (edited 04-05-2023).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2023 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If anyone knows of a good "video camera" that I can give her for Christmas, this would be helpful.

I'm not suggesting that it's necessary to buy one of the camcorders listed below... but if you read over the review, it might give you an idea of what features to look for, as well as an idea of the price spread.

The best camcorders in 2023: perfect all-in-one video cameras

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2023 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So... I just publisher her second video for her, and I made a separate post in the forum, if everyone gets grouchy, I'll just keep posting them here in this one thread.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/100402.html

But I figured I'd create a new thread, if no one is bothered by it.

[This message has been edited by 82-T/A [At Work] (edited 04-07-2023).]

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2023 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

But I figured I'd create a new thread, if no one is bothered by it.

Having a new thread for each video is a good idea, but IMO, instead of posting a second link to the video here, maybe you could post a link to the new thread itself. Otherwise, you're going to get discussion on each video split into two different threads (this one and the new one).

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2023 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Having a new thread for each video is a good idea, but IMO, instead of posting a second link to the video here, maybe you could post a link to the new thread itself. Otherwise, you're going to get discussion on each video split into two different threads (this one and the new one).

Good point... edited.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock